Photo etiquette?

Hi,

New to GC and found my first today. Ive plenty of pictures for my own records but wanted to see what was 'acceptable' to post on the log...

.. Photos of area?

.. Photos of the site of the cache?

.. Photos of the container and contents of it?

.. Etc

Cap'n Dan

Hi,

New to GC and found my first today. Ive plenty of pictures for my own records but wanted to see what was 'acceptable' to post on the log...

.. Photos of area?

.. Etc

Cap'n Dan

Depends on the owner of the cache, read the description if they are against pics most will say

Did you know what type of container you were seeking? If not, don't post a pic of the container. Never post a pic of the container in it's hiding spot (or anywhere close). Cachers can pick a rock from a pic out of an acre of rocks. Keep the pics about you. I like seeing the smiling mugs of those who found my cache. I already know where it's hidden.

Hi,

.. Photos of area?

.. Etc

Cap'n Dan

All are usually OK. I've taken literally hundreds of these photos (see my gallery) and never had an owner complain. The only exception would be giving something away about the hide. Showing the container in its hiding place is a no no. If the container is a uniquely camouflaged one (fake birdhouse, fake sprinkler head, etc.) then don't do it. . But for run of the mill containers like ammo boxes, film canisters, Tupperware, if you've seen one container you've seen them all so no big deal. As a cache owner one of my favorite photos to see is one of happy cachers holding up the prize. Now if that prize was a fake pine cone that took me hours to craft I might not be as happy.

If you want to photograph yourself or your group with the container, simply move away a bit from the cache site and snap the photo. 99 percent of cache owners won't care. Worst case if one does he'll ask you to delete the photo, or delete your log and ask you to relog it sans the picture.

Edited by briansnat

I did get a few kind requests to remove pictures from logs I made,

no big deal, I just delete the picture.

I prefer it that way, today a CO can delete a picture with out asking first.

sometimes the experience at a cache site is just so great we feel we need to take a picture,

and at the same time a CO thinks the picture revels the cool thing he made,

we are very sorry and always open to fix it,

how ever some caches allready got a ton of spoiler pictures, then I dont mind uploading one more

if I feel my picture show something cool we did or saw,

we also try to take pictures where the container or hide is not directly shown

but if it is allready written out loud and clear what kind of container it is,

a picture of the box is not a spoiler at least I did not say it first,

and then it is alsays accepted..

have fun with this cool hobby, we love to look in our own gallery,

and even in others too, I think that is the idea, the gallery reflect what kind of cacher you are.

Avoid showing unique hide styles or unique containers (rare) or dead giveaways for the location of the container. Otherwise feel free to post as many pictures as you like.

I'd extend that to avoid taking photos of unique objects near ground zero. The cache owner may have specifically created the cache to bring you and others to some place where there is an unexpected sculpture, art, or a view and while posting a photo of the area might not spoil finding the cache it might spoil the surprise of what others may find near the cache.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your replies, very helpful. Also very good points about not ruining anything 'unexpected' near the site such as a view or artwork and about the photos with geotagging - I use an iPhone and wouldn't have thought to check that first - so thanks!

The only thing I am still unsure about is showing the contents of a cache. Would you say a photo showing the contents of a cache and what I have put in there myself is a) a good thing as its a sort of time record of the 'state' of the cache on that day, or B) not a good thing as it spoils the surprise etc? ... assuming this photo wouldnt give away any sort of disguised container etc.

Also, do these guidelines extend beyond the Geocache site - for example, if I had either a (private) facebook page or a public blog (not just about geocaching but a sort of personal blog about travelling, wildlife, etc etc...) , and posted images which may be spoilers, is that pretty much the same rules as above, or would it be OK as long as there wasn't anything which linked it to the GC, or would it be a complete no-no because of muggles viewing the page, or would it be OK if it was hidden behind a 'cut' .....what are your views?

Sorry for all of the questions but want to get it right :-)

I found my second today and found a trackable - yay - and found a lovely park I had no idea existed... already seeing the point of GC apart from the basic treasure hunt!! :D

Cap'n Dan

I have taken over 500 photos of cache finds, I take my cue from what is already posted by others,(if they are allowed, then I am allowed) and when in doubt, no one ever seems to object to a photo of just the logbook. Always check out what photos are already there before posting.

