1 Difficulty/1 Terrain DNF

Mine is this one: S-1393. I first looked for it on July 11, 2009. I finally found it, after several (5-8) attempts to find it on June 12, 2010. It is rated 1/1.5, but the .5 is only because you need to step up a curb. It haunted my dreams for months. i took several people with me to help search to no avail. When I finally found it, I could have punched myself in the face. It is (or was, because it appears the last few searchers can't find it) a magnetic key holder on a guard rail. I had found many like this in the year since I started, but somehow this one made itself invisible to me.

edit: I didn't read the last part to see you had found it. So I took out the words of encouragement.

Edited by CanDMan47

Yes, a 1/1 can be a real embarrassment when one has to log a DNF on it.

3 1/2 years of caching, well over 500 caches and a new 1/1 that I couldn't find made me ashamed of myself.

The CO, whom I go caching with occasionally, was figuring out how to compose a worthwhile taunt when I went back and found the darned thing. I had searched everywhere, including in places that would make the terrain a 2.5.

I was standing on the blessed cache!!...Lesson learned! If the CO says it's a 1 treat it like it's a 1!! Oh, and trust my GPS, the co-ordinates were dead on :anibad:

There was a cache that had nearly a hundred finds without a DNF. I don't recall if it was a 1 difficulty or not. It may have been a 1.5. My wife and I searched for a half hour, went out to eat and came back and searched for another 15 minutes to no avail. I was certain the cache was missing and logged my DNF.

Next day it was found "easily". Last time I looked mine was still the only DNF on the cache.

My most recent hide is a 1.5/1.5 at the edge of a church parking lot on the other side of a raised curb. Past the curb is wilderness and weeds. THe FTF had only 12 smilies and found it in the dark. Some other friend cachers that have thousands of smilies all over the world actually logged DNFs after several attempts. I even checked and it was still there and the coords were within 5 feet when I double checked.

Some people just run into jinxed caches I guess.

We've been geocaching for almost 3 years now. About 2 years ago we spent well over an hour looking for The Forgotten FL cache. We came up empty on this 1/1 cache. Last week we returned to find it easily. Has eveyone else ever been stumped by a 1/1 rated cache?

Oh, yes!

Commonly called 'Making it harder than it is.'

There's a few of those around here. Apparently I also have one, in Golden Gate Park - all the finder has to do is sit on a bench and look in vines behind it, but there have been quite a lot of DNFs for such a simple cache, which is not even a micro. Notice those people with four digits in finds who were still stumped by it.

Edited by DragonsWest

Okay, yeah, I'm kind of peeved about this one. A 1 / 1.5 cache, along a fenceline with nothing else upon which a cache could've been hidden. Other caches in the series were soda tubes and not difficult. A find May 20, then nothing until we visited July 31, which makes me think there *might* have been unreported DNFs in that interval.

So, three sets of persistent eyes looking, and between the three of us we've found some doozies. Two of the three were men who refuse to give up easily, meaning we spent way too much time hunting. Hint said "Low," so after consulting it we looked low. Nada. Recent landscaping might've taken the cache, so, okay, DNF.

Then, three days later, a find. :):)

We'll have to go back!

--Q

The one this made me think of was a 1.5/1.5 LPC. Looked twice, and had two DNF's. Went with a friend and she pulled out her iphone and it led her 60 feet away to another lamp post. Sure enough it was there. A ture 1.5/1.5 made more difficult by coordinates taken by an iphone.

I have a couple like this. It really annoys me when I see all of the "found easily" posts and here I am logging the DNF. So I try to ignore it for a while, find some different ones and then go back and look again at a later date.

"I'm sure it's a bison tube hanging in this tree, if only I could find something to stand on. Ah, this ammo box with green, brown and black blotches should give me about 6 inches more elevation. Oofah! Hmm. Nopes, nothing up here either. Looks like I've searched everywhere. Dang. Another DNF."

:)

I would suspect almost everyone who caches for a while will have a DNF on an easy cache. At least everyone I've talked with has said they have.

Also note that just because you are the only one to log a DNF, you almost certainly are not the only one who had a DNF. You are just the first to do the right thing and log it.

It isn't so bad to have a DNF on a cache. It does get to me a little though when the next one to find it has 4 or 5 total finds and says, "wow that was an easy one"! :)

Edited by uxorious

I would suspect almost everyone who caches for a while will have a DNF on an easy cache. At least everyone I've talked with has said they have.

Also note that just because you are the only one to log a DNF, you almost certainly are not the only one who had a DNF. You are just the first to do the right thing and log it.

It isn't so bad to have a DNF on a cache. It does get to me a little though when the next one to find it has 4 or 5 total finds and says, "wow that was an easy one"! :huh:

Especially when it's an FTF for them. :):):)

Good on them, then, they have an FTF. Everyone should have at least one. :o

I had a day where I missed a few of them. But I think the fact that I know I was dehydrated, getting sunburned, and standing around in 90 degree heat plus some humidity contributed to that. I was pretty heading into heat exhaustion territory. Went back last week and picked up all the ones we didn't find that day in record time.