Different Kind of Geo-Injury

I recently bought a new pair of hiking boots. This is the first pair I have ever owned that are both steel-toed and steel-heeled. After a few caching days, the back of my heels were destroyed. I lost at least two layers of skin. It was somewhat painful to walk. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? Lubricant? Shoe Inserts? Any information would be appreciated.

"Has anyone else had this problem?"

Yes.

"What did you do?"

Returned the boots.

A guy I know swears by slippery dress socks when hiking. I think he wears them over his regular socks to prevent friction.

Never heard of steel heeled boots, though.

I recently bought a new pair of hiking boots. This is the first pair I have ever owned that are both steel-toed and steel-heeled. After a few caching days, the back of my heels were destroyed. I lost at least two layers of skin. It was somewhat painful to walk. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? Lubricant? Shoe Inserts? Any information would be appreciated.

Usually I avoid this by checking the fit and feel of a boot before buying it.

After I have bought a pair I go on some short hikes in them to break them in, if any problem develops I return them - most shops, like REI will take them back as long as they are not scuffed or dripping muck.

Good practice also, picking out your hiking socks - not a thing to take lightly! When I go on a Deathmarch™ I wear my best hiking socks, which are comfortable, breath well and don't bunch up. Always carry a dry spare pair.

Also important to make sure your foot is snug inside the boot or repeated motion within the boot can cause injury. It is possible your boots don't really fit you. I learned with ski boots that some manufacturers specialize in ski boots for wide feet, while others specialize in boots for narrow feet. A one year old set of Nordicas was giving me terrible support, with a lot of movement within the boot. As opportunity presented a Ski Boot clinic at a small shop one summer day, I dropped in. Present was a podiatrist from the Denver area, who knew too well poor fit of many boots bought because people liked the name or colors or whatever. With my feet in the vice-like grip of a new pair of boots I was on my way to over a decade of fun skiing in a pair which fit very well.

Have you considered visiting a podiatrist to get a good understanding of your feet, before laying out money for boots? May be money well invested.

Best of luck!

"Has anyone else had this problem?"

Yes.

"What did you do?"

Returned the boots.

A guy I know swears by slippery dress socks when hiking. I think he wears them over his regular socks to prevent friction.

Never heard of steel heeled boots, though.

I used to swear by thin, slippery dress socks (and most importantly, socks that didn't have raised seams) for downhill skiiing boots.

A one year old set of Nordicas was giving me terrible support, with a lot of movement within the boot. As opportunity presented a Ski Boot clinic at a small shop one summer day, I dropped in. Present was a podiatrist from the Denver area, who knew too well poor fit of many boots bought because people liked the name or colors or whatever. With my feet in the vice-like grip of a new pair of boots I was on my way to over a decade of fun skiing in a pair which fit very well.

I used to have a pair of Hansen boots that lasted about that long. These had a plastic bladder with a wax that would soften up when it warmed in between the shell and a dense foam rubber layer. They were easily the most comfortable ski boot I've owned even when I tightened the buckles down pretty tight. The only thing worse than a ski boot that is uncomfortable is a boot that allows movement of your fit inside the boot.

A one year old set of Nordicas was giving me terrible support, with a lot of movement within the boot. As opportunity presented a Ski Boot clinic at a small shop one summer day, I dropped in. Present was a podiatrist from the Denver area, who knew too well poor fit of many boots bought because people liked the name or colors or whatever. With my feet in the vice-like grip of a new pair of boots I was on my way to over a decade of fun skiing in a pair which fit very well.

I used to have a pair of Hansen boots that lasted about that long. These had a plastic bladder with a wax that would soften up when it warmed in between the shell and a dense foam rubber layer. They were easily the most comfortable ski boot I've owned even when I tightened the buckles down pretty tight. The only thing worse than a ski boot that is uncomfortable is a boot that allows movement of your fit inside the boot.

