Do cache owners have the right to delete logs if they don't like the log comment

Zor

I've been caching for a little more than 3 years, and have hidden just under a total of 210 caches. I have a very large series of 100 caches near my hometown, as well as many other series of caches on trails and parks. I have spent a lot of time hiding as a means of giving back to the geocaching community for what it has given to me.

In my area, and perhaps others as well, newer cachers have taken it upon themselves to log every find they get with only TFTC or a smiley. That's it. No thank you's (real thank you's), no stories, not even so much as a copy and paste log (which would be fine if it had some content). Many of the folks from my region are becoming increasingly frustrated by the fact that these cachers are not sharing ANYTHING about their find in their log.

Now, I have been known to TFTC once in awhile, and on big cache runs, sure I do copy and paste logs, but I always try to include at least something meaningful like "Spent the day out with some friends caching and snagged this one. Thanks". Even that is far better than just a TFTC or :).

The question I have is whether or not, as a cache owner, I have the right to delete logs from my caches if I am not happy with the "short log". Yes, the finder found the cache and did sign the log, so I know that they are supposedly entitled to log the cache online. But as the owner of the cache, do I not get a say in whether or not those types of logs are acceptable?

I have RARELY ever deleted logs in the past, but with a series of a 100 caches, and getting 100 logs with nothing more than :), I find it to show complete and utter disrespect for the time and effort I took to hide all those caches. The least a person could do is log it with something more than 2 characters.

If I go out and delete these short logs, am I violating any of the terms on geocaching.com? Just looking for some feedback.

• Upvote 1

You may only delete if there is ample proof that it is a bogus log. Simply deleting a log because you don't like the way something is logged is not an appropriate excuse for deletion.

On another note, for a 100 cache series, you honestly expected personalized logs for each cache. A lot of people would not remember each cache esp these days of power caching.

As annoying as they are, those minimal logs are completely OK. Sure, you can delete them, then the finder will appeal to TPTB, the folks at the Lilly Pad will side with the finder, who will then either re-log with TFTC or something even less acceptable.

Is this the battle you really choose?

You may only delete if there is ample proof that it is a bogus log. Simply deleting a log because you don't like the way something is logged is not an appropriate excuse for deletion.

On another note, for a 100 cache series, you honestly expected personalized logs for each cache. A lot of people would not remember each cache esp these days of power caching.

For a series of 100 caches, I never expect personal messages for each cache. However, something like "Went out and did you series and had a great time with some fellow cachers. TFTC" and then copy and paste that log for the whole series is fine. I'm not talking about having to have EVERY log be some long story for each cache. I'm talking about at least having the courtesy to say something more than TFTC or :)

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

This contains what I believe to be the "rules" on logging and it doesn't actually say anything in there about not being able to delete someone's log because you don't like the content. All it says is that you should use your powers carefully.

I think if the cache listing is technically "owned" by the cache owner, then should I not be able to delete a log if I see it is not within what I want to have in my listing?

I'm just throwing it out there for feedback

For a series of 100 caches, I never expect personal messages for each cache. However, something like "Went out and did you series and had a great time with some fellow cachers. TFTC" and then copy and paste that log for the whole series is fine. I'm not talking about having to have EVERY log be some long story for each cache. I'm talking about at least having the courtesy to say something more than TFTC or :)

TFTC,:) or blank logs are all legitimate and are not subject to deletion. Logs are a record of the cachers experience, for their benefit. If you're hiding caches expecting people's praise, you will need to accept the reality that it won't happen on any regular basis if at all.

This contains what I believe to be the "rules" on logging and it doesn't actually say anything in there about not being able to delete someone's log because you don't like the content. All it says is that you should use your powers carefully.

I think if the cache listing is technically "owned" by the cache owner, then should I not be able to delete a log if I see it is not within what I want to have in my listing?

There are no "rules". You do own the cache. If its found legitimately then you cant delete the log. Im not preaching to you only saying doing so can get YOUR account locked in an extreme circumstance. It bothers me too but its not worth the adgeda

If that's the way you interpret that section, then you're not looking for "feedback" at all.

