what do I do in this situation?

katster

My sister and I went nuts this weekend, finding 20/24 caches in four counties in one weekend here in the great Central Valley of California. Unfortunately, at one site, we discovered not only the cache but also a bunch of eight-legged bloodsucking fiends -- yup, ticks. I got bit, too. I posted a note to the log noting what we had found, as it was going to take me a bit of time to log the found it, and somebody else jumped on the thread to confirm that yes, they had found ticks at the site too.

The cache owner deleted my note, my found it, and the other person's concurrence.

As I would think this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed, where do I go next to get somebody to add the proper warning? I contacted Groundspeak, but I'm not sure that's the best answer. And what do I do if I get in this situation again? My thought was, by posting it publicly, I could let folks know they needed to be aware of the situation. Do I mail the cache owner instead? Do I email him now, asking why he deleted my logs?

So I guess I'm asking what the proper etiquette in this situation would be, as I'm still a newbie and don't know what to do. (And I admit, I'm slightly annoyed at losing my smiley for finding this cache, but I'm more concerned about the safety issue.)

-kat

Did the cache page have this attribute? ticks-yes.gif

There's nothing you can do to force the CO to mention that. You can get Groundspeak to reinstate your "Found It" log if you did sign the physical log. My suggestion is just to relog with "TFTC" and move on.

What does TFTC mean?

There's nothing you can do to force the CO to mention that. You can get Groundspeak to reinstate your "Found It" log if you did sign the physical log. My suggestion is just to relog with "TFTC" and move on.

No, it didn't, which was part of the reason I was trying to warn folks. I guess I'll just leave it be, but I'll admit that it bugs me. Ticks are no fun at all.

And yes, my sister and I both signed the physical log. It was as we were there signing it that I noticed the tick crawling up her clothes. ;)

Thanks for the help.

-kat

Any owner who deletes legit logs for no good reason is a jerk. Unfortunately you ran into one. The best thing to do is try to re log it. If he deletes it again, then move on and it might be a good idea to put the rest of his caches on your ignore list.

I believe you can also have your log restored if you write contact@Groundspeak.com and explain what happened. Make sure you include the GC# of the cache in your email.

Edited by briansnat

What does TFTC mean?

It means "Thanks For The Cache" a short but sweet response.

Any owner who deletes legit logs for no good reason is a jerk. Unfortunately you ran into one. The best thing to do is try to re log it. If he deletes it again, then move on and it might be a good idea to put the rest of his caches on your ignore list.

I believe you can also have your log restored if you write contact@Groundspeak.com and explain what happened. Make sure you include the GC# of the cache in your email.

I have had this happen before too. Some people get personal.

We should assume if you are doing any bushwacking at all you are gonna be in tick territory.

Heh, I've grown up here in California and have always been on the working assumption that in the mountains you need to be careful, but here on the valley floor, you're okay. This turned out not to be the case. I mean, they were dog ticks, not deer ticks (thank god), but when I first saw one crawling up my sister's clothes, I mistakenly identified it as a spider, if that gives you a sense of how clueless I was.

Ah well, lesson learned. We should have had the bug spray on anyway -- mosquitoes are a problem here -- and I've now learned how to identify possible tick hot spots and what to do to prevent them and remove them.

Thanks again for all your help, everyone.

-kat

We should assume if you are doing any bushwacking at all you are gonna be in tick territory.

Not completely true. Here in the Pacific Northwet we can bushwhack and not find ticks.

Then you guys are ahead of the game. But for the majority of areas in the states I am guessing you should figure on ticks being there and taking precautions.

Here in Florida everywhere you go has a potential for picking up ticks if it's not to the mall.

If cache finders were to get worked up about finding ticks near caches, we wouldn't have many caches around here.

Always assume that you may run into ticks, spiders, snakes, and other various forms of life not interested in human welfare whenever you set foot off the pavement.

Making a thorough tick-check of yourself when you get home after caching should catch any of the little buggers before they have a chance to settle in and open up a tick dude ranch on your hide. ;)

Besides, if you cache with someone of the fairer persuasion, that tick-check can be fun! :rolleyes:

Being in California, I am always grateful for the Western Fence Lizard that helps keep Lyme disease from spreading. The most I have found crawling around me while caching is 59. Not to mention the ones I pulled off my dog. I guess I should be glad I did not get my log deleted for that cache.

The other night my wife found one crawling around our bedroom. Somehow I got the blame for that. Anyway, they are part of life and part of caching, along with poison oak, misquitos, snakes, and owners who delete logs.

Edited by Erickson

I live in Dutchess County, New York. There are ticks everywhere around here and if I'm venturing even a short distance into a grassy or wooded area, if I don't use tick repellant, I always end up with at least two or three ticks. It's a good practice to always use tick repellant, any time you go into a grassy and/or wooded area...no matter where you live.

I live in Dutchess County, New York. There are ticks everywhere around here and if I'm venturing even a short distance into a grassy or wooded area, if I don't use tick repellant, I always end up with at least two or three ticks. It's a good practice to always use tick repellant, any time you go into a grassy and/or wooded area...no matter where you live.

I lived in NC for 5 years and started caching there and completely agree with DieJob. If you know there are ticks in the area prepare for it. It is nice for people when a CO places attributes, but I always spray like crazy before going out if it is not a LPC day.

I lived in NC for 5 years and started caching there and completely agree with DieJob. If you know there are ticks in the area prepare for it. It is nice for people when a CO places attributes, but I always spray like crazy before going out if it is not a LPC day.

Same in Indiana, you just go into it figuring there will be ticks and spray yourself down.

Alright. To summarize:

1. Log deleting happens. It's not cool, but there's not much you can do about it.
  2. Ticks happen. Best to be prepared. Bug spray is probably a good addition to the cache kit.
  3. Even if you never expected ticks in a place, they could be there. Even in California. See point #2
  4. Ticks are not a safety hazard. Okay, this is apparently my bad. Chalk it up to ignorance with a healthy dose of fear.
  5. There is no best practice etiquette for a situation like this. Best to just relog with a quick 'TFTC' and let it be.
  6. Attributes are nice, but not mandatory.

Does that sound right?

As for what I posted, it was simply: "There are ticks at this site. Do not attempt unless you are prepared for this." and a suggestion that maybe the owner might want to add the tick symbol to the attributes. Okay, I put my warning in all caps, because I wanted to make sure people didn't miss it, but the rest of the note was in standard typography.

And I can see where the cache owners might have missed it -- they placed it at the end of summer last year, when tick activity is probably at a minimum given the long hot valley summers.

Thanks again, y'all, for all your help.

-kat

Well you may not have read the disclaimer to the site, even though you agreed to it when you signed up. On every cache page by default is:

Please note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

And it says:

Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache.

Geocaching.com is owned and operated by Groundspeak Inc. Information in the Geocaching.com database is updated regularly. Neither Groundspeak Inc., nor any agent, officer, employee or volunteer administrator of Groundspeak Inc. warrants the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information and shall not be liable for any losses caused by such reliance on the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of such information. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this information, portions may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity that relies on information obtained from Geocaching.com does so at his or her own risk.

And another warning:

Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution.

In no way shall Groundspeak Inc. nor any agent, officer, employee or volunteer administrator of Groundspeak Inc., be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, or consequential damages arising out of, or in any way connected with the use of this website or use of the information contained within.

So for example if you die by falling off a cliff when caching, your responsible, so in this case, your responsible for the bites (stupid ticks) :rolleyes: