should this bug be allowed in the top ten?

mrplug

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

i think its a waste of a TB, but i cant find anywhere on the TB page that says you CAN'T do that(leave it in one place and have everyone log it.... icon_rolleyes.gif) So if it isnt against the "rules" how can it be disqualified?

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/whack.gif

I think it's unfair that someone who has launched a creative bug and given it a goal that people will want to help it acheive will not make the top 10 because this bug is taking up a spot. Yes there is no rule against having many people log a bug that they never move, but I do feel that it's a backdoor into getting up in the top ten list.

Ok, off my soap box. How does everyone else feel?

Cripes... I might as well just bring a travel bug with me and hit a few different cache events around Ohio, MI, WV, etc - having everyone there jot down the number so they can log my bug too.

I'll have hundreds of hits!

icon_rolleyes.gif

In other words, yeah - I think that is a lame thing to do with a bug. Not a whole lot of "travel" in that travel bug, eh? I don't think it should be disallowed - but I agree that it sucks that it will be taking up a spot in the top 10 that other traveling travel bugs should probably be in.

Yet another reason not to compete against or worry about someone else's points/finds/logs/whatever.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

It's a SPB (Stay Put Bug) AKA: Americus Noseeumus, a completely different species of bug. This particular species is not in any of the winged genera of bug, ie: Hymenoptera, Lepidoptera, Diptera, Coleoptera, Homoptera, or Hemiptera, as it has no wings to fly from this cache. Perhaps, if this bug is going to stay put someone should care for it and here is a web page for the care of insect pets. http://www.insectpets.co.uk/forum/

Think I'm kidding?

No I don't think this is fair at all and i quote the TB owner: "I just found out that if you post a note to a tbug with it's # it counts as a find log. This means you dont have to log it in and out of a cache to log it. At the time of the Hoopla there were a total of 30 log tags on the Tbug. If you are the cacher to find the tbug with only the #30 tag left, leave it on the Tbug and just send it on it's way, drawing more attention for www.mngeo.com and Minnesota Geocaching."

So what, after the thirty logs in one spot it then moves on? But no mileage adds up?

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by mrplug:

I think it's unfair that someone who has launched a creative bug and given it a goal that people will want to help it acheive will not make the top 10 because this bug is taking up a spot. Yes there is no rule against having many people log a bug that they never move, but I do feel that it's a backdoor into getting up in the top ten list.

Ok, off my soap box. How does everyone else feel?

I feel this bug is a waste, im just wondering when this bug will go MIAPONG icon_razz.gif

if i had released my TB's and was a contender for a top 10 spot i WOULD be way POed that this bug has such a high spot because its getting hits threw "other than normal" means icon_frown.gif

whack.gif

I don't see a rule against it, but the entire concept is pretty stupid. And looking at the logs, some people thought it was a good idea. Does that mean we'll start seeing copycats?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Perfect example of what happens when we start getting into the numbers game. Too late to do much about it now. If you don't like it, don't log it. Numbers are just numbers. Have fun with everything else and take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Now think how negatively this practice might affect traditional caches if we officially followed these numbers officially state/nation/world wide.

With friends like you, who needs enemas?

Hmm, I could get MiGO a lot of publicity by allowing members to log as many finds as they want on one of my caches, filling up the top ten finders with MiGO!

Or I could have the most-found cache by letting anybody who wants to log a find!

Or even better, I could become the number one finder by logging three thousand finds on my own cache!

Let's see....nope, no rules against any of these!

migo_sig_logo.jpg

"It doesn't take a nucular scientist to pronounce 'foilage'." --Marge Simpson

That isn't a travel bug! If that's how a TB is supposed to work, I could just hand out hundreds of little post it notes with a TB# on it and then I would be in the Top 10. TB= Travel-Bug. Hence the word, 'Travel'. This TB in question is definitely a cheater. Someone lock onto him with a Hellfire and blow him to peices!

Keep your powder dry...

Team Smoke

I think this may have been recently added to that bug, but maybe I just missed it the first time:

There are two new ways you can log this Tbug. Spawned Tbugs and two for one tag-a-longs. Spawned: Will be a note log tag found attached to a cache item. 2for1: Will be a note log tag found attached to another tbug. Look for these and more coming soon to a cache near you!

