How do you become a Reviewer?

Abcede97

How are reviewers assigned? By area?

How many caches do reviewers have to monitor?

How do you become a reviewer?

I see so many caches that have not been found in several months to years.

I understand if something is on a Mt.Top it will have many less finds.

But I am talking about your Traditional regular caches.

It seems like some CO's either have placed more than they can manage or

they are not paying attention & there could be some "cleaning up" done.

Reviewers are not responsible for monitoring caches, that is left up to the community. Reviewers rely on the community to report problems with caches and then act on reports of neglect or abanodonment.

Just because a cache has gone unfound for and extended period does not mean that a cache owner has abandoned it. Caches tend to get fewer and fewer finds on them over time once all of the active area cachers have found them. After the "honeymoon period" they will only get found by new cachers or someone that is just visiting the area.

You have about 140 finds and 0 hides so you don't have the experience to become a reviewer just yet.

However, there's still lots you can do to help your local reviewer out. For instance, if you see a cache that nobody has found in years and the last 5 people (including experienced cachers) have DNFd and it's supposed to be an easy cache....Then it's time to post a 'Needs Archived' log. This will alert your local reviewer who may archive immediately or give the cache owner 30 days. For other caches that are there, but in bad shape, you can post Needs Maintenance logs.

The forum search function works well. B) This has been discussed a couple of times in the past.

Here's the Knowledge Books entry:

11.9. Becoming a Volunteer Cache Reviewer

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=278

That link won't do it. Got one to clean up caches?

Sorry, that was for what I thought was the main question.

Here's a link for the other issue:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

:D

For something like a cache that may not have been found for a long time (with a string of multiple DNFs) that you have searched for yourself and have not found, then I would think a DNF followed by a Needs Maintenance log asking the CO to check if it's still there would be better then a Needs Archived log. And of course, if you haven't searched for the cache, then obviously you should try doing that first.

One cache I searched for a while back had a string of 3 DNFs in a row and had not been found in about 6 months. It wasn't on top of a mountain, and didn't require hours of hiking. It just happened to be in a swampy area out in the country. And I found it. Counting from the last found log to the DNF before my log, there were 5 logged attempts on that cache. In the same time period, another cache nearby had more then double the number of logged visits. Of course, that other cache wasn't in a swamp. So basically, number of logged visits to a cache can vary quite a bit.

And one last note, while it may or may not apply to the caches the OP is talking about, there are caches out there where seeing a lot more DNFs then Finds is to be expected, so a long string of DNFs alone doesn't mean a cache isn't there. It could just be well hidden. :)

Well. It does not help here. I try to help our reviwer with emailing him about caches that are wrong, caches disabled for 2 or more years, posting "needs archive" logs, etc... Emails I get back seems to be like he does not like what I do. Like he does not like to be informed of problems, etc...

However let's give him a break. He needs to take care of atleast 3 countries here in Europe. I help if I can....

Well. It does not help here. I try to help our reviwer with emailing him about caches that are wrong, caches disabled for 2 or more years, posting "needs archive" logs, etc... Emails I get back seems to be like he does not like what I do. Like he does not like to be informed of problems, etc...

However let's give him a break. He needs to take care of atleast 3 countries here in Europe. I help if I can....

No one likes a geo cop. That fact had been covered many times. You should probably stick to your caching activity.

...if you see a cache that nobody has found in years and the last 5 people (including experienced cachers) have DNFd and it's supposed to be an easy cache....Then it's time to post a 'Needs Archived' log.

PLEASE do NOT do this unless you first visit the cache YOURSELF.

Busybody cachers posting 'Needs Archived' notes on caches they have never even been close to cause more trouble than they alleviate.

...if you see a cache that nobody has found in years and the last 5 people (including experienced cachers) have DNFd and it's supposed to be an easy cache....Then it's time to post a 'Needs Archived' log.

Busybody cachers posting 'Needs Archived' notes on caches they have never even been close to cause more trouble than they alleviate.

Yeah, no one like a Geocop or busybody, although I can see what drives some people to do it. There are "reviewers at large" (one very active in these forums), but I doubt their main job is to go on clean-up sweeps, or go looking in the listings for obviously missing caches that have no SBA's on them.

