Developing Geosenses

Darthgooch

Hello fellow secret package hunters!

So im new to caching and often when i go out on cache runs try to look for local and easy to find caches. However my geosenses seem to be really underdeveloped. My typical cache day is 5-10 caches becuase so far my find percentage is less that 50%. I never do anything harder that 2 stars difficulty and terrain. I seem to find magnetic key holders the most as well. I use 2 GPS A tomtom one and a garmin.

So are there any experienced geohunters out there who can give a newbie some tips on where to look? I have problems everywhere in cities, parks and trails. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

So are there any experienced geohunters out there who can give a newbie some tips on where to look? I have problems everywhere in cities, parks and trails. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

I've 60% DNF yesterday and 50% today, so I don't think I can help much :blink:

Pay attention to the title - sometimes that is a clue.

As for geosense, maybe get yourself bitten by a radioactive film canister? :(

One of the best ways to develop a "geosense" is to go with experienced cachers. I was like you when I started last year, but my partner has shown me (well I observed her) how and where things are hidden and subtle little things to look for.

If you suspect that something is in the middle of a thicket.... don't barge in.. look for an easier path and it will lead you right to the cache.

Look for unusual piles of sticks all lying in the same direction. Look for piles of rocks where there aren't normally piles of rocks around. Look for odd colored rocks.. like the odd red one when all the rest of the rocks are greyish or brownish.

The biggest "hint" that I developed was to figure out just how accurate my GPS was, under normal conditions, and then to trust it. I've found out that when it says 0 ft, and the accuracy is say 10 ft, then by golly it will be within that 10 ft circle. And the second biggest tip I developed is..... as you appraoch GZ... think like a hider. Where would you put something? When all else fails, sit down, look around, and THINK where is a logical hiding place?

OH!!!..... and the best geosense to develop...... know when to stop hunting and move on. Once it isn't fun trying to find the cache, then it's time to move on and come back some other time and maybe bring some help.

Edited by ngrrfan

For starters - don't over rely on the GPS to find the cache - only you can find it.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

one problem I am running into is many of the closest caches to me are tiny (micro) hidden in forests. I was sitting within 2-3 feet of the exact coordinates of all of them, looked up and down and dug through leaves and stumps and everything... so far I am 0/10 this week (my first week)... hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to go looking for the lock n lock/ammo can types that are only a few miles away.

I guess thats a disadvantage of living in a small town with lots of forest everywhere :blink:

As StarBrand said...

When you get to GZ or just plain close to the cache, within 20 - 40 ft. put the device away. If you keep staring at it, you are not going to find the cache. When you are at GZ, the GPsr job is done, it isn't going to put you any closer (actually, it can lead you away, a bit).

You have to 'think' 40 ft. circle and search that area. Start out your search as if you were going to place a cache there, "Now where would I hide the blankitty-blank thing"?

All-in-all, 'tis like playing a musical instrument. Just when is it that you get good? After LOTS of practice, I bet. :blink:

Do note, cachers with 1,000's of finds still produce DNFs.

Caching with an experienced cacher is definitely the #1 way to build up your senses, if you have the connections. In addition to that and the other suggestions already given, another thing that has helped me a lot is to do some research online.

Check out YouTube, FlickR, geocaching stores, and the threads here on Groundspeak (I especially recommend the "Cool cache containers" thread). Soak up everything about geocaching you can find online, it will teach you a lot about how caches have been hidden and the most popular tricks of the trade. It can help you to recognize clues that you see out in the field.

Good luck!

Caching with an experienced cacher is definitely the #1 way to build up your senses, if you have the connections. In addition to that and the other suggestions already given, another thing that has helped me a lot is to do some research online.

Check out YouTube, FlickR, geocaching stores, and the threads here on Groundspeak (I especially recommend the "Cool cache containers" thread). Soak up everything about geocaching you can find online, it will teach you a lot about how caches have been hidden and the most popular tricks of the trade. It can help you to recognize clues that you see out in the field.

Good luck!

with time you will get the "geosense"

i remember at the beginning i was running around like a chicken without a head

with time and experience i've come to just "sniff" out the hiding places

that is not to say that i don't still log DNF's :blink:

Edited by t4e

I think one of the biggest keys to success is to not get too frustrated. It takes time. After you find a couple, your knowledge base will increase...you'll learn some of the tricks. You'll find some, you'll DNF others. Just comes with the territory. Honestly, that's part of the fun. Take good notes from the cache page also before you go out. My DNF rate goes way up if I haven't prepped a little.

If you get a chance, attend a local Event Cache and talk and listen to the "experts". I've learned some good info hanging out and listening to some of their stories.

one problem I am running into is many of the closest caches to me are tiny (micro) hidden in forests. I was sitting within 2-3 feet of the exact coordinates of all of them, looked up and down and dug through leaves and stumps and everything... so far I am 0/10 this week (my first week)... hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to go looking for the lock n lock/ammo can types that are only a few miles away.

I guess thats a disadvantage of living in a small town with lots of forest everywhere :blink:

As noted above --> the GPS is just not going to lead you directly to the cache (rarely anyway). The average handheld unit averages around 15 to 25 feet of accuracy. Your unit showed about 2 to 3 feet away but the cache may have been up to 50 feet away when you consider your possible error plus the hiders possible error. Often you find them within 20 feet or less but you should be prepared to widen the search area.

