Cheapest place to buy bison tubes

ItisTrue

What is the cheapest place to buy bison tubes?

And if I buy bulk, where is the cheapest place?

Any under $1 per tube? or 50 cents even?

I'm cheap I know B)

It's a paradox. The more you buy, the cheaper they get. The more you place, the less the respect from the geocaching community.

I have decided that the best way I can place containers on the cheap is to recycle containers. I have a pair of regular size containers that cost me nothing since I would have tossed them in the recycling bin otherwise.

Just make sure to get rid of food smells if you are placing them in the wilderness.

There's tons on eBay is you search for "geocache -geocoin". Do yourself a big favor though - go to your hardware store and buy a couple of packs of #7 rubber o-rings to replace the original rings that come on the tubes. You'll thank me for it later. B)

Most all of the future finders will also thank you........

ebay has 12 large bison tubes for $15.99 +$5.49 SHIPPING for the US.

These are the nice ones

anything under $2 each is good

I have found that cachers in my area leave them as swag. I normally don't trade swag but always have something of value to trade for a cache container. A couple of them were silver bullets, which made for great to keep to the theme of a cache.... Lone Ranger, Werewolf etc...

The problem with "cheap" bison tubes is they are of a significantly lower quality than the factory versions sold by Bison Designs. The materials are crappier, and the machining is poorer, often leading to kwicker container failure. I like to preach the mantra of, "Take Pride In Your Hide". Intentionally selecting a crappy container, when a quality one can be had for only a slightly greater investment, is paramount to not taking pride in your hide. Just something to think about.

Edited by Clan Riffster

I know that Lee Valley Tools has a pretty good price on them, but I don't know what item category they are under. But I don't think that you will find them for anywhere as cheap anywhere as you're asking for. They do make one of the best micro containers around, though. But be careful... they are not all Bison brand, and the quality varies considerably.

Here they are. $1.95 each, or $1.55 for 5+.

The problem with "cheap" bison tubes is they are of a significantly lower quality than the factory versions sold by Bison Designs. The materials are crappier, and the machining is poorer, often leading to kwicker container failure. I like to preach the mantra of, "Take Pride In Your Hide". Intentionally selecting a crappy container, when a quality one can be had for only a slightly greater investment, is paramount to not taking pride in your hide. Just something to think about.

I think that we are see a bit of bison-snobbery on these forums. The generics with an upgraded o-ring as suggested by 9key make very good micro cache containers.

I'm cheap I know ;)

We're getting out the Bison capsule selling business. Talk to Sissy. She might cut you a little break if you buy a bunch. (No guarantees.)

I think that we are see a bit of bison-snobbery on these forums. The generics with an upgraded o-ring as suggested by 9key make very good micro cache containers.

I agree. Some of the most creative finds I have so far were bison tubes. Obviously its not a lot of fun to go looking for a bison tube hung on a tree, but they make great inner containers for other more interesting hides. I will be looking to buy some to do something similar.

What sbell111* said.

And on ebay, don't search with the word "geocache", that'll add a lot to each tube. Search for "pill container' or some such ;)

* who I believe used to sell those awesome rocks. Checked on mine the other day, over 4 years outside and still going strong

Glad to hear it. As soon as I get a minute, I intend to make a new batch.

I disagree. Some are very flimsy. I've seen a couple that had been cross-threaded (and yes, that would mess up any aluminum container) and the threads looked like a coil of wire. You can actually feel the difference in the heft. Bison brand tubes are heavier; more solid. I'm not sure (never tried to melt one) but I suspect that some may even be flash plated plastic.
I disagree. Some are very flimsy. I've seen a couple that had been cross-threaded (and yes, that would mess up any aluminum container) and the threads looked like a coil of wire. You can actually feel the difference in the heft. Bison brand tubes are heavier; more solid. I'm not sure (never tried to melt one) but I suspect that some may even be flash plated plastic.

Having both the generic eBay tubes and the real Bison Designs stuff, I agree with your disagreement.

I'm cheap I know ;)

We're getting out the Bison capsule selling business. Talk to Sissy. She might cut you a little break if you buy a bunch. (No guarantees.)

How would I get in contact with her? And what do you think the best deal would be?

I think that we are see a bit of bison-snobbery on these forums.

You would be wrong.

My wife is a fan of urban hides, and in her shadow, I've located gobs of these. They can make awesome hides.

The ones whose threads get crossed, (leading to soaked logs), are the generic, $1 a piece Ebay variety.

The ones whose snap-ring rusts off in short order are the generic, $1 a piece Ebay variety.

The ones whose O-rings fail within a week, (as you mentioned), are the generic, $1 a piece Ebay variety.

I learned long ago that you get what you pay for.

Most folks who buy crappy containers do so because they don't realize they are crap.

