Rude log

This is the newest found log on one of my geocaches:

This was a stupid hide. Man, get creative!

Some things just make me giggle. A geocacher with 17 finds and 2 failed hides.

Not everybody's taste is the same. At the very least it would have been nice for him to hint what he thought was stupid. You have 1/3 of the finders claiming a favorite on this hide. Just ignore this guy's log and continue to place good hides which others might enjoy.

I don't see the point in YOU being rude. A few of my friends came to geocaching FOR the creative hides, anything that isn't in the god-tier of creative they hate. That means ammo boxes suck, lock and locks are stupid, nano's are lame LPC's and Guard-rails are completely out the question. How do you know this guy didn't come into geocaching just for every cache is be a fake nail, or a false brick in a wall. If that's what he expected geocaching to be, and he's finding your ammo boxes, then maybe he is dissapointed. Maybe you should be nice and ask him why he thinks that instead of attacking him behind his back on the forums.

Thank him for taking the time to give you some feedback.

Kill them with kindness.........

That's exactly what I did. My response:

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy my geocache. Feel free to use the rating tool on the cache page. You may find some of my other hides more enjoyable. I try to present a variety of cache types and containers. I welcome any suggestions on how to improve the geoccahing experience for you.

Thanks,

William (TerraViators)

Did you look at the two hides that HE had? Oh man.....I am glad he doesn't live by me so I don't have to deal with his caches....what a mess.

Another log from this rude cacher:

Same container as the last two. Come on guys get creative!!

This from a cacher that has placed two TERRIBLE caches that are both archived.

Edited by KBfamily

Did you look at the two hides that HE had? Oh man.....I am glad he doesn't live by me so I don't have to deal with his caches....what a mess.

In all fairness, one is just disabled :laughing:

He'll be gone in a month.

In all fairness, one is just disabled :laughing:

He'll be gone in a month.

Oops....thanks for helping me out.....

I don't see the point in YOU being rude. A few of my friends came to geocaching FOR the creative hides, anything that isn't in the god-tier of creative they hate. That means ammo boxes suck, lock and locks are stupid, nano's are lame LPC's and Guard-rails are completely out the question. How do you know this guy didn't come into geocaching just for every cache is be a fake nail, or a false brick in a wall. If that's what he expected geocaching to be, and he's finding your ammo boxes, then maybe he is dissapointed. Maybe you should be nice and ask him why he thinks that instead of attacking him behind his back on the forums.

I may be wrong, but reading the cache page this does not sound like just an ammo box. It sounds like a creative hide. Seems like almost everyone who has found this liked it.

I may be wrong, but reading the cache page this does not sound like just an ammo box. It sounds like a creative hide. Seems like almost everyone who has found this liked it.

If it was truly creative, maybe he was being sarcastic?

Haha wow... I went and checked out those "2 failed hides"... Had a good laugh!

We all know that this cacher is probably just a kid (or a drug dealer, based on one of the logs on one of his/her caches). I wouldn't take the rude log too personally. You gave the best response. I applaud you. :)

CG, tell your "friends" to stick to difficulty "5" caches and stop their :cry:

Maybe it's an attempt at payback for you posting a "Needs Archived" on his cache?

This wasn't this cachers first rude log....

CG, tell your "friends" to stick to difficulty "5" caches and stop their :cry:

I hope by putting friends in parenthesis you aren't implying that I am the one that likes the creative hides. I personally do not, I perfer ammo boxes anyday to them. I really do have two friends (Brothers) that got hooked on geocaching because the first cache I showed them was a fake reflector, and the second a fake screw. They kind of expect every cache to be creative and they keep asking me for more suggestions because they hate going out just to find what they consider "lame" ones. I swear I am telling the truth.

Edited by Coldgears

Your cache had 8 favorites and most people who found it were saying creative comments about it, I think this guy either didn't find it or he just doesn't know the meaning of creativity in geocaching. :sad:

Your cache had 8 favorites and most people who found it were saying creative comments about it, I think this guy either didn't find it or he just doesn't know the meaning of creativity in geocaching. :sad:

Funny, you should mention that. I just received a photo of the log from a caching friend who lives near the cache. The signature is nowhere on the log. I'm deleting the found log.

Haha wow... I went and checked out those "2 failed hides"... Had a good laugh!

We all know that this cacher is probably just a kid (or a drug dealer, based on one of the logs on one of his/her caches). I wouldn't take the rude log too personally. You gave the best response. I applaud you. :)

I'd love to see someone plot all the coordinates he logged for that top cache.... the one that should've been named "Zig-Zag" instead.

My email response to the cacher:

Hi,

A caching friend of mine who lives near my 'Alamogul Fished This Cache' hide checked the log. Apparently, you mistakenly forgot to sign the physical log. It happens. Unfortunately, I'm bound by geocaching ethics to remove any e-logs that are not backed with a physical signature. I'll wait a couple of days to give you the chance to return to the cache or contact me if you need additional help. Thanks for finding my cache.

TerraViators

Hi,

A caching friend of mine who lives near my 'Alamogul Fished This Cache' hide checked the log. Apparently, you mistakenly forgot to sign the physical log. It happens. Unfortunately, I'm bound by geocaching ethics to remove any e-logs that are not backed with a physical signature. I'll wait a couple of days to give you the chance to return to the cache or contact me if you need additional help. Thanks for finding my cache.

