Changes in 81 grid

elmh

Occassionally a cache's dif/terrain is changed. This creates changes in my 81 grid. How can I find out which cache has been changed? I find holes in my grid where I thought I had a cache, and unexpected numbers in the holes I thought I had. Is there any way to sort one's finds by dif/terrain? This would be very helpful. elmh

Funny you should mention this as it just happened to me. And, like you, I wondered which cache was changed so that I lost the only one that had filled that spot in the grid. Fortunately, I had not yet replaced my last "found" cache database in GSAK and was able to find which one it was. When I looked the cache up, there was no explanation from the CO as to why it was being changed, or even any mention at all of it being changed. Glad I looked before I did an update, as it will show the new rating.

Funny you should mention this as it just happened to me. And, like you, I wondered which cache was changed so that I lost the only one that had filled that spot in the grid. Fortunately, I had not yet replaced my last "found" cache database in GSAK and was able to find which one it was. When I looked the cache up, there was no explanation from the CO as to why it was being changed, or even any mention at all of it being changed. Glad I looked before I did an update, as it will show the new rating.

Thank you. I don't have GSAK but Pup Patrol's answer enabled me to find it quickly. elmh

if you have GSAK, you can sort by terrain or difficulty once you have all your finds in there. Only way I know how to do it.

Unless a cache was one of my main tough to find a suitable cache for fizzy numbers, I would probably never notice.

Thank you, but I don't have GSAK. Pup Patrol's answer helped me find it quickly. It was one of my main toughies, and it distressed me when it vanished.

Why does it matter which cache changed? I mean, other than out of curiosity...

You wouldn't want to track the cache owner down and harangue them, would you?

Do YOU know how hard it is to get a 1.5/1.5???? :lol:

Why it took me months, actually years, before I found my first one.

Oh wait..... I wasn't caching until that first find. :blink: Oh well.

Occassionally a cache's dif/terrain is changed. This creates changes in my 81 grid. How can I find out which cache has been changed? I find holes in my grid where I thought I had a cache, and unexpected numbers in the holes I thought I had. Is there any way to sort one's finds by dif/terrain? This would be very helpful. elmh

As long as the experience of the cache hasn't changed then I would consider it the same cache.

saw a big kerfuffle when a 5/5 cache was changed to a 1/1 by the owner, eventually it got locked as 5/5 by Groundspeak. I mean, if you risked your life on a true 5/5 and it was changed to a 1/1, you would hate to see it changed wouldn't you? This is assuming you give even a small tinkus darn about statistics. I imagine a lot of cachers would feel cheated to do a true 5 terrain and only get credit for the 1 terrain.

Why does it matter which cache changed? I mean, other than out of curiosity...

You wouldn't want to track the cache owner down and harangue them, would you?

There are very few caches with that terrain rating in my area, which is why I was distressed to lose one of them, leaving a hole in my grid which will be hard to fill. elmh

I would like to see the D/T "locked in" for previous finders after they log it. The CO could still change the D/T but it wold not affect the previous finders' stats. It would really stink to lose a box on the grid which took a lot of effort, time, travel or other skill to find only to lose it. D/T could change due to many reasons, so I can see why a CO could change it, but if I climbed a 50ft tree to log a 3D/4T and later they trim the tree and the CO relocates the cache to a 1.5/2.5 hide I would still like to be rewarded with my 3/4.

I would like to see the D/T "locked in" for previous finders after they log it. The CO could still change the D/T but it wold not affect the previous finders' stats. It would really stink to lose a box on the grid which took a lot of effort, time, travel or other skill to find only to lose it. D/T could change due to many reasons, so I can see why a CO could change it, but if I climbed a 50ft tree to log a 3D/4T and later they trim the tree and the CO relocates the cache to a 1.5/2.5 hide I would still like to be rewarded with my 3/4.

Given your example, it should have been a 3, 3.5 tops. A good argument for not locking them.

I like your idea of locking in the cache ratings at the time of logging in the cache. If I go out searching for a specific cache to fill a hole, and I find it, I would like it not to change after it hits my grid. I have no problem if the CO needs to change it afterwards for some reason that crops up after I have found it. Thanks for the idea, elmh

Given your example, it should have been a 3, 3.5 tops. A good argument for not locking them.

