How much do cars help cachers?

Im a freshman in high school. No licence, no permit, no car. My mom wont let me walk more than two hours, and I have to bike with friends. Im surprised I have so many finds! Do all mature geocachers drive to all the caches? Dang I want that licence.

So how much do you take your car to find geocaches? All the time? Some of the time? None of the time?

I prefer to walk/bike to cache locations but that doesn't happen too often.

Depending on where you live and your planning skills you can do most of your caching by bike or walking.

PS. Mature is an odd word choice to describe those of us that are old enough to drive.

I assume that just about everyone is more mature than me....

We are very mature cachers. :P We have gone on several biking caches and do it whenever it is feasible.

On the other hand, in this town, there are way too many puzzle caches and we have exhausted many of the traditional caches. I would like to try puzzle caches but I am too dense (as a result of my maturity) to even figure out where to begin with them.

We are in an area with many surrounding towns and cities, and it is really fun to pick a nearby area and drive there to cache. We usually use the car for the majority of caching as a result. One exception was this past weekend where we put our bikes in the pickup and drove to a regional park about an hour from here. Saturday, however, we drove to a very spread out town not too far from here to cache by car. We found our first library cache and also the biggest cache ever there. But that gas is so expensive in California!

Weekdays are generally my "cache alone doing urban micros and nanos 'cause the wife ain't a fan" days. Those are usually public transportation / walking / biking for me.

Weekends, when we don't have 100 things scheduled, are our "find it together, get the truck out and let's go caching" days.

In the end, it all depends on what I'm searching for. I'll rarely go out of my way in my truck for a micro unless I'm out and about and want to grab it while it's en route. Otherwise, it all revolves around the subway and *shudder* buses.

I started geocaching in 8th grade, and my parents would drive me to every geocache. Last November when I turned 16, I finally got my license and a car- I know how you feel! I drive to most geocaches; there are only a handful of caches that could be walked to near my house. We bike sometimes, but we put the bikes ON the car, and then drive them to a park, or a trailhead. :anitongue:

I, like you, do not have a license yet. Luckily I have an ATV and an OHV license, and there are two canyons (Green Canyon and Hyde Park Canyon) as well as the Bonneville Shoreline Trail accessible via ATV trails from my house. If I want to do city caching, I go with my mom while she shops. Luckily, I will have my license in 1 1/2 months, because those canyons are starting to get filled with smileys!

Like most others, I suppose, drive as close as I can get. Thanks to my XTerra I can sometimes get closer than many others! :) Part of that is by choice, and part of that is by necessity. I had a pretty bad caching accident 3-1/2 years ago so walking any significant distance or difficult terrain is problematic.

Now lately, with record highs a record number of continuous days in the midst of a record drought; I'd park right on top of each and every cache if I could! Dang it's been hot around here!

I assume that just about everyone is more mature than me....

Judging from some of the forum spats, I'd say your assumption is flawed :ph34r:

If I do not drive, it would severely limit the number of caches I have access to. But there's only be one cache I've found that I actually pulled up to it, rolled down the window, stuck my hand out, and retrieved the cache :)

Im a freshman in high school. No licence, no permit, no car. My mom wont let me walk more than two hours, and I have to bike with friends. Im surprised I have so many finds! Do all mature geocachers drive to all the caches? Dang I want that licence.

So how much do you take your car to find geocaches? All the time? Some of the time? None of the time?

i'm mature and don't have a car.

only downside to not having a car is after you've cleaned your home area of caches is the amount of time you'll spend GETTING to caches. e.g. bike two hours to location, 5mins to find cache, two hours back.

time investment for that one smiley: 4 hours 5 minutes.

oh yeah and FORGET about beating the FTF hounds with cars.

upside: when you're at events and hear people griping about cost of gas, insurance and car payments just grin. every now and then someone will take me caching with them and i always make it a point to give them a good amount of money for gas[beats taking a taxi and reduces the cost of the trip for them too]

Edited by power69

I drive. I like to hike and bike but biking is not the safest thing to do in my area since there is no bike lane.

Growing up I was fortunate enough to live a quarter mile from a greenway access and maybe a mile from the towns biggest park so I was able to bike to those on a regular basis.

Keep doing what you can and one day you'll be able to drive and get more.