Cache owner saturation

Within a few weeks of my premium membership and deciding to hide some caches (which by the way get fav clicks often) I have discovered some local members own over 150 caches. Geocaching.com has rules to prevent distance saturation but I think it is a terrible oversight to omit owner saturation in the regs. New placements are almost impossible in my city of 100K population due to a few people hogging all the "square footage" we have. For a community that touts CITO; sharing, manners, and common sense seemed to have eluded some...!!

Enkenstein

Well, one must consider that this hobby has been around for 12 years, there are about 5,000,000 people who started this before you did. If they hadn't hid these caches then what incentive would you have had to join. More cache saturation means more hunters coming to enjoy the hobby. As you've no doubt discovered, hunting for a cache is only half the fun, having people locate yours is also part of the game. You need to do some serious research before going off the handle,such as:

How long have these other cachers been hiding theirs? Maybe they've been at it for years and kept hiding them to maintain interest in the hobby.

In my situation I can't go out and hunt as often as I'd like because there are very few caches in my area, so I hide them instead to increase interest in my area.

Perhaps these people put together a power trail.

Are ALL of their caches in one area? They might have 150 caches spread out all over Hell's half acre...ie 100s of square kms.

One rule I do live by when hiding a cache is that "If the cache is the only reason to bring a hunter there, then it's a bad reason"

I guess it all sums up to the fact that there is no limit to the number of hides a member can have, and as far as I'm concerned, I would appreciate their effort and expense for hiding them and providing me with a means to enjoy a hobby rather than moan that I have no place to hide mine. You realise they are paying good money to hide these caches and I doubt they are going to the expense of saturating an area just to ruin your day. Maybe talk to some of them and ask them if you can adopt their caches.

Finally, if you hide a cache within the distance restriction you can make a note to the reviewer regarding your reasons for the placement, often it will be approved.

Edit:

After a review of your finds and the available caches in the area, I can see that there are a few power trails there. Also, it's hardly saturated, there are many locations that appear to be available for a resourceful person.

I've also looked over some of the hides there:

First number is finds, the second, hides.

Tabbywmn – 13,000 - 63

Enkenstein 39 – 3

Amboguy 277 – 57

Canadazuuk – 500 – 71

Teskelly – 1457 - 96

I haven't found anyone with 150 hides yet, but look at TesKelly for example, over half of those hides are archived., T@bbywmn has over 50 favorite points amongst her 63 caches.

Really, if you have an issue you should suggest a rule change to the powers that be...perhaps a maximum 1 hide for every 10 finds, but then, how fun would that be?

Personally, I wish I had the cache saturation that you do.

Edited by Arctikkat

I agree with points on both of your posts. There is someone in particular that this reminds me of, a relatively new cacher in my area (I'm no veteran by any stretch of the word, but this person is "more new"(?) to the game than I am. This cacher has placed 30 caches over the course of 9 months.

Now, having that many more caches in the area is great, but there's a question of quality... "oh, great, another film canister..."

I've yet to place a cache because I want it to be a well-thought out cache, something that people will be able to talk about and know of (and appreciate) than just some generic plastic tube. Personally, I'd rather place one cache and have someone tell me "man, I found your cache, and I think you did a great job with it! I loved your clues/theme/style and the thought you put into it" rather than "yeah, your name's familiar to me; I found about a dozen of your film tubes all over town."

But that's just me, and my two cents. I'd rather see quality over bland saturation any day.

it is a good rule, not to have too many own caches,

and also very important not to locate them too far away from your home or work

or other location you goto often,

else maintenence will be a pain for you.

it is not the numbers that makes this hoppy great,

it is the QUALITY in the caches, they location, a good container type,

size, hide, and how you make the page apear too,

if you get alot of favorites, you did a good job.

if you dont get favorites, just mean it is avarage, not better or worse than most other caches.

I follow one of four main criteria for my hides:

• Location - The location of the cache may dictate the size of the cache, so, by necessity, it may have to be a film canister of keyminder.
  • Difficulty - Sometimes, to make a hide more of a challenge, the cach must be small.
  • Cache Size - If I can hide a lock 'n lock, I will, but:
  • The Journey - I plan to create a power trail one day. To me it's the pleasure of the hike, not the cache every 161 metres that is the purpose. A quality lock 'n lock with contents runs about 5 bucks, and honestly, on a power trail, 100 lock 'n locks full of trinkets can get kinda lame. Using 90 cheap (free) film canisters or pill bottles cleverly hidden with a few lock 'n locks interspersed sounds like a better plan to me.

Hmm, I might be getting a little off the topic with this post, so, to comment on OZ2CPU's comment, the only response I have is that distance may not be a factor if you have a custodian to care for your cache, but I agree, it drives me nuts when a cache needs maintenance and the owner can't do it because he's 500kms away.

I admit, I'm still learning about geocaching, so I'm like Eralon, I'm still learning what makes a quality cache. Some of my hides are extremely easy, like my unsung heros cache, if only because it's the location that matters in this instance, not the cache, and given the lack of hiding spots and high muggle situation, it was better to hide the cache in plain sight. On the other hand, "What FOWL place is this" and "Don't feed the troll" are quite well camouflaged, yet a lock 'n lock would be too easy. "Just in Case' and "Two Birds" had ample space to hide a lock 'n lock, yet be quick finds.

Edited by Arctikkat

Here we go again. Everytime some noob finds out that those who have been here before have placed a lot of caches they want something done.

I thought this complaint was scheduled for the second tuesday of odd months.

ROFL, Hi five.

My point exactly! Some folks need to crow just to be heard..like with this reply. Saturation in this area is a problem and if it isn't in yours then you don't have anything to crow about. Like I said, sharing, and manners...elude some...

re: Guidelines 2 & 4

Well, one must consider that this hobby has been around for 12 years, there are about 5,000,000 people who started this before you did. If they hadn't hid these caches then what incentive would you have had to join. More cache saturation means more hunters coming to enjoy the hobby. As you've no doubt discovered, hunting for a cache is only half the fun, having people locate yours is also part of the game. You need to do some serious research before going off the handle,such as:

How long have these other cachers been hiding theirs? Maybe they've been at it for years and kept hiding them to maintain interest in the hobby.

In my situation I can't go out and hunt as often as I'd like because there are very few caches in my area, so I hide them instead to increase interest in my area.

Perhaps these people put together a power trail.

Are ALL of their caches in one area? They might have 150 caches spread out all over Hell's half acre...ie 100s of square kms.

One rule I do live by when hiding a cache is that "If the cache is the only reason to bring a hunter there, then it's a bad reason"

I guess it all sums up to the fact that there is no limit to the number of hides a member can have, and as far as I'm concerned, I would appreciate their effort and expense for hiding them and providing me with a means to enjoy a hobby rather than moan that I have no place to hide mine. You realise they are paying good money to hide these caches and I doubt they are going to the expense of saturating an area just to ruin your day. Maybe talk to some of them and ask them if you can adopt their caches.

Finally, if you hide a cache within the distance restriction you can make a note to the reviewer regarding your reasons for the placement, often it will be approved.

Edit:

After a review of your finds and the available caches in the area, I can see that there are a few power trails there. Also, it's hardly saturated, there are many locations that appear to be available for a resourceful person.

I've also looked over some of the hides there:

First number is finds, the second, hides.

Tabbywmn – 13,000 - 63

Enkenstein 39 – 3

Amboguy 277 – 57

Canadazuuk – 500 – 71

Teskelly – 1457 - 96

I haven't found anyone with 150 hides yet, but look at TesKelly for example, over half of those hides are archived., T@bbywmn has over 50 favorite points amongst her 63 caches.

Really, if you have an issue you should suggest a rule change to the powers that be...perhaps a maximum 1 hide for every 10 finds, but then, how fun would that be?

Personally, I wish I had the cache saturation that you do.

Edited by Enkenstein

Wow, in only a few hours I have attracted crows!! If you can't be respectful then just keep your opinions to yourself! I don't remember inviting disrespectful comments!

Here we go again. Everytime some noob finds out that those who have been here before have placed a lot of caches they want something done.

Edited by Enkenstein

My point exactly! Some folks need to crow just to be heard..like with this reply. Saturation in this area is a problem and if it isn't in yours then you don't have anything to crow about. Like I said, sharing, and manners...elude some...

Wow, dude, if you're taking my well thought out and reasonable response, complete with suggestions and recommendations as a rude attack, I would suggest you find a new hobby because attitudes like yours won't get you far. You're welcome for my effort to attempt to educate and inform you BTW. Saturation isn't a problem, self entitled people like you are. If you're intent on looking for crows, look in the mirror. Honestly, I think you're an exaggerating whiner, I can't find anyone in your area with 150 hides. Maybe you could show us your proof? Not that it matters, I just want to see if you'll go to the same effort and respect us enough to research your response rather than spout off a bunch of whining crap.

:rolleyes:

I guess you just should have been the inventor of geocaching, that way you'd have ALL the power.

Grow Up.

Here's a suggestion, and the last one you'll ever get from me. Find someplace else to Geocache if the one you're in doesn't suit you, I think there's room at the North Pole.

re: Guidlines. Kiss My a** you whiner.

There's your personal attack for ya.

Edited by Arctikkat

Im new too and I have noticed a similar situation. I really dont mind because without them, I wouldnt have anything to find.

A lot of the c.o's in my area have been inactive for a year or more and their caches are in need of maintenance. Ive noticed a few being archived, and more with a 30 day "warning" of sorts.

Just bide your time and in the meantime find more creative hides...maybe a year from now their hides will go the way of the dinosaur...and then you can jump in... If not, be pleased your local COs are still active and providing for your hobby

:-)

Be well

Wow, in only a few hours I have attracted crows!! If you can't be respectful then just keep your opinions to yourself! I don't remember inviting disrespectful comments!

And this was respectful? Ask a question, and get answers. If you do not like the valid answers, then the problem is your.

I've never had a problem hiding a cache, and I live in a very saturated area. Go find some place nice to hide a cache. There's always room.

Im kind of saddened to see so much negativity on a board designed to go along with something so fun and positive.

Not even so much in this topic, but others Ive been reading.

I got on the boards really excited to talk about my new favorite activity and just through browsing Ive seen so much negative attitudes and disrespect. (Again, not so much even referring to this thread)

This is such a fun and often creative hobby and its really disheartening to see so many people give snide and condemning replies to folks.

I was hoping to find a lot of fun and encouragment here, but when someone asks or says the wrong thing they are greeted oftentimes with less than desireable replies.

Sad

Careful everyone, if you don't respond to the OP with a comment like, "Oh, how horribe for you!! I totally agree that everyone should be limited to no more than one hide, that way we all have premium spots to put our caches. Even noobs who haven't been around for 10 years like other dedicated members will be able to have fun that way!!"

You'll end up being whipped into shape with Guidelines 2 & 4. :unsure:

I was hoping to find a lot of fun and encouragment here, but when someone asks or says the wrong thing they are greeted oftentimes with less than desireable replies.

Sad

I agree completely Mushroom, That's why I get all bent outta shape when some self righteous prig accuses me of being hateful and disrespectful after I posted what I think is a well thought out and informative post. If he's looking for hateful and disrespectful, he's gonna get what he wants and deserves.

Aside from that, how are you? How are you enjoying Geocaching? I've found it to be a great passtime. My sons are very excited to be involved and have memberships of their own. I've even managed to get another half dozen people interested since I joined. It's a great hobby, but as with everything great, not everyone involved can have identical views. There's always a grinch somewhere.

Edited by Arctikkat

Within a few weeks of my premium membership and deciding to hide some caches (which by the way get fav clicks often) I have discovered some local members own over 150 caches. Geocaching.com has rules to prevent distance saturation but I think it is a terrible oversight to omit owner saturation in the regs. New placements are almost impossible in my city of 100K population due to a few people hogging all the "square footage" we have. For a community that touts CITO; sharing, manners, and common sense seemed to have eluded some...!!

Enkenstein

You do realize that in a year YOU are the one the noobs are going to be complaining about, right? They'll say it's not fair you took all the locations and should have saved some for them!

Thanks GOF, but I didn't actually use *s, Groundspeak automatically placed them. Besides, I don't see a problem with him kissing my donkey...just so long as he doesn't take it any further than that. :)

Still, take it from me, such outbursts will get the admin brick tossed at you. I know.

