Best Type of Cache to Own

TheFinleys

If I were to pull back on cache ownership, the last hide I'd archive might well be my Baynard Trail cache. It's an ammo can, not a tough find at all.

It probably has been a first find for more cachers then anything else I own (I assume that it is loaded in the CacheMate gps). It's in a Florida State park, on an easily accessible hiking trail - less then a mile from parking.... The logs are pleasant, maintenance has been easy (outside of the hurricane flood years) and over time, it's just been a nice nice cache to have.

Based on that experience, I say, >>>trading cache, nice walk in a pretty place, not too difficult in the terrain or the find.

You've found more than 50 caches so far. What have you learned from your experience? What kinds of caches do you enjoy? What kinds of caches would you like to own and maintain for the long term? What kinds of caches would you like others to associate with you, when you meet them face-to-face for the first time at a local event?

The type of cache that makes the finder want to rush home and write an awesome log about his/her adventure.

...even if hey don't find it. Sometimes DNF logs are far more entertaining than Found It logs. The best kind of cache, IMHO, is something that provides a unique experience. Rather than ask, "what's the best kind of cache to own", then go out and hide one that's exactly like something someone describe here, come up with something unique, or at least something that's not very common.

You've found more than 50 caches so far. What have you learned from your experience? What kinds of caches do you enjoy? What kinds of caches would you like to own and maintain for the long term? What kinds of caches would you like others to associate with you, when you meet them face-to-face for the first time at a local event?

Great point. Thanks everyone for the responses... except SwineFlew :P

I like two types of caches so far. Memorable ones have been in Portland's Forest Park because it requires a hike to get to find them and then also clever natural camo ones in the city. The park ones are good because it makes it easy to hid medium sized caches which will be fun to see what all people trade - although maintaining it will be harder because I can't just stop by every so often on my way home from work.

I own a few caches and I think the best of them have two traits; 1- Most cachers REALLY enjoy them, and 2- They don't require much maintenance.

To achieve #1 I make sure my caches bring people to places they would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there. To achieve #2 I use quality containers and hide them where they are unlikely to be discovered by non geocachers.

I think caches that finders really enjoy and require little maintenance are the best kinds to own.

You can usually tell how much people enjoy them by the logs. A lot of "TFTC" and "Found it" logs and that usually means they didn't have much good to say about it. A lot of logs of a paragraph or more usually means that they enjoyed it immensely.

Edited by briansnat

I find I get the best response on walk-in caches. Road side caches tend to just get "TFTC" logs, and as an owner they aren't much fun to read. A short walk on a nice trail is accessible enough to get a good flow of traffic, while interesting enough for people to leave decent logs.

The other option is the camo'd urban cache. Clever camouflage is usually appreciated by finders.

Great point. Thanks everyone for the responses... except SwineFlew :P

I like two types of caches so far. Memorable ones have been in Portland's Forest Park because it requires a hike to get to find them and then also clever natural camo ones in the city. The park ones are good because it makes it easy to hid medium sized caches which will be fun to see what all people trade - although maintaining it will be harder because I can't just stop by every so often on my way home from work.

Keep in mind, regular caches in the woods (hidden away from hikers) tend to be less maintenance than micros in town.

I own a few caches and I think the best type I own have two traits; 1- Most cachers REALLY enjoy them, and 2- They don't require much maintenance.

To achieve #1 I make sure my caches bring people to places they would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there. To achieve #2 I use quality containers and hide them where they are unlikely to be discovered by non geocachers.

Do those two things and you will be acclaimed as one of the finest cache hiders in your area.

This is excellent advice.

Personally, I have a larger sized micro hidden within sight of my dinning room window that has allowed me to enjoy watching the antics of my fellow cachers as they hunt for the cache which is hidden on the site of a vanishing piece of americana.

It also has allowed me to hold mini Meet & Greets with them.

Exercise Your Right (GC1MCAH)

Personally, I have a larger sized micro hidden within sight of my dinning room window that has allowed me to enjoy watching the antics of my fellow cachers as they hunt for the cache which is hidden on the site of a vanishing piece of americana.

It also has allowed me to hold mini Meet & Greets with them.

Exercise Your Right (GC1MCAH)

Not picking on you here, but I got a kick out of the term 'larger sized micro'. Looks like a fun one. :P

What do you want? Long deep meaningful logs, but you'll only get one every couple of months (if that). Or lots and lots of short logs. If you want long ones make a hard cache, lots of short ones make it super easy.

1 Long deep meaningful log is worth more than 200 TFTC's to me.

What do you want? Long deep meaningful logs, but you'll only get one every couple of months (if that). Or lots and lots of short logs. If you want long ones make a hard cache, lots of short ones make it super easy.

1 Long deep meaningful log is worth more than 200 TFTC's to me.

Great point too. I also will now be more considerate on my logs for good caches.

Of my whopping grand total of 7 caches, 6 are ones that I've placed. These are all back in the sticks, a little difficult to get to, right up there on the T-ratings for this part of the world, and folks seem to like them when they find them...about every couple of months or so. I adopted the other one, which is a very easy find at an I-70 rest stop in the Kansas Flint Hills. The original CO found a very cool spot for everyone to stretch their legs after the long drive across western KS, and I think the relaxing walk to a cool spot is what generates mostly favorable logs for such an easy cache. The better part is the cache is found two or three times a week. So even though this one's just a 1.5/1.5, it is a fun cache to own.

My 0.02.

As a CO I like to see people finding them and enjoying themselves.

with about 60 hides, I've allowed myself a couple evil micros, but the majority are fairly easy to find (which doesn't mean they don't log the occasional DNF because people can't find a cache in a 20ft circle)

Most days I receive at least one find on either of the two caches I've hidden in San Francisco. One has gone missing and I replaced, but they're popular spots for visitors to the city.

Many of my caches are in larger parks (state/county) and are found occasionally by cachers dedicated to at least a mile hike.

Whilst I don't own that many caches, one of the logs for a recent find summed up what I was trying to get from the cache;

"This is one of our favourites ever"

It doesn't matter if it's a micro or huge ammo can, the enjoyment comes from reading a successful find log and that your cache / hide / puzzle / whatever was enjoyed & appreciated. Completely agree with comments about sensible log entries - nothing worse than spending time / effort / $$ or ££ or a cache to get a TFTC as the complete log entry.