Only once, I was contacted by a cache owner, they didn't want the photo removed, just wanted the title of the photo changed, I politely complied.

Many cache owners have complimented me on the photos I take, mostly because they get to see the if the state of their cache is in good shape, or even if it isn't. Taking photos will help you to remember all of your finds better than if you just signed a log book and ran to the next one.

Also, do these guidelines extend beyond the Geocache site - for example, if I had either a (private) facebook page or a public blog (not just about geocaching but a sort of personal blog about travelling, wildlife, etc etc...) , and posted images which may be spoilers, is that pretty much the same rules as above, or would it be OK as long as there wasn't anything which linked it to the GC, or would it be a complete no-no because of muggles viewing the page, or would it be OK if it was hidden behind a 'cut' .....what are your views?

Sorry for all of the questions but want to get it right :-)

Showing the contents should generally be fine.

Yes the general rules for photos and spoilers extend to any publicly accessible web site/page out there.

Is there a way to upload photos of your journeys to the site just for your own record........not to be publically seen? Same with the log message. I just wanted to record things for fun with my daughter not to be shared. Or is there an add on application we can do this with?

What is logged and posted here is public. Flickr or other photos sharing sites allow you to upload photos and descriptions, keeping them as private as you wish. I enjoy adding photos to my gc account, but family stuff remains personal so I use other sites for that.

Is there a way to upload photos of your journeys to the site just for your own record........not to be publically seen? Same with the log message. I just wanted to record things for fun with my daughter not to be shared. Or is there an add on application we can do this with?

For private logs, you could use each cache listing page's "Personal Cache Note." Or GSAK.

Let the finder do what he is susposed to do to find the cache and don't help beyond what the CO has oftered. It is really neat to take pictures of other things of interest which might not be there when another cacher goes after the cache. Like an animal, a sunset, a view you found on your own. Other pics need to be something of interest! A warning sign. or infomation kios, a hazard, alternate parking, trail pics and trail features. Wildlife flowers bugs fish birds spiders, snakes, PI, funny growin trees. You get the idea. Just don't spoil the find itself and the game will be what it is susposed to be = a hunt for the cache! Hunt Hunt Hunt!

You can take pictures of your trade items and travel bugs. Learn the macro part of your camera so we can see the inside of an ants ear!

Hope you take as many pictures as I do - cause it is fun to do! Now go click on somethin!

Yes I have asked folks to remove their pic of the hide itself or a give away pic and each did so with no complaint! Only happened twice!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

On my caches, I welcome any and all photos (aside from nudity and stuff that the website would not allow).

I love to post photos and never had someone complain. I rarely post photos of the cache itself though since I think a lot of owners would frown upon having their tricky cache spoiled.

I would encourage the OP to post those pics as part of sharing the cache finding experience!

There is one particularly complex and special multi stage puzzle cache in this area that has its own closed FB group. The CO adds anyone who has found the cache and is interested to the group. This way you can share your pictures with other finders of the cache there and not give away any secrets.

If I post a photo, If's either of myself with the cache container, the contents or some interesting scenery in the area. All pointing away from the cache. If I post a picture of the container, I go for an extreme closeup. More to let anyone finding it to confirm that it is the container, and not something else. It's not a spoiler if you need to find the cache to identify it (eg the inside of the container or the corner).

I added a photo to a log, of the area around a cache covered in snow. I was careful to make sure that the photo did not reveal the hide and it certainly didn't contain any spoilers. The owner deleted my post and contacted me to say he didn't think it was a good idea to put photos of locations on logs.

This annoyed me, as I didn't feel that my photo breached any guidelines. The published coordinates take you there anyway, so why shouldn't I upload a pretty photo? By deleting my legitimate log and photo, did the CO himself breach Groundspeak guidelines?

In the interests of not getting involved in a dispute, I simply posted a new log, without my photo.

you could maybe kindly inform the CO, he can delete a log picture without deleting the log !

this way it is much easier for all parts involved.