As far as becoming one yourself, yes, refer to the knowledge books article. And sorry to say, as someone else did, a person with 145 finds, no hides, who has never attended an event, is extremely unlikely to ever get a look at being appointed one. Get involved. Really involved. As long as that doesn't mean posting armchair SBA logs. :P

Yes. For Northern California, where you appear to be located, there are three active Reviewers. Southern CA has two. The dividing line is approximately N36.

We monitor the entire Northern California region. Our duties include reviewing Updated Coordinates log entries, and Needs Archived log entries and taking action when it appears to be necessary.

Answered in the link from the KB posted earlier. In my case, when one of the Reviewers in our area took a sabbatical, a search was made by asking respected members of the Geocaching Community for a list of candidates. People I thought were my friends nominated me (just kidding guys :) )

Once every couple of months or so, I generate a PQ of Disabled caches in the region. I flag those that appear to have been Disabled for quite some time (usually on the order of 2-3 months). If the Cache Owner responds to my Note that they intend on fixing the cache up, I leave it be. Otherwise the Listing gets Archived after +/- 30 days, with a Note offering to Unarchive the Listing provided that the cache placement still conforms with the Guidelines. I usually get half a dozen requests to Unarchive Listings after sweeps of this sort.

I'll also add, that I'm a little surprised at this question, since I just finished such a sweep about a week or so ago, and the month before that, one of the Reviewers that I share the region with did a similar sweep (I noticed that our PQ's overlapped a bit).

If there are specific Listings that you have some concerns about, please feel free to contact me.

Once every couple of months or so, I generate a PQ of Disabled caches in the region. I flag those that appear to have been Disabled for quite some time (usually on the order of 2-3 months).

So what about caches that do not get disabled that have multiple DNF's and Needs Maintanence logsd that the owners are not responding to. Do you do a PQ for those as well?

It seems to me the problem lies with the cachers who never stepped up and did a NA log. A cache like you described should have had one by someone who had attempted it. There is a reluctance to do that sometimes. I don't do caches with multiple Dnf's so don't come across them except rarely when with someone who doesn't filter for that. If I did I would log the a NA.

There are "reviewers at large" (one very active in these forums), but I doubt their main job is to go on clean-up sweeps, or go looking in the listings for obviously missing caches that have no SBA's on them.

There is a volunteer reviewer assistant who occasionally sweeps our area. They look for caches that are obviously missing or need maintenance, then post a note giving the cache owner 30 days to respond or fix things. I don't recall this "sweeper" ever disabling or archiving a cache; they leave it to our local reviewer to follow up with these actions, when necessary.

Our local reviewer also does periodic clean-up sweeps as well.

I'd suggest taking this a step further: Verify that it is indeed missing. Just because 5 or 6 people (experienced or otherwise) can't find it does not mean it is missing. Check with someone who has found it before and have them verify whether or not it is missing before posting a "Needs Archived" log.

Absence of finds does not imply absence of cache or owner. If nobody logs a cache for months or even years, that also means nobody has logged a DNF. Caches sometimes go awhile without being attempted and not just because they are remote. Snowfall will impair caching in the northern US while the summer heat, humidity, and rain sure cuts down on the summer geocaching here in South Florida. A month without any logs or a single DNF is not usually cause for alarm.

This does point out the importance of DNFs. If you search for the cache and can't find it, please remember to log accordingly!

If you feel there is an issue with a cache due to lots of DNFs with no Finds and this seems disproportional to the cache rating and/or log history, you can always message the CO or post a Note pointing out the DNFs and politely asking the CO to check on the cache. A Reviewer only needs to get involved if the CO is unresponsive.

I would advise against looking far and wide for problems. However, if in the course of normal geocaching you find a problem, do log problems you encounter.

No one likes a geo cop. That fact had been covered many times. You should probably stick to your caching activity.

My local reviewer appreciates it when people point out issues with caches. And if we don't police our game, then there is the real possibility that the real police will become involved.

All the reviewers probably appreciate you alerting them to issues with the cache that you observe when you actually find the cache.

