QR and Bar Codes

Not a bad idea. As more people get smartphones something like this will definitely enhance the game of Geocaching.

I was having a discussion about QR codes with a colleague a couple of days ago. She had launched a pilot project awhile back that used QR codes in a few places to allow patrons of the library in which I work to capture urls about various exhibits taking place. We had set up a server which hosted those urls that we could use to capture usage stats before redirecting to the "real" web site. The amount of usage of the QR codes was rather pitiful. What prompted the discussion was a recent visit to the Worldbank in Washington DC where I saw QR codes in many places throughout the building. Trying to come up with a plausible explanation for the extremely low usage of the QR codes that we had, I suggested that if QR codes were more pervasive that they all would get used more frequently. As long as they remain somewhat of a novelty they'll only really be used by a geeky few. If they started showing up everywhere more people would install QR code readers on their smart phones. I guess it's sort of like Wherigo or chirp caches. As long as there are relatively few Wherigo or chirp caches, few people are going to spend the extra bucks on a GPS that supports Wherigo or Chirp. If they became a lot more common, a lot more geocachers would be upgrading the GPS receivers.

Sorry for replying to a different thread here, but I think it is good to keep the QR discussion here.

Anyway, I have made some flyers at work for verious things that have QR codes using the goo.le site. That lets me track whenever they are scanned. So far, I am the only person who has ever scanned one of my codes. Maybe I work with a bunch of techno-pesants. Since this is an electrical engeneering company, I wouldn't think so, but you never know...

PS. I don't like being called a geek, I perfer 'Technocrat'. :lol:

Edited by Andronicus

This one is mine

http://coord.info/GC22C3J

Found quickly by the famous FizzyMagic and sidekick TeamYofa

What did you use to generate it?

The BlotCode is cool as a puzzle, and they definatly look cool, but since almost no one can decode them, they don't seem very practical in the normal world.

It can be found using an iphone, ipad or ipod (with camera) or find someone who does have one. As you can see it was found shortly after it went live. They would have found it sooner if it weren't for their work. At least it isn't in the field. Image can be downloaded and sent to someone who has an apple product.

I love it because it looks better then the other barcodes.

Edited by jellis

This one is mine

http://coord.info/GC22C3J

Found quickly by the famous FizzyMagic and sidekick TeamYofa

What did you use to generate it?

The BlotCode is cool as a puzzle, and they definatly look cool, but since almost no one can decode them, they don't seem very practical in the normal world.

It can be found using an iphone, ipad or ipod (with camera) or find someone who does have one. As you can see it was found shortly after it went live. They would have found it sooner if it weren't for their work. At least it isn't in the field. Image can be downloaded and sent to someone who has an apple product.

I love it because it looks better then the other barcodes.

The trick is that there is only an app for iOS (iPhone etc.), and only one app. None of the "normal" code reading apps will read it. I am not critisising its use as a puzzle. I think it is great! Just don't use it in your advertising campaign and hope to get many scans.

The trick is that there is only an app for iOS (iPhone etc.), and only one app. None of the "normal" code reading apps will read it. I am not critisising its use as a puzzle. I think it is great! Just don't use it in your advertising campaign and hope to get many scans.

I was contemplating the same thing. Remember the bruhaha when the Garmin Chirp came out? Because you needed a GPS from a certain manufacturer and this was considered commercial? I don't see how this is any different.

I was contemplating the same thing. Remember the bruhaha when the Garmin Chirp came out? Because you needed a GPS from a certain manufacturer and this was considered commercial? I don't see how this is any different.

Good point, it may be a guidline violation. I didn't sign up for an accoutn with that 2D whatever site, so not sure what is available there. Can you have pictures decoded online? even so, haveting to sign up for an account is not allowed by the guidlies.

Good point, it may be a guidline violation. I didn't sign up for an accoutn with that 2D whatever site, so not sure what is available there. Can you have pictures decoded online? even so, haveting to sign up for an account is not allowed by the guidlies.

I dunno bout that. The fact that Groundspeak has a wireless beacon attribute doesn't discriminate against the chirp. Sure, lotsa listings say to bring or borrow chirps to help finding the cache. But its one of the only wireless beacon thats widely known. And its the ONLY (and I bolded, italicized, and underlined that) beacon that works for geocaching. Imagine if the only GPS in the world was a garmin 60. "Bring a garmin 60 to find the cache", no difference there, right?

Good point, it may be a guidline violation. I didn't sign up for an account with that 2D whatever site, so not sure what is available there. Can you have pictures decoded online? even so, haveting to sign up for an account is not allowed by the guidlies.

As I said you don't have to sign up for any account to decode a Blotcode so don't make accusations without knowing all the facts. Blotcode is decoded by an apple app free on iTunes.

The fact that Groundspeak has a wireless beacon attribute doesn't discriminate against the chirp.

They only introduced the attribute (together with the requirement that caches which require a chirp-capable device had to be listed as mysteries) after lots of complaints from the community. Their original stance on the subject was that caches which required a chirp-compatible device would not be allowed.

As I said you don't have to sign up for any account to decode a Blotcode so don't make accusations without knowing all the facts. Blotcode is decoded by an apple app free on iTunes.

Yup, so you need one of several specific Apple products to decode the code. Just like you need one of several specific Garmin models to receive the info from a Chirp. Where is the difference, pray tell?

Edited by dfx
The fact that Groundspeak has a wireless beacon attribute doesn't discriminate against the chirp.

They only introduced the attribute (together with the requirement that caches which require a chirp-capable device had to be listed as mysteries) after lots of complaints from the community. Their original stance on the subject was that caches which required a chirp-compatible device would not be allowed.

Yup, so you need one of several specific Apple products to decode the code. Just like you need one of several specific Garmin models to receive the info from a Chirp. Where is the difference, pray tell?

Yes I agree with that. A lot of cachers can't do Wherigos because they would have to pay more for a new GPS or Smartphone which leaves a lot of cachers out. I don' have a space shuttle either.

Of course Garmin did it to promote their new GPSs. That is progress and commercial. But it is also life. Both of my Chirp caches have alternate ways to solve them. But as part of the puzzle I'm not saying how. I want cachers to enjoy the fun of getting the signal and following the instructions just like a QR barcodse (which this posting started out as). When cachers say they don't have one I offer to go with them and they can borrow mine. Same with the blotcode. Though there are lots of Droid phones, there are a lot of iphones, ipods and ipads. Or friends who have them. Some of the finders of mine solved them by their friends who used theirs.

If you read the logs no one has complained about what you need to solve it. They just didn't know how to solve it which is why it's a puzzle.

Yes I agree with that. A lot of cachers can't do Wherigos because they would have to pay more for a new GPS or Smartphone which leaves a lot of cachers out. I don' have a space shuttle either.

The difference to Wherigo is that 1) it's a Groundspeak thing (doh), and 2) you don't need to buy/own something from a single particular manufacturer to play it. At least that's GS's rationale.

The difference to Wherigo is that 1) it's a Groundspeak thing (doh), and 2) you don't need to buy/own something from a single particular manufacturer to play it. At least that's GS's rationale.

No but then I didn't mention that I said cachers would have to buy something they don't already have. And iphone users have to use a non GS product and sign up on that before they sign up on Wherigo.

Edited by jellis
No but then I didn't mention that I said cachers would have to buy something they don't already have. And iphone users have to use a non GS product and sign up on that before they sign up on Wherigo.

Only that 1) the non-GS product is free, 2) iphone is not the only option of playing Wherigo, and 3) you don't have to sign up for Wherigo.com - it's the same account as on gc.com.

My final post on blot codes

I think they are cool. I have concerned that using one as the exclusive method of solving a puzzle may be a guideline violation. The reason is that the only way to decode them is by downloading and installing a third party app on a mobile Apple device. I am pretty sure that that is against the guidelines. As far as my comment about signing up for that site, o wonder if that is an alternate way to decode a blotcode. I didn't sign up, so I don't know. Even if it is an alternate method, signing up for a third party website is also against the guidelines.

Now back to our regular QR code programming...

My QR code travel bug t-shirt arrived in the mail. I would post a pic, but then everyone would have the tracking number. Earlier in the thread, I posted a sample pic.