That sounds like he is actually putting tags with HIS travel bug number onto OTHER TRAVEL BUGS and CACHE STUFF so he can get more logs! How lame is that? You'd think at least that would be considered 'breaking a rule' of Travel Bugs.

Not only does this make him look like a jerk to many folks out here, but it also manages to give MNGEO a black eye in the process. Lame, lame, lame.

I feel bad for the folks that run this site in times like this. The way bugs were "counted" for the top 10 was already changed due to people doing things in a somewhat sneaky manner, to get their bug in the top 10 list. And now someone is already starting to use this new method of padding their stats. Personally, it wouldn't matter to me if he got rid of the top 10 lists - except I know that some people consider them important. icon_rolleyes.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

My understanding was that the purpose was to promote our 'association' Geocachers Exploring Minnesota and its website, hence the TB name. I am not the bug owner, and don't want to make any other statements, which may or may not be true.

I have placed the highest number of caches in Minnesota, but not because of any 'numbers' game. I guess its reward is the comments I see, and e-mail I receive.

11922_300.jpg

Ahhhhha, My Tbug has been noticed. To bad it has spawned A controversial negative debate about a ingenious innovative idea, in regards to one of the fun easy going games/sports that I love to do with my family. This is one of the main reasons I stay away from quite a few of the the forum threads. Don't get me wrong, I honor and respect everyones right to voice their own opinions and free speech. I just think there are so many other creative and constructive ways one could spend their time. This Tbug received a jump start by being found by a bunch of individual Cachers at a holiday event supporting and celebrating our game/sport. They all had, and used, their own opinion to deem this a great and fun idea. All I am doing is using all the tools I was given in an innovative fashion. As many have said before, this is a game/sport that is in a continuous state of change and new and creative variables will be continuously surfacing. Don't stifle innovation, embrace it and evolve. If you want to play the stats game, just look at what I did for this bug http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=1914. I really like the Tbug aspect of geocaching, I know how to do it right, and my stats prove it. This is just a new fun twist. If you want to rain on our associations holiday fun, go right ahead we in Minnesota don't mind caching in all conditions, we were just having fun supporting the game/sport we have come to love, and bring some attention to our niche. If the general consensus think I should wack this Tbug, I will. Thanks for the support and all the caches KB. Enough said.

quote:
If the general consensus think I should wack this Tbug, I will.

I don't think that you necessarily need to ax the bug. You probably will notice that most people will be fine with the whole situation if you get rid of the 'alternate' Tbug procedures.

This is just my opinion, but I think that a Tbug is supposed to log miles when it is logged in. There must be a goal, no matter how elaborate or even to just go from cache to cache. The 'spirit' of the Travel Bug is to 'Travel'. Just passing hands from cacher to cacher at a picnic is not in the 'spirit' of the game.

Team Smoke

Keep you powder dry...

quote:
If the general consensus think I should wack this Tbug, I will. Thanks for the support and all the caches KB. Enough said.

Just send him out into the cache world, a travel bug should travel.

Main Entry: 1trav.el

Pronunciation: 'tra-v&l

Function: verb

Etymology: Middle English travailen to labor, journey, from Old French travaillier to labor

Date: 14th century

Inflected Form(s): -eled or -elled; -el.ing or trav.el.ling /'tra-v&-li[ng], 'trav-li[ng]/

intransitive senses

1 a : to go on or as if on a trip or tour : JOURNEY b (1) : to go as if by traveling : PASS (2) : ASSOCIATE c : to go from place to place as a sales representative or business agent

2 a : to move or undergo transmission from one place to another b : to move in a given direction or path or through a given distance c : to move rapidly

3 : to walk or run with a basketball in violation of the rules

transitive senses

1 a : to journey through or over b : to follow (a course or path) as if by traveling

2 : to traverse (a specified distance)

3 : to cover (an area) as a commercial traveler

otherwise he's just a bug, a Stay Put Bug.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

I think the problem people have with this idea is that it intentionally interferes with an existing aspect of the travel bug game, the top log list. The variety of ways of logging a traveler aren't bad in themselves; what's controversial is deliberately thinking of new ways to spread your bug's number when everyone else is playing by an established set of rules, with the stated desire of getting it in the top ten.