Aside from that, how are you? How are you enjoying Geocaching? I've found it to be a great passtime. My sons are very excited to be involved and have memberships of their own. I've even managed to get another half dozen people interested since I joined. It's a great hobby, but as with everything great, not everyone involved can have identical views. There's always a grinch somewhere.

Im very good, thank you. I am looking for some info in a thread I made about EVIL CACHES. If you could help there, that'd be cool.

My g/f and I recently picked up the hobby and are loving it. Also hoping to attend a nearby event to meet some fellow cachers :anitongue:

Im very good, thank you. I am looking for some info in a thread I made about EVIL CACHES. If you could help there, that'd be cool.

My g/f and I recently picked up the hobby and are loving it. Also hoping to attend a nearby event to meet some fellow cachers :anitongue:

Events are a great place to meet your peers and get to know them. The old timers will most likely be more than happy to pass along tips on how to find new places to hide a cache.

This thread sure went to pieces fast.

On topic, when I wanted to place my first cache, I too bemoaned the fact that all the good spots in town were long gone. But as I kept finding more caches (in more parts of this city where I've lived since I was born and thought I knew quite well) I learned that there were tons of little parks/wetlands/public places that I never even knew existed. When I'd find a new chunk of public land, I peruse the maps, looking for an open area to place a cache - if I found one, I'd hike back out there and see if it looked like a good spot for a hide (found quite a few letterboxes this way). After several months I had a decent-sized list of places available for caches. It surprised me.

I don't know what your area's like, but don't give up. You obviously care about your hides, and I appreciate COs like that.

This is not the first time a newbie has had trouble finding places to hide caches and wants to solve the problem with what seems to them to be a fair way to ensure there are always enough places for someone to hide a cache.

First of all, when you have been around for a few years you will understand that the cache density you have is not all that bad. I live in one of the most cache dense areas in the country, yet people are hiding new caches all the time. If the particular spot you have picked out may be within 528 feet of an existing cache, you just need to be willing to search for a spot that is available. I have yet to see a region where there aren't places to hide caches if you travel just a bit further from your front door.

The other thing you will learn is that caches aren't as permanent as you think (particularly in urban locations). These caches will go missing and the hiders will not always want to keep maintaining them. If the hiders don't archive their caches, the reviewers do a good job of responding to Needs Archive logs and looking for caches that have beend disabled for a long period of time. When caches get archived the space around them becomes available again.

Prolific hiders tend to come and go. A few may stay around, but those that do are usually sensitive to the difficulties that newbies have in finding "good" places for a cache. If a prolific hider has a cache that is blocking the spot you have picked out, let them know. They may be willing to archive or move the cache - particularly if it has been around awhile.

Most people who have been around for a few years realize that the fairest way to allocate space for new geocaches is on a first come first serve basis. People who really want to hide a cache will find places where a cache can be hidden. Creating a new rule that is difficult to enforce and doesn't really address the problem is not a good idea.

Enkenstein

Well they just got there first, and I do not think there should be any rules as to how many caches you may own in an area heck in our area some cachers have well over 400+. There are already to many rules in Geocaching as it is we don't need more. Maybe you should move to a un-saturated area.

SS

I have a constructive solution for you. I see that you are a premium member so set up a notification to notify you of any caches that are archived in your area, then you can assume the spot and the good thing is it will most likely be approved since there was already a cache there before that was acceptable to the reviewers. Problem solved

I can see your point Enkenstein, but IF they're good caches and are well-maintained, then that's that. Go find them, and have fun. I've seen people with 500+ hides and their idea of cache maintenance is to archive one if it gets 6 or 7 DNFs in a row. But you know what? I show curious people the map online zoomed out a bit, you know, when the whole state looks green (and yellow and blue) and people goggle that there are that many caches out there.

Recently I decided to hide a cache in a state park that has no caches in it. I was amazed and overjoyed at that fact. Maybe to find a great place you have to travel off the beaten path a little, but then I'd bet you end up with a fantastic spot and maybe even some faves.

Well then, a respectful and thoughtful suggestion. I do thank you, and actually did beat you too it.. I have a few notifications going for sure! I am not new to caching, just the account is..following in one of my adult children's footsteps since she died...

