Non logging of finds.

I have recently run into some problems with a new geocacher that does not know how this game is played. They have found several of my caches and have not logged them in. The only reason I know this is they did sign the log in one cache but when I contacted them they did not know they should log the finds on line but also said they did not know how to do this. They made unequal trades and took a travel bug but did not log it either. They have no finds or hides registered. They did reply to one e-mail but have not received any others. I mentioned that the travel bug needs to be logged, but I am sure they don't know what a travel bug is. Any suggestions on how to proceed with this other than hope they reply?

For years I've been complaining about puritans who say you can't log a find online unless you signed the log. "Why aren't you more concerned about all the people who do sign the log and then don't log online?" I would ask.

Finally someone is complaining about this.

Yep. Some people just don't want to play this game "right". Every day, newbies try out geocaching (especially now that you can do it with a cell phone). They might create an online account so they can get coordinates for caches. But they probably have no intention of ever posting anything online. What for. They get enjoyment from finding caches and perhaps making trades. They may never even look at the so-called rules on Geocaching.com because they just don't need them to have fun. (Or more likely after finding a few caches they decide it's not that much fun and they quit).

I certainly sympathize with travel bug owner if a bug is taken and not logged. But it happens. I can understand a cache owner's disappointment if they didn't trade fairly. But accept it. It happens. You don't need a license to go geocaching and there is not much one can do if someone doesn't want to log their finds. Sending emails to someone who may or may not be the same person who signed the log, might be seen as helping to educated someone. But it might also be seen as harassment. Just take a deep breath and stop worrying about it.

You can only politely explain the suggested method for logging but at the end of the day on line logging is up to them.

The position regarding the TB is a little bit different and you may like to alert the owner of the TB to the issue so they can contact the cacher that has picked it up and not logged it. Hopefully they will respond to some advice re the protocol re the TB.

I am not concerned about them not logging, that is up to them, but am concerned about swag disappearing and them not even signing the log books. They also altered a container so as to make it not water resistant. However maybe with time they will be more considerate, when and if, they put out there own caches.

I would focus on the travel-bug issue. I like the idea of giving their email address to the travel bug owner.

As for the other stuff, the info on fair-trading etc is there, my guess is they are too lazy to read it. If they wanted to log their finds online, they would have figured it out by now, my guess is they are not interested in that either.

I would focus on the travel-bug issue. I like the idea of giving their email address to the travel bug owner.

As for the other stuff, the info on fair-trading etc is there, my guess is they are too lazy to read it. If they wanted to log their finds online, they would have figured it out by now, my guess is they are not interested in that either.

You can only politely explain the suggested method for logging but at the end of the day on line logging is up to them.

The position regarding the TB is a little bit different and you may like to alert the owner of the TB to the issue so they can contact the cacher that has picked it up and not logged it. Hopefully they will respond to some advice re the protocol re the TB.

Well said.

I came to that conclusion now also and have changed my caches to premium members only.

You have possibly had the misfortune of being hit by cache pirates or as they are called here cache maggots. They are usually teenage boys who think it is funny that people leave containers full of swag that they can anonymously plunder. Generally, these scumbags will log their find as a way to get attention. Fortunately they loose interest quickly - but not before doing some damage and perhaps claiming a few travel bugs or coins. Making caches premium member only is one way to foil them since most won't pay the money for premium memberships.

People don't *have* to log a find - it really makes little difference barring one less 'find' in the statistics of a cache, which I don't see as a huge issue. If they don't want to log them online it is no problem to me, they just miss out on an easy way of keeping track of what has or hasn't been found.

I do have a bit more of a problem with the travel bug - it is owned by somebody, and is meant to be logged to show its travels - not logging it means it doesn't do this as it should, and more importantly, I would be worried that not having read the travel bugs page, a newbie risks not realising what they hold and what they should be doing with it (let alone completing specific missions).

I would be tempted to send one more email, make a point of saying that logging or not is a personal choice, but the bug is owned by someone and should really be logged properly online.

I have recently run into some problems with a new geocacher that does not know how this game is played. They have found several of my caches and have not logged them in. The only reason I know this is they did sign the log in one cache but when I contacted them they did not know they should log the finds on line but also said they did not know how to do this. They made unequal trades and took a travel bug but did not log it either. They have no finds or hides registered. They did reply to one e-mail but have not received any others. I mentioned that the travel bug needs to be logged, but I am sure they don't know what a travel bug is. Any suggestions on how to proceed with this other than hope they reply?

That's nothing out of the ordinary anymore and it will just get worse and worse with all the phone apps.

My daughter has well over 12oo finds yet she has only logged about 400 of them. "Logging is no fun" for her. My son too with about 1000 finds, has only logged about 80.

Fortunately, they got started with me and they know what to do with TB's.

I've found several thousand caches in the last couple of years that I haven't logged online. Maybe someday I will. Maybe I won't. What does it matter to you?

Absolutely your choice, but when I visit somewhere I tend to have the decency to say thank you.

You're assuming thanks was not written on the paper log which cache owners should be checking when they do their periodic maintenance on a cache. Chances are if I didn't write a lot online there's something written in that log in the cache.