Imagine a professional baseball team playing games against high school teams. Not a bad idea, lots of fun for the kids. But then imagine those games counting in their record when determining who goes to the World Series.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I logged the bug, as did my sons who were at the picnic. I see nothing wrong with letting this type of bug happen.

We are a very small (slightly disorganized) association, unlike the powerhouse geocaching clubs out there, we need a bit of attention and a bit of *unity* to help us all along and bind us together a bit. Believe it or not, this bug was intended to do just that! Plus one of it's goals was to bring attention to our association and looky here -- it has!

As the #1 bug finder/grabber in Minnesota (yes, I am PROUD of it!), I think logging notes on a bug is just fine. About 30% of the time, I go after a bug and leave it there for somebody else to find and take on it's way. I post a log "note" and a digital picture of the bug at the cache and get a bug credit because technically I DID find it, I just left it there. This is to prevent me from "holding" (or hoarding) too many bugs at one time. It's a good thing! Really!

A find is a find, no matter if it is a note or a pickup. Everyone at the picnic "found" CB's bug. It was not forced on us or anything like that, some people logged it, some didn't.

AND WHY DO YOU REALLY CARE?????

(anyway, I have some suspicions about the actual "travel" involved in most of the top 10 bugs - we were just honest and truthful about the MNGEO bug)

.....and on the 7th day, God turned off his Macintosh.

quote:
Originally posted by Centris:

AND WHY DO YOU REALLY CARE?????

Because, as stated above, it is deliberately tampering with a statistic that other people *do* care about (if no one cared about numbers, there wouldn't be a list). It is deliberate, because the bug's stated goal is to stay on the list. It is tampering because it goes against the spirit of the TB guidelines, if not the letter (see my first post here for other examples).

And again, it's not so much the fact that the bug is sitting in place, it's the other methods of logging that don't even require a person see the bug. Why not just post the bug number here in this thread? It could have over 400 "finds" already!

Logging a bug in place is perfectly fine, IMO; while it does add to the number of logs, it does not artificially inflate its mileage, it allows other cachers to find it, and it lets the owner know the bug hasn't gone missing. That's a marvelous idea.

I don't begrudge you your fun, your community, or your innovations. Just try to think about how it affects everyone else in the game.

I happen to not agree with the bit of wisdom that "any publicity is good publicity". Consider some less controversial ways to get attention for your group:

- ask Jeremy to include a link to your site on the state search page (I see this has been done, good!)

- have members include a logo/link in their forum sig

- have members do something similar on their cache pages

- organize a trash-out event or other community service

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by CB-GPSERS:

Ahhhhha, My Tbug has been noticed. To bad it has spawned A controversial negative debate about a ingenious innovative idea, in regards to one of the fun easy going games/sports that I love to do with my family.

All I am doing is using all the tools I was given in an innovative fashion.

CB, I certainly admire your attempt to generate more publicity for your state's geocaching association. However, while your intentions are honorable, your method is problematic. If other people see that it's ok to log a bug in this way in order to get into the top 10, we will see plenty of copy cats. And then soon, just like the mileage top 10 that had to be discontinued by Jeremy, this list of the most found bugs will become riddled with "fraud" as well.

So while your innovative idea may seem harmless, in fact it is probably the beginning of the end of another top ten list for travel bugs.

It's about as ingenious as finding the same cache a 1000 times so you can be on the top finders list.

Simply it cheapens Geocaching and shows that you and your organization are a bunch of frauds.

You know it's wrong but you justify it because you want some notoriety.

The spirit of Geocaching is sharing not finding ways around things to overshadow others true accomplishments.

quote:
Not only does this make him look like a jerk to many folks out here, but it also manages to give MNGEO a black eye in the process. Lame, lame, lame.

I feel bad for the folks that run this site in times like this.

What in the WORLD are you talking about? I own mngeo.com. I didn't make the travel bug, but I think it's a fabulous idea! icon_smile.gif This isn't about hits, I already go over on bandwidth every month! I *pay* to keep the site going. It's about community and fun. The "jerks" are all you whiners... lighten up, sheesh! If you don't like it, there's that fancy little back button that came with your browser, use it!