You're looking for validation for pushing people around and trying to force them to play the game according to your rules.

The cache finders whose logs you delete can appeal to Groundspeak to have their logs reinstated. Pretty sure that Groundspeak will side with the finders, and reinstate their logs.

There are no "rules". You do own the cache. If its found legitimately then you cant delete the log. Im not preaching to you only saying doing so can get YOUR account locked in an extreme circumstance. It bothers me too but its not worth the adgeda

If you don't believe this guy ^^^^^^ doesn't like short logs, look at one of his cache descriptions. :D

Yep, can't delete them. As much as some of us don't like this amazing new phenomenon that came out of nowhere, and hit us like a 2 x 4 between the eyes. :o

I honestly would rather have a TFTC than a "needs maintainance" because the cacher couldn't find it on multiple occasions.

I would bet lots of foldin' money that owners that routinely delete logs (for any reason) have a higher than average "muggle" rate on even their most well hidden and out of the way caches. :mellow:

Face it. There's only so much controlly crap (or really any kind of crap) people are willing to put up with before someone(s) does something petty and vindictive in return. <_<:rolleyes:

I say go ahead and delete away and reap what you sew. I've gotten the odd blank phone log and it didn't bother me a bit. I divest myself of expectations and of any feeling other than positive about my caches and the logs they receive. They are my gifts to the community. Far be it from me to presume how folks should appreciate them.

Have you ever gotten a gift and the giver had expectations of gratitude or tried to tell you what you could do with it? :unsure: I have and in every case I called them out on it and at least tried to give it back. This situation is no different IMO. :mellow:

Edited by Snoogans

The question I have is whether or not, as a cache owner, I have the right to delete logs from my caches if I am not happy with the "short log".

short answer is NO, you don't have that right

yes they are extremely annoying but a new breed is emerging, the "blank log" :lol:

I've been caching for a little more than 3 years, and have hidden just under a total of 210 caches. I have a very large series of 100 caches near my hometown, as well as many other series of caches on trails and parks. I have spent a lot of time hiding as a means of giving back to the geocaching community for what it has given to me.

In my area, and perhaps others as well, newer cachers have taken it upon themselves to log every find they get with only TFTC or a smiley. That's it. No thank you's (real thank you's), no stories, not even so much as a copy and paste log (which would be fine if it had some content). Many of the folks from my region are becoming increasingly frustrated by the fact that these cachers are not sharing ANYTHING about their find in their log.

Now, I have been known to TFTC once in awhile, and on big cache runs, sure I do copy and paste logs, but I always try to include at least something meaningful like "Spent the day out with some friends caching and snagged this one. Thanks". Even that is far better than just a TFTC or :).

The question I have is whether or not, as a cache owner, I have the right to delete logs from my caches if I am not happy with the "short log". Yes, the finder found the cache and did sign the log, so I know that they are supposedly entitled to log the cache online. But as the owner of the cache, do I not get a say in whether or not those types of logs are acceptable?

I have RARELY ever deleted logs in the past, but with a series of a 100 caches, and getting 100 logs with nothing more than :), I find it to show complete and utter disrespect for the time and effort I took to hide all those caches. The least a person could do is log it with something more than 2 characters.

By the way, in case you and the "Many of the folks from my region are becoming increasingly frustrated by the fact that these cachers are not sharing ANYTHING about their find in their log" haven't figured this out, it's happening because almost all these TFTC and/or smiley logs are thumbed out on smart phones from the cache site.

That being said, past threads on this topic indicate that it's unwise to vent your frustration from the "it costs us time and money, and we deserve better" angle, and it's better to look at it from the "these logs don't tell us anything, general dumbing down of the game and losing the sense of community of the game" angle. B)

I'm staying out of this one. :huh:

Me too, I think I've said my piece. I got one more piece though. I looked at the OP's hides. They sound outstanding across the board, I'd love to find some of them myself some day. I also noticed he has hosted many events. Just hope that some of these "Zero hide, log TFTC for every cache" people show up, and educate them kindly and gently about logging ettiquette. Snippy comments that will surely come up from other people about the established Mores of logging ettiquette after this post aside. :D

newer cachers have taken it upon themselves to log every find they get with only TFTC or a smiley. That's it. No thank you's (real thank you's), no stories, not even so much as a copy and paste log (which would be fine if it had some content). Many of the folks from my region are becoming increasingly frustrated by the fact that these cachers are not sharing ANYTHING about their find in their log.

Would you prefer 5-paragraph diatribes about how much the cachers hated your cache? Sometimes it's better when it's short & sweet.

When I started, I left lots of just "TFTC"-like logs, until I read that people want the extra text (I didn't know). At about cache 10, I began going back to those old logs and typing something. On your cache pages, invite people to leave an interesting log (there are various fun ways to do that). And no, don't delete Found It logs.

If a cache is very horrible, I'll often talk about the trip over to it, or the weather, or anything I can find that's good in the area. But I will not do just a "TFTC" nor "Copy/Paste" indentical logs as the OP sometimes does -- that's really annoying. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

Honestly, if "TFTC" bothers you that much it probably behooves you to stop creating more caches. I'm not being snarky, seriously - if that is the line between starting a battle w/ a large # of cachers and not, you probably would lead a less frustrating life with a different outlet for your creative side.

My 2 cents...

... But as the owner of the cache, do I not get a say in whether or not those types of logs are acceptable?
No. (Or yes, you do not get a say.)
If I go out and delete these short logs, am I violating any of the terms on geocaching.com?
Yes. Edited by sbell111

Tell you what, delete away. You own the cache, you have the power to delete. You might, however, upset the frog. And when the frog gets upset it is not a pretty sight.

Be sure to follow the Logging of All Physical Caches link. The short version is that once someone has signed the physical log, they can log the find online, and the cache owner is not allowed to delete it.

There are a couple exceptions. You can delete logs that violate the terms of use, and that includes logs that contain spoilers, solutions, etc. And if your cache is a challenge cache, then you can delete logs from people who haven't completed the challenge.

Not to try to answer the original question directly, but to add 2 cents, I'm a relatively new cacher, and I didn't realize until I read this that logging just "TFTC!" was unwelcome. So part of the problem, as mentioned above, is increased smart phone use, but part of the problem may just be education. I saw plenty of logs that were minimal, so I followed suit unless I had something specific to add.

Seeing this, I'll try to be a bit more verbose in my logs.

annoying, yes, but read into those logs the Real message - the cache is still in place and in good shape.

Not always true. One of my cache is near the start of the Rte66 series so most of logs are either a cut & paste or TFTC which have many times been logged after a "cache is missing" "coordinates are off" "log is full" etc. logs. :shocked: I wish every finder would write a "real" log but why stress out over those who don't. :blink:

Small side-question. Does the logger get any notification that their log was deleted?

Small side-answer: yes, a message is sent to your default email address.

Small side-answer #2: And the deletee will go bonkers every single time, even when they are totally wrong. Like logging a Earthcache without meeting any of the requirements for logging said earthcache. :D

I'm pretty sure the previous comments have already explained it. But nothing is stopping you from trying it yourself. Some of us learn best by making the mistakes ourselves.

Give it a try. See how Groundspeak responds.

Be sure to follow the Logging of All Physical Caches link. The short version is that once someone has signed the physical log, they can log the find online, and the cache owner is not allowed to delete it.

There are a couple exceptions. You can delete logs that violate the terms of use, and that includes logs that contain spoilers, solutions, etc. And if your cache is a challenge cache, then you can delete logs from people who haven't completed the challenge.

A cacher in our area placed a good mechanical, but often broken, cache. One finder logged the find and mentioned they'd seen this cache type mentioned before on GC.com. There was no spoiler information. The cache owner deleted the log entry without comment. The finder then relogged the identical entry again only to have it delete again. Instead of challenging the deletion, the cacher just logged a TFTC and went on with their life. Several people were "watching" the cache and the favorite count took a noticeable drop after that.

There are a couple of other CO's in our area that have a reputation for deleted legitimate found cache entries. Their antics come up often at events and the CO's are generally held in low regard within the local community.

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=204

If you have further requirements to log the find than signing the paper log, then you are instituting an "Additional Logging Requirement" (ALR). These have been banned, with a few exceptions, for sometime.