This was indeed the problem for me. I found, contrary to what I throught was true, I have B width feet, not D. Once I'd broken in my Nordica boots the slop gave me no end of control problems on the slopes. I bought a set of Raichle ski boots, which were more geared to narrow feet and my problems were solved. Sore feet for the first few times, after that, the boot and ski became natural extensions of my legs.

Turns out the hiking boots I bought were Raichle, too, as their preference for narrow feet seemed to carry over into the hiking boot line.

As serious backcountry boots I consider survival gear I took my selection very seriously. They have been an investment which have paid off well on Half Dome, Grand Canyon and a few Deathmarches.

This was indeed the problem for me. I found, contrary to what I throught was true, I have B width feet, not D. Once I'd broken in my Nordica boots the slop gave me no end of control problems on the slopes. I bought a set of Raichle ski boots, which were more geared to narrow feet and my problems were solved. Sore feet for the first few times, after that, the boot and ski became natural extensions of my legs.

I had a pair of San Marco boots like that. It took awhile for them to fit just right but I could easily loosen them up while on a chair lift then tighten them up at the top of the hill. I never really noticed any soreness when I was actually skiing, which is a good thing. That last thing I wanted to think about while skiing a run like the west face of KT22 at Squaw Valley was my boots. They performed really well, but where never as comfortable as the Hansens. After skiing in the Hansens for about ten years I went to put them on one day and the dense foam rubber insert just ripped apart. I had basically worn a hole clean through the 5/8" thick rubber and it got brittle over time. I've got a couple of pairs of hiking boots that I really like. I've had one old pair of leather boots resoled twice because, although they were scuffed and scrapped, they still fit really well.

I do not think one pair of shoes will fit all situations for geocaching. It kind of like clubs in your golf bag. Each type of shoe has a place and time.

1. When you caching along a route or travelling, a light pair of slip-on shoes is appropriate.

2. When you to rails-to-trails, a stiff bottom shoe is appropriate if the trail hasn't been improved with uniform gravel.

3. If you are going to be in wet terrain all day, then you will want something to keep you dry as long as possible, and be capable of drying out eventually.

4. If you are in hilly terrain, then you want a boot w/ minimum side slip and won't pinch you toes on the down slopes. Medium stiff

5. If you are doing a park with good trails, then something softer soled and light weight is appropriate.

6. Winter caching might require a high pair of Rockies boots w/ good thermal insulatin.

The point is pick the shoe for what you will be doing. Always take a second pair. Throw them out when they start to loose the sole tread, tear, etc.

I'v never heard of steel toed hiking shoes. I use them for going into the shop or a manufacturing environment, but I would guess they are too stiff for hiking. Hope this helps. Anyway, these are some lessons I've learned by doing this sport for awhile.

Take care..Peoria Bill :>)

I have this same problem. I have lost a lot of skin back there.

I recommend getting a pair of hiking or running socks (you will know it when you find them) thin, slick, and kinda fitted. Then wear a pair of wool socks over these. This helps prevent friction. If you can catch it early enough, try moleskin.

Your feet are going to sweat however. Air them out at lunch.. or on breaks.

Good luck!

Shaun

I've seen steel-toed hiking boots. For all I can recall my backcountry boots may well be .. I'll have to hover a magnet over then to see.

On trails I usually have a choice of 3 shoes -

Flat, short, clear trail - trainers/sneakers CostCo or Big 5

Moderate hikes in fair weather, short hikes less than fair weather - light hiking boots from outfitter of some good repute

Backcountry, Deathmarch, water/rain/snow/mud - the Raichle boots (these are over 10 years old and still going)

For stream beds, etc, I have my old aqua socks, which are kinda coming apart .. probably time to look at another set.

For stream beds, etc, I have my old aqua socks, which are kinda coming apart .. probably time to look at another set.

For streams I've got a pair of felt soled neopreme booties. I'm actually on my second pair as I wore the first ones out. They're also my "go to" footwear for kayaking. They're easy to slip on and off, provide a firm sole for walking on dirt/gravel paths, and work pretty well on moss covered rocks. The only downside is that it doesn't take long for them to star smelling worse than Riffster hat. For that I use a product called "Sink the Stink".