I doubt many, not even your local one, reviewers really appreciate someone sitting at their computer scanning through cache listings on the hunt for disabled caches and then sending a ton of NA logs their way.

Once every couple of months or so, I generate a PQ of Disabled caches in the region. I flag those that appear to have been Disabled for quite some time (usually on the order of 2-3 months).

So what about caches that do not get disabled that have multiple DNF's and Needs Maintanence logsd that the owners are not responding to. Do you do a PQ for those as well?

One would hope at some point someone would post a NA log which will alert the reviewer. The reviewer shouldn't need to go hunting for these.

I cant help asking the question ' There must be some CO responsibilty here'. If I owned a cache that hadnt been visited for months or had a number of DNFs or somebody had posted any sort of maintenance suggestion I would feel it my duty to periodically visit the cache and post a note to confirm it is there. Isnt that a specific CO requirement.?

If this is not done regularly then I have no sympathy when reviewers/cachers ask/arrange for the cache to be archived.

I cant help asking the question ' There must be some CO responsibilty here'. If I owned a cache that hadnt been visited for months or had a number of DNFs or somebody had posted any sort of maintenance suggestion I would feel it my duty to periodically visit the cache and post a note to confirm it is there. Isnt that a specific CO requirement.?

If this is not done regularly then I have no sympathy when reviewers/cachers ask/arrange for the cache to be archived.

+1

If many experienced cachers are having trouble finding a supposedly EASY cache, then it's 99.9% likely gone. AND in this case the CO has the responsiblity to check it out within a reasonable time frame. I've seen caches go for 9 months+ like this with NO action from the CO!

Like I said, I would only suggest posting a Needs Archived IF the cache was supposed to be an EASY find AND many experienced cachers couldn't find it. I wouldn't see the need to go searching myself, what a WASTE OF TIME!!

I might be part of the problem, but there are some caches around me that haven't been found in a long time, with a long string of DNFs, and the CO is no longer active, but a popular hider for my area I have searched and DNFd, but I do not want to post a NA log because I dont want the local cachers to look down on me. Who knows...maybe they won't, but i dont want to be labeled "that guy"

If you are a diligent CO, you will unlikely get a Needs Archived log posted on your cache. I hate it when people block entire areas for months and even years with their neglected, disabled, or missing caches. It can be very frustrating for cachers in my area trying to find a spot to hide a cache. If your level 1 cache has been MIA for 6 months+, with multiple needs maintenace and/or DNFs, I'm going to post a Needs Archived whether you like it or not. :ph34r:

I might be part of the problem, but there are some caches around me that haven't been found in a long time, with a long string of DNFs, and the CO is no longer active, but a popular hider for my area I have searched and DNFd, but I do not want to post a NA log because I dont want the local cachers to look down on me. Who knows...maybe they won't, but i dont want to be labeled "that guy"

Sock puppet?

I once posted a NA and got an irrate email from the CO. The cache had been missing 9 months+. There were some personal issues, but the MAIN reason is the CO didn't actually live here, they had the cache ready to go, but were waiting for their once/year summer holiday to replace. No, there was no post on the cache page, so people were still going looking for it. What a waste of gas and time!

+1

If many experienced cachers are having trouble finding a supposedly EASY cache, then it's 99.9% likely gone. AND in this case the CO has the responsiblity to check it out within a reasonable time frame. I've seen caches go for 9 months+ like this with NO action from the CO!

Like I said, I would only suggest posting a Needs Archived IF the cache was supposed to be an EASY find AND many experienced cachers couldn't find it. I wouldn't see the need to go searching myself, what a WASTE OF TIME!!

That doesn't mean that someone that has never even looked for it should post a Needs Maintanence or Archive request on the cache page. Here is one example of where a cache was there the whole time even though it had a string of 13 DNF's over close to a year from cachers who had collectively found more than 28,000 caches, including myself. I posted a Needs Maintanence after I DNF'd for the second time but I would never do that unless I had actually gone to look for the cache...

Sock puppet?

I'd recommend a private email to the reviewer over the use of a sock puppet.