While you do OWN the cache, Groundspeak owns the listing service you're using to publicize the cache. It's perfectly legitimate for them to protect their other customers, the ones logging the finds, with their rules protecting log entries.

I would bet lots of foldin' money that owners that routinely delete logs (for any reason) have a higher than average "muggle" rate on even their most well hidden and out of the way caches. :mellow:

Face it. There's only so much controlly crap (or really any kind of crap) people are willing to put up with before someone(s) does something petty and vindictive in return. <_<:rolleyes:

I say go ahead and delete away and reap what you sew. I've gotten the odd blank phone log and it didn't bother me a bit. I divest myself of expectations and of any feeling other than positive about my caches and the logs they receive. They are my gifts to the community. Far be it from me to presume how folks should appreciate them.

Have you ever gotten a gift and the giver had expectations of gratitude or tried to tell you what you could do with it? :unsure: I have and in every case I called them out on it and at least tried to give it back. This situation is no different IMO. :mellow:

I couldn't have said it any better, and I've tried.

(I guess having some hides really does help) ;)

I couldn't have said it any better, and I've tried.

(I guess having some hides really does help) ;)

Piss off someone (or multiple someones) who knows where your cache is... Umm... I wouldn't make that choice! :)

Well as I expected, I got some good answers, good feedback, and a couple folks who are clueless about what I am talking about. Thanks to everyone, sincerely.

Interestingly enough, Keelmann And Cici made an interesting point about being a newbie and just not knowing any better. The logs that came in that got me to post this thread actually came from a newbie cacher who I ultimately sent an email to, welcoming them to the game, giving them some useful links for caching sites in our area, and also gave them a heads up on the shortlog hate which is prominent in our area.

This area has a very active caching community and it's unfortunate that yes, the mobile phone usage has increased and thusly short logs are becoming more common. I find it incredibly disrespectful to just TFTC for a cache, but most of you are right in that there really isn't much I can do about it.

If I thought that deleting someone's logs would actually change the situation, I might consider it. But the reality is that if I did it for one, I'd have to be doing it all the time. I suppose it really isn't worth it because in the end, at least they did go out and find the cache right? It just "bugs" me that I'll get 20+ logs from part of a series of caches and all of the logs are nothing but "TFTC". Very unfortunate. I can at least take a bit of solace in knowing that I do get some pretty lengthy logs on other caches. Good with the bad right?

Oh, and thank you for the kind words on my caches Mr.Yuck! Much appreciated.

Good with the bad right?

Or the good with the Eh. To me no log is bad. At least you know your cache is still there. A great many cachers don't log at all and there's not a great deal wrong with that either except that it doesn't help me with feedback on my cache.

I didn't look at your caches, but I'll take Mr. Yuck's feedback at face value.

Having pride in your caches is not wrong. It's a mistake to expect others to understand/appreciate your effort as much as you do. It's a common theme (from my perspective) among hiders that go the extra mile on their hides. Just let that go and you'll have more fun. Feel sorry for the folks that don't appreciate the journey as much as we do.

I'm staying out of this one. :huh:

I probably should too. However I want TPTB to know that I too am disappointed that the mobile apps allow caches to be logged as found without any text - not even a TFTC. The "official" sanctioning of short or blank logs has turned online logging from primarily a vehicle for cachers to share their experience and to thank the owner for hiding caches, to one of keeping "score". Sure logging the find marks the cache as found so the app will not display it when you are looking for other caches to find in the ares, but I still get the feeling that someone who logs a found log with no text is just doing the minimum to get their smiley point. I suggest that the find count now be based on the number of find logs that contain a least one sentence; "Logged from my iphone" would be sufficient. A blank find log or TFTC would mark the cache as found but would not be counted in your statistics. <_<

Thinking about it, I'd bet this wouldn't stop blank logs. Blank logs are probably due to people who just don't have any idea what to put in a log. This is similar to the fact that most people only write their name in the physical log any more. Since the online log shows your name, date, and the fact that you found the cache, what more has to be said? My guess is that a certain percentage of people have problems expressing anything more than this when they find a cache. I suppose that we could have button to click that say "Liked", "Did not like", or "Indifferent", to help the Facebook/iPhone generation who have trouble expressing their thoughts without the prompts. I guess I'll just have to accept that some logs will be blank and others may say little more than TFTC.

If what you want is people to give you great feedback on your caches, then I suggest placing caches that will get you great feedback.

I can't imagine giving detailed creative feedback on a series of 100 caches.

Try just placing one really great cache. You will get great logs.

I've got one cache that has 5 favorite points (which isn't a ton, but it says people like it) and I don't get short logs on it. (Once I did, and I knew that person didn't actually find it.)

People WILL write about memorable caches.

If what people write in the logs is so important to you, then make some caches worth writing something about.

(check out some of the logs on some of the adventure caches out there and you'll see what I mean, or even some really good history caches or great containers, really creative hides etc.)

Not to try to answer the original question directly, but to add 2 cents, I'm a relatively new cacher, and I didn't realize until I read this that logging just "TFTC!" was unwelcome. So part of the problem, as mentioned above, is increased smart phone use, but part of the problem may just be education. I saw plenty of logs that were minimal, so I followed suit unless I had something specific to add.

Seeing this, I'll try to be a bit more verbose in my logs.

I suspect in some cases this may be the main problem. There are those who for what ever reasons do not want to log more then the TNLN. But in many cases, it seems a lot of these people are new to the game.

Not everyone reads the forums and most newbies get their information on what is OK from other logs.

Just a random thought, if this really bothers you, try educating them. A short note, cut and pasted onto your cache pages might help. Not an ALR, but something to let them know it would be more acceptable to write a short note.

Hide a lot of caches and each individual cache will become less special. Less special cache = more short/empty logs.

This is similar to the fact that most people only write their name in the physical log any more.

No cache is getting more than my signature in the log book unless it meets the following criteria:

#1 Time. I merely mention it as a factor. If I have time to cache, I generally have time to spare...

#2 Heat & Humidity. I hate them both. Better to keep moving. Lack of both and I might stick around to write.

#3 Biting & Stinging Insects & Poisonous Plants: Any of those present and I won't take the time.

#4 Inclement weather: No thanks.

#5 Relative coolness of the cache and hospitality of the location: If its a nice cache or location or both and with #1-#4 a non-factors I'll write more. If the cache is secluded and provides a convenient place to sit and relax, I might write a page or two. :)

This is similar to the fact that most people only write their name in the physical log any more.

Actually I've heard people get upset when more is written in the physical log because then the log book fills faster and then they have to do more maintenance.

I've seen a few large logbooks with a lot of space in the woods, and I try to write more on those.

The logs that came in that got me to post this thread actually came from a newbie cacher who I ultimately sent an email to, welcoming them to the game, giving them some useful links for caching sites in our area, and also gave them a heads up on the shortlog hate which is prominent in our area.

I think that's a great approach. If I got a message like that, as long as it was polite, I'd be grateful for the welcome, and for the info. Now you may still get people who will always leave blank or short logs, but I think if you work to change it for people (like me) who didn't know any better, you'll likely change it significantly for the better.

Hide a lot of caches and each individual cache will become less special. Less special cache = more short/empty logs

Very true. I lean toward placing unique caches and I've only received one TFTC. One of the last logs I got, the finder had to finish the log by posting a note because they ran into the system limit on the "Found" entry.

When I started out I posted several TFTC log entries. I've been toying with the idea of editing those old entries and writing something without acronyms.

I find it incredibly disrespectful to just TFTC

If a newbie does it, no disrespect was intended. They are figuring out what to write. Perhaps they read somewhere that TFTC means "Thanks for the cache," and that's a nice thing to say.

Assume they just did not know any better, but they had good intentions.

It just "bugs" me that I'll get 20+ logs from part of a series of caches and all of the logs are nothing but "TFTC". Very unfortunate. I can at least take a bit of solace in knowing that I do get some pretty lengthy logs on other caches.

I agree. It's the finders that leave sincere messages that tell you something about their experience that make up for the TFTCs, "."s and blank logs.