Seller won't refund my return

Space*Cadet

I need help & advice! I returned an order of coins to SoCalGeocoins, and they have acknowledged receiving the return, but will not issue the credit thru paypal! :) What other recourse do I have besides suing them? I have contacted Paypal, and they sympathize with me and told me they have tried to get in contact with Matt Schapiro and Nanette Thacker, but have not been successful! Please advise??? ;)

Edited by huntress123

I need help & advice! I returned an order of coins to SoCalGeocoins, and they have acknowledged receiving the return, but will not issue the credit thru paypal! :) What other recourse do I have besides suing them? I have contacted Paypal, and they sympathize with me and told me they have tried to get in contact with Matt Schapiro and Nanette Thacker, but have not been successful! Please advise??? ;)

These coins were ordered for a specific event. I ordered 3 weeks prior to the event. They were coins that they stocked! When I had not received the order after 10 days I began emailing them, without responses. I then filed a dispute with Paypal. I then received a short email from Matt Schapiro stating the coins would ship the following day. I had 5 days then until my event. On the day of the event, the mailman came and went, and still no coins! At that time, I went onto Paypal, and filed a claim and stated that I no longer need the coins and wanted to cancel the order! Three days later I get an email from Paypal with the status of my claim showing that SoCalGeocoins just shipped my purchase that day! 4 days later they arrived! I contacted Matt Schapiro and told him I would be returning them as they were no longer needed or wanted. He agreed, so I returned them! They have acknowledged receiving them but refuse to refund my money.

There is always the Vendour Feedback Thread. Although your case is slightly different in that you got your coins whereas most posters there have not. But this goes to a vendour's reputation and ought to be published. Matt and Nanette have been known to have financial problems that can sometimes tap out their liquid reserves.

Edited by Droo

I'm sure this can be resolved, but it sucks to see a fellow vendor get slammed here. I placed a call to Matt this morning.

~J

I'm not Slammin' anyone...just stating Fact! It would all be a non-issue if they had done the right thing and either cancelled the order, or refunded my money once they received the items back! It is not right for them to keep my money and the merchandise also!

............... I contacted xxxxx and told him I would be returning them as they were no longer needed or wanted. He agreed, so I returned them! They have acknowledged receiving them but refuse to refund my money.

So.... you have an email stating that he agreed you should return the merchandise AND he agreed he would return your money? If so... then I'm guessing he is gonna be slow with the money (based on the slow delivery of the coins). How many days have passed since you received the confirmation of the merchandise being returned to the vendor? How do you know he is NOW refusing to return your money? Why did he state he is no longer going to do what you say you have documention of him agreeing to?

:laughing:

Just so you know...and you probably do know by now. Paypal will not give you any money back if there is no money in the vendors account. This is why ebay and paypal are a risk. Obviously, when a vendor decides to rip everyone off, they pull all the money out of their paypal account first.

:sad:

............... I contacted xxxxx and told him I would be returning them as they were no longer needed or wanted. He agreed, so I returned them! They have acknowledged receiving them but refuse to refund my money.

So.... you have an email stating that he agreed you should return the merchandise AND he agreed he would return your money? If so... then I'm guessing he is gonna be slow with the money (based on the slow delivery of the coins). How many days have passed since you received the confirmation of the merchandise being returned to the vendor? How do you know he is NOW refusing to return your money? Why did he state he is no longer going to do what you say you have documention of him agreeing to?

:laughing:

Just so you know...and you probably do know by now. Paypal will not give you any money back if there is no money in the vendors account. This is why ebay and paypal are a risk. Obviously, when a vendor decides to rip everyone off, they pull all the money out of their paypal account first.

:sad:

I have saved all the communication emails' between him and I! The one where he states to return the merchandise and he will refund me, and I also have emails confirming he did receive the returned items, but has not honored his word in refunding me! I've been at him everyday, but to no avail! My only regret was ever ordering from him in the first place!

