I am leaving geocaching......

Call me jaded if you wish, but I really see this thread as no more than another trolling attempt. Perhaps the most successful yet. The string section was particularly soulful, and had exactly the intended effect... drama. Too much drama, very typical of the rest of the OPs threads.

Hi! My name is HUK and I work in a dysfunctional mental health setting. (Hi, HUK!)

Today was one of the worst days at work in my 30 year career.

I want to thank you all for giving me some great reading to take my mind off the events of the day!

To the OP: I had pretty much stopped responding to your threads cuz I felt kinda bad about saying mean things to you. But I really enjoyed this thread! I like that you talked honestly about yourself instead of criticizing others (and then denying that that was what you were doing.) Geez, I can even imagine caching with you and talking about real stuff.

One more comment: I work with adolescents. Many of them feel suicidal because of a breakup. I always think, Wow! If I got suicidal every time a girl broke up with me, I would be extremely dead by now!

Just sayin'...

WOW!!! What a post. I can't believe I ate the whole thing, I mean read the whole thing. Maybe that was what was supposed to happen. Well it worked. Sorry for whatever happened between you and your ex. I don't think I have ever read any of your other posts, and from what I've heard maybe I'm glad I didn't. Who knows. What I do know is that it sounds like you have some issues that need to be worked on.

Concerning the volunteers and all of that stuff, and them not getting paid, well that's your opinion. Unless one of them posts something to let us know otherwise we won't really know. Personally I don't care if they get paid or not, that's not what I am in it for. I'm in it for the fun with my family, or all by myself. Yes, I do have fun no matter which way I cache. Although I do prefer to cache with my wife or kids. From what I've read the people who are reviewers are asked to do it. As someone else stated they don't wave their hands in the air and ask for it. Also, if they felt they should be paid, and were not, then I think they would find something else to do.

I don't know why your caches have been declined, but obviously there was a reason. And it seems as if you have had more than one declined. If you can't obey the speed limit get off of the road. BTW, when your cache was declined did you contact them and ask in a resonable way why it was declined stating that you would like to know so that in the future it won't have to happen again?

I'm sure your a nice person, and that others would enjoy caching with you. You will have to decide what you're going to do about leaving or not. Take the advice given earlier and take some time off. It will do you a load of good. Also, when and if you do get back into it find some really nice medium or large caches to look for. You will ultimately make it what it is. If you go at it with a bad attitude well then it will be bad, but if you go out with an attitude of having fun then you can experience true fulfillment. Life is not a bed of roses, sometimes there will be some thorns, and they will hurt. But don't let them stop you, move on through them carefully and you'll make it to the other side where the BIG cache is. Remember, people will let you down, but it's always God who can lift you up again. I know from personal experience. No I'm not getting all spiritual, but I thought a little encouragement might help. For HE is always an encouragement to me. Take care and make your choices wisely. They will truly make a difference in your life.

I like that you talked honestly about yourself instead of criticizing others (and then denying that that was what you were doing.)

+1

I find it hard to dislike ashnikes, and I'm glad he's reconsidered his geocide. Yes, he splats his emotions all over the forum, and posts some things we might consider trolling. But he shows amazing self-awareness for someone his age, and he reads and considers what others say and has often acknowledged they influenced his thinking. He's admitted he was wrong on a few occasions. With a bit more emotional self-control and maturing, I think he's going to become an amazing adult.

Plus, it sounds like he places caches worth finding. We need more of that.

Cache on, ashnikes!

Edited by hydnsek
Call me jaded if you wish, but I really see this thread as no more than another trolling attempt. Perhaps the most successful yet. The string section was particularly soulful, and had exactly the intended effect... drama. Too much drama, very typical of the rest of the OPs threads.

That was my suspicion as well. Whatever... I'll continue to ignore his more provocative posts, though I must admit his newer posts are not quite so in-your-face.

