QR and Bar Codes

qrcode.png

English isn't encrypted either, but it is used for more than "cute messages".

The real streangth of QRs is easely transfer person from the printed media domain to the mobile web domain instantly. Or from the stationary web to the mobile web domain.

Think: a cool bilboard add that made you want to buy that geocoin advertised on it. It had a large QR code. You scan the code with your phone, and wala, you are on the website to purchase the geocoin. When the seller is sold out, they change were the link takes you to a page where you can designe your own coin.

Or an add for a movie: the link takes you to a page that will sell you tickets, give you directions to the nearest theater, and has a sweet trailer.

Or, my recent cache has a QR that will take you to the cache log page, pre-selected to the found it log type.

Wow, I am just now getting into this thread and have learned quite a bit. I've been thinking about creating a signature items when I saw this.

I have been playing around with an iPhone app, and thought a good application for GC would be to have a QR code on a cache page, along with the .gpx and .loc file. By scanning the qr code, it could automatically load up in my geoaching app on my iphone. Save a little bit of time when I want to download something from work or when I am not on my computer to load up .gpx files.

Or is that not possible?

Wow, I am just now getting into this thread and have learned quite a bit. I've been thinking about creating a signature items when I saw this.

I have been playing around with an iPhone app, and thought a good application for GC would be to have a QR code on a cache page, along with the .gpx and .loc file. By scanning the qr code, it could automatically load up in my geoaching app on my iphone. Save a little bit of time when I want to download something from work or when I am not on my computer to load up .gpx files.

Or is that not possible?

Sounds like a perfect use. The QR would link you to the GPX. You could then download it and open it in the Geocaching app. You could actualy do that on your own cache pages now.

Does anyone know the address of the gpx file. I tried www.geocaching.com/GCxxxxx.gpx . Didn't work.

e5e313bf-2fec-4af1-a926-8f75b2a27e73.jpg

Check out this QR. It is using the goo.le URL shrinking tool. I just put the rediculously long url of the google map I wanted to share into goo.le, and then made a QR of the shortend code by adding .qr to the end of the shortend url. This is actualy the site of my dauters cache.

Here is another that actualy shows the coordinates etc.

831d8c17-771b-4887-b450-5bb30c0fbc66.jpg

From your phone, it may open the mobile version of google maps. this will likely frack things up. change your browser settings to show the desktop version.

Edited by Andronicus

From your phone, it may open the mobile version of google maps. this will likely frack things up. change your browser settings to show the desktop version.

From my Android phone, it gave me the option us opening it in the Map app or in the web browser. I chose the browser and it worked great.

From my Android phone, it gave me the option us opening it in the Map app or in the web browser. I chose the browser and it worked great.

Sweet, what happens if you open it in the Map app (google maps?)

My WP7 will open it in the web browser. If the web browser is currently set to "Mobile" it goes all funny.

The maker of the good QR scanner for WP7 is planning to add map support (after I asked him to).

Wow! I just tried it, with the bottom barcode. It looks even better (and loads even faster) in the Map application than it does in the browser.

Sprint Evo 4G, Android 2.2 OS, QuickMark barcode software.

Frack things up? I love it. I only have four episodes left after having a 3 week marathon of watching all five seasons of Battlestar Galactica. I thought it'd be stupid but I love it.

Frack things up? I love it. I only have four episodes left after having a 3 week marathon of watching all five seasons of Battlestar Galactica. I thought it'd be stupid but I love it.

There were some pretty bad episodes, but over all it was good.

The other great thing about goo.le is that it tracks how often the link gets used. So I can see when and how often my QR is scanned.

So, technically speaking (no pun), should these be rated as a 5 difficulty since you need extra equipment to solve? It may be moot because I have seen plenty of caches that require the use of Google Earth or some other program to get the correct coords.

No. You don't need a smart phone. Any camera phone will work (discussed previously in this thread). Or is that is not convenient, email the QR to GO@SPARQ.IT. They will return the e-mail with the decoded stuff (whatever is encoded in the QR).

I've been thinking of doing a QR code cache, and have one nearly ready to go. Whilst doing, I found a neat program that works well to read and generate QR codes.

