Shared FTF

Whenever I am caching with someone and we get a FTF together both of our logs we put that we Shared the FTF together. Or that we were together and got the FTF. Worded like that some how. Also I see other peoples logs saying that they got a shared FTF with up to 3 cachers together. The other day I did this with a caching friend and got this email a few days later:

I see you and (insert cachers name here) are both claiming a FTF. There can only be one to get a FTF. Work it out between the both of you and decide who wants the FTF and change your log accordingly. Thanks.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on this? I did edit my log so it actually says "Shared" in it.

Thanks

Whenever I am caching with someone and we get a FTF together both of our logs we put that we Shared the FTF together. Or that we were together and got the FTF. Worded like that some how. Also I see other peoples logs saying that they got a shared FTF with up to 3 cachers together. The other day I did this with a caching friend and got this email a few days later:

I see you and (insert cachers name here) are both claiming a FTF. There can only be one to get a FTF. Work it out between the both of you and decide who wants the FTF and change your log accordingly. Thanks.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on this? I did edit my log so it actually says "Shared" in it.

Thanks

I'd leave my log stand. Cache owners can get as angsty as they want but the FTF is not an official GS statistic.

Thanks

I would have ignored it.

Personaly, I do not believe in shared FTF. My (at the time) 8 year old dauter made the find on our first FTF. She clamed it, and my log had me crying that she beat me. The next FTF attempt, I didn't bring her along. Wouldn't want to get beaten out again.

But since FTF isn't a Groundspeak game, there are not rules for posting or logging it on their geocaching website. Everyone can do it however they like.

Already well established that there are neither rules nor protocols for claiming FTF, hence you can "work it out" any way you want to.

You can write "FTF" in every log on every cache you find if you want to. Then, if the CO or someone complains, you are fully within your rights to ignore them, or you can explain that it means it was the "First Time (I) Found (this cache)" and go about your business.

For me, if there is a group caching together on a so-called FTF hunt and we all participated materially in the find, then all participants should claim a "CO-FTF" (that's how we term it 'round our parts). I've done this even when I was hunting a cache and some other cachers showed up after me, joined in, and I actually found the cache first. I told them that since we were all participating in the hunt and had been sharing thoughts about the cache listing and such, that we were all CO-FTF. And they even logged the cache as such.

If the CO deletes your log because they didn't like an acronym you used, simply report that to Groundspeak HQ as the CO is not authorized to delete valid find logs. GS can reinstate the log and spank the CO for you.

Edited by SSO JOAT

As the name implies, we cache as a family. Our first (and only so far) FTF was shared with another guy. He was at GZ when we got there, but hadn't made the find. We joined the hunt, and after some time, I pulled the hint, which told us we had to climb. He started up the tree, and I spotted it from the ground, and guided him in. He offerred to share with us, as he may not have gone high enough without the guidance (container was about 35' off the ground), and he knew I'd have been up the tree eventually had we (the family) been the only cachers there. Since he climbed the tree, risking life and limb, we happily told him to keep the FTF prize ($5 in this case).

As has been said, I think it all depends on if you are involved in the hunt. If it was a team effort, then the team should get credit. If you were there, drawing circles in the dirt, it's prolly not right for you to claim a part of it. But, as has also been said, this is a game. Play it the way you have fun, so long as it doesn't keep others from having fun as well.

Later!

While there are no guidelines, FTF means 'First to Find". Only one person can be First. The other is second. When I cache with caching partners, one or tother of us would claim FTF. Depends who found it.

But, in the modern world of entitlement, everyone and anyone can claim it! There are no standards anymore. Which is sad.

Ignore the CO, like most of the entitled world does. Question: Which of you found it first?

While there are no guidelines, FTF means 'First to Find". Only one person can be First. The other is second. When I cache with caching partners, one or tother of us would claim FTF. Depends who found it.

But, in the modern world of entitlement, everyone and anyone can claim it! There are no standards anymore. Which is sad.

Ignore the CO, like most of the entitled world does. Question: Which of you found it first?

The only sense of "entitlement" here is a CO that believes they can dictate this to someone as they both most probably found it together.

To the OP: A couple, group, etc can most certainly "find" something together. That said, it is a personal thing as, to many of us, there is no difference between first and thirty second to find. As such, wherever you record it whether it be in your database or online profile you both can list it as FTF with whatever pride it brings.

Ignore the CO, if they delete either or both of your logs, contact a lackey to have it reinstated.

