Anyone carrying SPOT for safety reasons?

You know, SPOT. http://www.findmespot.com/en/

For those who cache alone, this might be an option to get help if you fall and can't get up. I plan on getting one for my trips on my bike, and for a cruise next year. If I go into the "bush" around here, I might take it then, too.

Has it been released? The last I heard it was not allowed in the US due to non-compliance with FCC regulations.

You know, SPOT. http://www.findmespot.com/en/

For those who cache alone, this might be an option to get help if you fall and can't get up. I plan on getting one for my trips on my bike, and for a cruise next year. If I go into the "bush" around here, I might take it then, too.

Has it been released? The last I heard it was not allowed in the US due to non-compliance with FCC regulations.

Really? Sports Authority sells them locally here. I know some lady bikers have them for when they tour

I do the usual safety stuff. I let people know where I'm caching generally speaking via local landmarks etc. Then I let my mom who is familiar with caching know which caches I will be going after if I'm alone.

I also bring my cell phone with me to caches. I don't really want to carry around anymore technology.

I do the usual safety stuff. I let people know where I'm caching generally speaking via local landmarks etc. Then I let my mom who is familiar with caching know which caches I will be going after if I'm alone.

I also bring my cell phone with me to caches. I don't really want to carry around anymore technology.

That's all fine and dandy until you realize the last cellphone signal you had was 30 miles ago. :-)

More expensive than most GPS receivers and just an extra gadget to carry.

bittsen- how many times in the last 2 years have you and I been subjected to news reports of lost hikers on Rainier, Adams, Hood, etc, that went up without a transponder, or didn't return when expected?

Get bogged down in an area without a cell signal, and its great to have SPOT to let your contact back in the land of communication know that you're ok, or send a msg out that you need help.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

That's all fine and dandy until you realize the last cellphone signal you had was 30 miles ago. :-)

bittsen- how many times in the last 2 years have you and I been subjected to news reports of lost hikers on Rainier, Adams, Hood, etc, that went up without a transponder, or didn't return when expected?

Get bogged down in an area without a cell signal, and its great to have SPOT to let your contact back in the land of communication know that you're ok, or send a msg out that you need help.

People survived outdoors for thousands of years without GPSRs, or SPOTs. The tried and true option that I use whenever I go on any remote hikes is: Leaving my intinerary with my wife and dad (Coordinates, a topo map, and area where I plan on going.) I also carry full survival gear in case something goes wrong.

People survived outdoors for thousands of years without GPSRs, or SPOTs. The tried and true option that I use whenever I go on any remote hikes is: Leaving my intinerary with my wife and dad (Coordinates, a topo map, and area where I plan on going.) I also carry full survival gear in case something goes wrong.

That is really great to know. Thanks for sharing.

And setting such a wonderful example for others.

Edited by Team Cotati

Try reading "98.6 Degrees, the Art of Keeping your A#$ Alive," by Cody Lundin.

And for your snarkiness, here is a partial inventory of what I keep in my bag.

th_Gear--bag.jpg

Try reading "98.6 Degrees, the Art of Keeping your A#$ Alive," by Cody Lundin.

And for your snarkiness, here is a partial inventory of what I keep in my bag.

th_Gear--bag.jpg

WOW!!! That right there is a truly impressive bag inventory. Thank you.

I really appreciate your suggested reading also. I bet that it is very informative and helpful.

But, I'll still borrow my Son's SPOT gizmo if I ever venture out into the wooly wilds. I mean, if that is alright with you.

There recently was that little blondie stuck in the middle of the Indian ocean. Her fanny gots into deep deep yogurt. She had a freaking ton of survival stuff with her. She was quickly rescued because she had a working radio and one or more of those locator thingies with her.

Don't know if Darwin was involved but fer dad-gummed certain, technology was.

BTW, one thing that I haven't heard about. When they rescued blondie, they left her boat bobbing around out there. Has anyone recovered it yet?

Edited by Team Cotati

People die every year because they are out in the wilderness.

No amount of technology will cure the Darwinian aspect of life.

True, but when rescue operations go up Mt Hood and the person didnt have a locator beacon with them, I bet you're on the side of the majority of Portlanders/Oregonians that b!tc# about how the person should have had their locator beacon with them.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

So how many times have you gone past the return-time you gave your relatives? Any time that they said they were about to call local authorities to start a search? SPOT fills the gap of letting people know you're fine if you go beyond your return-time, without starting the search.

"People survived outdoors for thousands of years..."

How much of your survival gear is made of new materials or from new ideas that weren't around when John Muir was out climbing and hiking just over 100 years ago?

Maybe you should leave all the new stuff at home and just go with the "tried and true" equipment that he had, nothing else.

