Geocoin replaced with cardboard replica

larryc43230

I've released more than 200 geocoins into the wild since I started caching, but this is the first time this has happened to me.

I released Larry's Take a Moment Geocoin (gold) into the wild on October 6, 2009. Since then, it has traveled more than 1,500 miles. The last time the actual coin was logged was on November 27, 2010, when it was placed in a cache in Ontario, Canada. It was reported missing from the cache on May 17, 2011. After two such reports, I marked the coin as Missing on June 21.

On October 2, a cacher "Grabbed" the coin, and reported that they had found it in a different cache in Ontario province. Well, sort of. They stated in their log, "Not sure if this was an actual coin coin, but it is now a Paper coin on cardboard with a tracking number."

I have never released a coin replica. I'm aware that other cachers do this, but it's just not my style. The coin in question was originally released in a freezer bag with one of GC's Info Sheets included with the coin itself. From all appearances, someone stole the coin, then replaced it in the cache (or maybe another cache) with a cardboard replica that included the Tracking Number.

I've had about half of my geocoins go missing eventually, and that doesn't really surprise me. I'm pleased that the other half of them are still traveling around. What surprises me is that someone would replace my real coin with a fake and release the fake as if it were the real thing.

Has anyone else had this happen to one of their coins?

--Larry

No, I haven't, but it makes me start to wonder about other replica coins that I've seen. I have always assumed that they were released by the coin owner. But maybe not! Sorry to hear that.

I wonder about that, too, though I haven't seen too many replicas in this area, at least not yet.

PS: IBTM

I posted this here simply because I don't hang out much on the Travel Bug forum. :P

Plus, I thought there might be general interest in the topic.

--Larry

I've seen quite a few of those in these parts of Michigan. Must have a lot of thieves around these parts.

I've heard of coin owners who choose not to release the actual coin, and instead use a replica of some sort with the Tracking Number included so finders can log it. I've heard of both handmade cardboard coins and more-professional looking substitutes. I can sympathize with those who use these replacements, since coins can get expensive. I would guess (with no way of knowing for sure) that almost all the cardboard "coins" you've encountered have actually been released by the coin owners.

--Larry

No, I haven't, but it makes me start to wonder about other replica coins that I've seen. I have always assumed that they were released by the coin owner. But maybe not! Sorry to hear that.

Ditto to all the above. And in a further related sad development, there was a vendor at GW9 selling some sort of 'official proxy coin' object. I guess the point is that you could release some lame plastic token into the wild, never let go of the real precious, and still get the thrill of owning a traveling trackable coin. /sigh

And in a further related sad development, there was a vendor at GW9 selling some sort of 'official proxy coin' object. I guess the point is that you could release some lame plastic token into the wild, never let go of the real precious, and still get the thrill of owning a traveling trackable coin. /sigh

That was what I referred to as "more-professional looking substitutes" in my previous posts. I've read about those, though I would never use them myself.

--Larry

'official proxy coin' object. I guess the point is that you could release some lame plastic token

I've seen those, not sure which geocoin site is selling them, but I believe they are 'real metal', can be pre-engraved with the tracking number of your choice, and are intended to replace coins that have already been stolen.

I considered getting some for the coins still here at home in my possession, but decided against it.

Ditto to all the above. And in a further related sad development, there was a vendor at GW9 selling some sort of 'official proxy coin' object. I guess the point is that you could release some lame plastic token into the wild, never let go of the real precious, and still get the thrill of owning a traveling trackable coin. /sigh

Those actually didn't look too bad at GW9! I have not heard of this. But maybe Larry could contact a highly active cacher from the area it went missing (you know, from surfing the listings around there), and ask if they've heard of this happening in their area? At the very least, you have a somewhat guilty thief here. :)

I've released more than 200 geocoins into the wild since I started caching.

I've had about half of my geocoins go missing eventually, and that doesn't really surprise me.

--Larry

I love my trackable geocoins, and I keep them in my own camo ammo can. I keep my hiking staff in my hand at all times now that it is trackable. I had bad luck with the ones that I released going MIA. We do use those other trackable items that have their own web site as geocaching SWAG.

I also have some proxy geocoins, but not made from paper. I engraved the tracking number on a keychain once, it showes up every now and then but the real one is a goner.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters
I've seen those, not sure which geocoin site is selling them, but I believe they are 'real metal', can be pre-engraved with the tracking number of your choice, and are intended to replace coins that have already been stolen.

I thought they were plastic, but a poke around their website proved me wrong.

I have very little desire to release fake coins into the wild.