+1

That doesn't mean that someone that has never even looked for it should post a Needs Maintanence or Archive request on the cache page. Here is one example of where a cache was there the whole time even though it had a string of 13 DNF's over close to a year from cachers who had collectively found more than 28,000 caches, including myself. I posted a Needs Maintanence after I DNF'd for the second time but I would never do that unless I had actually gone to look for the cache...

Great example, but surely in the 12 months that the cache sat idle the CO should have simply checked on his cache and made sure it was accessible/still there etc as per the express requirements of placing the cache.

I agree with you that I would not post a NA or NM log unless I had attempted/visited GZ myself although I may consider an e-mail to the CO asking for some clarification of a caches status if it is a complicated multi or long hike where others had posted alleged issues with its integrity.

+1

Great example, but surely in the 12 months that the cache sat idle the CO should have simply checked on his cache and made sure it was accessible/still there etc as per the express requirements of placing the cache.

Absolutley, which is why I posted the NM log and said waht I did in it. The CO had moved away, was no longer able to maintain the cache and had posted a request for someone to adopt it on his cache page but apparently he either never followed through or no one took him up on it. It's amazing how many people have found it since those 13 consecutive DNF's over a year although there have been 2 or 3 hiking events along the trail it is placed on over the summer. It's a popular hike with one of th eoldest caches in the state at the end of it...

+1

Absolutley, which is why I posted the NM log and said waht I did in it. The CO had moved away, was no longer able to maintain the cache and had posted a request for someone to adopt it on his cache page but apparently he either never followed through or no one took him up on it. It's amazing how many people have found it since those 13 consecutive DNF's over a year although there have been 2 or 3 hiking events along the trail it is placed on over the summer. It's a popular hike with one of th eoldest caches in the state at the end of it...

You know I always find it amusing that after a string of DNF's on an easy cache owned by an absentee owner it will suddenly get a find or two, more DNF's and then another find or two. It make me wonder if someone is not armchair logging a smiley or since they went to the location of the "missing" cache they felt they were entitled to the smiley. Seems like the ones logging the finds are just about always low find count cachers. If the cache is really missing how are they going to get called out, the owner is absent and the log is presumably long gone. Perhaps one of these days I'll drop them a line and say I have been looking for the cache and couldn't find it, can you tell me where you found it? If it is in my normal area I'll post a NM and if the owner does not respond in 4 to 6 weeks I'll post a NA. Sometimes the reviewer takes action some times they don't. Mostly it ends up on the ignore list.

Sock puppet?

A little Sock Puppet experience there, eh Normalet? :ph34r:

My local reviewer appreciates it when people point out issues with caches. And if we don't police our game, then there is the real possibility that the real police will become involved.

All the reviewers probably appreciate you alerting them to issues with the cache that you observe when you actually find the cache.

I doubt many, not even your local one, reviewers really appreciate someone sitting at their computer scanning through cache listings on the hunt for disabled caches and then sending a ton of NA logs their way.

I agree with this, but if I notice an easy urban cache my area that had twenty finds, then ten DNFs. The cache owner has three finds and one hide and the dates in his profile make it clear that he participated for two days and then never came back to the website, after placing his hide, and that was nine months ago. I do NOT have to look under the lamp post skirt to know that it is missing and it's not going to get replaced. I just might drop a NA on it. My reviewer would look at the same thing and archive it without the normal warning.

A hunt and destroy mission is something quite different.

That's the problem. No one wants to be "that guy". The result is more and more missing caches with long strings of DNF. Imagine how that must look to the newcomers? What incentive is there for them to get involved with the sport if it looks like no one in the area really cares about it?

Sock puppet?

Nothing wrong with a sock or two. Just ask GOF.

But I wouldn't use one to go posting NA logs on a bunch of caches. TPTB will likely figure it out and be not too happy about it. :ph34r:

If you are a diligent CO, you will unlikely get a Needs Archived log posted on your cache. I hate it when people block entire areas for months and even years with their neglected, disabled, or missing caches. It can be very frustrating for cachers in my area trying to find a spot to hide a cache. If your level 1 cache has been MIA for 6 months+, with multiple needs maintenace and/or DNFs, I'm going to post a Needs Archived whether you like it or not. :ph34r:

Actually it has happened to me.