It was just an example. OK, I climbed a 150 ft tree for a 3D/4T, it got trimmed and rehid and is now a 1.5/2.5.

It was just an example. OK, I climbed a 150 ft tree for a 3D/4T, it got trimmed and rehid and is now a 1.5/2.5.

You're missing the point. If the one in your original was listed as a 4 terrain and later corrected to a 3 terrain, locking it may make your graphic look good but would be meaningless since you never really found the 4 terrain in the first place.

Significantly changing the cache is another discussion completely.

You're missing the point. If the one in your original was listed as a 4 terrain and later corrected to a 3 terrain, locking it may make your graphic look good but would be meaningless since you never really found the 4 terrain in the first place.

Let's put it this way. The specific cache that started this discussion was placed nearly 3 years ago. I noticed the change only a couple of days ago. Now, I look at my grid whenever I think I have found something that will make a change in it, which means that I looked, maybe a month ago, and it had not changed. Now it has. I don't know why it has changed, but if it was a correction from its original placement, it has been over 2 years in coming. If it is a result of a real change in the terrain, that's one thing, but I found it under the original conditions. elmh

Let's not forget that difficulty and terrain are based on a COs perception of their cache and the location in which it resides. Sure, there are general guidelines, but D & T are about as consistent as cache size.

We're not really keeping track, but I agree that the D/T should be locked based on the settings at the time you found the cache. If stats are being offered as a means for people to keep track of their caching experience, then those numbers should stay true. I'm not sure how that can be done - some sort of software magic - but it would get my vote.

In the meantime, perhaps you could print out the grid and put a happy face sticker with the date and GC# in each square as you find them. It's only a goal for you, right? :D

All this is probably a good example of why a replacement cache (that differs significantly from the original) should be a new cache entirely.

I agree. a 150ft climb is waaaay different than a lock n' lock covered with sticks at the base of the tree. and the replacement should get a new GC#

Let's not forget that difficulty and terrain are based on a COs perception of their cache and the location in which it resides. Sure, there are general guidelines, but D & T are about as consistent as cache size.

We're not really keeping track, but I agree that the D/T should be locked based on the settings at the time you found the cache. If stats are being offered as a means for people to keep track of their caching experience, then those numbers should stay true. I'm not sure how that can be done - some sort of software magic - but it would get my vote.

In the meantime, perhaps you could print out the grid and put a happy face sticker with the date and GC# in each square as you find them. It's only a goal for you, right? :D

A. While I don't particularly care about most of my grid - most of them are multiples to begin with - the tougher combinations are fewer and farther between, so to speak. There are true challenges, public ones, which are based on these statistics, and it's not fair to pull the rug out from someone who is honestly trying to achieve one of them.

There are true challenges, public ones, which are based on these statistics, and it's not fair to pull the rug out from someone who is honestly trying to achieve one of them.

Perhaps you could/should consider keeping the grid filled-in (and completing the challenge before any caches get changed) as a part of the challenge.

Perhaps you could get dispensation from the owner of the challenge cache? (assuming you can convince them the rating(s) were changed after you found the cache(s))

A. While I don't particularly care about most of my grid - most of them are multiples to begin with - the tougher combinations are fewer and farther between, so to speak. There are true challenges, public ones, which are based on these statistics, and it's not fair to pull the rug out from someone who is honestly trying to achieve one of them.

Am I reading this correctly? You are suggesting two different standards. One standard saying that for "multiples" caches the D/T can be changed at any time. Another standard for "fewer and farther between" caches saying that the D/T should be locked.

I've had this happen more than once. Maybe up to ten times. Sometimes it's because the rating actually gets upgraded, normally it's a downgrade because the cache has been moved and edited, rather than archived and relisted.

Like the first time we lost a trackable, it really annoyed me the first time, but as the experience repeated itself I got less and less emotional. It just means I get to challenge myself again.