Edited by huntress123

Ok so heres the real story. We got an order from Sandy Johnson from Austin, Texas and we sent it out at the end of October after we moved to Arizona. I sent that package out without tracking. After my wife got a message thru her facebook account we found out she didn't receive the coins. So we shipped out another package with tracking. After she received them she decided she no longer wanted them and wanted to return them. We agreed that once I received the coins back I would issue a refund. Which I did that day with paypal as long as she could provide proof that the items were shipped. As soon as she confirmed it she would have received her money. I told her numerous times she had to check her paypal.

She never followed up with paypal and therefor paypal ruled in my favor. After paypal ruled in my favor my wife and I received threats from her on facebook saying she;

November 19 at 1:07pm Report

Why are you now ignoring my requests for a refund when you have your coins back? If I don't receive my refund in the next 24 hours, I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Golden Valley, Arizona and Torrance, California. I also will file an online report with RipOff Report.com, so anyone who googles SoCalGeocoins or Matt or Nanette Thacker, will see negative information about your business and your tactics, ahead of your your website address.

Furbrat Socalgeocoins November 19 at 8:04pm

We dont appreciate your threats. You have been refunded through PayPal. Stop harassing us!

Sandy Johnson December 2 at 4:41pm Report

Since you have been deliquent in refunding my money I have been in contact with the BBB, RipOff Report, the Arizona & California State Attorney Generals office, where I have filed complaints agains you, your company and your Wife Nanette Thacker, and also with the internet Fraud Division of the FBI which a contact at Paypal instructed me to do!

Your best bet now would be to issue the refund before all this comes down on your head!

I called paypal today to file a harassment complaint against her and they told me she needs to cease and desist and that I am not to respond back to her. Because she never followed up with them and I sent out 2 sets of packages that I did everything in my power to make her happy. They said she is not entitled to a refund unless she can come up with that second set of coins which we did not receive back.

Ok so heres the real story. We got an order from Sandy Johnson from Austin, Texas and we sent it out at the end of October after we moved to Arizona. I sent that package out without tracking. After my wife got a message thru her facebook account we found out she didn't receive the coins. So we shipped out another package with tracking. After she received them she decided she no longer wanted them and wanted to return them. We agreed that once I received the coins back I would issue a refund. Which I did that day with paypal as long as she could provide proof that the items were shipped. As soon as she confirmed it she would have received her money. I told her numerous times she had to check her paypal.

She never followed up with paypal and therefor paypal ruled in my favor. After paypal ruled in my favor my wife and I received threats from her on facebook saying she;

Why are you now ignoring my requests for a refund when you have your coins back? If I don't receive my refund in the next 24 hours, I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Golden Valley, Arizona and Torrance, California. I also will file an online report with RipOff Report.com, so anyone who googles SoCalGeocoins or Matt or Nanette Thacker, will see negative information about your business and your tactics, ahead of your your website address.

We dont appreciate your threats. You have been refunded through PayPal. Stop harassing us!

Since you have been deliquent in refunding my money I have been in contact with the BBB, RipOff Report, the Arizona & California State Attorney Generals office, where I have filed complaints agains you, your company and your Wife Nanette Thacker, and also with the internet Fraud Division of the FBI which a contact at Paypal instructed me to do!

Your best bet now would be to issue the refund before all this comes down on your head!

I called paypal today to file a harassment complaint against her and they told me she needs to cease and desist and that I am not to respond back to her. Because she never followed up with them and I sent out 2 sets of packages that I did everything in my power to make her happy. They said she is not entitled to a refund unless she can come up with that second set of coins which we did not receive back.

YOU HAVE YOUR PACKAGE BACK AND YOU ARE TO RETURN MY MONEY ACCORDING TO JAQUELYN AT PAYPAL! I HAVE ALSO SPOKEN TO THEM THEY ARE THE ONES WHO TOLD ME TO REPORT YOU TO THE BBB, INTERNET CRIME DIVISION OF THE FBI AND ALSO TO THE STATE ATTORNEYS GENERALS OFFICE OF BOTH AZ & CA. WHICH I HAVE DONE. TOMORROW I'M FILING A SMALL CLAIMS SUIT AGAINST YOU! I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT YOUR LOW LIFE BUSINESS TACTICS!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE HEAT RETURN MY MONEY!

