Geocaching Cake

A couple of weeks ago was my brother's birthday. Among other things, we went geocaching.

For one reason or another, my dad did not have time to get his birthday cake ready, then we decided to wait until my aunt was here to visit so she could enjoy it.

So we had it tonight. It's rather cool. He's proud of it, especially since it is his first time working with fondant.

29411_1341648794552_1631168484_850945_228063_n.jpg

This is the top of the cake. He had me bring down our Garmin as a model. On the left side of the cake is a little hill. The frosting is homemade buttercream - the brown is chocolate, yummy. There is a little cache hidden somewhere in the cake. Can you find it?

Hint: Sbyybj gur neebj

No coordinates available, because the cache is already gone! *grins*

29411_1341648834553_1631168484_850946_1709347_n.jpg

Did you look in the bottom right corner? A mini Snickers bar for my brother's enjoyment. [sorry for the blur, it's the only image I have]

Those were both really cool and creative. I would love either one of those for my next birthday but I have decided I am no longer going to have birthdays. Therefore I will stop aging.

Seriously though, Excellent job by the cake makers.

Edited by brslk

As an experienced cacher and foodservice professional (you thought that forum title was just for laughs?) I spotted the UPF (Unusual pile of frosting) immediately in the first pic.

That was a great idea, and I'm sure lots of fun. And bonus points for making real buttercream instead of taking the easy canned lardfilled way out! :ph34r:

I suspect we might see a few more geocaching cakes posted to this thread with all of the 10 Year events taking place this weekend. But you got to post yours first.

I love fondant!

My daughter made an ammo can shaped cake for an event we attended.

She can't stand store bought fondant, so she makes her own.

37a3c51e-a894-409f-b5e5-7ac35797a253.jpg

Great idea. My wife saw this and said that is what we should have made for our next event! Need more pictures!

The TYE that we went to today has a sheet cake with the TY logo on it but I don't have a picture. Just a sheet cake. No big deal. :):ph34r:

Under-Neat-That-Cake.jpg

The TYE that we went to today has a sheet cake with the TY logo on it but I don't have a picture. Just a sheet cake. No big deal. ;):unsure:

Under-Neat-That-Cake.jpg

<happy sigh> I love CakeWrecks. : )

I though the same thing about the original OP cake ("it's buried!") but I think it's absolutely awesome and clever. And the ammo can cake is wonderful!

My fiance can make some amazing fondant cakes. We are going to an event later this month. Maybe I will have her make one!

But can she make the fondant taste good? I've never seen that in almost 30 years of playing with food. :P

I've heard of a marshmallow based fondant but I haven't tried it.

My fiance can make some amazing fondant cakes. We are going to an event later this month. Maybe I will have her make one!

But can she make the fondant taste good? I've never seen that in almost 30 years of playing with food. :D

That's what my daughter uses for making fondant. Pretty yummy! Not sure what that crap is you buy premade.

But can she make the fondant taste good? I've never seen that in almost 30 years of playing with food. :wacko:

That's what my daughter uses for making fondant. Pretty yummy! Not sure what that crap is you buy premade.

A none food product?!?! Or at least that's what I've always assumed. :D