It is surprising to me how so many think their demographic and environment is the same as mine. As well, the assumptions some make are astounding...

Thx for the input.

Enk

I have a constructive solution for you. I see that you are a premium member so set up a notification to notify you of any caches that are archived in your area, then you can assume the spot and the good thing is it will most likely be approved since there was already a cache there before that was acceptable to the reviewers. Problem solved

Edited by Enkenstein

Thx for the reply. We do have a number of "same old same old" caches from as long as 4-5 years ago. I love to find straight forward level 1-2 difficulty caches, but too many is getting a bit much. As well, I believe that new blood in the cache pool may promote new interest, especially from wise old cachers... and that is the feedback I am getting from those who have found my new hides.

My caches are not simple in a hole in a tree or at the base... I like to crank it up a bit and make what some refer to as evil caches...not all mind you, just 1 in 4 maybe. I know that when I reach 20 caches I'll have way enough on my plate to maintain... I even mentioned in my first few cache listings that those with FTF give it a few weeks for others to have a chance... and the feedback and response was just that. Very respectful here in my area so far. I have not heard the kind of non-sense offered earlier in this thread from my locale!!

Enk

I can see your point Enkenstein, but IF they're good caches and are well-maintained, then that's that. Go find them, and have fun. I've seen people with 500+ hides and their idea of cache maintenance is to archive one if it gets 6 or 7 DNFs in a row. But you know what? I show curious people the map online zoomed out a bit, you know, when the whole state looks green (and yellow and blue) and people goggle that there are that many caches out there.

Recently I decided to hide a cache in a state park that has no caches in it. I was amazed and overjoyed at that fact. Maybe to find a great place you have to travel off the beaten path a little, but then I'd bet you end up with a fantastic spot and maybe even some faves.

Finally, if you hide a cache within the distance restriction you can make a note to the reviewer regarding your reasons for the placement, often it will won't be approved.

Fixed for accuracy. For the distance restriction, while some reviewers will allow you a little slack (20-30 feet perhaps), some won't budge at all if your cache isn't at least 528' from another cache. If you want to hide a cache closer than 528' from another, you need to have a very compelling reason why it should be approved and even with that, it may still get shot down.

Personally, some of my caches are the difficult to place variety. Not difficult caches, mind you...just parts and containers that required specific circumstances to come together to make the hide possible. I couldn't just hide them anywhere. So, it was uber-frustrating when I found what I thought was the perfect spot for my cache and there was already a cache nearby. I had to be patient and eventually, the pieces fell into place. Finding a quality location to hide caches is much more difficult now than it was years ago but it's a fact you have to come to terms with as a cache hider. It's not going to get better. The wild, wild west days are over.

I do agree that you should open an archival notification. There may be more caches crammed up the wazoo in todays geocaching world, but there are also a lot more caches owners that shotgun their hides all over creation and then abandon them to their fate. Caches get force-archived all the time because of lack of maintenance.

Well then, a respectful and thoughtful suggestion. I do thank you, and actually did beat you too it.. I have a few notifications going for sure! I am not new to caching, just the account is..following in one of my adult children's footsteps since she died...

It is surprising to me how so many think their demographic and environment is the same as mine. As well, the assumptions some make are astounding...

Thx for the input.

Enk

What's astounding is the idea that no one here is smart enough to look up where you hide and find caches before making these assumptions. Also the idea that your situation is somehow unique. Look up Burbank, CA, West Los Angeles, San Diego County, Las Vegas NV, Salt Lake City and Cedar City UT. You are going to see a lot of dots a lot closer together than anything you have to deal with.

I live in a dense area. New cachers around here have the same complaint as you. Last week in the 40 mile circle that I watch, 30 caches were archived and 80 caches were published. Somehow, people managed to squeeze in 50 more caches. There are 16618 active caches within a 50 mile radius of my home, and 1/4 of that area is cache less as it is the Pacific Ocean. You have 7282 caches within 50 miles of the last cache that you placed. In fact, the next closest cache to yours is 2.8 miles away. I have 238 active caches within 2.8 miles of the last cache that I placed.

When you put things in perspective, perhaps you can understand why most of us simply cant take your complaint seriously.