Tired of beating your dead horse. I download all my QR readers from Apple so what's the difference?

The difference is that not everybody owns an Apple product, and those who don't have no way of solving the cache. Their only chance is to buy an Apple product. That's why the guidelines consider it to be a commercial cache.

Tired of beating your dead horse. I download all my QR readers from Apple so what's the difference?

I am not tired of beating your dead horse,deadhorse.gif I am tired of this off topic discussion. The great thing about guidlines vs rules, is that Groundspeak is free to make exception whenever they like. I am glad to hear that they made and exception for your cache. It is quite cool.

Back on topic: I took some pics of my QR Travel Bug T-Shirt that are not scannable. I made the art work using pixlr.com (online photoshop type site), and then made the shirt on zazzle (didn't make it public, that would be a violation of the trademarked barcode scarab's copyright rules), and ordered it off of there. The hardest part was getting the QR code centred. With the scarabe on the side, the "center" tool on zazzle would put the QR off to the side. I put a red X on the shirt, centered that, then manualy moved the QR/scarabe artwork around until the center of the QR was lined up with the X. Then I deleted the X.

8dec6a57-0554-4647-8fbf-ecdbe8c0d60f.jpg

6370c887-c60e-41da-aa7a-db1a43ac1bef.jpg

Edited by Andronicus

QR Codes and Bar code apps allow you to place a 2-dimensional coded image which can be scanned by smartphones. Once scanned the application can take you to a related website.

Many developers are building apps for this; RIM built this capability into Blackberry Messenger, Google has an app, numerous developers are chasing the iPhone and Android markets.

It looks like it is perfect for geocaching and most any other geolocation activity.

As with signing the logbook you have to BE at a place and scan the QR or Barcode, so right away that opens up many possibilities... find the hidden code in or on a cache, scan it and go directly online to leave your comment.

If nothing else they would make a great Wherigo-type experience!

It's like a hyperlink for the physical world. Want a replacement for virtual caches? Hide a QR Code sticker where traditional caches can't be placed!

Here's an example which when scanned with your smartphone will take you to The Online Geocacher Magazine.

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=5&d=...negeocacher.com

Do you see ways in which QR and Bar codes can be integrated into geocaching, and if so how?

They could make geo cards with qr codes on them.

How should I format a QR code for a particular Geocache (a "traditional cache"), so that people can hunt it? Can it be just the GC#? Or does it need to be actual coords (in which case, how do people know which cache it is)? My intention would be that people can scan a QR code someplace, to easily identify the cache and go do their cache log.

Then there are waypoints. I'd like to make a QR code with only "coords" for the next waypoint of a Multi. The online generator I found (qrifier.com) seems to only go to the nearest "address" of the coords, so the QR code is for the closest point on some street. Weird. Guess I'm doing it wrong. How do I make a good QR Code barcode for actual waypoint coords?

And for TBs, if I have a QR code on an attached info tag, can I just use the TB#?

... I'd like to make these QR codes as useful as possible for people. The advantage of a short number is bigger blocks for a scanner to read (may be easier to scan even if the code begins to fade).

(sorry if it's been answered already, I kinda skimmed five pages of replies)

Edited by kunarion

I am a tech lover, web/graphics designer and what I would do is a simple HTML. This page would have the coords listed on it so after they hit the QR code it will open their browser and the webpage that I made with the coordinates will show up. They then enter that into their GPS and proceed to the cache. OR you can link the QR code to the GPS coordinates through Google Maps.

The first idea is simple and will work as I have tested it. I have my own server and everything tested fine. The second should also work but may cross lines of Google so not sure if you need an API key or not to proceed with that one.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!

Aaron

How should I format a QR code for a particular Geocache (a "traditional cache"), so that people can hunt it? Can it be just the GC#? Or does it need to be actual coords (in which case, how do people know which cache it is)? My intention would be that people can scan a QR code someplace, to easily identify the cache and go do their cache log.

Then there are waypoints. I'd like to make a QR code with only "coords" for the next waypoint of a Multi. The online generator I found (qrifier.com) seems to only go to the nearest "address" of the coords, so the QR code is for the closest point on some street. Weird. Guess I'm doing it wrong. How do I make a good QR Code barcode for actual waypoint coords?