Go to www.QuickMark.com.tw and download the relevant program there for FREE! It also offers apps for various platforms. The Windows program will either read an image through a hole in its own window, or will link to your webcam so you can hold it up. Translation from QR code to usable text is instant. Would be great to see some more of these types of caches, as I've not done any yet.

FJ

Wow! I just tried it, with the bottom barcode. It looks even better (and loads even faster) in the Map application than it does in the browser.

The second one worked better for me, HTC Ozone, WM 6.whatever, i-nigma reader. Only gave the "Go online" option though.

The second one worked better for me, HTC Ozone, WM 6.whatever, i-nigma reader. Only gave the "Go online" option though.

That appears to be a i-nigma "feature". I wonder if any of the other WM QR scanners will open up google maps?

It appears that the QR people have added another "standard" QR to the list: Geo

So several QR scanners now are built to read the Geo QR and send you to your maping app (BeeTagg is one that does). You can either find a QR encoder that does the geo format, or just do a plain txt QR like this

geo:(-)DD.ddddd,(-)DDD.ddddd

where the - is for S or W. No + is needed or N or E. As usualy, the N/S is first, and E/W is the second number.

Here is an example

afaa24f8-14d3-4c07-88c0-250dbb22e3cf.jpg

When decoded as plain text is reads: geo:51.17,-114.035 and should send your map app to N51.17, W114.035 (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=loc:51.17,-114.035&aq=&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=42.205828,78.837891&ie=UTF8&z=15)

It appears that the QR people have added another "standard" QR to the list: Geo

So several QR scanners now are built to read the Geo QR and send you to your maping app (BeeTagg is one that does). You can either find a QR encoder that does the geo format, or just do a plain txt QR like this

geo:(-)DD.ddddd,(-)DDD.ddddd

where the - is for S or W. No + is needed or N or E. As usualy, the N/S is first, and E/W is the second number.

Here is an example

afaa24f8-14d3-4c07-88c0-250dbb22e3cf.jpg

When decoded as plain text is reads: geo:51.17,-114.035 and should send your map app to N51.17, W114.035 (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=loc:51.17,-114.035&aq=&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=42.205828,78.837891&ie=UTF8&z=15)

I'm really loving this thread, its just too cool! i-nigma reads out the "geo:51.17,-114.035", but doesn't show anything else. Maybe I should find another QR reader for WM 6.5, but this one kinda works so I like it. Cheers

I'm really loving this thread, its just too cool! i-nigma reads out the "geo:51.17,-114.035", but doesn't show anything else. Maybe I should find another QR reader for WM 6.5, but this one kinda works so I like it. Cheers

i-nigma seems to have the best decoding engine, but so far, doesn't seem to have all the 'profiles' (don't know what the official term for these verious content types are called, so for now, I will call them 'profiles'). If you try scanning some of the cool designer QRs (like my avitar or some of the ones earlyer in this thread), a lot of the scanner apps will not read them. i-nigma seems to do the best.

Edited by Andronicus

So, technically speaking (no pun), should these be rated as a 5 difficulty since you need extra equipment to solve? It may be moot because I have seen plenty of caches that require the use of Google Earth or some other program to get the correct coords.

No. You don't need a smart phone. Any camera phone will work (discussed previously in this thread). Or is that is not convenient, email the QR to GO@SPARQ.IT. They will return the e-mail with the decoded stuff (whatever is encoded in the QR).

As an interested bystander in this converstation, I would welcome an official ruling on this.... would this 'officially' considered to be required to use special equipment?

verry interesting. on my BB tour i have BeeTagg and i-nigma. betagg works more often, but still terrible. have yet to get i-nigma to work. just updated it will give it a go as soon as it boots up.

i have been using http://www.onlinebarcodereader.com/ on the PC to read the QR codes.

right now i am in the process of a switch from alltel to ATT due to the buyout. will be getting a samsung captivate so i have been reading lately about apps for android. barcode reader and ixMAT barcode scanner get high marks on androidcentral forums.

i like the idea of adding a QR to a cache to log from smartphone that way on the spot. just gotta have a cache big enough. in some areas that is not an option with all the micros. we are pretty good here though. or mayb it is we look for bigger caches?

Monty

QR Codes and Bar code apps allow you to place a 2-dimensional coded image which can be scanned by smartphones. Once scanned the application can take you to a related website.

Many developers are building apps for this; RIM built this capability into Blackberry Messenger, Google has an app, numerous developers are chasing the iPhone and Android markets.

It looks like it is perfect for geocaching and most any other geolocation activity.

As with signing the logbook you have to BE at a place and scan the QR or Barcode, so right away that opens up many possibilities... find the hidden code in or on a cache, scan it and go directly online to leave your comment.

If nothing else they would make a great Wherigo-type experience!

It's like a hyperlink for the physical world. Want a replacement for virtual caches? Hide a QR Code sticker where traditional caches can't be placed!

Here's an example which when scanned with your smartphone will take you to The Online Geocacher Magazine.

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=5&d=...negeocacher.com

Do you see ways in which QR and Bar codes can be integrated into geocaching, and if so how?

I'm very familiar with the QR codes but if they are using a Smartphone why would they need to scan the Code if they could just to to log the cache on an app with a click of the button

I'm in the process of re-launching a couple of travel bugs that have come up missing. I'm going to be attaching a QR code that directs to their pages. Why? I read here often theories about how it's the smart phone users with free apps that don't understand some of the finer points of the game- trackables included. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I thought this might help steer them in the right direction. Or not.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I'm in the process of re-launching a couple of travel bugs that have come up missing. I'm going to be attaching a QR code that directs to their pages. Why? I read here often theories about how it's the smart phone users with free apps that don't understand some of the finer points of the game- trackables included. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I thought this might help steer them in the right direction. Or not.

Post a picture of it when you have it ready!

http://wap.geocaching.com/ is the main page

idk if it remembers passwords though. or if you link to something if it will remember that page after you log in like the regular page does.

reason i mentioned the wap page is it takes so dang long for the regular page to load on my BB tour. using vzw towers on my alltel phone. as soon as the buyout is done it will be att using a captivate, but that is not an option right now.

Monty

Here is a sample of a logo I am planning to make into a trackable T-shirt (for personal, Non-Commercial useage in order to meet the logo usage rules) (don't worry, this QR is not my bugs tracking number, it is just a sample). The QR uses the "Level H" mentioned in my previous post, so lots of masking can be tollerated. i think I will try to make the edges of the TB logo transparent so it looks a little less pasted in.

d44b2fe6-8369-41e0-958a-cb12d8d660df.jpg

Edited by Andronicus

Here is a sample of a logo I am planning to make into a trackable T-shirt (for personal, Non-Commercial useage in order to meet the logo usage rules) (don't worry, this QR is not my bugs tracking number, it is just a sample). The QR uses the "Level H" mentioned in my previous post, so lots of masking can be tollerated. i think I will try to make the edges of the TB logo transparent so it looks a little less pasted in....

Here is my impoved one.

5c3a2bca-64f4-4000-a2b0-b959618b4021.jpg

Edited by Andronicus

One small note of warning on putting QR codes in multi-stage caches (and maybe these are obvious, but anyway):

1. Make sure your container is watertight

2. LAMINATE OR PROTECT THE QR CODE!

Spent 3 hours this weekend rigging a line into a tree only to eventually climb the tree (70 feet) to find the QR code at the top was on basic copy paper, was wet, and unreadable by our devices. Luckily we know the CO and were able to send him a quick photo of the soggy QR code to get the next stage's coords. Kinda makes ya grumpy, though, regardless. Especially when you're up a tree and find out.

:sad:

As an interested bystander in this converstation, I would welcome an official ruling on this.... would this 'officially' considered to be required to use special equipment?

Are you willing to consider a laymans opinion instead?

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that a cache with a QR code should have a 5 star terrain rating because it required "extra equipment". First, the cache rating sites use the phrase "specialized equipment" rather than "extra equipment". Specialized equipment has typically included things like scuba equipment, climbing equipment, or use of a boat. I wouldn't consider a smart phone specialized equipment, and a camera phone isn't even necessary to decode a QR code. Any camera can be used to take a photo of the image, and then the image can be sent to one of various online QR code decoding websites to extract the information. In order to participate in this game everyone needs either a computer (to access the site and download waypoints) or a smart phone. The only piece of extra equipment necessary to decode a QR code is some sort of camera.

This could be a fascinating twist to the game. I just wanted to let you know that I have had very poor results with my Palm and the two apps available to Palm users. The Palm's camera is very poor. I was only able to decode a few. :sad: