Question about a potential brewery series

dymogeek

So I have an idea for a series of caches that I'd like to place highlighting the many craft breweries in the area that I live in. My question is though, would this violate the Groundspeak guidelines (specifically section II, number 4, which prohibits commercial caches)?

I do not plan on endorsing the specific breweries any more than to say "There is a brewery here." The cache will be placed in such a way that it will be accessible at all times (not inside the brewery) and will not require any purchases.

Thanks for the advice!

I am told by Groundspeak that Geocaching is supposed to be family friendly.

Approving an alcohol-related cache would be hypocrisy.

Many breweries are actually brew pubs and as a result are very family friendly.

Also based on my bolding, we couldn't cache together, caching trips often end with a beer.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

Although precedent does not count for anything, this Brewery series avoided commercial references. I have seen a few others, so with a little care it should not be a problem.

Although not at a craft brewer, there used to be a cache near a Budweiser facility called "Beer Makes You Smart." I had to do that one for the title.

Naming it, This Buds for You", probably wouldn't be accepted.

So I have an idea for a series of caches that I'd like to place highlighting the many craft breweries in the area that I live in. My question is though, would this violate the Groundspeak guidelines (specifically section II, number 4, which prohibits commercial caches)?

I do not plan on endorsing the specific breweries any more than to say "There is a brewery here." The cache will be placed in such a way that it will be accessible at all times (not inside the brewery) and will not require any purchases.

Thanks for the advice!

I think it would be fine as long as you did not use any commercial or promotional language. Write the page from a historical viewpoint.

Are you kiddingi camp in Walmart at least 30 days a year and have found almost everyonei meet very helpful. in facti will be in the Elko one tonight

Google "the people of walmart". Not a pretty sight.

A vast majority of those photos are taken in Florida Walmarts. A smart person could probably get a government grant to study the reason why.

We had an intensive discussion on this rule within our local community. From my point of view, it's OK if a CO speaks about history, architecture, famous people who were somehow connected to the place. So to emphasize the interesting place itself, not its current commercial status.

I bet we all have visited geocaches in parks where you have to pay some entrance fee. Those were devoted to parks and I see no problem with them. From my point of view (as a cache seeker) a geocache with an interesting description about some unique building where certain historical events took place is more attractive than a cache with a short description like "there's some building I cannot name due to gc.com rules, just come and enjoy".

As for our local reviewer, I own a geocache in Moscow devoted to one of our famous "Stalin skyscrapers". It was a hotel from the very beginning, now it's one of Hilton hotels. My story was about how this building was constructed, what was the difference between it and other 6 skyscrapers of the same historical period, why this one was unique, people who built it, position it takes in this city district. After the reviewer declined my publication I removed the phrase "if you enter the building you can enjoy wonderful interior" because (as I understand now) it sounded like an invitation to a commercial venture. However I kept another phrase telling people that there was a Hilton hotel in this outstanding building. It was not a promotion of any commercial interest - it was a part of the history of this place. I thought that my story would sound stupid if I start cutting pieces from it. Soviet historians have done that for decades, you know. And yes, the cache was published. Of course, the hiding place was outside the building in a public area free from guards/CCTV and accessible 24/7.