For streams I've got a pair of felt soled neopreme booties. I'm actually on my second pair as I wore the first ones out. They're also my "go to" footwear for kayaking. They're easy to slip on and off, provide a firm sole for walking on dirt/gravel paths, and work pretty well on moss covered rocks. The only downside is that it doesn't take long for them to star smelling worse than Riffster hat. For that I use a product called "Sink the Stink".

I just purchased a pair of "sport sandles" from Target. $22, and are basically sandals with a more agressive tread / firmer grip. I plan on using them kayaking and light hikes.

You may have the wrong shape boot for your feet.

Every boot is made from a different "last" which is the cast they make the boot from.

If you go so somewhere like REI, they have well trained salespeople who can look at your foot and tell you what brands have the same shape as your foot.

REI will also take back the boots no matter what. It doesn't matter if they are muddy or scruffed up. You can return them if they don't work.

Not all stores will take back shoes like REI.

I bought a pair of hiking boots once that the store sold me two different sized shoes. The smaller one caused major problems with the small toe on that foot. They wouldn't take them back at all, even though it was clearly their fault. I had worn them outdoors, so they wouldn't take them back.

Always check on the return policy before buying boots.

I always get boots at REI now. They have good brands, knowledgeable sales people, and the best return policy.

(I have no affiliation with REI)

Good luck.

You may have the wrong shape boot for your feet.

Every boot is made from a different "last" which is the cast they make the boot from.

If you go so somewhere like REI, they have well trained salespeople who can look at your foot and tell you what brands have the same shape as your foot.

REI will also take back the boots no matter what. It doesn't matter if they are muddy or scruffed up. You can return them if they don't work.

Not all stores will take back shoes like REI.

I bought a pair of hiking boots once that the store sold me two different sized shoes. The smaller one caused major problems with the small toe on that foot. They wouldn't take them back at all, even though it was clearly their fault. I had worn them outdoors, so they wouldn't take them back.

Always check on the return policy before buying boots.

I always get boots at REI now. They have good brands, knowledgeable sales people, and the best return policy.

(I have no affiliation with REI)

Good luck.

Having spent a lot of time looking for new hiking boots/shoes, I am not impressed with the staff at my REI. I have a problem with 'rockers'. I do not like them! They hurt my feet. But all shoes these days seem to have them. And I don't want those breathe through meshes. I want to wear them in the winter!

I have not found anything satisfactory yet. Campmoor seemed more knowledgeable and willing to help than REI. At REI, all I kept hearing was: Join REI. And 'you don't need Gortex. You can use spray on.' I was not impressed.

Polypropylene liner socks with heavy wool socks over top. The inner socks wick the sweat away from your skin to help prevent blisters.

99% of hiking boots do not have steel toes & heels. You're describing safety workboots. They are heavy, stiff and not at all designed for hiking.

You need to get yourself to a quality hiking goods store with a variety of boot brands and knowledgable staff who will spend time understanding what type of hiking you're doing, and what sort of boot you really need.

Polypropylene liner socks with heavy wool socks over top. The inner socks wick the sweat away from your skin to help prevent blisters.

Sounds right. As usual, I'm bassackwards. :)

99% of hiking boots do not have steel toes & heels. You're describing safety workboots. They are heavy, stiff and not at all designed for hiking.

You need to get yourself to a quality hiking goods store with a variety of boot brands and knowledgable staff who will spend time understanding what type of hiking you're doing, and what sort of boot you really need.

I agree.

Seen many metal or composite reinforced work shoes made to resemble hikers, but know of no one who'd actually hike in them.

They're simply a (sometimes) lighter weight, "stylish" alternative to the standard work boot.

When I tell one of the younger crowd at work their new job requires safety shoes , they usually go to the "hiker" style.

Safety shoes usually have an ASTM or ANSI rating on them.