Hi again...

As an administrator on SoCal's webstore, I will say this:

Your order was placed on 10/18/10 for $28.97 (order of 3 coins). On 11/01/10, your paypal account was credited back to you (Reversal of funds, as shown below).

HOWEVER, SoCal sent the order out anyway on 11/18/10 (even after the funds were returned).

Sandy... what's your basis on this complaint? SoCal did everything in their power to satisfy you. While I can appreciate the fact that you are not happy, your complaint here is not based on the fact that you didn't receive the items, you clearly stated that you had, just not in time for your event.

Matt and Nan were in the middle of moving from SoCal to AZ, and got your order out promptly after their move. You had received your order, but sent it back. Your Paypal funds were returned, yet your order was still sent out after the fact.

What's your issue?

At the risk of losing you as MY customer as well, I must defend Matt and Nan on this issue.

------------------------------------------------

First Name: Sandra

Last Name: Johnson

Business Name: (Removed by me)

Address Name: Sandra Johnson

Address Street: (Removed by me)

Address City: Austin

Address State: TX

Address Country: United States

Payer Email: m************n@hotmail.com

Ebay ID:

Payer ID: SYZT958G8NNVA

Payer Status:

Address Status:

Trans. Type: parent

Trans. ID: 703132594J1125352

Parent Trans. ID: 06C99260VS659790K

Payment Type: instant

Payment Status: Canceled_Reversal

Pending Reason:

Invoice:

Payment Date: 11/01/2010 06:53:49

Currency: USD

Gross Amount: 27.83

Payment Fee: 1.14

Exchange Rate: 0.00

Cart items:

----------------------------------

Having posted the transaction history on your order, I can see no basis for your complaint other than the fact that you did not receive your items in the timeframe you set for yourself (and your event). You received your money, and returned the items back to the vendor. What else is there to do here, other than complain openly about it?

~J

I have to agree with SoCalGeocoins in this case. However, I do use the geocoin vendor ratings here and in other forums. Personally, I would never do business with SoCalGeocoins. But the buyer got what they ordered. I (and many other buyers) got ripped-off by a vendor that created a presale, then shut down the site. Took our money and ended all contact. I reported this to the BBB and IC3 internet fraud, but it was useless. Be careful who you send your money to, and use the vendor feedback ratings. :laughing:

Hi again...

Your order was placed on 10/18/10 for $28.97 (order of 3 coins). On 11/01/10, your paypal account was credited back to you (Reversal of funds, as shown below).

HOWEVER, SoCal sent the order out anyway on 11/18/10 (even after the funds were returned).

Sandy... what's your basis on this complaint? SoCal did everything in their power to satisfy you. While I can appreciate the fact that you are not happy, your complaint here is not based on the fact that you didn't receive the items, you clearly stated that you had, just not in time for your event.

Matt and Nan were in the middle of moving from SoCal to AZ, and got your order out promptly after their move. You had received your order, but sent it back. Your Paypal funds were returned, yet your order was still sent out after the fact.

What's your issue?

At the risk of losing you as MY customer as well, I must defend Matt and Nan on this issue.

Ebay ID:

Payer Status:

Address Status:

Pending Reason:

Invoice:

Cart items:

Having posted the transaction history on your order, I can see no basis for your complaint other than the fact that you did not receive your items in the timeframe you set for yourself (and your event). You received your money, and returned the items back to the vendor. What else is there to do here, other than complain openly about it?

~J

WELL THERE YOU GO LYING AGAIN....I HAVE RECEIVED NO REFUND FROM YOU THAT IS MY COMPLAINT!

Hi again...

What's your issue?

