August 2010 Photo Competition

I really can't believe that I won last month. So here is this months competition.

Please get your photos posted on this thread before the 1st of September.

The rules are the same as the previous 6 months (have we really kept it going this long?)

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a hyperlink(s) to the cache(s) in the post. The cache(s) must be from the UK or Ireland.

The following rules are open to interpretation/flexibility/judges whim...

2) Two photos per cacher per month (give or take).

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work.

I'll try my best to post constructive comments, but I really know nothing about photography so none of my comments will be technical. I'll be judging purely on what I think is a good photo. :anibad:

Hi, Cassandy... Those are very e..x..t..e..n..s..i..v..e.. pics! Any chance you could re-size them down a bit, please?... only they're falling off the side of my monitor and hanging into my tea mug. :)

MrsB :P

:o Sorry!!!

From our camping trip in Devon going for the Earth Cache 'Saunton Pink Erratic' (GC1FGTA). After a miserable, rainy day of trails the sun came out in the afternoon for this earth cache which was an absolutely stunning (If slightly awkward!) half mile trek along these vertical ridges:

I really liked this dinosaur head someone had carved in the stone.

a1b0f286-4f60-42e0-996c-90079b6e7011.jpg

ad5cd0be-e367-4080-b196-a80bd338d715.jpg

;)

Edited by Cassandy

This cache provided some fun. 40191_10150244655520302_667165301_13991381_5858756_n.jpg

We caught the sun setting further up the path and up a steep hill! 39333_10150244636820302_667165301_13990534_3828964_n.jpg

This cache was really fun, took me and my boyfriend about 2 miles from our house to a view we didn't even know was there!!

A cow that started following us. 36666_10150228111490302_667165301_13506152_7022198_n.jpg

Me tripping up... 37594_10150228111575302_667165301_13506157_803005_n.jpg

Lovely view! 35064_10150228111685302_667165301_13506176_5824128_n.jpg

This cache was a lovely walk all the way down Birmingham canal. We were lucky the weather held up!

N'awwww! 36772_10150228111940302_667165301_13506195_3942658_n.jpg

If anything needs resizing or I've done anything wrong edit at your will! :)

Edited by HolleyR

OK - a bit of cheating here... The image upload system is rather flakey at the mo, so I've uploaded some pictures to my own website to link to. We've had a busy month, by our standards.

At Ye Olde Pitch and Putt on Walney. Taken on a Phone Camera.

DSC_0036.jpg

A bit further south - Durdle Door.

P8154486.jpg

And Finally, caching to us is about getting out as a family. And we're really proud of our littlest who climbed Hallin Fell, her first Mountain. The only assistance she got was holding her hand on the steepest bits. Here she is, with mum, at the top.

P8244682.jpg

I really can't believe that I won last month. So here is this months competition.

Please get your photos posted on this thread before the 1st of September.

The rules are the same as the previous 6 months (have we really kept it going this long?)

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a hyperlink(s) to the cache(s) in the post. The cache(s) must be from the UK or Ireland.

The following rules are open to interpretation/flexibility/judges whim...

2) Two photos per cacher per month (give or take).

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work.

I'll try my best to post constructive comments, but I really know nothing about photography so none of my comments will be technical. I'll be judging purely on what I think is a good photo. :ph34r:

As I said at the start of the thread I don’t know a lot about pictures so I will try and give some feedback, but I am afraid that it will be limited.

The Chaos Crew’s picture has in my opinion got a good use of colours. Although I suspect this may be accidental the bright foreground colours give the picture an HD effect which I like.

Cassandy’s pictures had me thinking that when I first saw the dinosaur that it may have been a mimetolith, slightly disappointed to learn that it was a carving, but a good carving all the same.

The 2nd picture of the rocks and beach had me thinking that it was a black & white picture, until I noticed the brown patches on the rocks. A very nice picture even if it was taken at a slight angle!

Given the fact that martlakes pictures were taken on an Iphone4 I am very impressed with them.

The water is such a great picture and I can make out about 5 different textures in that one close up picture.

The two butterfly pictures are superb, especially the one with the blue butterfly, the contrast of colours in that picture really do stand out.

The rock formation looks like it is some sort of vent? But the feature does look like a crocodile’s head.

The Ben Lomond by BigBlueEyes is probably a bit on the small side. I’ve found that when posting pictures to GC.com that 800 x 600 generally keeps them at a decent size and they don’t get reduced by the system when uploading. But that aside, it’s a nice atmospheric landscape picture. I like that due to it being dusk that you have that slight opaqueness to it.