Im trying here, but ive got several things against me,

first off, im a guy, so 99% of what i say and believe is probably stretching the truth, if not total out right bull. this also means i have a flaming desire to fix stuff, in this case a game of geocaching.

second, im young, 26 to be exact, therefore im not wise yet right? nuff said.

third, outside forces take adverse effects on my mental stability, and i take no precautions, i tend to enjoy the ride with my hands out of the coaster, this is by far my biggest flaw.

some days i have a bad attitude, some days i have a great one, dont we all though?

and as far as events, i just got invited to one, oddly enough it was sugested to me in the same sentence as mentioning my ex would be there, unknowlingly to the person who sugested it she was my ex. Well... i think ill pass on that one, which is unfortunate, because apparently there was a geocacher (get this) who i offended with one of my rants some place or another, and he will be there, and wanted to meet me, him and his good friend. I would have loved to meet them, but after all this forum stuff, i doubt i could face her, she would probably beat me up.

alls fair i suppose, maybe ill flip a quarter, cause ide like to go to an event, but i dont want to run into her,

Come on, you people are too smart for this, don't be sheep! He's not going anywhere, as much as we wish he would. This is just another one of his cries for attention.

So how's that spill in the gulf going? :anibad:

Anyone here about the bomb squad being called for a cache found here in KY? Really think people should put better labels on them to make sure it is known to be a cache. Maybe put the GC number on it with instructions to find it on the site, to verify it is a cache and not a bomb.

Edited by EddieB606
I just made several peoples day, by what? leaving some treasure in the woods near my house

In case anyone in the future asks, you can officially tell them "I get it now!". :anibad:

Welcome back, Amigo!

Plus, it sounds like he places caches worth finding. We need more of that.

That was my thought as well. So many of his peers in the Orlando area give no more thought to hiding a cache than tossing a film can in some Burger King shrubbery. (Not that that's bad, if tedium is what you enjoy) Judging by his cache pages, Ashnikes puts a lot of thought and feeling into his hides, which is a character trait I think should be encouraged.

maybe ill flip a quarter, cause i like to go to an event

Dude! To heck with the quarter! Just go! If you run into her there, that's all good. You can show her that you've reached the acceptance stage and you've moved on with your life, holding no ill will toward her for her decision. Smile, shake her hand, and wish her well. Events are an awesome part of this game, which I hope you'll embrace.

A couple of things...

The point that ashnikes makes about spending time with other hobbies is a good one. I have made a decision myself to scale back the amount of time I spend geocaching as how I was playing the game has kept me from enjoying a couple of other hobbies (sea kayaking and flyfishing). I don't know how serious the relationship he had was but keeping busy with a hobby you enjoy is probably one of the best ways to cope.

I also have been pretty uninspired by local geocaching so most of my finds in the last several months have been while traveling. In fact, when I finally hit the 1000 finds milestone awhile back, the only caches that I have found have been out of state.

It sounds like focusing on hiding, and adapting how he plays the game will allow ashnikes to continue to participate in a hobby he for the most part, really enjoys.

26? I was off by a good 9 years. That's it. I QUIT!!!

On a more serious note, my own fits of boyish enthusiasm for new activities, hobbies, projects, whatever, is often quashed and labeled as immature. Enthusiasm is NOT immature. But flaming and trolling on online forums is.

I was going to say, "Ni!!" here, but I took a look at that on yootoob last night, and I didn't think it was all that funny. My boyish enthusiasm was quashed a bit. But I ended up watching clips of Pee Wee's Playhouse, laughing myself silly and remembering when I used to drag myself out of bed on hungover Saturday mornings (as a 20-something with a moderate drinking problem) for a dose of Pee Wee.

This post has nothing to do with leaving or not leaving geocaching, but I'm at work with nothing to do, so I'm surfing the forums and keeping an eye over my shoulder for the boss.

A couple of my friends in Orlando just found one of ashnikes' caches and really enjoyed it. Good job. I think this proves my point: stop spending so much time on the forums, stop worrying so much about trying to fix something pretty much nobody else thinks is broken, and spend more time finding and hiding caches!