I've only been co FTF on one cache. I arrived about 30 seconds before the other person, but because my DH has a habit of driving past where I'm telling him to stop and I was using my cell phone that day which was flip floping me across the street. (We'd stopped on the other side to let it settle first but when we first arrived on that side it put it back on the other. Grrrrr) I had to pause to let it catch it's breath and point me in the right direction. Although I was pretty sure of where that was. The other person whipped in and got out just as I reached where they parked. We started walking together and both pointed and said it's under there (or something to that effect) at virtually the same time. It was the only logical hiding place in a landscaped area. The other guy might have been able to jump out at the same speed he whipped in to the parking lot and made a run for it to beat me to FTF. Or I might have taken off as fast as I could when I saw him coming and I might have managed to beat him, but really I am not a FTF hog anyway and only found this one by sheer chance. As in I decided to see if there was anything near on my cell phone and as I was telling my DH there is one a few 10's of a mile away got that way, I checked the logs to see it hadn't been found. Why wouldn't I share the FTF? Why would a CO care? And what would they do if neither of us was willing to cede that the other person found it first? Many times it really is a group effort to find one. Is it fair because I said I'll look in the pipe from this side and you look from the other to choose the FTF based upon who got the lucky side? How about who stood on who's shoulders to reach it when the stronger person actually spotted it first? Or 1000 other reasons why you did it together. Hopefully the CO didn't realize that you were trying to share it and was worried about that. But if that was the case the logs would tell the real story and the CO could just look at them and clear it up. No way would delete my FTF under these circumstances.

The only sense of "entitlement" here is a CO that believes they can dictate this to someone as they both most probably found it together.

The CO neither dictated, nor deleted aything. The CO seems to have suggested that 'first' is 'first'. If 'second' is also 'first', then so is 27th? They may have been together, but, in most instances, one found it first. The other was second. Simple common sense and understanding of what the word 'first' means? Myself, I do not dither with two people claiming an FTF. But when I'm caching with others, whoever fnds te cache first is FTF. If my caching partner finds it first, then he or she is First to Find. First is first. Anone else is not first. Hey. I was second to find on a cache the other day. It was a week later. Should I claim FTF under your guidelines? When did Second become First?

I can't for the life of me imagine why a cache owner would give a clam's paootie.

Your entitelment position would make sense if 2 cachers showed up and got into an argument about which one was FTF and both logged it because they felt they were entitled to it, but didn't agree that they found it together.

When 2 or more caches hunt a cache together and find it together and decide together to log a FTF, there is no entitlement involved.

It's great that you and your caching partners separate it up and only one claims the find. But that does not make it wrong for 2 other cachers to decide to share FTF bragging rights if they so choose.

Either way, it's not really the cache owner's business unless he's in the habit of posting who is FTF as a reward and he has 2 or more cachers disputing the claim.

I can't for the life of me imagine why a cache owner would give a clam's paootie.

Me neither. I'd totally ignore the email, not even dignify it with a response, if it were sent to me. Not that this would ever happen, as I'd never "claim" FTF or Co-FTF or whatever on a cache page. Sounds like the CO is imposing his interpretation of the "rules" on you, for a non-recognized sub-game that has no rules anyways.

The only halfway good reason I can fathom for the CO to care whether you claim a shared FTF or not is that the CO wants to put a blurb on the cache page congratulating the FTF and he doesn't want to list you both.

If you want to try to stay on the good side of this CO, you could sent him a nice e-mail back saying that you both found it together, complimenting the hide (if appropriate), maybe saying that the shared FTF means something to both of you as it was a team effort, etc., that you don't mind if he doesn't write any congratulatory blurb on the web page if that's what he's concerned about, and that you hope he understands. Something like that. A polite response on your part might keep the CO from deleting the logs (which you could certainly get reinstated but would be irritating to say the least and might be a source of future strife for you and this CO). Just a thought.

I have never bought into the whole co-FTF thing. I figure someone has to be second.

Recently, a cache was found in this area that had 5--count 'em, 5 co-FTF claims. Someone had to stand in line before they could have all found it.

One FTF, everyone else gets there later.

They may have been together, but, in most instances, one found it first. The other was second. Simple common sense and understanding of what the word 'first' means? Myself, I do not dither with two people claiming an FTF. But when I'm caching with others, whoever fnds te cache first is FTF. If my caching partner finds it first, then he or she is First to Find. First is first. Anone else is not first. Hey. I was second to find on a cache the other day. It was a week later. Should I claim FTF under your guidelines? When did Second become First?

So what if the two cachers spotted the cache at exactly the same moment, they both grabbed the container together, they grabbed the log sheet at the same time tearing it in half and each signed their half as the other was signing theirs.

I can never quite understand the language cops, who have made such a precise definition of words like first and find that they freak out at any suggestion the can be two first to find. The worst are those who have identified the signing of the log book as the specific instant that cache is found so that it clear who is first to find. By this definition a cacher who has found the cache, retrieved the container, and removed the log book relinquishes all claims to FTF if the hand the log book to another cacher to sign first.

If it weren't for puritans silly definition of "find", they would not be much angst that some cachers decide to share FTF honors. It is only complicated to understand the concept of sharing FTF when you have a silly definition of what it means to find a geocache.