Ah! Angels View by markandlynn I do like this location, but of course that’s not what this is about. I have found myself that it is difficult not to get a good picture here, as there are so many different angles that you can take a picture from. Such a dark brooding sky, did it rain soon after that?

The late evening picture by The Evil Poles makes you think that it is actually sunset, until you look properly and see that the sun is still up above the clouds. I like the way that the sun is reflecting off of the water yet making the landscape look dark and brooding.

A1nnie’s pictures of Loch Katrine and the thistle capture Scotland just perfectly. The boat adds some substance to the picture and the thistle is nicely in focus. Well I think so.

Thanks to markandlynn for sorting out the pictures so they could be displayed.

HolleyR has certainly wanted plenty of entries with her pictures. :) I’m just going to chose what I think are the best two and mention those.

I always like a sunset and yours doesn’t disappoint, although the landscape could probably be a little bit sharper? But don’t worry about my opinion as I said at the start I really know nowt about photography. :D The seven little ducklings are extremely cute, pity none of them weren’t in the water; I bet it would have made a good reflection?

Another butterfly picture this time by La Fifi. Very well done on getting so close to it without it flying off. It stands out well but it was a bit inconsiderate not to land on something with a bit more colour to give it some contrast.

The picture of the wheat field is lovely. Is the field on a slope or was the camera at an angle?

The Evil Poles panorama looks as though it has got plenty of depth and colour in it, but it is difficult to get a good feel for the picture as it is somewhat small for landscape picture.

Gackt’s early morning landscape picture is a lovely blend of colours and textures. From the dark green landscape, to the misty horizon and a lovely blue sky with a tinge of red. It makes you wish that you had been there when it was taken.

grand-moff’s group picture is lovely and clear with a lovely blue sky with wisps of clouds. What this picture says to me is the friendship and satisfaction that you get with such organisations.

murphyz’s quirky picture of the skeleton (or midget) kid is indeed spooky. Was there anyone caged up that hadn’t quite decayed yet?

WorcesterDan’s rainy view picture has trees in the bottom corner that are so sharp and clear compared to the rest of the picture, that it really does show how wet it actually is, without actually seeing any of the rain.

The Swaledale pictures by TheHappyWanderer are very good pictures indeed. Especially the picture of the farmhouse in the middle of the landscape. Lovely and bright with plenty of colour.

Guanajuato picture of the girl on the rock (or is it a hippo?) is lovely, I can just imagine her saying help me then the water is coming in? Durdle Door has got to be one of my favourite places around; I just wish I lived closer to it. And although the picture on Hallin Fell is quite dark, I like it because your youngest walked up there. The finger on the mouth makes it look as though she is saying, ‘so is that it?’

markandlynn’s next set of pictures are just starting to show off how much you do manage to get out (I only jest). If you don’t mind I’ll skip the first one’s and go straight to the last picture as it immediately made me think of Sponge Bob, classic!!

You are always certain of a good quality picture from hobgoblinkiteflier. The first picture of the ammo can is really good showing perfect colours. I think you will have to let me know the exact area it is in so I can at least try and find it. That beetle looks as though it is on the wrist of one of the girls, they never fail to impress them two as I would have freaked out if it had been my arm.

martlakes picture of the swan is just one of those perfect timing occasions. I agree it has came out well.

I do like silhouette pictures and reddeeps at Doveholes is a perfect one to. I wish I had managed to get up there when I was on holiday in the area a couple of years ago. Looks like I will just have to go back again sometime.

So who is the winner? Well for my amateurish eye it has been fairly difficult, but I recruited the help of my daughter, Cheeky Abs and she just so happened to pick the same picture as I had so this months winner is grand-moff with his close group shot. Congratulations grand-moff your turn next.

4919842900_30daa9ff75.jpg

Thanks, Haggis Hunter for judging the competition, and for your constructive comments. I'm glad you like mine!

Fantastic! Go on, give rough idea where it is. Even if it means trying all the caches in a 5 mile radius. Absolutely brilliant!

We actually met the Blorenges in the car park just after finding this cache. As they say, its beside the A9 and there are only a handful of caches within a 5 mile radius.

Looks like an Elvis fan!

Mr Snaik is very observant! It is the second hand record buyer, junior hobgbolin in the picture. And she is still adamant that she does not like Elvis!