Ms. 'Cachemeister's Favorite Market

Four DNFs, and a cacher who never visited the site posted a SBA. The cache was in place just where it should have been.

For instance, if you see a cache that nobody has found in years and the last 5 people (including experienced cachers) have DNFd and it's supposed to be an easy cache....Then it's time to post a 'Needs Archived' log.

very bad advise. i've seen some new cacher post a NA on a cache like the one you describe, hasn't been found in over a year and currently has more DNF's than finds, we went out and found it

this is a situation where you post a NA log

i find it amazing that a reviewer has to look after 3 countries, i have no doubt that there are plenty of people more than qualified to be one, it seems like its easier to become president than cache reviewer :lol:

yeap, lets just bury our head in the sand and if someone cares enough lets call them names

it seems like its easier to become president than cache reviewer :lol:

I dunno. 44 presidents since the birth of this nation. Not sure how many reviewers in the last 11 years, but gotta be way more than 44. I think it's probably easier to become a cache reviewer.

(Especially since you can't be President of the United States if your not a natural born citizen.)

it seems like its easier to become president than cache reviewer :lol:

I dunno. 44 presidents since the birth of this nation. Not sure how many reviewers in the last 11 years, but gotta be way more than 44. I think it's probably easier to become a cache reviewer.

(Especially since you can't be President of the United States if your not a natural born citizen.)

6 in Ontario alone but given that its a unpaid, thankless "job" i think the comparison is quite accurate :anibad:

Actually it has happened to me.

Ms. 'Cachemeister's Favorite Market

Four DNFs, and a cacher who never visited the site posted a SBA. The cache was in place just where it should have been.

I said 'unlikely'. Your cache was found 2 months before someone posted a NA. I would never suggest posting a NA in this circumstance. I'm talking about caches that haven't been found 6-9 months+ and are clearly missing.

BTW, if experienced cachers can't find it, it's not a level 1.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Sock puppet?

But I wouldn't use one to go posting NA logs on a bunch of caches. TPTB will likely figure it out and be not too happy about it. :ph34r:

GOF is a special case. VERY special, actually. Multiple personalities require (yea, demand) multiple socks. Right, GOF?

Yeah, no one like a Geocop or busybody, although I can see what drives some people to do it. There are "reviewers at large" (one very active in these forums), but I doubt their main job is to go on clean-up sweeps, or go looking in the listings for obviously missing caches that have no SBA's on them.

As far as becoming one yourself, yes, refer to the knowledge books article. And sorry to say, as someone else did, a person with 145 finds, no hides, who has never attended an event, is extremely unlikely to ever get a look at being appointed one. Get involved. Really involved. As long as that doesn't mean posting armchair SBA logs. :P

Reality is - someone should say something, the old saying - "have I become your enemy because I tell you the truth?" Some people do not deserve to place caches the way they take care of them...

Edited by Frank Broughton

Sock puppet?

GOF is a special case. VERY special, actually. Multiple personalities require (yea, demand) multiple socks. Right, GOF?

I've taken a poll and four out of five personalities agree.

Both needs maintenance and needs archived logs should only be used in certain circumstances:

A. One of the two

1. you have been to the cache and found evidence of a broken/destroyed container

2. You have previously found the cache and on return visit can verify it is missing based on absolute knowledge of how it was hidden

For a needs archived log, a third requirement is that the CO has not responded either to an email, or hasn't logged onto the site for at least 3 months months (my interpretation, not Groundspeak's).

I once posted a need maint log for a cache I had never found because it appeared a recent fire had affected ground zero. CO sent me a caustic note back complaining about newbies who don't know what they're doing. Later I did go find the cache, and ate crow because I had no idea where the cache was and had no business posting the log. Bottom line, the CO should be given a reasonable opportunity to take care of the situation before we post logs that demand the reviewer take action. I've only placed two NA, and both were after posting a log and emailing the CO to ask about the state of the cache beforehand. After several months of no activity, I did it to save further individuals from going to remote locations in vain.

Here is an example of misuse of the NA log:

http://coord.info/GC1T2EZ