Is it ok to host a Geocaching event and not attend?

As the host, you're hosting it, not attending it. You get credit for the "hide" rather than the "find."

If you mean you don't even show up to host the event, then I'll just say that stuff happens. We DNFed an event years ago (when it was an option) because we had car trouble on the way there. We had been to the site a couple of weeks prior to find a location and get the coordinates for the host who lived out of state. In a way, we were the hosts and we didn't go to the event.

Things can come up that might prevent a host from attending, but to submit an event that you know you can't attend would be a little weird.

This is what I was thinking. I guess I didn't 'splain it very goodish. If you are hosting you should plan on attending. That isn't to say that things can't come up to prevent it.

Yes.

It might also be appropriate to ask someone else to step in and run it if you can't be there, an understudy as it were.

I did a group hike once, where I had something come up and asked them to go without me and they did quite readily.

As the host, you're hosting it, not attending it. You get credit for the "hide" rather than the "find."

The only exception I can think of for this great piece of advice is, if you actually show up for the event you host.

Then, and only then, should you log an "Attended". (Since you did, after all, attend) :P

I'm going to say not only does "stuff" happen that might prevent you from attending, but the impact of you missing your own event will also depend on the type of event.

A group hike? They'd probably be fine. On the other hand, if I missed my annual breakfast event I'd feel more badly about it because the restaurant counts on knowing I am there as the main point of contact for any issues which might arise. For example, as the organizer I feel obligated to cover any shortfall on the tab should someone skip out without paying. Hasn't happened yet, but don't let the locals hear about it... :ph34r:

Only if you have a 'excuse note' from your Mom.

I didn't know you were bilingual, Mrs B.

:P:D

Yup. Over in OT we have been working very hard to teach her American. She has been coming along nicely. Unfortunately every once in a while a Canadian or Aussie chimes in and screws up everything.

You can bet your sweet patootie we have!!

Yes.

It might also be appropriate to ask someone else to step in and run it if you can't be there, an understudy as it were.

I did a group hike once, where I had something come up and asked them to go without me and they did quite readily.

...and they haven't been seen or heard from since.

I'm going to say not only does "stuff" happen that might prevent you from attending, but the impact of you missing your own event will also depend on the type of event.

I had a death inthe family 2 days before my annual summer cook-out. There was no way I was going to foist everything on to someone else in that short a time, so I merely delayed the event.

But I do know of cases where the host was unable to attend the event for various reasons.

If you mean you don't even show up to host the event, then I'll just say that stuff happens. We DNFed an event years ago (when it was an option) because we had car trouble on the way there. We had been to the site a couple of weeks prior to find a location and get the coordinates for the host who lived out of state. In a way, we were the hosts and we didn't go to the event.

I remember missing you at that event. Gosh that seems ages ago. Both of our families have doubled since then.... :laughing:

I dnf'd my own semi-regular A.'O.M. Monday night event when some 8!+c# on her cellphone t-boned me on the way to the event.

94602316-b275-4950-9994-7ef05d8204ac.jpg

But if the premis of this thread is to intend to not go to your own posted event just because there is no rule against it. That's lame. Really lame.

Now, I was set to host an event in San Diego, but when the trip was cancelled with several people planning to attend, I adopted it out and sent the host a package of my coins to hand out to the attendees.

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

Exactly.

It may come as a surprise, :laughing: but some of the best discussions I've been in here were because I was bored and decided to push the comfort zone back a bit. :anibad::anitongue:

My Tree of Angst thread comes to mind..... :)

Actually, I think the intent of the thread was to stir the pot. I notice that the OP has not participated since his original post.

Look who's talking about the pot!!

afe8c4e8-ae20-45f6-b61a-9ae6feee05fd.jpg<--- GOF's Avatar du Jour

Perhaps you should suggest some more potty avatars, litter box boy.

Linking to the Off-Topic forum, huh? To you non-PM's, that in itself is a great reason to become a Premium member. We have discussions on potties and litter boxes that you can't currently read.

Actually, I think the intent of the thread was to stir the pot. I notice that the OP has not participated since his original post.

Linking to the Off-Topic forum, huh? To you non-PM's, that in itself is a great reason to become a Premium member. We have discussions on potties and litter boxes that you can't currently read.

Remind me not to hire you two when I need some PR work done. <_<

Anyway... Pinehurst... Why do you ask this rather strange question? Are you very shy? Perhaps you want to hold an event but would rather not appear in public yourself?

I think cachers would be happy to meet you. :)

MrsB

Or maybe he attended an event where the person holding the event didn't show up, and he wants to post a Needs Maintenance log for the event.

Or maybe he thinks that it's a bug that the website let's you do that.

Edited by dfx

There are two people who replied to this thread that are not listed as "premium members". One of those is a "moderator" and the other is a "charter member".

There are two people who replied to this thread that are not listed as "premium members". One of those is a "moderator" and the other is a "charter member".

Not to put too fine a point on that:

Member name Posts

GOF and Bacall 7

knowschad 5

The Blorenges 3

briansnat 2

Mr.Yuck 2

Snoogans 2

Packanack 1

Team GPSaxophone 1

StarBrand 1

Clan Riffster 1

I! 1

BBWolf+3Pigs 1

DanOCan 1

Pinehurst 1

dfx 1

Remind me not to hire you two when I need some PR work done. <_<

Anyway... Pinehurst... Why do you ask this rather strange question? Are you very shy? Perhaps you want to hold an event but would rather not appear in public yourself?

I think cachers would be happy to meet you. :)

MrsB

Well, let's see, then...

We also have the Shortest Thread Ever n the world. And bacon... lots of bacon. And whirled peas.

Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

Why?

I just forgot I ever posted it.

plankton-2.jpg?format=jpeg&matteColor=white

Forgot?

Uh Oh, Plankton may be controlling your brain again.

Oh no, what should I do?

Report it. Plankton is a bug. (well... humor me, OK?)

Why?

Forgot?

Oh no, what should I do?

Put a Krabby Patty on the table and describe it to him He can't resist them and will leave your brain to get it.

It diden't work.

Why?

Forgot?

Oh no, what should I do?

Put a Krabby Patty on the table and describe it to him He can't resist them and will leave your brain to get it.

It diden't work.

Neither did your link to where you reported the bug.

Why?

Forgot?

Oh no, what should I do?

It diden't work.

Neither did your link to where you reported the bug.

It must have gotten deleated.