(removed non-sequitur comment)

Edited by bramasoleiowa

After a heart attack my daughter presented me with one and requested that I carry and use it.

WELL TO BE HONEST IT WAS MORE OF A DEMAND / THREAT:

It was a nose to nose, toe to toe confrontation where she in all of her attorney verve INFORMED me that Spot and I shall henceforth be inseparable.

Why on earth did I insist that she grow up strong, independent and have the ability to articulate exactly what was on her mind.

Children, who on earth made them the boss?!?!?!

True, but when rescue operations go up Mt Hood and the person didnt have a locator beacon with them, I bet you're on the side of the majority of Portlanders/Oregonians that b!tc# about how the person should have had their locator beacon with them.

Nope. I don't care if they carry a beacon or not. I don't know if the emergency beacon has saved any lives on Hood or not because you only hear about the ones who dont make it.

If I were hiking to the top in "iffy" seasonal conditions, I would carry a beacon but the one time I headed to the top (and didn't make it) it was in June and I didn't have a beacon. I did survive though so I guess it's a moot point.

Nope. I don't care if they carry a beacon or not. I don't know if the emergency beacon has saved any lives on Hood or not because you only hear about the ones who dont make it.

If I were hiking to the top in "iffy" seasonal conditions, I would carry a beacon but the one time I headed to the top (and didn't make it) it was in June and I didn't have a beacon. I did survive though so I guess it's a moot point.

You only hear about the one's that don't make it? I presume that the 'you' in that sentence is literal. And while I can't speak for Mt. Hood, I can tell you that several times a year, I do in fact hear about mountain and coastal rescues. You probably do too but that wouldn't help your argument. There are light aircraft crashes ever once in a while. Every one of those aircraft are outfitted with ELT devices and every report always references how the searchers are trying to get a lock onto that signal.

Trying to argue that emergency locator beacons do not reliably save lives and facilitate rescues around the world every year, is ridiculous on the face of it.

Edited by Team Cotati

You only hear about the one's that don't make it? I presume that the 'you' in that sentence is literal. And while I can't speak for Mt. Hood, I can tell you that several times a year, I do in fact hear about mountain and coastal rescues. You probably do too but that wouldn't help your argument. There are light aircraft crashes ever once in a while. Every one of those aircraft are outfitted with ELT devices and every report always references how the searchers are trying to get a lock onto that signal.

Trying to argue that emergency locator beacons do not reliably save lives and facilitate rescues around the world every year, is ridiculous on the face of it.

Who is arguing that emergency locator beacons don't save lives?

If you want to know a fact about me, I was designing a very inexpensive emergency locator beacon when they fisrt came out. Unfortunately my technology was a little behind the times and, even though my beacon would still work, it was deemed to be less effective than the newer generation. Forget that my beacon would have a $5 price tag, those expensive ones have more support.

I was inspired to get SPOT after reading a cacher's rescue story. I can't find his log right now but there's a summary posted 2/2/09 on this page: http://satellite-messenger.com/en/spotnews..._mcal_year=2009 .

The lesson of Ed's experience is that you can get into serious difficulties very close to civilization. Where the mountain is makes no difference to the fact that it's a mountain.

And the helicopter plan costs something like US$7 a year.

If you want to know a fact about me, I was designing a very inexpensive emergency locator beacon when they fisrt came out. Unfortunately my technology was a little behind the times and, even though my beacon would still work, it was deemed to be less effective than the newer generation. Forget that my beacon would have a $5 price tag, those expensive ones have more support.

Police whistles go for that much these days, huh? Whodathunkit?

I want one. I do a lot of free-ride mountain biking, and if I ever broke something out in the middle of nowhere it would be hours before any help came looking for me. They're good for other things too, and having one in my car would be nice (since cell coverage is patchy here).

Police whistles go for that much these days, huh? Whodathunkit?

Yes, they do but that's not what I had going.

Just to shed some light, even though I know you were knowschadding me, the device I was creating had a strobe that flashed SOS and also pulsed SOS on a wide band radio frequency. Anyone who was "listening" would have heard "clicks" in an SOS format. At night you would be able to see the strobe.

The FCC had issues with the wide band radio signal. It was considered a transmitter and not approved despite the fact that it would save lives and that ANY rescuer would be able to access the signal without specialized receivers.

All of this was inspired by a friend who had a friend go overboard (and subsequently died) while attempting to cross the Columbia Bar a couple years ago.

Not with at&t: funny, but irrelevant. The places where you want SPOT, no cell phone will work (maybe you don't do back country caching).

SPOT is not as expensive as a GPS. Basic SPOT is $120 Canadian. Of course there is the annual fee. That is why I don't have one. I probably should though.

There is the other issue of sky view. In a canyon or gully, it may not work, and there is no positive indication of a successful message transitions.

Not with at&t: funny, but irrelevant. The places where you want SPOT, no cell phone will work (maybe you don't do back country caching).

SPOT is not as expensive as a GPS. Basic SPOT is $120 Canadian. Of course there is the annual fee. That is why I don't have one. I probably should though.

There is the other issue of sky view. In a canyon or gully, it may not work, and there is no positive indication of a successful message transitions.

Setting aside your dismissive tone, this is very relevant.

Having hiked in many remote areas in the US through my work with BSA (SD, AZ, NM, CA, etc), it is rare there is no signal.

The point that was being made is that for the majority of people, and all of the people a majority of the time, SPOT is not needed. If you can afford it, great, go get it. However there are tools you most likely already have or that are more useful in other ways as well that you can spend your money on.

As pointed out, many of the areas where you may find SPOT useful, due to it's line of sight dependence it would not work either. Better to learn what to do either through classes or the many good books out there, one of the best which has already been mentioned in this thread.

Edited by baloo&bd

Having hiked in many remote areas in the US through my work with BSA (SD, AZ, NM, CA, etc), it is rare there is no signal.

The point that was being made is that for the majority of people, and all of the people a majority of the time, SPOT is not needed. If you can afford it, great, go get it. However there are tools you most likely already have or that are more useful in other ways as well that you can spend your money on.

As pointed out, many of the areas where you may find SPOT useful, due to it's line of sight dependence it would not work either. Better to learn what to do either through classes or the many good books out there, one of the best which has already been mentioned in this thread.

I do aggree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. As for the cell phone coverage, your idea of remote must be a little different than mine.

While we're on this discussion....what other types of emergency locator equipment/services are available.

I often cache (and travel) way,way far out of cell phone communications. Heck last week I drove a single lane 'road'...hey, it was on my backroads map...for over an hour without seeing a single sign of human life (that's over 40 kms). Had I even had something as simple as a flat tire I would have been stuck, possibly overnight until someone came along. Yes, I carry emergency gear all year round in the van, but still.

Finding someone to go hiking with me isn't always possible or desirable. Leaving my travel information with an elderly mother who worries when I go to the grocery store :ph34r: is NOT a plan!

I'm seriously interested in something that will enable me to summon the required help to get me out of a tight spot if'n I ever get into one and still leave me free to explore this world on my terms.

What is out there!!

Finding someone to go hiking with me isn't always possible or desirable. Leaving my travel information with an elderly mother who worries when I go to the grocery store :ph34r: is NOT a plan!

Thank goodness. I was starting to think I was the only person here who likes to hike alone but has someone that cares about them.

It's a real issue and SPOT addresses it.

One of the guys in my party summiting Mt St Helens' crater rim on Saturday was with the guy who fell into the crater back in February. He said they were extremely lucky that 1 out of 5 cellphones was able to pick up "1 bar" ("bar" definition isnt standard in the cellular communication industry) and able to make their emergency call. He seemed enamored with my SPOT. Most of the cellphones in my party didnt have signal at the summit. We traveled with 3 or 4 radios spread through the group.

Taking issue with a comment earlier that you have no idea if your msg goes through: with the SPOT I you do have an indicator that a msg goes through based on the flashing light sequence. Supposedly SPOT II and the PN-60w SE have a greater message feedback.

oh- here's my SPOT's travel map from Saturday:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/v...3LmDLbb6HrAPqyK

Taking issue with a comment earlier that you have no idea if your msg goes through: with the SPOT I you do have an indicator that a msg goes through based on the flashing light sequence. Supposedly SPOT II and the PN-60w SE have a greater message feedback.

Based on Wikipedia (which is never wrong...), SPOT 1's blinky light indicates message sent, not a positive indication of reception. SPOT 2 I have not resurched.

I do aggree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. As for the cell phone coverage, your idea of remote must be a little different than mine.

Tell me about it.

SPOT envy.

Edited by Team Cotati

I was inspired to get SPOT after reading a cacher's rescue story. I can't find his log right now but there's a summary posted 2/2/09 on this page: http://satellite-messenger.com/en/spotnews..._mcal_year=2009 .

The lesson of Ed's experience is that you can get into serious difficulties very close to civilization. Where the mountain is makes no difference to the fact that it's a mountain.

And the helicopter plan costs something like US$7 a year.

While reading the story you linked to I noticed that on 2-26-09 Dave Ulmer commented about his spot.

I know of one cacher that could have used one. He was lucky he got a phone signal when he fell and broke ribs and his face. Another cacher was in the SAR team but it was almost dark and they were having a difficult time finding a safe route to him.

He was eventually helicoptered out.