How far have you gone to find a cache....

KBfamily

Today, we rode the quads for quite a ways into the desert, climbed a hill, avoided rattlesnake holes, found the cache, had nothing to write with...back down the hill, back on the quads, back through the desert, got to the car and did the whole thing over again to make the grab....how far have you gone to find a cache only to discover you have nothing to sign the log with.....?

Mine was only .5 miles... but...I did it twice.. or is it three times?? here is the story = Georgia has a state park challenge and you have to stamp a passport.. Left in in the geo mobile.. walked back to get pass port.... left keys at the cache... walked back to cache, got keys, (laying on the ground by the cache).. walked back to geo mobile. Got passport and back to the cache...oh and while I was gone. The youngest of Teamhayes3 found a CITO coin laying on the ground about 15 feet from the cache. My trip back and forth paid off a little. :laughing:

Not particularly far, but there was this one cache close to where I live. I'd been to it several times trying to find it, eventually resorting to getting a hint from the cache owner.

The day we finally found it was our wedding day. Yes, we sneaked out of our own wedding party to go caching. I walked through mud in heels and a floor-length dress. My other half retrieved the cache and held it aloft triumphantly, we were ecstatic! Alas - in amongst making sure I had packed a sewing kit, spare stockings and all the other fun stuff a bride may need on her wedding day, I totally forgot to bring a pen. Could have cried.

We went back after our honeymoon with pen in hand to log our find but it had been muggled...

Just recently I kayaked a little over 4 miles with a small portage over a rocky dam. Then bushwacked 1000 feet to the cache. Only then did I discover I didn't have anything to write with. I improvised a solution and left my mark on the log because I wasn't about to do all that again.

I recently trudged through knee deep snow to place a geocoin retrieved from one cache, into another. After finally getting back to the car on that frigid morning I realized I had neglected to jot down the coin number so off I went again. Later that evening, while logging the events of the day, a nice, red sentence appeared stating that the coin number I entered was only the tracking number not the actual coin number. DUH! Being fairly new at this I contacted the coin owner who was nice enough to give me the proper number. A tough lesson learned. Now I realize that maybe just leaving the coin and not mentioning anything at all may have been the easiest thing to do but I don't feel good about doing that.

I generally don't carry a pen or pencil while caching because most caches around here have them inside. In the few instances where I found I needed something to write with, rather than going back to my car I used things to sign in like a stick dipped in mud, the ashes from a cigar, a stick wrapped with a leaf or some grass and a soft rock like shale.

Going to see Gogol Bordello in Memphis this past Friday, and as it happened there was an accident on the main highway so we decided to hop onto Hwy 70 and do the Hwy 70 series. Well the traffic was slow but not slow enough for me to get out of the car while we were on the road, and I spent the next hour fuming and checking my iPhone every so often. Finally the traffic stopped, I looked over to the girl and said "I'm going for it." Against her protests and better judgement I hauled butt out of the car to the cache 300 feet away. I made it there, grabbed it before nay muggles noticedm then noticed I had no pen. Run back to the car, sign log, relax. Cars start moving, hop out of car, run to geocache, place it, turn around to look for car. The girl is driving about 25 mph, and just as she is about to pass me she pops open the door. I jump in Indiana Jones style and slam the door before I get hit by someone driving on the side of the road trying to bypass the traffic. EXTREME GEOCACHING! We both crack up laughing snd decide that it is best to only get 1 of the 173 remaining caches along the route. Fun times. I wasn't hurt by the way, just jamming on adrenaline.

About 1,400 Kms (900 miles)from home at cache GCHANK.

After a multi day non geocaching camping trip we had a spare day and took a detour to revisit this cache we had previously DNF`d. After about an hour of off road driving we reached the area and this time quickly found the cache - on our previous visit we spent over an hour searching - only to find thaht the pen in the cache was not working and we did not have a pen or pencil with us in the car, as this was an extra to our planned trip we did not bring our cache repair kit with us, so we improvised and took a photo of the container and posted that as our log entry :unsure:

The cache is at least 1 1/2 hours off road drive each way from the nearest petrol station/town so buying a pencil and returning was not an option.

We camped the night close to the cache and drove home the next day - a 14 hour drive. So needless to say we will not be revisiting just to sign a logbook.

I've had to walk back and forth too many times to count, the forgetfull person i can be. So i've started carrying my camera, i'll take a pic of the cache with my GPSr and send it to the owner as proof... I'll log the find after they approve it... Haven't had any issues yet... :)

Ummm....you can remember the camera but not the pencil? You are very silly.... :)

How about velcroing a pencil to the camera?

The longest I had to back track was about 4 1/2 miles. I found a cache, a FTF at that, traded put the cache back and headed off for the next one about 6 miles away when I realized I FORGOT to sign the log!!!? :blink: Had to go back right away as I wanted the FTF. As it turned out the cache was found latter that day.