People playing a side game is not a reason for me, as a cache owner, to change or not change the D/T ratings of my caches. If they need to be changed for a legitimate reason, I will change them. If it messes up someone's grid, that's not really my problem.

People playing a side game is not a reason for me, as a cache owner, to change or not change the D/T ratings of my caches. If they need to be changed for a legitimate reason, I will change them. If it messes up someone's grid, that's not really my problem.

I like trying to complete my grid but I agree with the above.

That grid is just part of the numbers game. It's not part of geocaching.

However I don't think a CO should change the D/T like the example given earlier and not change the GC# of the cache. Those are two different issues. The reason for the GC# change has nothing to do with the D/T grid.

Am I reading this correctly? You are suggesting two different standards. One standard saying that for "multiples" caches the D/T can be changed at any time. Another standard for "fewer and farther between" caches saying that the D/T should be locked.

No. I was just saying that I have multiple caches in most of the lower D/T rated boxes, so losing one of them doesn't creat a noticable "hole". There are fewer of the higher rated combos in my driving range, so that a sudden "hole", in a box that I had filled, created distress for me. Personally, I would like to fill the grid, but it probably isn't going to happen. I still want to try..... I was upset that a cache that I had found under one rating, kept that rating for over a year and a half after I had found it, and then changed it. If it had changed just after I found it, I might be bummed, but not upset.

No. I was just saying that I have multiple caches in most of the lower D/T rated boxes, so losing one of them doesn't creat a noticable "hole". There are fewer of the higher rated combos in my driving range, so that a sudden "hole", in a box that I had filled, created distress for me. Personally, I would like to fill the grid, but it probably isn't going to happen. I still want to try..... I was upset that a cache that I had found under one rating, kept that rating for over a year and a half after I had found it, and then changed it. If it had changed just after I found it, I might be bummed, but not upset.

I can understand you being upset, but it's just a game within a game. Go get another one. There's no prize for finishing your grid anyway.

I can understand you being upset, but it's just a game within a game. Go get another one. There's no prize for finishing your grid anyway.

Actually, there is a legitimate cache near me, called a "Fizzy Challenge" that is based on filling the grid. elmh

Actually, there is a legitimate cache near me, called a "Fizzy Challenge" that is based on filling the grid. elmh

:rolleyes:

Yeah. So go play the game and get a new one. :blink:

While there are guidelines for assignment of D/T numbers, they are subjective, have caused confusion, and are not generally enforced; in reality the numbers are often inaccurate, sometimes falsified, and always subject to change. They are, in other words, dadgum near meaningless. Making them the basis of a challenge is silly, as is getting worked up over them.

For Fizzy or Well Rounded Cacher challenge caches, if it's not feasible to get another D/T combo that you once had, you may try contacting the challenge cache owner, let them know the situation, and let them make the call on whether your past qualification counts. (Up to you.)

Heh. It just happened to me. I had 4 squares left, and now it's 5.

So it goes. I wasn't really working on it anyway, just following it out of curiosity.

course, it can go in reverse too. I gained a 2.5/4.5 just before I went on a trip to intentionally get one. Saved me going up one really wet tough hill while on a family vacation.

Ditto. +1. Like. Thumbs Up.

And yes, I've completed my grid. But the challenge is secondary to true and accurate cache ratings.

+1

The primary purpose of D/T ratings is to communicate the nature of the geocache experience to potential seekers. Any other uses (including grid-based challenges like the Fizzy Challenge) are purely secondary.

Thank you to all who have posted. Basically, all I. was really after was an easy way to figure out which cache it was that got changed. Pup provided that answer for me, before things got complicated. Thanks,again, to all who took the time to respond. Elmh

I am not going to argue about caches being rated appropriately or not. I am just saying that you should get the D/T for a cache as it was rated at the time you found/logged it. If a cacher can't get the D/T correct, that is another issue.

diff ratings are relative to the cache owners own skil level

so he maybe find it hard, and you find it easy simply since you got more of the needed skils,

if a new cache is rated clearly wrong, and several finders point this out, the CO could trim this a bit up or down

so it match what most findes find more correct.

that is fine I think..