TerraViators

How about E-mailing him before deleting it. I sign a little less then 50% of the caches I found, and i'd be more then a little POed if someone did this.

Edit: Edited out the P word, I have to use good judgement

Edited by Coldgears

Hi,

TerraViators

How about E-mailing him before deleting it. I sign a little less then 50% of the caches I found, and i'd be more then a little POed if someone did this.

I remember the discussion. I still say if you don't sign the log you are taking your chances. While it ain't international law it is long standing geocaching etiquette that the logs should be signed. It is the whole point of having the darn things in the cache to begin with. If a CO allows you to log online without a signature then lucky you. If the CO chooses to delete it that's his right and the offending cacher ain't got a thing to kick about.

Hi,

TerraViators

How about E-mailing him before deleting it.

Uh.... Coldgears... that is an email. :lol:

If I'm reading this right, ColdGears was suggesting sending the E-mail before deleting the log. Personally, I don't think it would make that big a difference. Once a cache owner reaches a point where they feel "ethically" bound to delete any log that doesn't have a corresponding signature, the aforementioned online log is essentially doomed. The CO decided it had to go, and they feel they are justified in deleting it.

Hi,

TerraViators

I remember the discussion. I still say if you don't sign the log you are taking your chances. While it ain't international law it is long standing geocaching etiquette that the logs should be signed. It is the whole point of having the darn things in the cache to begin with. If a CO allows you to log online without a signature then lucky you. If the CO chooses to delete it that's his right and the offending cacher ain't got a thing to kick about.

I was absent for the discussion, but I agree. Pack a pen.

Hi,

TerraViators

Aha, but after that discussion I changed my ways, I now always bring a pen with me for micro's. My issue is that I don't bring pens with my on smalls, regulars, and larges. I assume their is a pen in their. Usually there is but sometimes there isn't. So I'll generally leave a mark with something nearby, in yesterday's case I used coal. Now if the CO deleted my log before asking me if the coal mark was mine, i'd be POed.

Hi,

TerraViators

Aha, but after that discussion I changed my ways, I now always bring a pen with me for micro's. My issue is that I don't bring pens with my on smalls, regulars, and larges. I assume their is a pen in their. Usually there is but sometimes there isn't. So I'll generally leave a mark with something nearby, in yesterday's case I used coal. Now if the CO deleted my log before asking me if the coal mark was mine, i'd be POed.

Be poed all you want.

Hi,

TerraViators

No matter where i cache i have my bag of caching supplies with or near me. At the very least i have a pen at all times.

Edited by mpilchfamily

Hi,

TerraViators

No matter where i cache i have my bag of caching supplies with or near me. At the very least i have a pen at all times.

Smart cacher.

Hi,

TerraViators

Be poed all you want.

I dunno. I have nothing agaisnt terrviaters but the issue is we are hearing one side of the story. I want to hear the other side, was the NA unwarented? Did he really sign it and find it? Did he honestly not think it was creative? Was it truly out of anger that he lied and didn't sign it? Too many variables to make a decision and many of you are siding with the topic creator. I'm done being arguementive, but I'm playing the devil's advocate because I want to know the whole story.

CG, I appreciate your role as Devil's advocate - it's my favorite advocate.

I don't even know if the cacher's rude log was a response to my NA log on his/er cache, but it was warrented. The coordinates are off and it has been almost two months.

The physical log was checked and there is no signature or mark made.

He may have found it uncreative.

I don't know if the rude log was in anger or if s/he actually forgot to sign the physical log.

I don't even know if the cacher's rude log was a response to my NA log on his/er cache, but it was warrented. The coordinates are off and it has been almost two months.

Was the issue corrected? I looked through your find logs for the past couple months, but didn't see anything that was disabled or archived due to bad coords. What cache was it?

Thank him for taking the time to give you some feedback.

Kill them with kindness.........

That's exactly what I did. My response:

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy my geocache. Feel free to use the rating tool on the cache page. You may find some of my other hides more enjoyable. I try to present a variety of cache types and containers. I welcome any suggestions on how to improve the geoccahing experience for you.

Thanks,

William (TerraViators)

Perfect answer. If I'm ever in your area I try some of your hides. :D

Was the issue corrected? I looked through your find logs for the past couple months, but didn't see anything that was disabled or archived due to bad coords. What cache was it?

You know for a cop you are a lousy investigator. :anitongue::laughing:

:lol:

CR... take a look at the "rude logger's" caches. The older one was archived following a NA log by TerraViators. The "rude logger" seems to have posted polite logs on other finds, but not on TV's, indicating that the RL's rude log was due to TV's NA log. Got it, now? :P

:lol:

CR... take a look at the "rude logger's" caches. The older one was archived following a NA log by TerraViators. The "rude logger" seems to have posted polite logs on other finds, but not on TV's, indicating that the RL's rude log was due to TV's NA log. Got it, now? :P

Sorry...you are NOT right..."rude logger" has posted a few rude comments....TerraViators was NOT the first cacher to receive snarky comments from the "rude logger". Rude Logger only has 17 finds....go through the logs and look for yourself.

Hi,

TerraViators

To be fare you should do a complete audit of the signatures and not just single out this one cacher I mean you are doing this because you are bound by geocaching ethics.

You're correct. I did check every signature against the e-logs.