Enabling an archived cache?

Mdgeotrek

Is it possible to enable an archived cache due to the fact the cache was compromised due to weather and myself the owner lost interest in caching but want to start up again and us the same area to start the cache again? Any help would be appreciated.

My understanding of the rules is that once a cache is archived then its not able to be reinstated. You will need to submit it as a new cache.

cheers

Sue

Is it possible to enable an archived cache due to the fact the cache was compromised due to weather and myself the owner lost interest in caching but want to start up again and us the same area to start the cache again? Any help would be appreciated.

My understanding of the rules is that once a cache is archived then its not able to be reinstated. You will need to submit it as a new cache.

cheers

Sue

Oh why is that ?

Actually, it is possible to have a cache unarchived. E-mail the reviewer that published it and ask. They may not unarchive it, depending on how long it's been, and if any other caches are too close now. But only the reviewer will be able to say for sure one way or the other.

Correct. A cache archived recently (months ago, not years ago) can be considered for unarchiving, if it meets current guidelines and if the issue causing the archival is resolved. For a cache archived years ago, the reviewer will likely advise submitting a new cache report.

In addition, please note that under the adoption guidelines, caches cannot be unarchived for purposes of facilitating an adoption to a new owner.

Thanks so far for all the answers. I was new to geocaching back in 2001 and my pc. I don't think I was getting much email back then in regards to my cache or the problems they were having back then with the cache. Since it has been years I will probably just start a new cache in the same area and rename it similiar to what I named the other cache.

Thanks so far for all the answers. I was new to geocaching back in 2001 and my pc. I don't think I was getting much email back then in regards to my cache or the problems they were having back then with the cache. Since it has been years I will probably just start a new cache in the same area and rename it similiar to what I named the other cache.

If it has truly been 9+ years since the cache was archived, I agree that you should start fresh.

Make sure to read all of the guidelines for placing a cache. Quite a bit has changed since you were last here.

If it has truly been 9+ years since the cache was archived, I agree that you should start fresh.

Make sure to read all of the guidelines for placing a cache. Quite a bit has changed since you were last here.

I still don't think my cache should have been archived. A nice email to inform me that there was a problem with the cache would have been a better choice.

Things may have been very different 9 years ago in regards to emails/notifications. But since it has been so long, just start fresh and place a wonderful cache in that same spot (if it's still available). Did you pick up the old container yet? I'd definitely check on that first.

And do me a personal favor: don't put the word Redux in your new cache. It drives me crazy! :rolleyes:

Have fun getting started again.

Probably, a good start would be to do a search for caches using the original coordinates as center... that would give you some idea of what might be there today... I'd search out several miles looking for puzzle/mystery caches and multis that might wander into range as well... if there are some, then the local reviewer could probably check in advance the same way and advise yea or nay.

Doug 7rxc

I still don't think my cache should have been archived. A nice email to inform me that there was a problem with the cache would have been a better choice.

Caches aren't archived by reviewers without at least a couple or email warnings. These are sent through your profile at GS.

.....They most likely were directed to your spam folder by your email client. It happens :anicute:

Not necessarily.

Some spam filters block emails from ever getting to a box of any kind that the user can control. Some ISPs just block certain emails entirely or throttle the rate at which they will accept emails - thus causing some emails to fail.

Saw a cache reactivated nearby. It was muggled last April and archived last August. CO and his wife had a baby! It went from a small to a micro, and was moved 241 feet. This is the same cache?!?!?

I would suggest putting up a new cache page.

No this is not my cache.

.....They most likely were directed to your spam folder by your email client. It happens :anicute:

Not necessarily.

Some spam filters block emails from ever getting to a box of any kind that the user can control. Some ISPs just block certain emails entirely or throttle the rate at which they will accept emails - thus causing some emails to fail.

Yep, these providers are to be avoided if possible. They apply general purpose email filters and if a site such as geocaching.com ends up on that list there's very little you or they can do about it.

Of your four cache hides, you archived two of them, so I'm guessing you're either talking about GC1BCF or GC4A23.

In both cases, the revier, ILReviewer, left a note on the cache page for you:

If the owner would like to replace this cache, please contact me at IllinoisGeocacher@yahoo.com

So...perhaps you should contact ILReviewer at IllinoisGeocacher@yahoo.com if you would like to replace one of those caches.

Edit to add: the last "found it" log for GC1BCF says that the cache was hidden on private land without permission, so you may want to talk to the landowner before trying to hide a cache there again.

Edited by hzoi

Of your four cache hides, you archived two of them, so I'm guessing you're either talking about GC1BCF or GC4A23.

If the owner would like to replace this cache, please contact me at IllinoisGeocacher@yahoo.com

So...perhaps you should contact ILReviewer at IllinoisGeocacher@yahoo.com if you would like to replace one of those caches.

Edit to add: the last "found it" log for GC1BCF says that the cache was hidden on private land without permission, so you may want to talk to the landowner before trying to hide a cache there again.

I don't know where the person was looking for my cache but it definetly wasn't on private property unless the land owners were walking in the cemetary next to the fence. On the other side of the fence is dense woods and on the other fence is a subdivision. If he was there he was in the wrong place. ON the beyond the grave cache

I don't know where the person was looking for my cache but it definetly wasn't on private property unless the land owners were walking in the cemetary next to the fence. On the other side of the fence is dense woods and on the other fence is a subdivision. If he was there he was in the wrong place. ON the beyond the grave cache

And yes if i had beeen receiving emails since the reviewer posted several notes then I would have looked at GC and corrected the problem.