Ebay ID:

Payer Status:

Address Status:

Pending Reason:

Invoice:

Cart items:

~J

WELL THERE WAS NO REFUND FROM SOCALGEOCOINS THAT IS MY COMPLAINT! THEY ARE NOT HONORING THEIR WORDS!

I think what would be useful here is not the transaction ID information from the website, but the transaction ID information from PayPal. It's conceivable that the website thinks it reversed the payment, but that the process failed at PayPal (or somewhere in between).

Sandra, you've got to calm down. Use periods instead of exclamation points. Don't use all caps. Take a deep breath. I know you're furious, but as you can see, Matt's response to this has been to simply shut down. It's not doing you any good. Bringing it here, at the same level of volume, isn't going to do anything except get you censured by Groundspeak for using the Forums like this.

Instead of assuming that Matt's out to defraud you (he may be, but he may not be), let's start by assuming that there is either 1) an error in communication or 2) there's been a system error somewhere.

Sandra, go to PayPal, go into your archive, and find the line entry for the payment you sent. Its status should say "Refunded" or "Partially Refunded" or "Payments Sent" (which is what PayPal's help information tells me is a form of refund status, tho it seems weird to me).

If it doesn't, click on "Details". Now, take a screenshot of that screen. You should be able to edit out anything account-related, such as the "funding source" information (shoot me an email via GS if you need help editing graphics). Then you can send this to Matt and say something like, "Hi, I understand you're telling me you've refunded my payment. But here's the transaction (with transaction ID) as listed by PayPal, and as you can see, it hasn't been refunded. I'm thinking there might be a problem with your webstore's interface to PayPal, or PayPal's interface with your webstore. Could you please go into PayPal and manually refund this money? Let me know so that I can go check this entry again. And please send me a screen shot if it shows as refunded on your account history, because that would mean there's a problem with PayPal and I'll need both screen shots to take to them."

Make sure you confirm the PayPal transaction ID with Matt so you both know you're talking about the same transaction. I'm assuming you both did this, but just in case you haven't, it's important to do so. Matt may very earnestly and sincerely be talking about a transaction, but it might be the wrong one.

And seriously, if PayPal tells you, Sandra, one thing (i.e., that the status is "Completed") and Matt another thing (i.e., "Refunded"), then PayPal needs to straighten it out because in that case there's clearly a problem in their system.

Another tip for sellers: if you know you're going to be offline because, say, you're moving to another state, either take down your site temporarily or at least put up a really obvious message stating that you're moving and won't be able to ship packages until <insert date>*. That way, buyers who buy stuff that is in stock on your store won't have an expectation that it will be shipped out immediately. I see this too often here: buyer buys x, seller doesn't send x or sends x super late, buyer gets upset, then seller says "but I was in the middle of a big move to Pluto!/Enormous Life Crisis!/Heart-breakingly Piteous Event Involving Puppies & Kittens!" afterwards. We know that most of the vendors are ordinary folks who have actual human lives. But please, for the love of Pete, make sure you let people know at the time, please, so that all of this post-event upset can be avoided. </rant>

*My apologies, of course, if SoCalGeocoins actually did this. If they did, good on them. But I think it still stands as a good tip to everyone else who vends, especially part-time.

I have no idea who is right in this matter. All I can say is that huntress123 is doing the online equivalent of swearing. When people start yelling four letter words, it is very difficult to hear what they are trying to say. When people behave like this in court, the judge bangs the gavel, the lawyers try to calm the person down and if it continues, the person doing the yelling tends to be ruled against.

In my own experience, whenever I lose my calm and start yelling, I regret it nearly every time.

I, unfortunately feel sorry for the fact that you cannot get open and honest answers but if you do a search of the history of this company you will see that they have a history of problems.

I won't give you advice on how to handle yourself since it appears you are an adult. This company has a history of hiding their heads in the sand and history has shown that contacting all of the legal authorities doesn't get you anywhere. (Really not sure why they are even there).

Geocoinguy: are you copying and pasting the paypal transaction or the website transaction?

SoCalGeocoins has said that they feel they have made you happy so good luck with trying to get anything further.

This should be a warning to everyone, research the companies you are dealing with in the forums before you order from them. See if they have a good track record towards their customers.

Edited by LadeBear68

In response to Sandra Johnson, we offered a full refund of the items that were sent back from Sandra, through Paypal and released her payment for a full refund. She failed to respond to PayPal so they closed the case.

She has yet to return the first non trackable package to us. It has been well over 6 weeks and we havent received it back.

Sending us numerous emails of threats, messages on facebook, then slandering us and bringing OUR CHILD into this matter through email is uncalled for and will NOT be tolerated. If the emails of harassment and slander dont stop, we will take action.

In response to Sandra Johnson, we offered a full refund of the items that were sent back from Sandra, through Paypal and released her payment for a full refund. She failed to respond to PayPal so they closed the case.

She has yet to return the first non trackable package to us. It has been well over 6 weeks and we havent received it back.

Sending us numerous emails of threats, messages on facebook, then slandering us and bringing OUR CHILD into this matter through email is uncalled for and will NOT be tolerated. If the emails of harassment and slander dont stop, we will take action.

I received ONLY one package from you and I RETURNED it! THis IS the first time you have ever mentioned sending more than one package!

To put this all very bluntly...

To the OP, you should have posted your concerns in the pinned thread up top because that's what it's for. This is the 2nd or 3rd instance of someone starting a thread that specifically questions a vendor's actions and immediately puts them on the defensive. If you have a legitimate issue, the thread above was created for exactly that. Use it.

To the vendor(s) involved, report the thread to the mods and handle this privately with class. You've each had your previous problems here, so take a serious look at how you're handling these issues and put yourself in the shoes of the customer. If you're not communicating and being attentive to concerned customers, then shore up your operation and avoid these complaints altogether.

It's rotten to see the forum bogged down with these negative threads. Every time these things are brought up it gives someone else an idea to complain about something they didn't like either. So take it to the pinned thread above as it was designed for, or better yet...completely off the forums in private.

<snip>

It's rotten to see the forum bogged down with these negative threads. Every time these things are brought up it gives someone else an idea to complain about something they didn't like either. So take it to the pinned thread above as it was designed for, or better yet...completely off the forums in private.

<snip>

Thank you.

~J

To put this all very bluntly...

To the OP, you should have posted your concerns in the pinned thread up top because that's what it's for. This is the 2nd or 3rd instance of someone starting a thread that specifically questions a vendor's actions and immediately puts them on the defensive. If you have a legitimate issue, the thread above was created for exactly that. Use it.

To the vendor(s) involved, report the thread to the mods and handle this privately with class. You've each had your previous problems here, so take a serious look at how you're handling these issues and put yourself in the shoes of the customer. If you're not communicating and being attentive to concerned customers, then shore up your operation and avoid these complaints altogether.

Well after continually being blown off by the Vendor (being ignored)...I brought it to a public forum, in hopes of raising the consciene level of the Vendor. I did as the Vendor asked, and returned the merchandise to him, only to be treated poorly. My mistake was to not affix the delivery confirmation label to the envelope, and the Vendor took advantage of that! When I was unable to provide the delivery confirmation label no. to Paypal. I did provide emails from the Vendor confirming they had received the items back and also my Stamps.com shipping history with their Name and Address prominently displayed. After weeks have passed, you get a little angry! All this could have been avoided if the Vendor held true to his word and refunded my money once he received the merchandise back.

If there had been better communication between the parties I don't think they would be on the forums. If you see the original posts the buyer tried communicating with SoCalGeocoins and they did not respond or there was little response so telling them to handle it privately isn't productive.

Yes, it should be in the pinned thread. But if you don't know about that thread you might not notice it.

It looks like she had been trying to contact SoCal, but wasn't getting answers that satisfied her.

I hate that these problems come in the forum too, but they do serve to warn others.

That being said, I have no idea who is right and who is wrong.