Caching on the Las Vegas strip

puddlejumper44

I may be going to Vegas in Dec. and noticed that there are a lot of caches along the strip. Has anyone cached there recently? I've been to Vegas a few times, but I just started caching so this will be my forst opportunity to try this there. I am going by myself, and only for a few days, so I don't plan on going out to the nearby canyons to cache.

I may be going to Vegas in Dec. and noticed that there are a lot of caches along the strip. Has anyone cached there recently? I've been to Vegas a few times, but I just started caching so this will be my forst opportunity to try this there. I am going by myself, and only for a few days, so I don't plan on going out to the nearby canyons to cache.

I haven't been to Vegas in a couple of years, but the few on the strip were Virtuals, a few were in high muggle areas such as the parking garages and others were a few blocks off the strip. Just be careful when walking off the strip down some of the blocks it got a bit hinky. I don't scare very easily and I was a little concerned by some of the vagrant types.

I was in Vegas a few months ago, and the ones I found weren't all that impressive. I drove out in to the Mojave desert with some grand idea of working on one of the power trails, but it turns out that the desert is really really hot, and I lost the motivation after finishing a small series of 12 :P But, I think it's worth venturing out to do a few and see the beautiful (from someone who is used to eastern forests) scenery. If you are into cheap gambling, you can visit the towns of Jean or Primm and grab a cache over the border in California, which is a short drive away.

The area away from the strip in Vegas does get seedy pretty fast as a prior poster pointed out and seem to be mostly urban micros located in the commercial-scape.

I was in Vegas a few months ago, and the ones I found weren't all that impressive. I drove out in to the Mojave desert with some grand idea of working on one of the power trails, but it turns out that the desert is really really hot, and I lost the motivation after finishing a small series of 12 :D But, I think it's worth venturing out to do a few and see the beautiful (from someone who is used to eastern forests) scenery. If you are into cheap gambling, you can visit the towns of Jean or Primm and grab a cache over the border in California, which is a short drive away.

The area away from the strip in Vegas does get seedy pretty fast as a prior poster pointed out and seem to be mostly urban micros located in the commercial-scape.

Hot! Us desert rats don't think it's hot till it hits 110. :P 100 is warm! :D

I've been to conferences in Vegas for the past two years and had a fantastic time caching. The ones around the strip, though, are really not worth the effort. High muggle, low creativity. Rent a car and go find some real caches! If you decide to do that send me an email and I'll tell you some of my favorites.

It has been a few yrs. since we cached the strip, but enjoyed it greatly. Lots of Muggles. :D

The virtuals along the strip are fun; the drive up wedding chapel cache is an only in Vegas experience; the Vegas sign is a great tourist cache. But if you can get out of town, Red Rock Canyon is beautiful; the Old Pioneer Saloon cache in Goodspring is well worth the trip - particularly if you combine it with the dry lake earthcaches near Jean; the Valley of Fire has some amazing earthcaches that should not be missed.

But during our last trip, we splurged on a Pink Jeep trip to Toroweap and the One Giant Step virtual. We were the only ones on the tour; the only ones at Toroweap - the classic 3000 foot overlook into the Grand Canyon, 60 miles from nowhere. We passed through the Virgin River gorge earthcache, the driver stopped for a traditional shortly before we entered NPS land. It was a "bucket list" type of experience, an amazing place well worth the time and money.

Edited by mulvaney

But during our last trip, we splurged on a Pink Jeep trip to Toroweap and the One Giant Step virtual. We were the only ones on the tour; the only ones at Toroweap - the classic 3000 foot overlook into the Grand Canyon, 60 miles from nowhere. We passed through the Virgin River gorge earthcache, the driver stopped for a traditional shortly before we entered NPS land. It was a "bucket list" type of experience, an amazing place well worth the time and money.

Wow! That's what I'm doing next time... Red Rocks was one of my favorite areas. Another good trip was driving up to Pahrump to visit the winery and caching along the way.

Wow! That's what I'm doing next time... Red Rocks was one of my favorite areas. Another good trip was driving up to Pahrump to visit the winery and caching along the way.

And you can continue past Pahrump to death valley. The opera house virtual along the way was fun, sime nice traditionals before the earthcaches and virtuals on NPS land.

We have generally been in the area in July and have also liked some of the caches in the Mt Charleston area. There may be snow there in December.

Edited by mulvaney

I have 16 caches you'll like. There all within 2 mile radius. Only minutes from the Strip. Check them out. Pinky is waiting for you.

Further to my last post, I'm wondering about suitable clothing for the hike. This will be Dec. 5th or 6th. Are jeans suitable for repelling prickly plants? I will be taking gloves and will have a hiking pole to poke into places I don't want to reach into blindly. Are hiking shoes OK, or should I take my hiking boots? (these are quite heavy and I don't usually wear them at home. Also, they would take up quite a bit of room in my luggage.) What about venomous snakes and spiders? Do I need to worry about them? There aren't any where I live...only bears, coyotes, and cougars! :lol:

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Further to my last post, I'm wondering about suitable clothing for the hike. This will be Dec. 5th or 6th. Are jeans suitable for repelling prickly plants? I will be taking gloves and will have a hiking pole to poke into places I don't want to reach into blindly. Are hiking shoes OK, or should I take my hiking boots? (these are quite heavy and I don't usually wear them at home. Also, they would take up quite a bit of room in my luggage.) What about venomous snakes and spiders? Do I need to worry about them? There aren't any where I live...only bears, coyotes, and cougars! :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Here's a site that shows monthly temps in LV:

http://www.lvol.com/lvoleg/hist/weather.html

It'll be fairly cool when you're there but since you're from BC, maybe that's comfortable to you.

As for snakes and spiders, there are some out there but they might be hibernating when you're there. But maybe not so definitely be careful where you put your hands.

If you're planning on taking long hikes, I would also pack enough water. Even though it's cool, you'll still need it.

I've done a few of the Red Rock caches, but none where I had to do much hiking so I can't comment on hiking shoes vs hiking boots.

You should look at going out to Valley of Fire if you are going to be here for more than a day. It's a hour or so to drive out there but well worth it. Not cached it but hiked it with my family, then found out about caching and looked and sure enough there are a few out there. Darn timing!!!

We just got back from Las Vegas. We did a series called Tin-For Good Buddy on the first day, easy caches(over 50 of them) in North Las Vegas housing tracks. We did the ET Highwayon day two (roughly 1074), got rained, hailed and snowed on, very cold. Day three saw us doing the Virtual on and around the Strip, got a dozen but that was enough. It was cold and very windy on the strip. My advice is to dress in layers and be prepared for anything. Have fun.