Some CO's are VERY picky with this.. others love to play ruler of their cache

others even encurage pictures of it all,

so it is hard to figure out where the limit goes.

see the pictures of this log:

http://coord.info/GLA600D3

this is a puzzle, but you can not figure out where in the world the pictures are taken

so it dont really matter.. the pictures are really funny, but yes.. they spoil alot.

also go into the cache, and see the whole gallery.

Edited by OZ2CPU

Hi,

.. Photos of area?

.. Etc

Cap'n Dan

Depends on the CO. In most cases something scenic that doesn't provide additional hints would be okay. Scenic shots might draw those interested in such frills. If the pic makes the cache any easier though I personally would delete the pic if I were the CO. I have one pic for one of my multi-caches that just lets the person know they are in the right general area. Frame that pic a bit to the left or right and landmarks would possibly negate the need for finding the more difficult initial stage. Some people feel the need to post a pic so badly they post a pic of their hand with the log. And the purpose is???

If others have posted pics before you, feel free I guess. Then you would have to ask 'why' again though. As long as you don't change the difficulty of my caches, I don't care.

Some people feel the need to post a pic so badly they post a pic of their hand with the log. And the purpose is???

Containers are the least interesting part of the game to me -- although I have a friend who is a master at that. And I have never understood the log sheet pictures. Perhaps some form of hipster art that is beyond me. But give me a good view, street or public art, an old sign, abandoned buildings, rusting cars, ruins, sandhill cranes, or something else worthy of a picture and I am good to go. If a cache does not have a photo op someplace nearby, it was probably not worth doing. So post away.

I often try to take a picture of something that people might miss if they were focused only on the cache. The only time I have had an owner complain is when I uploaded a photo showing a bench that someone had brought into one of the most remote areas near where I live. It had nothing to do with the container, but the owner thought that it might spoil the surprise of finding something like that in the middle of nowhere, along a path that was little more than a deer trail. Since then I have broadened my definition of what might be a "spoiler."

Edited by geodarts

I take pictures of everything. But try not to post anything that would aid in the next cacher's enjoyment.

OK to post:

--yourself in the area, but try to walk 20+ feet away, with cache hide location not in-frame

--yourself with cache container, if it is described in the description and/or is pretty normal.

I post additional cache pics off-log but on facebook, local forum, personal website, etc.

I'm feeling a little guilty, because, as the cache owner, I just deleted two pictures posted by finders of one of our caches. I did not delete the logs, just the photos. The pictures were both taken a while ago, but unfortunately, although I do read all the logs posted by finders of our 32 caches, I do not get any notification that a photo has been posted.

What alerted me today was that a new finder said in his log that the photos were spoilers. This cache, like many of ours, has an unusual, hand-crafted container. It is also hidden in plain view, but camoflaged to be "invisible" to the average muggle. The photos both showed the container itself, and that really spoils the fun and the surprise of finding it. I didn't take the time to e-mail the photo posters, although maybe I should have, because I've found that lately e-mails seem to go un-answered by so many cachers. I would not have deleted their logs, but I was happy to see that I could delete only the photos, and I added a brief note as to why.

I really hope everyone who wants to add a photo to his or her log will stop to consider if that picture will give away so much information that other cachers will not have the same fun finding the cache that they did!

As to what kind of picture is acceptable is really up to the cache owner. Every cache owner is different.

That said, if you find one of my caches, please feel free to post any and all pictures (of the container/hide or otherwise)!

I have a multicache and some people posted pics of the final location. I thought it was cool and look forward to the day that someone will try to skip the first stage and find the final based off the picture. I would get a kick out of that kind of detective work, but it still hasn't happened yet....that I know of.

For me, no picture of the cache itself if could remotely give an additional hint. General cache area as a scenic okay. But taken a few feet away. The average GPSr range if 5+ meters or so would work. These might include the cache area if it doesn't state so directly. Basically no comments or pics that provide assistance in locating the cache. .as for bitching about the bench, seems anal to me. It's just a place to sit down.