I volunteer because I am passionate about helping other people and about promoting this great sport ... Want to know a secret? That is the same reason why the Lackyes love their jobs. They love working to serve the geocaching community. The OP has no concept of the depth of that love of the game and the commitment of the Lackeys ...

Understanding it is not fair to judge an entire group by one person, my encounter with a "Lackey" does not support your claim. He was a jerk and the last straw for me. But then, I do know someone else who had a comparable experience, so I see a pattern emerging. One thing is for sure though, I can judge the Lackey crew on what they have created ...

Lots of crappy caches is the basic model for Geocaching.com and that is a sad reality for those of us who hoped for, even expected, something more. Of course, there are some OK caches and, every now and then, a memorable cache but that is about it.

Take a look at the last 100 caches posted within ten miles of your home and you'll be lucky to find five that are worth a trip. Many of us are happier to hike and bike trails without wasting time searching for and logging into a crappy cache.

Sometimes, we will unretire and find a cache or two, here and there, or due to some character flaw or undiagnosed mental illness, we may waste some time browsing the forum, but never again will we pay money or invest our energy in the placement or maintenance of caches. That anyone in this forum would show disdain for the loss of such people speaks volumes for the future of this game.

If someone wants to say the Lackey crew has adopted the crappy cache model because it makes the most business sense, and because it generates the most profit, I can buy that. On the other hand, I don't know how much "love of the game" you can have if your efforts promote and encourage spew while, at the same time, discourages those who seek to raise the level of quality.

First off, welcome back. There's nothing like a day to think it through and realize the world keeps turning, is there?

Now for the free advice:

Im trying here, but ive got several things against me,

first off, im a guy, so 99% of what i say and believe is probably stretching the truth, if not total out right bull. this also means i have a flaming desire to fix stuff, in this case a game of geocaching.

third, outside forces take adverse effects on my mental stability, and i take no precautions, i tend to enjoy the ride with my hands out of the coaster, this is by far my biggest flaw.

some days i have a bad attitude, some days i have a great one, dont we all though?

and as far as events, i just got invited to one, oddly enough it was sugested to me in the same sentence as mentioning my ex would be there, unknowlingly to the person who sugested it she was my ex. Well... i think ill pass on that one, which is unfortunate, because apparently there was a geocacher (get this) who i offended with one of my rants some place or another, and he will be there, and wanted to meet me, him and his good friend. I would have loved to meet them, but after all this forum stuff, i doubt i could face her, she would probably beat me up.

alls fair i suppose, maybe ill flip a quarter, cause ide like to go to an event, but i dont want to run into her,

Come on man, being a 26 year old guy is not having the deck stacked against you. 26 is plenty old enough to learn to get along with the rest of the world. "Outside forces" have "adverse effects"? Life IS the effects of outside forces. It's how you handle life that determines your adversity.

Sounds like your have already landed on your feet after you recent breakup. Move forward. Go to the event, meet this other cacher and if you have made her mad (with reason) say you're sorry and make a new friend. Who knows who will be at the event? You might even find a new geo-romance? Just have fun.

Understanding it is not fair to judge an entire group by one person ... blah, blah, blah ...

Such a happy out look on life, but I guess that happens when you don't take your meds. This isn't still about that thing where you felt the guideline did not apply to you, is it?

A little side note to the conversation - it's interesting how relative age is, sometimes I think it's kind of funny when I hear what people think is "young" or "old". When my husband was 26, he was married, had a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and owned his own business and a home. :signalviolin:

I volunteer because I am passionate about helping other people and about promoting this great sport ... Want to know a secret? That is the same reason why the Lackyes love their jobs. They love working to serve the geocaching community. The OP has no concept of the depth of that love of the game and the commitment of the Lackeys ...

Understanding it is not fair to judge an entire group by one person, my encounter with a "Lackey" does not support your claim. He was a jerk and the last straw for me. But then, I do know someone else who had a comparable experience, so I see a pattern emerging. One thing is for sure though, I can judge the Lackey crew on what they have created ...

Lots of crappy caches is the basic model for Geocaching.com and that is a sad reality for those of us who hoped for, even expected, something more. Of course, there are some OK caches and, every now and then, a memorable cache but that is about it.

Take a look at the last 100 caches posted within ten miles of your home and you'll be lucky to find five that are worth a trip. Many of us are happier to hike and bike trails without wasting time searching for and logging into a crappy cache.

Sometimes, we will unretire and find a cache or two, here and there, or due to some character flaw or undiagnosed mental illness, we may waste some time browsing the forum, but never again will we pay money or invest our energy in the placement or maintenance of caches. That anyone in this forum would show disdain for the loss of such people speaks volumes for the future of this game.

If someone wants to say the Lackey crew has adopted the crappy cache model because it makes the most business sense, and because it generates the most profit, I can buy that. On the other hand, I don't know how much "love of the game" you can have if your efforts promote and encourage spew while, at the same time, discourages those who seek to raise the level of quality.

Are you building up to another geocide that will quickly be retracted? Cause, you know, that would be two in one week!

I suspect it's just whining though. I can't even give it a 2 - maybe 1.5.

Who is "us"?

Shoulda just stayed retired.

Come on man, being a 26 year old guy is not having the deck stacked against you. 26 is plenty old enough to learn to get along with the rest of the world. "Outside forces" have "adverse effects"? Life IS the effects of outside forces. It's how you handle life that determines your adversity.

I agree... but maybe I was raised differently than most people in my generation. At 26 (two years ago for me) I had owned my own business for two years, had been married for four, and had been self-sufficient for ten.

I find that people are growing up later and later. I guess we're all different, but I do see some common trends amongst those of my generation. I know people my age who are still being taken care of by mommy and daddy... to me 26 is almost 30.

Anyhoo, this isn't on topic, and ashnikes it's nothing against you personally, really. I know that we all do things at a different pace, but come on man, being 26 is awesome! Live life to the fullest. I know it sounds trite, but it is said for a reason, once you can learn to love life and live life happily without being in a relationship, then you'll find the relationship that works best for you. Why? You'll know exactly what you want. Worked for me!

That anyone in this forum would show disdain for the loss of such people speaks volumes for the future of this game.

So, are you showing disdain for the loss of such people, or are you just showing disdain for such people? That's the part of his rant that I couldn't parse.

Other than that, what I'm getting is the whole "if I don't like something, it must be crap to everyone" thing all over again. Which explains his use of the plural personal pronoun.

Edited by Chrysalides

I'm confused. Reviewers (I assume that's what you mean by Lackeys) do not choose nor evaluate caches, locations, contents, styles or anything else. They read the submitted cache listings and, if the listing meets the Guidelines, publish the listing.

How do you then get that the ills against which you rant are in any way the fault of anyone but the cache owners?

Your post shows a total misunderstanding of how this game works and as such deserves DISDAIN!

I don't get all of this...

I think it's only healthy to reconsider one's participation in any activity from time to time (we programmer/analysts call this a Feasibility Study.) Spouting of about how the world (or a subset of the world) is out to get you or how it's just not fun anymore may be cathartic, but aside from saying "Good-Bye" (is this a "Bad-Bye"?) to one's mates and acquaintances, it looks more like a cry for a sympathetic ear.

OK, do what you feel is best. Maybe take a hiatus for a while. Cache a different area. Take up Waymarking or Letterboxing.

I'll stick with caching while it continues to be fun.

Some people seem to enjoy the attention from crawling out on a ledge of a tall building and stand there while a crowd gathers.

Some people in the crowd seem to enjoy shouting "Jump! Jump!"

To echo what the police normally tells the crowd, "Nothing to see here. Move along." Especially when the person has gone back into the building.

I'll stick with caching while it continues to be fun.

Can't think of a better advice than that.

Let's leave him alone about it. Everyone screws up.

He's been told that if he changes his ways he will be accepted. Fair enough, I haven't seen him cross the line since we explained that.

If after this he continues to troll, criticize and provoke then he's fair game!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm confused. Reviewers (I assume that's what you mean by Lackeys) do not choose nor evaluate caches, locations, contents, styles or anything else. They read the submitted cache listings and, if the listing meets the Guidelines, publish the listing.

How do you then get that the ills against which you rant are in any way the fault of anyone but the cache owners?

Your post shows a total misunderstanding of how this game works and as such deserves DISDAIN!

Having owned 75 caches and found close to 500 I think I understand the game quite well.

The system is set up to encourage placement of thoughtless caches while discouraging those who seek to raise the bar. I never mentioned reviewers. I understood the term "lackey" to refer to the GC.com staff - the people who make the rules - the ones who, from what I have observed, show no appreciation for the paying customers and hard working cache owners without whom they have no business.

While I don't know many people who have had discussions with anyone above the reviewer level, those who have all report the same lousy experience. We are not malcontents as some ignorant souls in this forum would like to suggest, we are people who invested time and energy to build quality caches and we paid money for premium memberships, and we are doing so no more. Am I to blame the good cache owners who are leaving or the lackeys who drove them away?

As I said before, the folks at GC.com have every right to develop whatever business model they wish for whatever reasons they wish but I don't see any evidence of their "love of the game," unless the game we are talking about is micros on lamp posts and ho hum caches with McDonald's toys.

That anyone in this forum would show disdain for the loss of such people speaks volumes for the future of this game.

So, are you showing disdain for the loss of such people, or are you just showing disdain for such people? That's the part of his rant that I couldn't parse.

Other than that, what I'm getting is the whole "if I don't like something, it must be crap to everyone" thing all over again. Which explains his use of the plural personal pronoun.

All I was saying is that if geocaching makes him so unhappy he should just maintain his "retired" status. Problem solved.

Having owned 75 caches and found close to 500 I think I understand the game quite well.

The system is set up to encourage placement of thoughtless caches while discouraging those who seek to raise the bar. I never mentioned reviewers. I understood the term "lackey" to refer to the GC.com staff - the people who make the rules - the ones who, from what I have observed, show no appreciation for the paying customers and hard working cache owners without whom they have no business.

While I don't know many people who have had discussions with anyone above the reviewer level, those who have all report the same lousy experience. We are not malcontents as some ignorant souls in this forum would like to suggest, we are people who invested time and energy to build quality caches and we paid money for premium memberships, and we are doing so no more. Am I to blame the good cache owners who are leaving or the lackeys who drove them away?

As I said before, the folks at GC.com have every right to develop whatever business model they wish for whatever reasons they wish but I don't see any evidence of their "love of the game," unless the game we are talking about is micros on lamp posts and ho hum caches with McDonald's toys.

Ah! OK, my bad, let me fix it...

I'm still confused. Lackeys do not choose nor evaluate caches, locations, contents, styles or anything else. They build and maintain a system to list geocaches. If the listing meets the Guidelines, Reviewers publish the listing on the Lackey's listing website.

Your post shows a total misunderstanding of how this game works and as such deserves DISDAIN, and refusing to admit that you are wrong deserves RIDICULE!

PS: To the bolded part - I've met a number of our Reviewers and most of the Lackeys. You could not be more wrong about them.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!

I just don't think this is true... I've met four lackeys personally and they were all very nice enthusiastic people. And within 100 miles of my home there are TONS of wonderful caches... I think that the GC staff DOES appreciate cachers/cache owners, and I've not seen anything to the contrary.

How did you approach the lackeys when you spoke to them? Did you present the same attitude you display here? Because to me you seem cynical and bitter.

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with caching, but it seems like you're basing your opinion off of personal reaction than on fact.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

No offense ashnikes, but I would have never guessed you were older than me. (I turn 26 in a few months).

I cache alone 90% of the time, and have found myself in one or two not so good spots. But it's more likely that something happens to me driving then caching. At first I was real tentative about going to meetings, but you'll find most people are good cachers. And I know cache with 2 or 3 others on a regular basis.

Your hides look pretty good (never know until you visit), and the comments look overall good. Maybe not everyone is happy, but you can never please everyone.

My caching philosophy is simple. Have fun. Don't worry about others, or numbers, or anything like that. I know too many people who stress out about what others think and are in a race over numbers. That doesn't sound fun to me.

Same goes for hiding. I hide caches that I would like to find, and make the cache pages unique and educational. I hope others get something out of my caches other than just a smiley, but I can't worry too much over cachers who don't.

The system is set up to encourage placement of thoughtless caches while discouraging those who seek to raise the bar.
In what way? The system seems pretty neutral to me. Some cache owners place thoughtless caches, and as long as they're within the guidelines, the system publishes the listing. Some cache owners place very thoughtful caches that raise the bar in various ways, and as long as they're within the guidelines, the system publishes the listing.

darn, 227 posts, that's one long stretched geocide!

Geocide is so on the decrease that over 200 of them probably have no idea what Geocide is. And only about 5 people have rated it. In the past, half of the first 100 posts would rate the Geocide on a 1 to 10 scale. All the key elements were there, along with a zany rant about The Frog not paying the reviewers. I kind of like it, and will give it an 8.5. However, I don't believe he's really going to do it. See you at Geowoodstock 2011, Ashnikes. :signalviolin:

emmett, your post is off-topic for this thread. If you wish to carry on a discussion about that subject, please do so in another thread.

This goes for everyone else responding to emmett's post.

I think it's only healthy to reconsider one's participation in any activity from time to time (we programmer/analysts call this a Feasibility Study.)

It's also called open source software. I've developed quite a bit of it and volunteered my time for 8 years to help support an open source (primarily enterprise scale software for higher education) organization. I didn't get paid a dime, but I learned a tremendous amount from others in that community.

emmett, your post is off-topic for this thread. If you wish to carry on a discussion about that subject, please do so in another thread.

Which begs the question, how can this thread continue to be on topic?

OP declared intent to geocide. After attracting enough attention, and in less than 24 hours, declared he changed his mind. That should be the end of the thread, shouldn't it?

OP declared intent to geocide. After attracting enough attention, and in less than 24 hours, declared he changed his mind. That should be the end of the thread, shouldn't it?

Works for me. Anything else would be piling on or off topic, eh?

Jump, thread, jump!

'I refuse to prove that emmett's posts are off topic' says Mom, ' for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'

'But' says the little blonde boy ' The post is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not appeared by chance. Since the post is a dead giveaway it proves it exists and therefore by your arguments it is not off topic. QED'.

'Oh dear,' says Mom, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly hits the lock button.

Sorry to see you go ashnikes. Unfortunately you live in an area that is WAY over done with "Micro Spew".

Come on up to Southern Indiana and enjoy some of the terrific well hid Woodland caches. (Both ammo cans and YES some Tupperware in the woods.) There is also a ton of caches only accessible by boat (kayak, canoe, motor boat).

There is a terrific group of cachers up here in the area. People from all walks of life. Airline Pilots, Police Officers, Doctors, Lawyers.......etc. And all these people have different personalities. I think you would fit right in with the people in this area. So if you ever get up to Southern Indiana give me a holler, I'll show you some "must do" caches in the area.

Have a good life and good luck in your future endeavors.

K.C.

Same here in utah. Utah is reffered to as the melting pot or the culmination of all nations, and also as the the land of opportunity. We have almost every kind of element and climate here, and you would not believe what opportunities you would have here, even with all the crappy hides that are done over and over again between all the actually really great hides. I feel for you. THat is why I try to do as many creative(!) and original hides as I can. Thanks, sorry to see you go, sorry that not manby people will learn a good lesson from all this. :wacko::D:(:signalviolin::P