[this is a perfect example of the reason I don't frequent these forums any more... whine whine whine whine WHINE!]

Geocachers Exploring Minnesota

quote:
Originally posted by bk11:

I own mngeo.com. I didn't make the travel bug, but I think it's a fabulous idea! icon_smile.gif I *pay* to keep the site going. It's about community and fun. The "jerks" are all you whiners... lighten up, sheesh! If you don't like it, there's that fancy little back button that came with your browser, use it!

Gee, I wish I lived in MN so I could join your group... you sound like a bunch of winners to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:

Our true accomplishment _is_ our community and sharing it is what we're doing.

Then why share it in a way that offends so many owners of 'legitimate' travel bugs (myself included)?

Based on the responses to this thread, maybe the fact that not one single person seems to think this was a good idea (other than members of MNGEO) should give you guys pause to reconsider.

quote:
Gee, I wish I lived in MN so I could join your group... you sound like a bunch of winners to me.

You don't have to live here, silly. icon_smile.gif Anybody that's interested in geocaching in Minnesota is welcome.

ooga, I realize some people aren't pleased with it, and I'm sorry about that. You can't make everybody happy all the time and we all know that.

I bought a pack of travel bugs last year: missing & missing. so after that, what was the point of sending out the others sitting in my junk drawer & ditto weeee, fun!

honestly, I finally feel like I'm getting my money's worth with the WWW.MNGEO.COM bug.

Geocachers Exploring Minnesota

quote:
ooga, I realize some people aren't pleased with it, and I'm sorry about that. You can't make everybody happy all the time and we all know that.

I understand that, but my point is that you don't really seem to be making anybody happy, other than MNGEO members, and a lot of other people unhappy.

A couple of weeks ago, I was privileged enough to be the first person to get to move the SLAGA Travel Bug, which was let loose by the St. Louis Area Geocachers Assn. to travel to as many event caches as possible. So far it's been to 3 events, and had everyone who was at those events logged it as a 'find' or even a 'note', it would have something like 45 or 50 logs by now and be solidly in #1 on the top 10.

But somehow that seems dishonest - at least to me, and to the people who decided to create the bug. So instead the bug has a physical log book that everyone can sign in on. Everyone still gets to record their encounter with the bug, but now the bug's log isn't clogged up with bogus entries. And it doesn't occupy a top-10 spot that it doesn't deserve.

Aside from this negative publicity from people who already know about geocaching, just how will this bug being in the top ten list bring your club more attention? Is anyone outside the geocaching world really watching you? Is it going to be in the newspaper? Just whose attention are you looking to get? If you really want some attention for your group, try putting together one of these: http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=9720998635

That would get you a lot of desired attention, positive feedback and maybe some new members. This Travel Bug thing is a joke. And we're not whining, we're talking in a sensible tone of voice, we're discussing.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:

It's about community and fun. The "jerks" are all you whiners... lighten up, sheesh! If you don't like it, there's that fancy little back button that came with your browser, use it!

Interesting tactic. People bring up an idea and discuss it's merits. Those involved with the idea find out, are upset that most people don't like the idea, and their defense is to accuse everyone of whining. Sounds similar to the tactics of a certain Iraqi leader (who was recently re-elected in a landslide, no doubt after silencing all the pesky whiners). If this is really such a great idea, you shouldn't have to resort to name calling to defend it.

The text for this "Travel" Bug clearly states how it was engineered to bypass the normal mechanism for being on the top 10 list. If this were an unintended side-effect, it'd be defendable, but this intention is clearly stated.

(sarcasm on)

Also I tried your back button method, but it didn't remove the chicanery from the list. Perhaps you could explain how this is supposed to work? icon_rolleyes.gif

I would like to call attention to an idea that was suggested by someone else - ignore the "notes" when coming up with a count for the top 10 page

[This message was edited by smillersmiller on November 02, 2002 at 01:28 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Aside from this negative publicity from people who already know about geocaching, just how will this bug being in the top ten list bring your club more attention? Is anyone outside the geocaching world really watching you? Is it going to be in the newspaper? Just whose attention are you looking to get? If you really want some attention for your group, try putting together one of these: http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=9720998635

I swore I was not going to get re-involved in this at all, I usually avoid the forum at all costs -- but this post is personal to me!