I saw on your stats that terrain is normally less than three. Your footwear shouldn't be doing you in at these ratings. Even a standard hunting boot would be an improvement.

If you feel you need "hikers", any store carrying outdoor gear should be able to steer you straight.

I'm very prone to blisters on my feet, so here are my shopping suggestions built on years of experimentation :

1) Buy anti-blister socks. The ones that are actually designed for that exact purpose. Many company make them, you'll find them wherever they sell good hiking equipment. I find the best ones are synthetic and kinda fuzzy on the inside. I tried wearing two pairs of socks, thin socks, thick socks, wool, cotton, nylon. I thought spending 15-20$ on a pair of socks was crazy. Then I bought a pair of anti-blister socks. I went hiking. Went back to the store and bought more pairs, it's pretty much all I wear nowadays.

2) Wear those socks and go shopping for good hiking boots. Good hiking boots are not the ones the seller suggests, nor the ones with the best reviews, they're the one that feel comfortable. Try every pair in the store if needed. Walk around the store with the boots on. Forget about "breaking them in"... sure, you don't go for a full day of hiking the first time you wear new boots, but if they are already uncomfortable after 2 minutes walking around the store, buy something else. Often all boots from one company have a similar fit, so once you found a good pair you know which ones to try first next time you need a pair (sadly, models change so you can't always get the same you bought last time)

3) Increase length of hikes gradually, keep your feet dry, bring moleskin in case a hotspot starts forming. Find lots of caches, it lets your feet rest while you search :lol:

Edited by The red-haired witch

I'm very prone to blisters on my feet, so here are my shopping suggestions built on years of experimentation :

1) Buy anti-blister socks. The ones that are actually designed for that exact purpose. Many company make them, you'll find them wherever they sell good hiking equipment. I find the best ones are synthetic and kinda fuzzy on the inside. I tried wearing two pairs of socks, thin socks, thick socks, wool, cotton, nylon. I thought spending 15-20$ on a pair of socks was crazy. Then I bought a pair of anti-blister socks. I went hiking. Went back to the store and bought more pairs, it's pretty much all I wear nowadays.

2) Wear those socks and go shopping for good hiking boots. Good hiking boots are not the ones the seller suggests, nor the ones with the best reviews, they're the one that feel comfortable. Try every pair in the store if needed. Walk around the store with the boots on. Forget about "breaking them in"... sure, you don't go for a full day of hiking the first time you wear new boots, but if they are already uncomfortable after 2 minutes walking around the store, buy something else. Often all boots from one company have a similar fit, so once you found a good pair you know which ones to try first next time you need a pair (sadly, models change so you can't always get the same you bought last time)

3) Increase length of hikes gradually, keep your feet dry, bring moleskin in case a hotspot starts forming. Find lots of caches, it lets your feet rest while you search :lol:

ALL GOOD POINTS:

Here is one more try on multiple boots from boxes marked the same size. Many times the right and left will be a smidge different. Mix and match until you have found the magic. Then be kind enough to ensure each box has a right and a left before returning the boxes to the shelves.

This is what I was taught when in Scouting.

Currently my liner socks are polypro 'toe-socks' I got at REI. They take some getting used to, but they do prevent 'between-the-toes' blisters that I sometimes get.

As has been already mentioned, boots by any certain manufacture will not necessarily fit every foot. When you do find a boot that fits well, it's a good idea to stick with that manufacturer since there is a better chance their boots will always fit your particular foot.

Haven't seen steel toed boots in forever, but that's what I used as an EMT. Durable as heck but id never even consider hiking in them.

My REI is fantastic. The people are experts and nothing but helpful.

I've found my Keens to be ideal for just about any hike I do up here. They fit like a glove...

Eta: spelling

Edited by JesandTodd

+1. I learned to love liner socks when I was orienteering; prevented a whole lotta blisters.

+1. I learned to love liner socks when I was orienteering; prevented a whole lotta blisters.

Boot fit of course BUT a GOOD pair of socks, in fact two pairs, one thin first and heavy cotton second