Article about ET Highway PT closure

As for those most impacted by the ET trail, the locals approved of the cache as it brought tourist dollars to an economically depressed area.

Newsflash: the whole country is an economically depressed area.

Relatively speaking, there's a whale of difference between Roswell & (pick a city) Houston. Even in this economy.

In the last census, the per capita income in Roswell was $14,589 which was about a 1/3rd less than the national average.

I thought the ET trail was in Nevada (Rachel), not New Mexico (Roswell).

John

Yeah, that is why I sprung a leak.

You raise some interesting points. Yes power trails should be banned because it is bad for the sport. Urban caches should be banned because it is a cause of bomb scars and is bad for the sport. Caches in the woods should be banned because it leads to wanton destruction of the plant life and brings focus on caching. We won't even start on the terror it causes the wildlife. Caches in the deserts should be banned because the few bad apples actually drive their cars or worse go roaring around in their ATVs and brings focus on caching. Actually now that I think about it there is not one place where a cache can be hidden that does not bring scrutiny to geocaching. Perhaps the best thing at this point to avoid any more harm to the activity is declare a moratorium on any new hides and aggressively archive the less desirable hides and any that have the slightest maintenance issues. As the number of caches dwindle the impact and scrutiny will dwindle as will the number of cachers. In a couple years the activity will again be unnoticed and for the few remaining participants a fun activity again.

Completely ignoring scale, impact, and the overall footprint of the affected area, you might have a point. You're talking about the entire ET trial like it's a single entity instead of 1000 caches that took a team of reviewers to get it archived. You're talking about 1000 caches spread across miles of roadway like it's the handful of caches that get found and destroyed by the bomb squad every now and then.

When was the last time 1000 caches were archived in a 24 hour period that were all lsited by the same entity? When was the last time 500 were archived? Oh, wait, that would have been the other power trail with permission issues.

The "terror it causes the wildlife". Indeed. Please, tell me of this "terror" you speak of. :rolleyes:

As for those most impacted by the ET trail, the locals approved of the cache as it brought tourist dollars to an economically depressed area.

Relatively speaking, there's a whale of difference between Roswell & (pick a city) Houston. Even in this economy.

In the last census, the per capita income in Roswell was $14,589 which was about a 1/3rd less than the national average.

Just a hunch - but the cost of a house in Rachel is likely a little lot less than the average house in Houston. As well as a few other things. Cost of living is as important as income.

Less than you think, best figures I could find on short notice were (for a more recent year than 2000):

Average per capita income:

Rachel: $16,857

National: $21,587

Income as a percentage of national: 78%

Cost of living of Rachel is 91% of the national average.

I was one of the last groups out there on the E.T. Highway run and we stopped at the Little Ale'inn to get a bite to eat. I really felt bad for them. This whole time they thought everything was getting worked out and we had to tell them that there was a group coming by the next day pulling all of the caches. While we was waiting for our lunch, they was telling us that they ordered 100 pathtags to sell to cachers who was coming in. They hadn't gotten the order yet so they lost out on selling them for the Highway hunters. They was having such a great flow in buisness that they haven't had in along time. I hope cachers still go out for the Alien head caches since it starts next to the town.

You didn't happen to have a run in with a snow plow?

Well there was no more snow left when my New York City cacher and myself went so snowplows was no problems. We did have a talk with a county cop and a military cop, which both where great people and was wondering why we was pulling on and off the road every tenth of a mile. They just said becareful and enjoy ourselves.

100 dollars in gas divided by 1021 caches = 10 cents a caches. Pretty good investment. I spent less than 100 dollars in gas so it was even a better investment that I will do again and again.

The moment I start gauging my caching experiance on the "investment" I make in a tank of gas (using the "cents a caches" ratio) is the moment that I archive my caches and throw my GPRr into the lake.

Well at 0.3014 caches/day, you really don't have to worry about wasting gas now do you. Don't throw that GPS in the lake yet, there is no need. Just keep wiping the dust off of it.

100 dollars in gas divided by 1021 caches = 10 cents a caches. Pretty good investment. I spent less than 100 dollars in gas so it was even a better investment that I will do again and again.

The moment I start gauging my caching experiance on the "investment" I make in a tank of gas (using the "cents a caches" ratio) is the moment that I archive my caches and throw my GPRr into the lake.

Well at 0.3014 caches/day, you really don't have to worry about wasting gas now do you. Don't throw that GPS in the lake yet, there is no need. Just keep wiping the dust off of it.

Your point is valid, but in fairness to Castle Mischief, it appears he prefers caches that take some time to retrieve so his quantity is going to be lower. (And also require less gas.)

It's like an editorial and a regular article had a kid, and that kid obviously favors one parent over the other. So much for professional journalistic detachment.

Agreed. The article paints all cachers and caches with the same brush- the whiny, childish, over-entitled brush.

Just so I'm clear, in your opinion, which ones are the whiny, childish, self-entitled cachers? The ones that enjoyed finding the referenced caches or the ones that rail against them?

:blink: Huh? He said that the article paints them that way... not that they are whiny, childish, self-entitled cachers in his opinion. I thought you were the one that was always telling others that they need to read more carefully.