Thx for the reply. We do have a number of "same old same old" caches from as long as 4-5 years ago. I love to find straight forward level 1-2 difficulty caches, but too many is getting a bit much. As well, I believe that new blood in the cache pool may promote new interest, especially from wise old cachers... and that is the feedback I am getting from those who have found my new hides.

My caches are not simple in a hole in a tree or at the base... I like to crank it up a bit and make what some refer to as evil caches...not all mind you, just 1 in 4 maybe. I know that when I reach 20 caches I'll have way enough on my plate to maintain... I even mentioned in my first few cache listings that those with FTF give it a few weeks for others to have a chance... and the feedback and response was just that. Very respectful here in my area so far. I have not heard the kind of non-sense offered earlier in this thread from my locale!!

Enk

I live in a dense cache area as well and if there are a lot of caches in an area then there will be many Archive caches as well I have picked up several spots this way.

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

Im new too and I have noticed a similar situation. I really dont mind because without them, I wouldnt have anything to find.

A lot of the c.o's in my area have been inactive for a year or more and their caches are in need of maintenance. Ive noticed a few being archived, and more with a 30 day "warning" of sorts.

Just bide your time and in the meantime find more creative hides...maybe a year from now their hides will go the way of the dinosaur...and then you can jump in... If not, be pleased your local COs are still active and providing for your hobby

:-)

Be well

A lot of new cachers get enthusiastic about caching, and want to hide caches... Then go off the idea of caching and don't maintain the ones they have placed.

Keep a watch on the caches, be prepared to 'jump in' when they get archived.

Or. If the cachers are long term cachers, ask if they would archive their cache so you can place one -but not in the same place- it then gives them a chance for new finds closer to home!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Im kind of saddened to see so much negativity on a board designed to go along with something so fun and positive.

Not even so much in this topic, but others Ive been reading.

I got on the boards really excited to talk about my new favorite activity and just through browsing Ive seen so much negative attitudes and disrespect. (Again, not so much even referring to this thread)

This is such a fun and often creative hobby and its really disheartening to see so many people give snide and condemning replies to folks.

Sad

Yeah, there was at least one snide remark. I'll tell you what, this topic comes up quite often, and there always seem to be snide remarks. I'm going to guess because some people perceive the topic as whiny, and smacking of entitlement. No excuse for hitting a n00b with snide remarks, but that is my guess. :lol:

I really do feel for Enkenstein, who by the way, has a great name and funny avatar. I mean as a 9 year Geocacher, I pretty much had free reign to place a cache wherever I wanted. I was the first person ever to put a cache along a 6 mile stretch of bike trail, that has probably had 25 caches on it since, if you include archived ones. And it would be even more if it wasn't for a 5 leg multi spread out over at least 2 miles.

I don't have any advice for you, and Groundspeak is never going to "do anything", but I do feel for you. You'll just have to work harder than those who came before you to find good locations for caches. :)

Enkenstein

I think the bolded part of your original post may be what elicited what some have called "negative" responses. I put that in quotes, because I don't see anything "negative" about them... although some were showing signs of defensiveness. What that bolded part is implying is that anybody that has caches hidded before you came along were litterers, selfish, rude, and lacking in common sense. I'm sure you didn't intend to project that sort of negativity, but I think you can see why some reacted as they did. In addition, you were suggesting a rule that would possibly, if enacted, archive some of their caches.

Take a look at the profile for King Boreas (until recently, the #1 most prolific hider in the world). He is in my geocaching area, yet I have managed to place well over 100 hides, as have hundreds of other cachers. It can be done. Take it as a challenge to find those new places that nobody has thought of yet.

:laughing: I must be clairvoyant.

That would be be a great skill to have when looking for an especially difficult cache.

Several people have responded with something like "we'll you should be happy to live in an area with so many caches to find". I suppose that for some, the quality doesn't matter, as long as there are lots and lots of caches to find but it sounded like the area already has several power trails and a few cache owners that place a higher value for quantity over quality.

This thread is just another example why the often repeated mantra "the great thing about geocaching is that everyone can play it their own way" seems to ignore the fact that how one person plays that game can negatively impact how someone else plays the game. The player that only puts out a few "quality" caches has little impact on the player that places quantity over quality. However, the player that saturates areas with park and grabs and seemingly puts out caches that serve no other purpose than to significantly increase the find count of others, can and does negatively impact how some might want to play the game. An when the person that is negatively impacted complains, "everyone can play the game their own way" has become "if you don't like the way I play the game you should move".