And for TBs, if I have a QR code on an attached info tag, can I just use the TB#?

... I'd like to make these QR codes as useful as possible for people. The advantage of a short number is bigger blocks for a scanner to read (may be easier to scan even if the code begins to fade).

How about the URL of the cache / TB?

Use coord.info to make it shorter.

http://coord.info/GCXXXXX for a cache

http://coord.info/TBXXXX for a TB - but this is just the public page. I haven't figured out how to embed the actual TB # on the coord.info page.

...Then there are waypoints. I'd like to make a QR code with only "coords" for the next waypoint of a Multi. The online generator I found (qrifier.com) seems to only go to the nearest "address" of the coords, so the QR code is for the closest point on some street. Weird. Guess I'm doing it wrong. How do I make a good QR Code barcode for actual waypoint coords?

(sorry if it's been answered already, I kinda skimmed five pages of replies)

I am a tech lover, web/graphics designer and what I would do is a simple HTML. This page would have the coords listed on it so after they hit the QR code it will open their browser and the webpage that I made with the coordinates will show up. They then enter that into their GPS and proceed to the cache. OR you can link the QR code to the GPS coordinates through Google Maps.

The first idea is simple and will work as I have tested it. I have my own server and everything tested fine. The second should also work but may cross lines of Google so not sure if you need an API key or not to proceed with that one.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!

Aaron

Check out this post from earlyer in the thread

It appears that the QR people have added another "standard" QR to the list: Geo

So several QR scanners now are built to read the Geo QR and send you to your maping app (BeeTagg is one that does). You can either find a QR encoder that does the geo format, or just do a plain txt QR like this

geo:(-)DD.ddddd,(-)DDD.ddddd

where the - is for S or W. No + is needed or N or E. As usualy, the N/S is first, and E/W is the second number.

Here is an example

afaa24f8-14d3-4c07-88c0-250dbb22e3cf.jpg

When decoded as plain text is reads: geo:51.17,-114.035 and should send your map app to N51.17, W114.035 (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=loc:51.17,-114.035&aq=&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=42.205828,78.837891&ie=UTF8&z=15)

Edited by Andronicus

My (Android) smartphone can read this GEO QR code, and redirects to a map location.

I have a puzzle cache that involves QR codes : GC2PHHJ. This seemed fair enough because QR-decryption software is free for all smartphones, plus you can take a photo and decrypt it on your PC if you prefer. Also, the cache attributes indicate 'tool required' and the description mentions 'smartphone'.

My new 'signature object' for caches is a business-card sized fridge magnet, and has a QR code on it for my GC profile URL.

Just found an app for WP7 that will do the geo: format QR codes. Quick Reader. It needs to be updated for the latest "Mango" feartures, but it does do the geo: format. As of now, none of the other scanners for WP7 will. Even one that advertises that it does, does not work (mUbiquo). It may need to be a very specific format or something, but the QR a few posts up does not work.

Can QR codes be used as a replacement for signing a log book? How do they work on this site?

NOPE Guidelines say with the exception of Earthcaches, Webcams and Virtuals all physical caches must have a logbook or logsheet or something you actually sign not virtually.

Edited by jellis

Just found an app for WP7 that will do the geo: format QR codes. Quick Reader. It needs to be updated for the latest "Mango" feartures, but it does do the geo: format. As of now, none of the other scanners for WP7 will. Even one that advertises that it does, does not work (mUbiquo). It may need to be a very specific format or something, but the QR a few posts up does not work.

I am probably the only WP7 user on this forum, but I just contacted the developers of mUbiquo. They say they have patched the geo: format QR issue, and there will be an update soon.

8dec6a57-0554-4647-8fbf-ecdbe8c0d60f.jpg

6370c887-c60e-41da-aa7a-db1a43ac1bef.jpg

Is it just me, or does the art work on the front of my shirt look crooked? Well, we will see what Zazzle will do?

Thought I should also mention that my QR TB t-shirt was indeed crooked. However, zazzle gave me a new one. Now I have one good one, and one crooked one...