My friend got a couple of "Copy Cats" that are a similar proxy. Now they are missing too! I have very little desire to release real trackable geocoins into the wild, but that does not stop me from collection them. The last one I bought was a hiking staff medallion from Groundspeak. That is one heavy medallion made more like a geocoin than a hiking staff medallaion, which I also collect.

As a new cacher, I really like Geocoins. However, I am not sure if I will ever let one into the wild. They are too expensive for me to give to some random person who steals it. While it appears not to be a popular view, I would prefer to buy a combo pack of a real coin to keep and collect, and a copy of some type to send into the wild. I think people will get the idea that you have the original, but are sharing your taste in coins. I have considered even having my own geocoins made, but after reading about the very high percentage that come up missing. I probably will not do that.

As a new cacher, I really like Geocoins. However, I am not sure if I will ever let one into the wild. They are too expensive for me to give to some random person who steals it. While it appears not to be a popular view, I would prefer to buy a combo pack of a real coin to keep and collect, and a copy of some type to send into the wild. I think people will get the idea that you have the original, but are sharing your taste in coins. I have considered even having my own geocoins made, but after reading about the very high percentage that come up missing. I probably will not do that.

Perhaps instead of goocoins you might consider releasing personal signature items such as poker chips or wooden nickles. You don't get the thrill of vocarious travels, but you do get to share your personal taste with others. I used to distribute my sigs freely. Now I only drop them in places I have never been before. It'd be a real treat for me to find one of my own sig items had preceeded me to a cache. Never happened, but still hopeful.

What does IBTM mean?

I would guess "In before the move" meaning, the thread was posted on another part of the forum and would soon be moved to this one.

IBTL aka "In before the lock" - a close relative of the above, typically when a thread is going south enough to warrant a moderator step in and lock it.

We have released a handful of coins and if they were to go missing and for an extensive period of time then we would probably use one of those proxy's. We would never think of releasing a proxy just to keep the original in hand that to us would be a type of cheating. We like seeing where they make it to and the comments of the people that find them. We just don't think the comment quality would be there if it was a proxy.

What does IBTM mean?

I would guess "In before the move" meaning, the thread was posted on another part of the forum and would soon be moved to this one.

IBTL aka "In before the lock" - a close relative of the above, typically when a thread is going south enough to warrant a moderator step in and lock it.

Thanks for the explanation!

I've recommended before that anyone who releases a proxy puts "PROXY" in the title and includes something in the description like "this is a proxy, or substitute, geocoin" -- that warns proxy-haters that they're not going to see an actual coin.

Conversely, though, I've always recommended that anyone who releases an actual coin puts something in the description like "Note: this is an ACTUAL GEOCOIN, not a proxy (or copy) geocoin". That way, you're more likely to get notification right away if someone goes to find the coin and finds a proxy instead.

I've released more than 200 geocoins into the wild since I started caching, but this is the first time this has happened to me.

I released Larry's Take a Moment Geocoin (gold) into the wild on October 6, 2009. Since then, it has traveled more than 1,500 miles. The last time the actual coin was logged was on November 27, 2010, when it was placed in a cache in Ontario, Canada. It was reported missing from the cache on May 17, 2011. After two such reports, I marked the coin as Missing on June 21.

On October 2, a cacher "Grabbed" the coin, and reported that they had found it in a different cache in Ontario province. Well, sort of. They stated in their log, "Not sure if this was an actual coin coin, but it is now a Paper coin on cardboard with a tracking number."

I have never released a coin replica. I'm aware that other cachers do this, but it's just not my style. The coin in question was originally released in a freezer bag with one of GC's Info Sheets included with the coin itself. From all appearances, someone stole the coin, then replaced it in the cache (or maybe another cache) with a cardboard replica that included the Tracking Number.

I've had about half of my geocoins go missing eventually, and that doesn't really surprise me. I'm pleased that the other half of them are still traveling around. What surprises me is that someone would replace my real coin with a fake and release the fake as if it were the real thing.

Has anyone else had this happen to one of their coins?

I was on the receiving end of one of these. someone stole the coin and left a cheap piece of plastic with the code on it. well when i moved it to another cache i wrote dropped geocoin proxy and the owner of the coin emailed me accusing me of stealing it.

We like seeing where they make it to and the comments of the people that find them. We just don't think the comment quality would be there if it was a proxy.

Hmmm...

This sounds like the basis for a good experiement.

Suggestion: Release an equal number of real geocoins and well-made proxies (say three or four) in the same area at the same time. Then watch the travels and posts for each group. It would be interesting to see if indeed the actual geocoins receive better posts and handling.

