what to do when people hold your bugs hostage?

schneiderfamily217

Just curious if I'm the only one who freaks out about this. How do you react when your bug or coin has been taken and not logged for months on end? I put my first one out, and of course it got collected by a noob to the geocaching scene and at first I was really excited. through email I was able to teach them how to log it correctly and gave them instructions for how to drop it off at their next geocache. Well all was good and well until it now appears they have quit caching.... and where is my bug at now? I have since bought other coins that strictly travel with me to collect miles by visiting caches, not living there. SO? LOL the question is how do you react to this and any tips for me a noob at placing travel bugs into the world.

you have tried emailing. You could wait a bit and then try again, but you have to realize this sadly will happen, and often you will not know who took it.

You could "grab" it out of their hands and then make a facsimile of it and send that out into the world. Personally I do not like facsimiles, but hey, its better than nothing. You still get the fun and mileage of seeing your coin move somewhere, even if its not the coin but a copy.

I generally ponder if for about three months after the last movement. Ponder it another month, then send a nice note.

From there I check on it when I think about it, probably every third or fourth time the topic comes up in the forums.

Then some where around 6-7 months of no movement I'll send another note.

Then wait until it has been a year, send out a replacement (if I remember to do so).

When if the original appears some time down the road I'll have one of them sent back to me.

Over all I'm just a fairly laid back person. And I tend to check my caching email in the evening after a glass of wine. :laughing:

One of the best replies which I have taken to heart, is to not send out any geocoin or TB that you are not willing to lose. I still get "bummed out" that they end up missing or a cacher seems to end the game with my TB. I have come to the conclusion that it's not the stealing/losing or that the cacher seems to have quit the game with my TB. Its just another part of the game I really enjoy. I put a high prority on getting the coins/TB going again, some others don't, maybe they can't(illness,death in the family) its part of the game. What to do? Play the game long enough and that TB/coin may just show up unexpectedly. If you find yourself upset or emailing the cacher multiple times you won't enjoy this part of the game. There should be a surgeons general message on these things "warning loss of this TB/coin may result in sleepless nights,anger,tears,insanity" you get the point :D. Best of luck with your TB I sincerely hope it will start moving again.

I generally ponder if for about three months after the last movement. Ponder it another month, then send a nice note.

From there I check on it when I think about it, probably every third or fourth time the topic comes up in the forums.

Then wait until it has been a year, send out a replacement (if I remember to do so).

When if the original appears some time down the road I'll have one of them sent back to me.

Good advice. I've got bugs that stay in circulation and I still only hear from them once every three months. Sometimes way longer.

One of the best replies which I have taken to heart, is to not send out any geocoin or TB that you are not willing to lose. I still get "bummed out" that they end up missing or a cacher seems to end the game with my TB. I have come to the conclusion that it's not the stealing/losing or that the cacher seems to have quit the game with my TB. Its just another part of the game I really enjoy. I put a high prority on getting the coins/TB going again, some others don't, maybe they can't(illness,death in the family) its part of the game. What to do? Play the game long enough and that TB/coin may just show up unexpectedly. If you find yourself upset or emailing the cacher multiple times you won't enjoy this part of the game. There should be a surgeons general message on these things "warning loss of this TB/coin may result in sleepless nights,anger,tears,insanity" you get the point :D. Best of luck with your TB I sincerely hope it will start moving again.

I don't know if this helps, but if you have a geocoin that is unique, expensive, or one you don't want to lose, http://www.shop.gxproxy.com/main.sc makes really nice quality looking proxy coins that look just like your original and even have the same code on it, so instead of getting a replacement after it's already lost, you could send the proxy out and keep the original one. This way there won't be such a thing as a coin you aren't willing to lose as you'll have every one of them safe at home while the proxy takes all the risks as it travels the world! Their proxies are not badly priced either.

It is not always noobs or cachers that "retire" with someones TB or GC. I met a cacher at a local event that had a board with 6-8 different jeeps attached that he had "collected". He also had an album of coins. Most were actually his, but some were not. He was a cacher with several thousand finds and still active. He handed out a sheet of codes so anyone could discover them. As I was logging these trackables, I started looking at their travels. Many he would place in a remote cache, and then go retrieve it a few days later. Or he would travel with them and log them into caches and back out. One was a jeep I had placed in a cache a year ago and he was the next to find it. I know he knows better, but other than mugging him and taking them and setting them free, what can I really do?

Mark

It is not always noobs or cachers that "retire" with someones TB or GC. I met a cacher at a local event that had a board with 6-8 different jeeps attached that he had "collected". He also had an album of coins. Most were actually his, but some were not. He was a cacher with several thousand finds and still active. He handed out a sheet of codes so anyone could discover them. As I was logging these trackables, I started looking at their travels. Many he would place in a remote cache, and then go retrieve it a few days later. Or he would travel with them and log them into caches and back out. One was a jeep I had placed in a cache a year ago and he was the next to find it. I know he knows better, but other than mugging him and taking them and setting them free, what can I really do?

Mark

My first thought is why are you logging TBs you didn't assist? My second is that unless I know what bugs he has, my only issue is the jeeps. You need someone with thick skin to call him out on those.

Good advice. I've got bugs that stay in circulation and I still only hear from them once every three months. Sometimes way longer.

I have only had a couple cases where people had a TB and didn't release it. I try to email politely reminding them and they generally send a response along the lines of "oops - we totally forgot to release it" or the like, and they almost always 'do' release the bug relatively quickly thereafter. Sometimes it takes more effort and I offer to reimburse them if they US Mail the bug back to me.