Not only did I read the article carefully, but I ran it through a word search and couldn't find 'whiny', 'childish', or 'self-entitled' anywhere. Therefore, I think it's only fair to ask him which geocachers he is describing in this manner.

It's like an editorial and a regular article had a kid, and that kid obviously favors one parent over the other. So much for professional journalistic detachment.

Agreed. The article paints all cachers and caches with the same brush- the whiny, childish, over-entitled brush.

Just so I'm clear, in your opinion, which ones are the whiny, childish, self-entitled cachers? The ones that enjoyed finding the referenced caches or the ones that rail against them?

:blink: Huh? He said that the article paints them that way... not that they are whiny, childish, self-entitled cachers in his opinion. I thought you were the one that was always telling others that they need to read more carefully.

Not only did I read the article carefully, but I ran it through a word search and couldn't find 'whiny', 'childish', or 'self-entitled' anywhere. Therefore, I think it's only fair to ask him which geocachers he is describing in this manner.

He wasn't describing any geocachers. He was describing the article.

Just a hunch - but the cost of a house in Rachel is likely a little lot less than the average house in Houston. As well as a few other things. Cost of living is as important as income.

'Cost of living' only gets you so far. After our bills are paid most of us still get around to wasting more money Given that most of us waste more money annually then the average person there earns.

He wasn't describing any geocachers. He was describing the article.

The article didn't paint any of us that way. It merely took the position that now that these caches have been archived, geocachers aren't spending money there. CM read the whininess into it.

7000 signatures in the first cache???? Is that really true? If so, then maybe my view of numbers caching as a relatively small part of the activity is all wrong. Maybe it has become all about the numbers. Wow.

The other 6300 or so signature were from aliens who signed the log in an alternate dimension. But the journalist was able to make contact for this article.

Someone PM me when this thread is ready for the pic of the snowplow train wreck.

7000 signatures in the first cache???? Is that really true? If so, then maybe my view of numbers caching as a relatively small part of the activity is all wrong. Maybe it has become all about the numbers. Wow.

The other 6300 or so signature were from aliens who signed the log in an alternate dimension. But the journalist was able to make contact for this article.

Someone PM me when this thread is ready for the pic of the snowplow train wreck.

MOST geocachers do not log ON-line.

The 7000 probably should have been 700 and there was typo along the way. There are cachers that don't log their finds online and there are teams of people (spouses often) that don't log seperately. But I bet the total visitors was MAYBE(?) 1200.

Snowplows can come anytime. This subject has been beat to death a long time ago.

Edited by Ecylram

Well, as long as we're resorting to caching statistics as a quantification of the worth of a cacher's opinion, your longest slump is a month longer than Castle Mischief's...

:omnomnom:

I don't see the correlation with quantity to value. If I found 5000 caches in two minutes and they were all film canisters that were placed .10 of a mile apart and had been shuffled around and re-dropped I would not consider that a "better" caching experiance than the last five caches that I found the last time I was caching.

Unless your primary impetus is just increasing your find count. If it is, more power to you, but it's not how I gauge my day out caching.

Nice. Something you can't really prove or disprove.

:blink:

Most do NOT? I suppose you have some data to back up that absurdity?

...and....it must be time for the always included....

"MOST geocachers like to do those Powertrails".

That's why there are only 1 or 2 finds on the lone hiking hides. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm getting off topic (that was my point)....

The article is well written, and quite succinctly gets the point across.

The point is that geocachers bring money into an area when they visit. :)

When we pass thru a tiny rarely travelled town, we make an attempt to buy something....even if we don't need anything. We believe this helps to keep the small shops in business....for the next visitors.

The article is well written, and quite succinctly gets the point across.

I don't know if MOST geocachers like to do Powertrails, there is no doubt that they are popular.

As for the writing, while I agree with the premise of the article I really didn't consider it very good writing. I should know, I've done my share of bad writing...much of it on these boards. laugh.gif

The 7000 probably should have been 700 and there was typo along the way. There are cachers that don't log their finds online and there are teams of people (spouses often) that don't log seperately. But I bet the total visitors was MAYBE(?) 1200.

Snowplows can come anytime. This subject has been beat to death a long time ago.

Well, if a snowplow shows up on the ET HWY in August, NDOT's got bigger problems than a bunch of geocaches.

The article is well written, and quite succinctly gets the point across..

Wow. Really? So, gobs of glaring inaccuracies, coupled with heaps of hyperbole is what you consider good reporting?

I knew there were some folks desperate to defend bad behavior, but I never thought you'd go that far.

Just because you support thousands of film cans strewn along lengths of highways is no reason to defend such crappy journalism.

...and....it must be time for the always included....

That's why there are only 1 or 2 finds on the lone hiking hides. :rolleyes:

Let us not confuse what people LIKE to do with what people are actually CAPABLE of doing.

Well, if a snowplow shows up on the ET HWY in August, NDOT's got bigger problems than a bunch of geocaches.

It's still impossible to have 700 physical signatures in the first cache when people admit to moving the caches along as well as doing throw downs. The first cache is long gone or down the trail somewhere.