That would be be a great skill to have when looking for an especially difficult cache.

Several people have responded with something like "we'll you should be happy to live in an area with so many caches to find". I suppose that for some, the quality doesn't matter, as long as there are lots and lots of caches to find but it sounded like the area already has several power trails and a few cache owners that place a higher value for quantity over quality.

This thread is just another example why the often repeated mantra "the great thing about geocaching is that everyone can play it their own way" seems to ignore the fact that how one person plays that game can negatively impact how someone else plays the game. The player that only puts out a few "quality" caches has little impact on the player that places quantity over quality. However, the player that saturates areas with park and grabs and seemingly puts out caches that serve no other purpose than to significantly increase the find count of others, can and does negatively impact how some might want to play the game. An when the person that is negatively impacted complains, "everyone can play the game their own way" has become "if you don't like the way I play the game you should move".

If you are looking for quality over quantity you are on the wrong site. GC.com gave in to the quantity crowd long ago.

Take a look at the profile for King Boreas (until recently, the #1 most prolific hider in the world). He is in my geocaching area, yet I have managed to place well over 100 hides, as have hundreds of other cachers. It can be done. Take it as a challenge to find those new places that nobody has thought of yet.

If anyone doesn't feel like clicking, I'll save you the trouble. KB has almost 3,200 hides. I see he's a good 500 behind the new King (Queen, I think). Has he conceded yet? :)

At least the OP indicates that "I love to find straight forward level 1-2 difficulty caches". The complaint seems to be more that the ratio of these to caches to more difficult or "creative" hides is too high. The fact is that different people enjoy different kinds of cache caches. Everyone probably thinks the ratio should be more in the order with their preferences that what the ratio is. There are probably more people who think there are too many puzzles or tricky hides than those who think there are too many parking lot micros.

I make the assumption that people are hiding caches they would like to find. Those who like creative camouflage (and have the skills to make creatively camouflaged hides) will hide this sort of cache. Those how like puzzles (and are able to create a decent puzzle or copy one they saw elsewhere) will hide puzzles. People who like to hike, hide hiking caches. The ratio of caches hidden reflects what the community as a whole likes.

So why does it sometimes seem that there are so many park and grabs in urban and suburban areas? First of all, there are a lot of geocachers who like these types of hides. They may not show up in the forums much - in part because they get a far ruder treatment here than the OP of this thread got. Second, it would be natural for these people to hide more caches. Yes, it is true that many of those who like the quick park and grabs are into quantity. To them a caching experience is getting in the car and spending the afternoon finding 20 to 30 caches (or more). This is different that the person who goes for a hike and finds maybe 2 or 3 caches, or someone who spends the afternoon solving a puzzle and then perhaps the next time they are in the area will stop to find the cache.

If you are looking for quality over quantity you are on the wrong site. GC.com gave in to the quantity crowd long ago.

Not even the staunchest defender of lame could argue that one. :o Speaking of which, where is my favorite transplanted Buffalonian moved down South, SBell111? Haven't heard from whom I believe is still the no. 1 poster in these forums in at least 6 months.

I live in a dense area. New cachers around here have the same complaint as you. Last week in the 40 mile circle that I watch, 30 caches were archived and 80 caches were published. Somehow, people managed to squeeze in 50 more caches. There are 16618 active caches within a 50 mile radius of my home, and 1/4 of that area is cache less as it is the Pacific Ocean. You have 7282 caches within 50 miles of the last cache that you placed. In fact, the next closest cache to yours is 2.8 miles away. I have 238 active caches within 2.8 miles of the last cache that I placed.

When you put things in perspective, perhaps you can understand why most of us simply cant take your complaint seriously.

There are 11240 active caches within my 50-mile radius. North Jersey is a pretty densely populated area. (Though the 50 miles includes NYC, Parts of LI, parts of down-state up-state New York, and Pennsylvania.) I've never had problems hiding caches (except, maybe Ping.) I look to see where caches are hidden, and find a nice place to hide another one. I don't think that anyone has ever complained about the locations of my caches. I get logs like "Spectacular View" or "Great spot." But I do work at it. If I wanted to hide another 50 caches, I would not have problems finding interesting places for them either.

And that is why I do not understand what OP is complaining about. Work at it. Go for it. Nothing in life is free (even if you whine.)

Been hunting some park and grabs whilst battling fascist planters. Some are nicely done. Some I'm surprised have lasted a week! But they keep me amused.

If OP wants to hide some cheap cache and dashes, there are plenty of stop signs out there. If s/he wants to go for a hike, and hide some caches, there is plenty of room available.

But, hey! It can take some work. Or is that too much to ask?

Listen... you continue to talk about your environment. It is not my environment. Empathy eludes you in this regard. You satisfaction about your environment has nothing to do with mine. I am not going to write a book about the limitations of my locale just to help you read between the lines. Enough already!!! Start a thread touting the wonders of your environment and please stop using your logic and assumptions as a blunt instrument against and within this thread. You have had your say! You haven't even thought to ask me questions to clarify my concerns...no that isn't an invitation to do so at this juncture. Like Jack Rebney says, "Do me a kindness"!

There are 11240 active caches within my 50-mile radius. North Jersey is a pretty densely populated area. (Though the 50 miles includes NYC, Parts of LI, parts of down-state up-state New York, and Pennsylvania.) I've never had problems hiding caches (except, maybe Ping.) I look to see where caches are hidden, and find a nice place to hide another one. I don't think that anyone has ever complained about the locations of my caches. I get logs like "Spectacular View" or "Great spot." But I do work at it. If I wanted to hide another 50 caches, I would not have problems finding interesting places for them either.

And that is why I do not understand what OP is complaining about. Work at it. Go for it. Nothing in life is free (even if you whine.)

Been hunting some park and grabs whilst battling fascist planters. Some are nicely done. Some I'm surprised have lasted a week! But they keep me amused.

If OP wants to hide some cheap cache and dashes, there are plenty of stop signs out there. If s/he wants to go for a hike, and hide some caches, there is plenty of room available.

Edited by Enkenstein

Harry Dolphin and other participants in the discussion are free to post as often as they want, provided they follow the forum guidelines. There's nothing in Harry Dolphin's post that violates the forum guidelines. If you are in doubt about whether a forum post violates the guidelines, use the "report this post" feature to alert our highly-trained, highly-compensated forum moderator team. We will take a look at the situation and action it according to the forum guidelines.

Listen... you continue to talk about your environment. It is not my environment. Empathy eludes you in this regard. You satisfaction about your environment has nothing to do with mine. I am not going to write a book about the limitations of my locale just to help you read between the lines. Enough already!!! Start a thread touting the wonders of your environment and please stop using your logic and assumptions as a blunt instrument against and within this thread. You have had your say! You haven't even thought to ask me questions to clarify my concerns...no that isn't an invitation to do do at this juncture. Like Jack Rebney says, "Do me a kindness"!

I'm done! Bye!

You think you are in a unique situation, but others with more experience have tried to point out that it really isn't.

You ask for kindness and empathy, yet you deny that to anyone who isn't posting in agreement with you.

Is it any wonder that no one has posted to this thread who has fully supported your position?

Keep caching, keep exploring your area, and you just might discover some parts of it that you don't know as well as you think you do, and maybe, just maybe, there isn't already a cache there too!

And above all, remember that this is the forums, not caching.

Ya know what people. I come from a place where we see things differently.. yes this will sound a bit off topic..but it's not really considering this thread and the vibe. Here's a take away thought.

I come from a place where we are not hated by and in much of the world view. We don't go looking for war and war doesn't come to us oddly enough, we don't draw a gun at the first bad word... and we believe en' masse that healthcare is for everyone and we practice it too as does much of the world(and no one is broke for it). This is not promoting an agenda, it is relevant to and goes to our world view and mindset.

It is becoming clearer to me that with a little listening rather than this profound need to be right...the world view might just shift a little. Dear moderator, no one I know said Harry Dolphin violated guidelines.. but I am free to make requests nes't pas?

I really have no interest in continued participation in this toxic thread... carry on if you feel so inclined!!