Edited by Andronicus

Don't know if anyone noticed, but there is now a official QR trackable. It even hase its own icon.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=272352

QRCodeTalker-1.jpg

However, this is really nothing more tha a QR code with a short link. You can do the same thing using goo.le to link to your own TB's page (kind of like mine).

I see you can save $3 by using a trackable code you already own. May be a cool idea for a dead bug's code.

Edited by Andronicus

Recently i-nigma released its app for Windows Phone. Man it works great! Much better than the native scanner, or the LG app. And finaly, it is a app that will open a map for a geo: formated QR code. As far as I can tell, that is the first Windows Phone app to do that.

Far from tech, so I'm not sure what you're referring.

I simply hit the AT&T QR code app on my Windows7 focus and discovered #1 off the monitor, from your forums post on October last year. Thanks !

- I wouldn't have known these may spring up if it wasn't for the latest post.

I discovered this a while ago and started to work with them for fun.

I am currently making costumized QR Codes for some companies in my area.

You can see some of my work on my website (wich is outdated meanwhile, I have found better ways to costumize them by now)

www.yourqr.oyla.de

It's a german website, but you can find the pics under "Bildergalerie"

These things are cool, and you can add all kinds of extra functions, not just websites an pictures.

Edited by Otis.Gore

I have just been reading this thread with interest, and learnt a lot more about QR codes and geocaching then I ever knew before. Going to skew topic a bit here, but not track off QR codes. But I had an idea, just for those people who cache using their smart phones, as many do these days.

But wouldn't it be great if Groundspeak strated allocating a special Qr code for each cache, so if you wanted, you coudl add this to your cache somehow. Then, if you cache with your smart phone, you could just scan the code and it would automatically upload your FOUND IT! to the site. It could also automatically then open up a text box for adding in Log text for the found cache.

I think this would speed up finds, and be another way to prove you found the cache without signing the log book. Call it Pen less or pencil less caching even.

I think the way technology is going, in another ten years more geocachers will be using smart phones if they don't already. Sure there will be that minority who refuse to move with the times, so they may have to bring their own log paper in that case. But this concept could turn caching around for the better. It could make caches smaller even. CO's would still need to hide their caches, after all, not much thrill looking for a bar code stuck to a pole in the open, but i think its something that Groundspeak could implement easily, and run in in conjunction with the current system, which of course works fine.

That time you save not unrolling tiny logs and writing down your name and date could mean you get a couple of extra caches in that day.

Just my thoughts, let me know yours. I am interested to hear all opinions on this.

soupbones

But wouldn't it be great if Groundspeak strated allocating a special Qr code for each cache, so if you wanted, you could add this to your cache somehow. Then, if you cache with your smart phone, you could just scan the code and it would automatically upload your FOUND IT! to the site. It could also automatically then open up a text box for adding in Log text for the found cache.

You can do it in a number of ways without Groundspeak needing to change anything.

1. You can write an app that uses Groundspeak's API. If there's no coverage where you were, it will upload later when there is.

2. You can have a QR that automatically opens up the caching log page.

For an example of (2), try this QR code :

(image removed, blame Wet Noodle)

It should open up the logging page for Mingo and default the Log Type to "Found It". EDIT TO ADD : DO NOT LOG THIS AS FOUND UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY FOUND THE CACHE. And that means you, Wet Noodle. OK, own up, whose sock is this?

Edited by Chrysalides
But wouldn't it be great if Groundspeak strated allocating a special Qr code for each cache, so if you wanted, you could add this to your cache somehow. Then, if you cache with your smart phone, you could just scan the code and it would automatically upload your FOUND IT! to the site. It could also automatically then open up a text box for adding in Log text for the found cache.

You can do it in a number of ways without Groundspeak needing to change anything.

1. You can write an app that uses Groundspeak's API. If there's no coverage where you were, it will upload later when there is.

2. You can have a QR that automatically opens up the caching log page.

For an example of (2), try this QR code :

It should open up the logging page for Mingo and default the Log Type to "Found It".

Wouldn't you know it: http://www.geocachin...97-1030210f0fcd

Wet Noodle Found Mingo smile.gif

Chrysalides said it's OK to find this from 800 miles away. (visit link)

Edited by knowschad