Well, as long as we're resorting to caching statistics as a quantification of the worth of a cacher's opinion, your longest slump is a month longer than Castle Mischief's...

Sad time in my life then. I was grieving a death in my family so alot of my hobbies went to the way side for a bit. Thanks for bring it up.

Sad time in my life then. I was grieving a death in my family so alot of my hobbies went to the way side for a bit. Thanks for bring it up.

Sorry about your loss, but did have you any knowledge of Castle Mischief's personal life when you chose to bring up his stats?

Edited by knowschad

The moment I brought up gas to cache ratio on the E.T. Highway, it sure went south pretty quick from there. Did I miss something?

Probably.

I think your particular tangent of the thread went south when you chose to take a potshot at CM for his caches per day and suggested he may need to dust off his GPS. dry.gif

The moment I brought up gas to cache ratio on the E.T. Highway, it sure went south pretty quick from there. Did I miss something?

Probably.

I think your particular tangent of the thread went south when you chose to take a potshot at CM for his caches per day and suggested he may need to dust off his GPS. dry.gif

Oh I get it now. It's a click thing. If you don't know the secert hand shake your not part of the club. :ph34r: When you point out that you don't have to worry about gas cause you don't go out as often to look for them so you wouldn't have to toss the GPS in the lake. Then it's a bad thing. I got it now.

Probably.

Oh I get it now. It's a click thing. If you don't know the secert hand shake your not part of the club.

I think you mean "clique," "secret," and "you're." But apart from that, how on earth do you get cliques and secret handshakes out of Wrastro's comment?

Ah, but of course. Because I knew about that private personal detail in your life, and I obviously dug it up just to cause you pain.

Probably.

Oh I get it now. It's a click thing. If you don't know the secert hand shake your not part of the club.

So says the Mason...

Secret handshakes aside, if hypothetically someone's coming across asless than polite, yeah, that is often the point at which a threat starts to go south.

(edit: IBTL)

(edit 2: cleaning up my act, I should know better)

Edited by hzoi

Probably.

I think you mean "clique," "secret," and "you're." But apart from that, how on earth do you get cliques and secret handshakes out of Wrastro's comment?

I think that it's because of the way posters closed ranks against joranda and ignored CM's snark that prompted the reply that joranda is being attacked for. Edited by sbell111

Pretty off topic. I'll take IBTL for $1,000 Alex :)

I have refrained from posting to this thread as I feared that it would devolve in the ways I see it has.

However, I thought the OP raised an interesting point about press coverage of our sport/activity (depends on how you play it) that deserved a rational discussion. I am disappointed that the OP has not posted again since starting the topic. Sticking to the original premise, what does the OP think of the responses about this press coverage that have appeared in this thread?

Probably.

I think that it's because of the way posters closed ranks against joranda and ignored CM's snark that prompted the reply that joranda is being attacked for.

Perhaps my response, and the response of others, is colored by our previous interactions with Joranda and with Castle Mischief. Perhaps.

Or maybe we just agree with CM's idea that "caches per gallon" isn't a very good way to measure the satisfaction we get from this sport/activity. Joranda's response to this perfectly valid critique was to bring up CM's statistics. CM criticized an idea; Joranda responded with an ad hominem.

So I don't think it's surprising that several people jumped in to support CM.

Ah, but of course. Because I knew about that private personal detail in your life, and I obviously dug it up just to cause you pain.

Probably.

So says the Mason...

Secret handshakes aside, if hypothetically someone's coming across as a jerk less than polite, yeah, that is often the point at which a threat starts to go south.

Masonry is about more than secret handshakes. :ph34r:

Probably.

So says the Mason...

Secret handshakes aside, if hypothetically someone's coming across as a jerk less than polite, yeah, that is often the point at which a threat starts to go south.

What is wrong with being a bricklayer?

Probably.

I think that it's because of the way posters closed ranks against joranda and ignored CM's snark that prompted the reply that joranda is being attacked for.

Perhaps my response, and the response of others, is colored by our previous interactions with Joranda and with Castle Mischief. Perhaps.

Or maybe we just agree with CM's idea that "caches per gallon" isn't a very good way to measure the satisfaction we get from this sport/activity. Joranda's response to this perfectly valid critique was to bring up CM's statistics. CM criticized an idea; Joranda responded with an ad hominem.

Yes, people agree with snark when it furthers their cause and disagree when it doesn't.

Probably.

Hey guys, thanks for the support and all but I really didn't give it a second thought.

About the "article", which this thread is supposedly about...have many people scrolled down to read the comments posted?

There were no comments when I first read the article, but I just went back and checked them out. About the same as the forums here, but with the occasional uninformed muggle trying to add something, too.

Overall I thought it was a good article. Sure there was the occasional mistake, but not as bad as many other press articles that assume we're burying our caches. :rolleyes:

Some friends and I were planning to hit the trail over the Easter weekend, and Route 66 a couple days before. Now we're just going to stay in California and do the other trails and shapes around Barstow. I have yet to call the Little Al'e'inn to cancel our reservation. I'm not looking forward to that :(