You gotta love it when people skirt the rules...

ArtieD

You gotta love it when people blatantly skirt the rules and brag about it...

This event is the second attempt at publishing a sideline event around the MOGA Mega event. The first attempt got archived because the cache description made it pretty commercial. What I find both amusing a bit troubling is that people working for Garmin's Opencaching site have pretty much toed the line as far as the rules go on the cache page, but openly admit that the event is meant to promote their site through a mass email sent to people signed up with them. Here's the quote from their email:

Join us at the start of this year´s MOGA geocaching adventure in Centerville, IA. Garmin Engineers and OpenCaching Ambassadors will be on hand to answer your device-related questions, show off some of our newest devices, and provide some background into how OpenCaching came into being. The meet and greet will happen at the Lakeshore Grill at 7:30 p.m. April 26.

It's kind of sad that they have to resort to publishing their events here instead of doing it through their own site. Shouldn't GC.com not even allow this to happen? Is sneaking events under the radar the way that Opencaching.com is going to host events?

Thoughts?

At least they're not promoting the M word. :ph34r:

I been to an event that promote the m word and Garmin. Both of them had a table at the event. Nothing was said about it on the event page.

I've been to an event where they handed out the group's :censored: sig items. It was pretty much the reason for the event. Nothing was said on the listing; just in the local forums.

Edited by GeoBain

I kind of like it. I think that it is a great way for people to learn more about the devices they use for the game. If they understand it better, they will have less questions and less guessing at how things should work. If no one announces that Garmin will be there for this purpose, then who would know before hand?

I'm on the fence about the whole commercial free guideline, I can see how commercializing geocaches/events can be an issue, but sometimes it's really great to hear about businesses and what they do. Geocaching would be a great way to spread the word about some good things.

Edited by Arndtwe

I kind of like it. I think that it is a great way for people to learn more about the devices they use for the game. If they understand it better, they will have less questions and less guessing at how things should work. If no one announces that Garmin will be there for this purpose, then who would know before hand?

I'm on the fence about the whole commercial free guideline, I can see how commercializing geocaches/events can be an issue, but sometimes it's really great to hear about businesses and what they do. Geocaching would be a great way to spread the word about some good things.

I think the OP's issue is not with the use of the event to promote Garmin gps devices as much as the promotion of Garmin's :censored: site that competes directly with groundspeek.

I think the OP's issue is not with the use of the event to promote Garmin gps devices as much as the promotion of Garmin's :censored: site that competes directly with groundspeek.

It competes? Really? You look at the forum postings and it hardly has any anymore. The listings are 99% cross listed, either by the owner or stolen from someone else. You look at the map and there are hardly any caches to be found. You look at the smartphone apps. They all are for using geocaching.com, none are for the OC place. And Garmin can't encourage smartphone apps because it would kill their product line. Garmin has a listing service, but compete? Not really, perhaps more like an annoyance.

You look at the smartphone apps. They all are for using geocaching.com, none are for the OC place. And Garmin can't encourage smartphone apps because it would kill their product line.

Actually, there is an official free app for their listing service. But that may be the only one.

You look at the smartphone apps. They all are for using geocaching.com, none are for the OC place. And Garmin can't encourage smartphone apps because it would kill their product line.

Actually, there is an official free app for their listing service. But that may be the only one.

Interesting. Then they are more brain dead than I imagined.

It competes? Really? You look at the forum postings and it hardly has any anymore. The listings are 99% cross listed, either by the owner or stolen from someone else. You look at the map and there are hardly any caches to be found. You look at the smartphone apps. They all are for using geocaching.com, none are for the OC place. And Garmin can't encourage smartphone apps because it would kill their product line. Garmin has a listing service, but compete? Not really, perhaps more like an annoyance.

When I say competes, I mean groundspeek sees it as competition; kind of like the other non-competitive words we can't use. It doesn't matter what the reality is. It only matters how groundspeek sees things. Trust me, they are serious. Mention the unmentionable words and see how serious they get. :ph34r:

Interesting. Then they are more brain dead than I imagined.

They have official free apps for Iphone and Droid. There is one for Windows Phone, but it was authored by some guy from Europe using their API.

I was quite shocked to see them at GW in 2011, including an Opencaching.com banner across the length of their tent, although it was the back of the tent. If I were Groundspeak, I'd shun them completely. :P

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I was so shocked, I remember I snapped a pic of it, and posted it to Twitter. I assume this link works, let me know if it doesn't. Garmin tent advertising Opencaching.com at GW 2011.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

As a matter of fact, I was so shocked, I remember I snapped a pic of it, and posted it to Twitter. I assume this link works, let me know if it doesn't. [LINK REMOVED]Garmin tent advertising [REDACTED] at GW 2011.