I sand my fingertips with 200 grit wet or dry sandpaper at least a day before going after a difficult hide. By removing the extraneous calloused skin cells, I find that it is much easier for me to discern the difference between natural and man-made materials. I learned this trick as a kid, reading about the FBI and safe crackers. :blink:

For starters - don't over rely on the GPS to find the cache - only you can find it.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

I think I read this EXACT reply sometime in the last week. Somebody has a template... :blink:

There are those, and I am very quickly becoming one, that don't see this as a disadvantage. Micros in the forest are just wrong, unless you're setting them as part of a multi. The longer hike/drive/walk caches are far and away my favorite, and while you can't nail 30 of them in one day, the experience, for me at least, is much better.

You'll get better, try to find someone to go with you, either another local cacher or a friend or spouse. That way you can share your good time with someone else, and get a second set of eyes looking for the cache.

I think I read this EXACT reply sometime in the last week. Somebody has a template... :blink:

If other posters are allowed to keep asking the same question, why isn't he allowed to make the same reply? After all, the advice is good.

No problem with it, just making an observation. 'cause I'm an observant fella. now where did my coffee go...

No problem with it, just making an observation. 'cause I'm an observant fella. now where did my coffee go...

Ah, it was the rolling eyes emoticon that threw me off. Just making an observation :blink: Oh, was that your coffee I drank? Oops, sorry.

Edit to add : I expected that post from StarBrand, to the point that when someone ask that kind of question, I just wait for him to reply :(

Edited by Chrysalides

Ah, it was the rolling eyes emoticon that threw me off. Just making an observation :( Oh, was that your coffee I drank? Oops, sorry.

Edit to add : I expected that post from StarBrand, to the point that when someone ask that kind of question, I just wait for him to reply :o

Ya, I regularly forget that my sarcastic wit gets lost in text. In my limited time on the forums, I've noticed Starbrand being one of the several helpful ummm.... old timers? Regulars? Whatever...

Just need to remember that sarcasm is all in the voice. Can you hear me now? :blink:

Another hint on using the GPSr. Sometimes there is "bounce". Make sure that you are really at ground zero. When the unit says you are there move a little and see if it still has you at GZ. I have started looking occasionally and was about to give up and as I started moving the location updated and GZ was actually a little further down the trail.

Then as others say there is about 20' accuracy of your unit, at 20' for the CO's unit and now you have 40'

I think, pi * radius squared = 15775.36 square feet of area to search. Is my recollection of high school math correct?

Hello fellow secret package hunters!

So im new to caching and often when i go out on cache runs try to look for local and easy to find caches. However my geosenses seem to be really underdeveloped. My typical cache day is 5-10 caches becuase so far my find percentage is less that 50%. I never do anything harder that 2 stars difficulty and terrain. I seem to find magnetic key holders the most as well. I use 2 GPS A tomtom one and a garmin.

Sift thru the good and smart A##ed advice on this post and Good Finding!

I sand my fingertips with 200 grit wet or dry sandpaper at least a day before going after a difficult hide. By removing the extraneous calloused skin cells, I find that it is much easier for me to discern the difference between natural and man-made materials. I learned this trick as a kid, reading about the FBI and safe crackers. :)

Really?! :D;)

The most important thing I can offer is from my hunting and tracking experience. Look for what doesn't fit. Particularly in the woods everything that passes leaves a trace. When a bunch of cachers search for the same cache they tend to follow the path of least resistance to the site. That leaves a virtual highway. I've seen a cache covered with pine boughs, under an oak tree, whoa that isn’t odd, eh. The biggest mistake I see hiders make is over camouflaging their cache. I've seen stacks of wood neatly arranged two feet high on top a cache. Nature just doesn’t do that. Keep all your senses active. You'll find more caches and enjoy the trek a bit more.

The info here has been helpful.

I am brand new so I would like to see if I can get some clarity.

When I first went out the first cache we found was literally on the exact spot

where my GPS said it was.

This lead me to believe this is how it would go.

After reading this, I see that is not true.

So if I understand correctly:

Your GPS will take you close, but with the variations of GPS units, it can't take you to the exact spot.

So, once you are within 20-40 ft, you should be searching for the cache.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

PL

..... Micros in the forest are just wrong, unless you're setting them as part of a multi. .....

To each his own... I'd much rather hunt for a micro in a forest than in the shrubbery at a gas station or stuck to a guard rail along a busy highway. I'm not advocating throw downs in a rock pile, or under a pile of leaves, but a strategically placed micro in the woods can be a great cache.

The info here has been helpful.

I am brand new so I would like to see if I can get some clarity.

When I first went out the first cache we found was literally on the exact spot

where my GPS said it was.

This lead me to believe this is how it would go.

After reading this, I see that is not true.

So if I understand correctly:

Your GPS will take you close, but with the variations of GPS units, it can't take you to the exact spot.

So, once you are within 20-40 ft, you should be searching for the cache.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

PL

Yes <_<

Sometimes you get lucky and hit it right on, but, GPSrs only have an accuracy to 10 or so feet at best so you are always located in an area not an exact point. So the error on your end sometimes has to be added to the area on the COs end thus the 20-40ft radius.