FTF prize-2 smileys

Something I've been considering is awarding 2 smileys to the FTF. Anything in the guidelines to say not to? I don't get too excited about a FTF because it is worth 1 smiley-but 2 smileys just might get my attention.

This is just too sad to comment on. :rolleyes:;)

Hard to say. Before the ALR change (you can't have additional requirements in order to log a find), it was common in some areas to see cache owners award bonus smileys for certain accomplishments at the cache. My guess is that the ALR change doesn't effect this. So long as anyone who finds the cache and signs the log can log one find on the cache, I don't suppose that Groundspeak cares what extra smileys you give out. However, it could be that if you are giving away extra smileys, TPTB will say you have to give them to anyone who has found the cache and signed the log whether or not they were FTF.

What I'm more sure of is the response you will get just for asking this on the forums. I've no doubt that the puritans will find the mere suggestion of a bonus smiley an anathema. You will be mocked for suggesting it and any FTF silly enough to claim the prize will likely end up in the "Found It = not found" thread. Personally I don't see what the fuss is all about. Should someone who doesn't agree with bonus smileys be FTF on your cache, I assume they will log only one find on it and you would not delete that find just because they don't want to participate in your meaningless reward.

Edited by tozainamboku

Something I've been considering is awarding 2 smileys to the FTF. Anything in the guidelines to say not to? I don't get too excited about a FTF because it is worth 1 smiley-but 2 smileys just might get my attention.

Great suggestion, but don't forget a Smiley for every stage of a Multi. And extra Smileys as the D/T ratings get higher. And extra Smileys for moving TB's and Coins. And extra Smileys for Milestone caches. The possibilities are endless. Why just hike to a dumb old cache that doesn't give you sufficient bonus. There isn't any fun in that.

Personally, I feel that 1 GC code should equal 1 and only 1 "find". As such, I would have to reject your idea.

But, I would have to admit - there is nothing stopping you from allowing as many finds on your caches as you are willing to tolerate from any finder(s). As silly I as I find that notion.

Hard to say. Before the ALR change (you can't have additional requirements in order to log a find), it was common in some areas to see cache owners award bonus smileys for certain accomplishments at the cache. My guess is that the ALR change doesn't effect this. So long as anyone who finds the cache and signs the log can log one find on the cache, I don't suppose that Groundspeak cares what extra smileys you give out. However, it could be that if you are giving away extra smileys, TPTB will say you have to give them to anyone who has found the cache and signed the log whether or not they were FTF.

What I'm more sure of is the response you will get just for asking this on the forums. I've no doubt that the puritans will find the mere suggestion of a bonus smiley an anathema. You will be mocked for suggesting it and any FTF silly enough to claim the prize will likely end up in the "Found It = not found" thread. Personally I don't see what the fuss is all about. Should someone who doesn't agree with bonus smileys be FTF on your cache, I assume they will log only one find on it and you would not delete that find just because they don't want to participate in your meaningless reward.

Now I wouldn't mock him. The poor guy's first post, and he felt need to edit it, although you can read what it was in post #2.

A reviewer would have to chime in, but I believe you can still award "bonus smiley's" all you want. Unheard of in my parts, but I've been surfing the listings in a certain Mid-Western State for several months for a long planned mini-vacation, and I've stumbled upon 7 or 8 caches that award bonus smileys for doing stuff. Not sure about the publication dates vs. the death of ALR's though.

I think the responsibility to prevent boggus logs could be a YES to your question (that is Yes, the guidelines say not to). Clearly the person did not find it twice, so 2 "Fount It" logs would be boggus. (remember that my definition of "find" is to locate something that was priviously in an location unknown to you, so you realy can't find a cache twice).

my definition of "find" is to locate something that was priviously in an location unknown to you,

snipped

So what if the Cache has had its location changed ???? it is now at a location Unknow to you, does this mean you can go and find the unknow location and sign the log and claim another smiley.

:cry::)

the CO probably could do that, but it can't be a rule; how could GSP track FTFs? They could track the first person to log online, but if (as usually happens) 7-8 people find it in the first day, then it's unlikely that the first online log will be the first physical log

Actually I placed a cache on my front lawn - and have found it nearly 4000 times already. Who needs to leave home to go geocaching?!

This years goal is to visit my lawn 5 times daily so I can rack up the numbers and overtake the provincial leaderboard!

my definition of "find" is to locate something that was priviously in an location unknown to you,

snipped

So what if the Cache has had its location changed ???? it is now at a location Unknow to you, does this mean you can go and find the unknow location and sign the log and claim another smiley.

Yes, when a cache is moved or changed to make it an intrinsically different find then most owners will allow cachers to find it and log it again.

snipped

Good point! I think there was a thread about that already today (actualy, I started it).

If you want to give out extra smilies, how about adding something like this to the swag?

or perhaps a badge

25mmsmiliemed.jpg

All very smiley and guaranteed not to provoke any long, angsty forum topics. :)

MrsB

Now that's a great idea! I think I will track down something like that to use as a FTF "prize"

snipped

Yes, when a cache is moved or changed to make it an intrinsically different find then most owners will allow cachers to find it and log it again.

It is my opinion that if a cache changes that significantly it should get a new listing. That is the way it usually works around here.