Oh no you di'int! Now this topic's going to get locked or deleted. :laughing:

IBTL

Anyway, I agree with the others that they really aren't serious competition. Of the 19 [uNMENTIONABLE] caches in my area, 18 are cross-listed. 1 is listed solely "over there".

How long until someone tries to "steal" and cross-list a certain cache located at 837 N 34th Street, Seattle, WA? :laughing:

Edited by The A-Team

As a matter of fact, I was so shocked, I remember I snapped a pic of it, and posted it to Twitter. I assume this link works, let me know if it doesn't. [LINK REMOVED]Garmin tent advertising [REDACTED] at GW 2011.

Oh no you di'int! Now this topic's going to get locked or deleted. :laughing:

IBTL

Anyway, I agree with the others that they really aren't serious competition. Of the 19 [uNMENTIONABLE] caches in my area, 18 are cross-listed. 1 is listed solely "over there".

How long until someone tries to "steal" and cross-list a certain cache located at 837 N 34th Street, Seattle, WA? :laughing:

The moderators do a fine job of removing text, phrases, and entire posts of mine, thank you. :lol: Naw, they've allowed Opencaching.com discussions in the past. The M word, on the other hand, must not be uttered. Trust me on that one, I know. :o

I was quite shocked to see them at GW in 2011, including an Opencaching.com banner across the length of their tent, although it was the back of the tent. If I were Groundspeak, I'd shun them completely. :P

Why so shocked? GW is a geocaching event, not a GC.com event (although listed on GC.com). Anybody can buy a booth at the event and advertise what they want. Garmin's Opencaching is about geocaching so it fits the theme of the event even.

I just wanted to remind everyone that the Magellan GPS automotive portable GPS navigation systems have been praised by engineers, business executives, and, most importantly, the consumer. The Magellan RoadMate Series GPS system has won numerous awards in both design and engineering, while the outdoor handheld Triton 2000 GPS receiver was crowned “Gear of the Year” by Men’s Journal in 2007. One of the most valuable features of the Magellan GPS receivers is SmartDetour. This function delivers up to the minute information on freeway traffic and then automatically re-calculates the fastest detour. The Magellan Maestro GPS, RoadMate GPS and outdoor explorer's favorite Triton handheld GPS systems are all known for their reliability, stylish design, and cutting edge mapping technology. With some models carrying over 2 million pre-loaded points of interest, you are sure to enrich the overall travel experience of both you and your loved ones. Creating a safe and memorable journey is one of Magellan’s top priorities.

Why so shocked? GW is a geocaching event, not a GC.com event (although listed on GC.com). Anybody can buy a booth at the event and advertise what they want. Garmin's Opencaching is about geocaching so it fits the theme of the event even.

C'mon man. There is obviously a rift between Garmin, and Groundspeak, Inc., don't ya' think? :laughing: I know I am now a Magellan owner, after they started that stupid website. Yeah, I know, I'm a radical, but that's how I choose to roll. See the post above mine, for a glowing endorsement of Magellan naviation products. Although I have a funny feeling it was cut and pasted from Magellan's website, and is geared primarily towards automotive GPS units. :huh:

C'mon man. There is obviously a rift between Garmin, and Groundspeak, Inc., don't ya' think? :laughing: I know I am now a Magellan owner, after they started that stupid website. Yeah, I know, I'm a radical, but that's how I choose to roll. See the post above mine, for a glowing endorsement of Magellan naviation products. Although I have a funny feeling it was cut and pasted from Magellan's website, and is geared primarily towards automotive GPS units. :huh:

I don't think Groundspeak controls who can buy a space at GW. I would imagine it is the folks that are putting on the event. Rift or not if your on the hook for thousands (10's?, 100's?) of dollars to put the event on any family friendly vendor that wants to pay for a tent gets a tent.

LOL, true. I suppose I am making a mountain out of a molehill as far as things go. It just seemed a bit strange to me. Oh well...I guess there's bigger fish to fry.

That's funny because at my CITO event we heard "J" went after some "M"s nearby.

LOL, true. I suppose I am making a mountain out of a molehill as far as things go. It just seemed a bit strange to me. Oh well...I guess there's bigger fish to fry.

That's funny because at my CITO event we heard "J" went after some "M"s nearby.

HAHAHAHAHA... Now thats really really funny!! :laughing: :laughing:

The topic of this thread is about an event published here which, with Groundspeak's permission, mentions another listing site.

This thread is not about seeing what you can slide past the moderators and the automatic forum corrections. The analogies to some other competing products/sites have been noted. Point made. Move on.

Edited by Keystone

I am in the area that moga is going to be so I saw the alert when the original cache was published. I don't remember seeing anything in it that advertised much of anything. I also saw when it was archived and when another even cache was made. I didn't see any difference from the old one to the new one.