Educating folks regarding what containers are crap, and why they are crap, has nothing to do with snobbery.

It has much more to do with promoting an agenda: "Take Pride In Your Hide"

Crappy containers lead to soggy logs, as well as other negative issues.

While soggy logs won't unleash the Four Horseman, they are an issue that is easy to avoid, mainly by avoiding crappy containers.

If I tell someone that a Lock & Lock is a better container than a Gladware, that's not snobbery.

If I tell someone that an ammo can is a better container than a cookie tin, that's not snobbery.

If I tell someone that the opaque film cans are better than the black & grey kind, that's not snobbery.

It's experience.

Some folks learn from their mistakes.

Others are able to learn from the mistakes of others.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Having both the generic eBay tubes and the real Bison Designs stuff, I agree with your disagreement.

;) Good.

I guess. :mad::(

I sell them for the cheapest on my site with free shipping! I can't post advertising links here but if you click my name to the left, the link is on my profile
You call them Bison (with a capital "B"): are they the genuine Bison brand?

Incidentally, clicking on "Visit Homepage" does not yield the correct URL. Possibly another bug in the recent update? You may want to check it out and report it.

I sell them for the cheapest on my site with free shipping! I can't post advertising links here but if you click my name to the left, the link is on my profile

Incidentally, clicking on "Visit Homepage" does not yield the correct URL. Possibly another bug in the recent update? You may want to check it out and report it.

No. I use Bison as the name of the type of container. They aren't brand named.

Edited by ChaseOnTheGo

OK. I guess that as long as Bison Design doesn't aggressivly defend their trademark, you can get away with that. I'm sure you're hardly the only one. But I wish they would, because there is a difference.

Did you do something to fix the link to your homepage? I was going to file a bug report about it for you, but in the process, suddenly it started to work.

OK. I guess that as long as Bison Design doesn't aggressivly defend their trademark, you can get away with that. I'm sure you're hardly the only one. But I wish they would, because there is a difference.

Did you do something to fix the link to your homepage? I was going to file a bug report about it for you, but in the process, suddenly it started to work.

lol yea http:// would help ;)

nevermind the first part of my message

Quit trying to scare people. You seem to be in an atagonistic mood today.

Edited by bittsen

"Bison" isn't a registered trademark. "Bison Designs" is.

Yeah, guess you're right about that, although you'd sure think that they would trademark "Bison Tube" anyway.

Quit trying to scare people. You seem to be in an atagonistic mood today.

ignored Edited by knowschad
I know that Lee Valley Tools has a pretty good price on them, but I don't know what item category they are under. But I don't think that you will find them for anywhere as cheap anywhere as you're asking for. They do make one of the best micro containers around, though. But be careful... they are not all Bison brand, and the quality varies considerably.

My Lee Valley order came in today. I actually needed some specialized connectors for some office furniture I am building, but browsed through the Gifts section and camp across the bison tubes. They call them Mini Containers. Not cheap at $1.50 each, but now that I have them I can tell you that they are of a higher quality than the ones I usually find as cache containers.

I also saw these brass containers at the low cost of $3.70 per 6. Orders some of them too. They don't have a seal so it will be necessary to add an o ring.

My Lee Valley order came in today. I actually needed some specialized connectors for some office furniture I am building, but browsed through the Gifts section and camp across the bison tubes. They call them Mini Containers. Not cheap at $1.50 each,

Bison Designs sells theirs for $2.50, so that's actually very good if they are of similar quality.

You would be wrong.

My wife is a fan of urban hides, and in her shadow, I've located gobs of these. They can make awesome hides.

The ones whose threads get crossed, (leading to soaked logs), are the generic, $1 a piece Ebay variety.

The ones whose snap-ring rusts off in short order are the generic, $1 a piece Ebay variety.

The ones whose O-rings fail within a week, (as you mentioned), are the generic, $1 a piece Ebay variety.

Most folks who buy crappy containers do so because they don't realize they are crap.

Educating folks regarding what containers are crap, and why they are crap, has nothing to do with snobbery.

I believe that you are overstating the negatives for dramatic effect, or perhaps to make your argument appear stronger.

I have found a number of micros which used the inexpensive aluminum knockoffs. I can't remember a wet log being in any of them.

Further, I have one of these on my keychain. Try as I may, I cannot get it to cross thread as it uses fairly large threads. I suppose that it could be done if I used tools and forced it.

These items don't use snap-rings anywhere on them, so I don't know what problems you are having there. They do use split rings (like tiny key rings). I haven't experienced a problem with these, but if someone was concerned about them, he/she could upgrade them to brass ones at the same time as they swap the o-ring for just a few cents. (A pack of 25 brass ones costs about $1.50.)

481469664_2524f08618_o.jpg

Edited by sbell111

You would be wrong.

I believe that you are overstating the negatives for dramatic effect, or perhaps to make your argument appear stronger.