If you have the problem of a sense of 'cheating' by releasing the proxies, I don't think there would be any harm in posting on the coin's page, 'This proxy was released as part of an experiment.' That would at least let people know why you were releasing a proxy.

I would offer to conduct the experiment, but to be honest, it's too rich for my wallet right now.

I've seen quite a few of those in these parts of Michigan. Must have a lot of thieves around these parts.

I've heard of coin owners who choose not to release the actual coin, and instead use a replica of some sort with the Tracking Number included so finders can log it. I've heard of both handmade cardboard coins and more-professional looking substitutes. I can sympathize with those who use these replacements, since coins can get expensive. I would guess (with no way of knowing for sure) that almost all the cardboard "coins" you've encountered have actually been released by the coin owners.

--Larry

This is the very reason that I was talked into coming out of retirement and starting GxProxy.com. There is such a need for a quality proxy "stunt coin" that can travel with the tracking code and allow those that do not want to chance their original Geocoin going MIA. We sell original trackable geocoins we call Replicoins and the Ready2Go Proxy coins which carry the original coins tracking code and take those who find it to the original Geocoin information and photos. The advantage to the Proxy is that the coin lost to floods, construction or other misadventures can once again travel for $2.99. Having worked closely with Groundspeack and having theire support we are now busy helping cachers resurrect their MIA Geocoins.

We really missed finding coins in caches like 6 years ago when we started and wanted the newer cachers enjoy the thrill of the find.

The Proxy coins were donated to MWGB, ASPGeobash, Geowoodstock9 and will be given to anyone purchasing the Geocoinfest official coin. With the same weight and feel of the minted coins we are on a mission to place coins back into circulation...if you purchased an official event coin and did not receive the Proxy coin make sure you contact us so we can get it to you.

--Larry

This is the very reason that I was talked into coming out of retirement and starting GxProxy.com. There is such a need for a quality proxy "stunt coin" that can travel with the tracking code and allow those that do not want to chance their original Geocoin going MIA. We sell original trackable geocoins we call Replicoins and the Ready2Go Proxy coins which carry the original coins tracking code and take those who find it to the original Geocoin information and photos. The advantage to the Proxy is that the coin lost to floods, construction or other misadventures can once again travel for $2.99. Having worked closely with Groundspeack and having theire support we are now busy helping cachers resurrect their MIA Geocoins.

We really missed finding coins in caches like 6 years ago when we started and wanted the newer cachers enjoy the thrill of the find.

The Proxy coins were donated to MWGB, ASPGeobash, Geowoodstock9 and will be given to anyone purchasing the Geocoinfest official coin. With the same weight and feel of the minted coins we are on a mission to place coins back into circulation...if you purchased an official event coin and did not receive the Proxy coin make sure you contact us so we can get it to you.

We were at GW9 and didn't get our proxy coins because we didn't have them with us when we found your booth. We were told at the booth to email you with the tracking numbers, which we did right away that evening, and never received anything?

We like seeing where they make it to and the comments of the people that find them. We just don't think the comment quality would be there if it was a proxy.

Hmmm...

This sounds like the basis for a good experiement.

Suggestion: Release an equal number of real geocoins and well-made proxies (say three or four) in the same area at the same time. Then watch the travels and posts for each group. It would be interesting to see if indeed the actual geocoins receive better posts and handling.

If you have the problem of a sense of 'cheating' by releasing the proxies, I don't think there would be any harm in posting on the coin's page, 'This proxy was released as part of an experiment.' That would at least let people know why you were releasing a proxy.

I would offer to conduct the experiment, but to be honest, it's too rich for my wallet right now.

I like the idea of the experiment, but I also don't want to fund it. But if we make this a virtual experiment, here is what happens for me.

Say I went to a cache, and it had a real trackable, and a proxy trackable. I would take the real trackable to move it, but I would just discover the proxy and leave it.

Then the next day, I went to a cache, and it had a just a proxy trackable in it. I would take the proxy to move, and since I still had the one I picked up yesterday, I would drop it.

Then the following day I find a good cache with no trackable, I would leave the proxy there.

So for me, I will respect and move the proxy basically the same as a real trackable, but I would give priority to a real trackable whenever possible.\

The net effect of this is that the real ones move slightly better than the proxies, but not much. But then if a proxy-hater comes along, the chance for the proxy goes down. And if a coin-thief comes along, the chance for the real coin goes down. So I think in the end is is almost a wash.