Sometimes the finder is a new cacher who either doesn't get out there much, or pretty much disappeared shortly after picking up my TB or coin. I had less luck then.

I had one case where somebody was obviously an active cacher who was simply refusing to release the bug in their possession. The way I got that moved was the change the name of the TB to "THIS BUG WAS STOLEN BY xxxxxx" so that it appeared that way on their profile page every time they logged in. Amazing how quickly the bug was released. :-)

Yes, I changed the name back promptly afterward.

I had one case where somebody was obviously an active cacher who was simply refusing to release the bug in their possession. The way I got that moved was the change the name of the TB to "THIS BUG WAS STOLEN BY xxxxxx" so that it appeared that way on their profile page every time they logged in. Amazing how quickly the bug was released. :-)

LMAO I love this :)

Wow I will have to remember this one if I ever have the need to use it.

Absolute genius!!! I love it. LOL

I'll be releasing my first TB soon, and I will keep this little gem tucked in my back pocket. :D

Personally I would just keep sending polite reminders rather than retaliating by marking a bug a STOLEN! I have seen this done when in fact the the cacher was in the hospital for an extended stay. oops.

Keep in mind if you really tic them off, all they have to do is drop the bug in a cache listing and the actual bug in the trash.

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #5. If you must email a TB holder to do anything other than thank them, DO NOT give an order, or be even the slightest bit negative. Sugar coat every word. Do not transfer your standards and expectations to another person. Unless you are related, you do not really KNOW their situation.

These kinds of stories get talked about at events. Things like I'm gonna (X-Y-Z) that bug if I ever run across it again get said over a few beers. Makes ya think.... ;)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Our first geocoin has gone missing. I will just wait and see what happens and if nothing at all oh well. I am making new bugs to let go. I know some will go missing but it kind of sucks that our first one was taken and never even logged that it was taken. It is all part of the game. I'm sure many will travel many miles and others will just die from day one. It can take time. If my daughter and I take one I only get her every other weekend so it could take up to a month to release but I don't see it going over that.

-WarNinjas

Our first geocoin has gone missing. I will just wait and see what happens and if nothing at all oh well. I am making new bugs to let go. I know some will go missing but it kind of sucks that our first one was taken and never even logged that it was taken. It is all part of the game. I'm sure many will travel many miles and others will just die from day one. It can take time. If my daughter and I take one I only get her every other weekend so it could take up to a month to release but I don't see it going over that.

-WarNinjas

Is that your FTF microcoin? I was just wondering if you've emailed the FTFer of the cache to see if they took it... Is it possible they may have picked it up, thinking it was a FTF prize and they haven't realised it's yours and it's been activated?

MrsB

I have a TB being held hostage also. I emailed this to them once- "Just checking on my TB" got a response and explanation and was assured it would be moved soon but to no avail. I marked it as missing finally. I know things come up and people get busy in life but if you know can't keep them moving say after two weeks after you pick it up don't take it.

I have a TB being held hostage also. I emailed this to them once- "Just checking on my TB" got a response and explanation and was assured it would be moved soon but to no avail. I marked it as missing finally. I know things come up and people get busy in life but if you know can't keep them moving say after two weeks after you pick it up don't take it.

I wish I could go caching every two weeks and know I'm going to find a cache that is a suitable place for a trackable.

I wish I could go caching every two weeks and know I'm going to find a cache that is a suitable place for a trackable.

I would wish to be independently wealthy - that wish would allow me to go caching more often and cover a lot of other things as well. :anibad:

I would wish to be independently wealthy - that wish would allow me to go caching more often and cover a lot of other things as well. :anibad:

Just wealthy enough for a sail boat and a team with equipment to meet me are relevent ports of call would be enough for me.

Absolute genius!!! I love it. LOL

I'll be releasing my first TB soon, and I will keep this little gem tucked in my back pocket. :D

I've emailed the still active captor several times about a TB that he picked up. I have now changed the title of it to your wonderful suggestion. I don't expect anything to come of it just as I never expect to see any of the coins or TBs stole from hotel locations but it is nice to see when I log on to my profile.

Just curious if I'm the only one who freaks out about this. How do you react when your bug or coin has been taken and not logged for months on end?

I know how you feel. <_<

I used to take my ex-boyfriend with me and he's commonly take the Travel Bugs and never put them into another cache. It was aggravating, because he'd just keep holding onto them, forget about them, lose them. I have a handful of Travel Bugs that I want to set out - but I'm scared somebody else is going to be like my ex and just keep-lose-forget about them! Agh!

If you really wanted to drop off a trackable and don't have time to go do new Geocaches, you could go to a cache you've been to previously that would be big enough and drop it off there. While I'm not sure of the etiquette of it, I know at least one geocacher in my area actually went back to a cache they'd done before in order to get a trackable item.

If you really wanted to drop off a trackable and don't have time to go do new Geocaches, you could go to a cache you've been to previously that would be big enough and drop it off there. While I'm not sure of the etiquette of it, I know at least one geocacher in my area actually went back to a cache they'd done before in order to get a trackable item.

Oh gee, what a great idea! I'm amazed that no one else ever thought of this.

I think it's great when my trackables get moved every couple weeks, but I'm still happy if they get moved every couple months. It's when someone has been holding one for 6 months or longer that I look to see if they're still caching, or maybe it's in Canada for the winter. I know people have other things going on in their lives--one of my trackables was held for over a year because the guy was in the hospital.

I'm just very reluctant to re-release a trackable if it's in the hands of someone who ever caches (or even visits the site) at all.