I have found a number of micros which used the inexpensive aluminum knockoffs. I can't remember a wet log being in any of them.

Further, I have one of these on my keychain. Try as I may, I cannot get it to cross thread as it uses fairly large threads. I suppose that it could be done if I used tools and forced it.

These items don't use snap-rings anywhere on them, so I don't know what problems you are having there. They do use split rings (like tiny key rings). I haven't experienced a problem with these, but if someone was concerned about them, he/she could upgrade them to brass ones at the same time as they swap the o-ring for just a few cents. (A pack of 25 brass ones costs about $1.50.)

481469664_2524f08618_o.jpg

Did you mean the split rings cost $1.50 for 25? Or the whole container costs $1.50 for 25?

Edited by ItisTrue

I've bought a couple containers of the generic aluminum pill containers on eBay and quite a few are ready for aluminum recycling right out of the pack. The quality control on them is horrible to non-existent. Likely they are spit out of machines at such a rate the poor machining doesn't matter to the manufacturer. If you find the right seller you can get them for less than 50 cents/US per. Considering the quality they should be about 5 cents per. :P

Their threads are helped a little bit, on the better ones, by running a bit of candle wax or bees wax into the threads so they turn more smoothly.

The brass tubes I have found are much, much better and threads hold up well. I expect they cost a bit more to buy and if you intend to leave the tube where it may get wet a brass tube is a better choice as I expect the aluminum will corrode.

Bison-type tubes, like anything, have their place for urban or sneaky hides where cover is scarce.

Edit: regarding other small cache containers in large quantities, variety and such I found this site:

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/PlasticTubesVials.html

A lot of containers to choose from for all sorts of geocaching mischief. :ph34r:

Edited by DragonsWest

It's been a while since we looked around at our competition. It seems as though some are selling genuine Bison Designs aluminum capsules for a little less than we are. But it also seems as though some are selling knock-offs. These aren't genuine Bison Designs capsules, nor is it mentioned whether they come with the two split rings that most BD capsules come with. Also, I know that sometimes we get in a few capsules that don't have an o-ring. We go through every single item and make sure they are good to go.

While this won't make us the cheapest, we've decided to drop our price on the small capsules back down the $2.00 we were selling them for before. Bison Designs sells them on their website for $2.50 plus shipping. Our shipping is a flat $2.00 per order within the U.S.

I got myself into some hot water with the wife with my last post. She's not interested in simply dumping our remaining stock of capsules. She is interested in doing business in a fair and timely manner.

Two reasons I personally want to get out of the capsules business. Bison Designs has increased the wholesale prices every time we've ordered, to the point where it simply isn't worth it. Second, I personally feel the micro/nano thing is way out of hand.

I like these capsules because they make a much cheaper stage than going to the local big box and buying a custom dog tag out of the kiosk. You can take a Popsicle stick and jam it in the lid, write your clue on the stick and put it together for a quick, changeable, durable stage in a multi. That's not to mention having simply a rolled up piece of paper for a clue, but he Popsicle stick thing makes the clue and lid one piece and less likely to get lost. I keep a $20 bill rolled up in one that is on my keychain for emergency funds.

I don't like to see them used as a cache. That's simply not a cache, IMHO. A few, fine. But it seems as though the hobby is more about micros in less than appealing places than it is about adventure.

We're happy to sell the stickers, stencils, and other stuff. Not so much the capsules as caches.

Edit: regarding other small cache containers in large quantities, variety and such I found this site:

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/PlasticTubesVials.html

A lot of containers to choose from for all sorts of geocaching mischief. :P

Yup, that's a great site. I found these

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin34d.html

That look promising

Add a gasket and thos would be the best alternative to film cannisters.

And they have some tiny solid brass ones under item number 45K07.15, 1X1/4-3/8 inches, package of 6 for $3.70. In the description they say they are machined from solid brass with a steel split ring for hanging.

So that's where they're from. A local cacher has hidden a few around. They're horribly difficult to find, especially when 10' up a tree...

BTW, for anyone who ordered from them, how much is shipping from SKS Bottles?

Edited by Chrysalides

I know that Lee Valley Tools has a pretty

They do make one of the best micro containers around,

Here they are. $1.95 each, or $1.55 for 5+.

And they have some tiny solid brass ones under item number 45K07.15, 1X1/4-3/8 inches, package of 6 for $3.70. In the description they say they are machined from solid brass with a steel split ring for hanging.

OH, those would be great for that power trail I am planning!!

So that's where they're from. A local cacher has hidden a few around. They're horribly difficult to find, especially when 10' up a tree...

BTW, for anyone who ordered from them, how much is shipping from SKS Bottles?

Shipping isn't cheap

http://www.leevalley.com/home/HelpPlaceOrd...px?c=2#Shipping