ok I see the problem if your missing matrix location was filled by this, now removed

you drove 100 miles to solve it, but actually got the point unfair or wrong rated,

you cant be safe from this, the way the system is now,

the idea to "lock" ratings on your own finds in your own stat is a good way to solve this,

but I think it is VERY complex to change the system to do this,

just to make a few matrix hunters happy..

your only solution now, is to find another one with the missing rating, go find and log it.

when you got all 81 filled out, by at least 1

then your next quest is to fill all 81 by at least 2 !!!

have fun..

also some caches placed during summer, could be VERY hard to get to,

but ridiculous easy to access during winter, simply since you can walk on thick ice :-)

I must say I took advantage of this a few times my self, since ice is easier for me to handle

over hiring a boat and crew for it.

IF the point of the cache is to make it hard, not easy,

if the idea is you must use a boat, not walk on ice, then the CO should disable the cache during winter time,

since people are smart, they will use the means avalable to them, to access a cache location,

we do it offcourse the way we find most easy and most safe.

I am not going to argue about caches being rated appropriately or not. I am just saying that you should get the D/T for a cache as it was rated at the time you found/logged it. If a cacher can't get the D/T correct, that is another issue.

Your talking about a side, unofficial game (Fizzy challenges etc). As a cache owner, I am not going to worry about that. GC.com shouldn't have to worry about it either.

I would like to see the D/T "locked in" for previous finders after they log it. The CO could still change the D/T but it wold not affect the previous finders' stats. It would really stink to lose a box on the grid which took a lot of effort, time, travel or other skill to find only to lose it

. D/T could change due to many reasons, so I can see why a CO could change it, but if I climbed a 50ft tree to log a 3D/4T and later they trim the tree and the CO relocates the cache to a 1.5/2.5 hide I would still like to be rewarded with my 3/4.

I like your idea of locking in the cache ratings at the time of logging in the cache. If I go out searching for a specific cache to fill a hole, and I find it, I would like it not to change after it hits my grid. I have no problem if the CO needs to change it afterwards for some reason that crops up after I have found it. Thanks for the idea, elmh

I Agree with this statement. Wonderful Idea. Of course there are always problems which could arise because of that. One example would be what if certain cachers helped out other cachers by making d/t caches that a friend needs than switches them to the corret d/t after. That being said it would still be better to have the lock after you find and risk the people who would do the latter.

Simple, just fill your D/T grid completely 3 or 4 times like I have then you don't worry about it so much... :D

Seriously though, if you're finding these rare D/T caches for a specific challenge (Well-rounded etc) then what I recommend is mentioning the D/T in your log. At least then if it changes you can say to the CO of the challenge 'look, it was this when I did it' or something. It's not foolproof but it does help, it also helps you to locate which has changed.

As you fill in your grid, take screen shots of your "finds" list, to keep a record of the D/T of each of your finds. You can sort the finds list by D/T, from lowest to highest. Do that on a regular basis, though, like immediately after logging that 5/5 or whatever.

The screenshot will show the D/T of each cache, the date you found each cache, etc.

Free and easy-to-use program I love for screen captures:

http://www.picpick.org/

Edited by Pup Patrol
Seriously though, if you're finding these rare D/T caches for a specific challenge (Well-rounded etc) then what I recommend is mentioning the D/T in your log. At least then if it changes you can say to the CO of the challenge 'look, it was this when I did it' or something. It's not foolproof but it does help, it also helps you to locate which has changed.

That's a great suggestion. I'd imagine it would work well with most reasonable CO's.

Simple, just fill your D/T grid completely 3 or 4 times like I have then you don't worry about it so much... :D

Great idea! Thanks for the useful response smile.gif

As you fill in your grid, take screen shots of your "finds" list, to keep a record of the D/T of each of your finds. You can sort the finds list by D/T, from lowest to highest. Do that on a regular basis, though, like immediately after logging that 5/5 or whatever.

The screenshot will show the D/T of each cache, the date you found each cache, etc.

Free and easy-to-use program I love for screen captures:

http://www.picpick.org/

And thank you for another good idea! smile.gif