Hmmmmm -- a big trash out to generate some publicity! icon_confused.gif Now why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?!?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36116 (geocaching and this cache was the leading FEATURE story on the lottery sponsored "Environmental Journal" and was shown on over 340 stations region wide) We also hold trash out activities on a regular basis -- last one was 10-27-02

Whether or not we have trash out's has nothing to do with this Travel Bug. It is a separate issue, different thread.

YES!!!! The media here DOES watch us very closely because of the bans and problems we have here in MN with the DNR about geocaching. In fact we have several newspaper reporters who are active geocachers themselves.

This Travel Bug will be noticed. It is just one more thing to draw attention to geocaching. They will want an interview and that discussion with them WILL generate PLENTY of positive publicity for our organization and our hobby.

.....and on the 7th day, God turned off his Macintosh.

I honestly commend MNGEO on their past publicity campaigns. But I fail to see how that justifies this one. If this travel bug proves to be the catalyst for some new interview/article that wouldn't have happened otherwise, one worth all the hassle and negativity, please do post it in the forums.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I swore I was not going to get re-involved in this at all, I usually avoid the forum at all costs -- but this post is personal to me!

Why because we are exposing your CHEATING

It is just one more thing to draw attention to geocaching. They will want an interview and that discussion with them WILL generate PLENTY of positive publicity for our organization and our hobby.

If most or a majority disagree with how you participate (CHEAT) how is that positive?

Your travel bug Zeebloo 17 of the 23 logs belong to you and you move the bug yourself to 5 different caches in one day

zeebloo

I think most would agree this is not what was intended for the Tbug

I know others do the same but don't dress up your true intentions as something good for GEOCACHING

It's all about the #'s

[This message was edited by glisher on November 03, 2002 at 08:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by glisher on November 03, 2002 at 09:13 PM.]

No, you idiot. She was referring a previous post and link by Planet concerning Cache In, Trash Out. Centris and her family bag up trash at every cache they visit.

How much trash have you carried out while caching?

Oh, you haven't actually gone caching? Perhaps you should change your name to TROLL?

[This message was edited by kingboreas on November 04, 2002 at 12:24 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Centris:

Hmmmmm -- a big trash out to generate some publicity! icon_confused.gif Now why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?!?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36116 (geocaching and this cache was the leading FEATURE story on the lottery sponsored "Environmental Journal" and was shown on over 340 stations region wide) We also hold trash out activities on a regular basis -- last one was 10-27-02

Hey! I like this cache! Fabulous, kudos, congrats, great idea.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kingboreas:

No, you idiot. She was referring a previous post and link by Planet concerning Cache In, Trash Out. Centris and her family bag up trash at every cache they visit.

How much trash have you carried out while caching?

Oh, you haven't actually gone caching? Perhaps you should change your name to TROLL?

[This message was edited by kingboreas on November 04, 2002 at 12:24 AM.]

King my beef is not with you if this is a pissing contest I have found over a 100 caches and taken A lot of trash out I choose not to log my finds because the #'s don't matter to me it is the hunt that I like I got a user name recently so I could post on this message board When I see others abusing the the sport I love I feel a need to speak out.

GLisher,

A little off-topic, but I'm confused why you don't log online. You aren't interested in the numbers? Ok, fair enough. But don't you think the cache owners are interested in their cache? The owners of the 100 caches you've found have gone through some effort to put them there. Don't they deserve the gratification of knowing folks are out there finding and enjoying (or not) their caches? Logs are also an indicator of whether or not the cache still exists, and the condition it is in.

Not to mention the hassle one goes through when other people think he is a newbie. icon_smile.gif

Jamie

quote:
Don't they deserve the gratification of knowing folks are out there finding and enjoying (or not) their caches? Logs are also an indicator of whether or not the cache still exists, and the condition it is in.

Thank you. I am interested in seeing what gets traded. One of my biggest 'complaints' is no mention of the swap.