Geocaching.com website problem

reef runner

I am having problems. This started the first time I tried to access the website, geocachind.com, after whatever changes were made. I have tried to get help. Obviously, there are so many problems now, that no one knows what is going on. The people in customer service at contact@geocaching.com sent me a link, to a forum topic, where I am suppose to report my concerns. The topic is locked. So I will try to start another one. I have written and written about this, until I am disgusted and tired, so I won't bother whoever might read this, with all my previous details and emails and forum post.

Here is what you might want to know............and please understand, I am having this problem on three separate computers, (Lenovo, HP, & Dell) two on XP, and one on Vista, all set up and configured at different times. They are all running IE8, and they all have been running IE8, with “zero” problems. I have also utilized all of these computers, to access geocaching.com, in the past, but prior, to whatever changes have been made to the site. All of my computers are updated constantly, automatically and manually, fully scanned daily, and I have done everything that has been suggested, concerning clearing the browser's cache, rebooting, refreshing, checking to see if javascript is enabled, etc. Again, three separate computers that are not networked together, three different brands, all with the same problem. I have absolutely not problems with anything else, or any other website. What has geocaching.com done, that is different from every other website, out there?

Now here is what has been happening, and what happened immediately after following all previous instructions, from others that have tried so earnestly, to help me. And to those, I thank you.........

HERE GOES - After doing everything that has been recommended, last night, here’s how it went, step by step:

I brought up the computer

I brought up my browser

I typed in www.geocaching.com

I entered my username

I entered my password

I clicked on my username at the top of the page

I was taken to my profile page

I clicked the link to find caches around my home coordinates

I immediately got the error tone and message:

X Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...;lng=-78.373064

Operation Aborted

OK

When I hit OK, the screen on the active tab goes blank, as if I have no internet connection. It just sits there, as if it is trying to load, turning and turning and turning. When I try to close that tab, it won’t close, and I get the following message:

X This window is busy

Closing this window might cause some problems.

Do you want to close it anyway?

OK Cancel

No matter what I choose, it will not close the tab, where I tried to use the website. I then have to shut everything down, and completely exit my browser, just to continue using my computer.

As I have said, I am just about fed up with geocaching.com, at this point. Basically, I’m dead in the water………….

Thanks for reading............(Reef Runner)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

reef runner,

In the interest of trying to understand what is going on, can you please describe any other issues you are encountering while attempting to use the geocaching site? For example, at your profile page here: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/ , can you click on geocaches and see the ones you own and the ones you have found?

Other issues you see might help someone to offer an idea to help you.

What you are describing sound like some plug-in, add-in to Internet Explorer is being triggered by the site and causing the program to crash. Goto Tools->Internet Options ->programs tab and look under manage add-ons.

Disable or remove anything there - reboot your PC and try again.

Once again, all was fine, until the changes were made to the website ? I don’t know what has changed, I’m just aware that there have been some major changes to geocaching.com.

Now, as for my situation, I am experiencing the same problem on three (3) separate computers, (Lenovo, HP, & Dell) two are on Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600, and they are using IE8 browser version 8.0.6001.18702. The third computer is on Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002, and likewise, it is using IE8 browser version 8.0.6001.18865. Also, these three units were all set up and configured at different times. They are not networked together. Each is a stand alone system. As I said, they are all running IE8, and they all have been running IE8, with “zero” problems. I have accessed geocaching.com numerous times, on all three machines, and have never had a problem of any kind. Likewise, I don’t have any other issues, with any other websites, of any kind, only geocaching.com.

Does anyone know if being logged onto the Groundspeak forum, at the same time has any effect. I have logged onto that first, then gone to another windows tab, and logged onto geocaching.com, and then pulled up the caches successfully. Then, just when I think I have got it figured out, and I try to duplicate it, well, there it goes again……….and I have to shut everything down, just to clear away from geocaching.com. I literally have to shut down the browser, to get it to release me, so I can do something else………….

Thanks everyone for trying to help...........but I'm pulling out what little hair I've got left........

Edited by reef runner

Have you run an anti-virus program recently? Sounds like something has infected your machines.

Firewall working and enabled? All recent security patches applied?

Well, then it has just infected geocaching.com.....this is three (3) different computers.....SORRY, I know you are trying to help, I'm just getting very frustrated........

To answer your question, anti-virus & internet security runs "DAILY". Firewall is ON and working. All updates of all kinds are on automatic, and I check for them manually, quite often..........No updates available for any of the 3 computers.

Again, NOTHING IS WRONG, ANYWHERE, EXCEPT ON GEOCACHING.COM ??????

I give up, this makes no sense. I just went through the steps, and everything worked - perfect - textbook.................there's the caches, and everything, just like old time. Too good to be true, I say. So, I close down, bring back up the browser, and try it again, just to make sure, because I've got it now - WRONG - just like that.............

X Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...;lng=-78.373064

Operation Aborted

OK

Hey Reefrunner

I get a similar message. After I do a search for my zip code my computer says that it cannot access the website then it goes white and an error page appears.

I am able to get to the cache listings by hitting the back button at the top of the error page. The page I was trying to access will come up. I have to do that each time though with each page. Can be a headache.

Since you say your page goes black after the message comes up about not being able to access the site try holding down the ALT key and pressing the left arrow key after it goes black/ or instead of hitting OK. This will also produce the back command. The back command works for me, maybe it'll work for you. Not a solution, but it allows me to get to everything.

We just have to have patience until the Groundspeak geeks get it figured out.

Hey Reefrunner

I get a similar message. After I do a search for my zip code my computer says that it cannot access the website then it goes white and an error page appears.

I am able to get to the cache listings by hitting the back button at the top of the error page. The page I was trying to access will come up. I have to do that each time though with each page. Can be a headache.

Since you say your page goes black after the message comes up about not being able to access the site try holding down the ALT key and pressing the left arrow key after it goes black/ or instead of hitting OK. This will also produce the back command. The back command works for me, maybe it'll work for you. Not a solution, but it allows me to get to everything.

We just have to have patience until the Groundspeak geeks get it figured out.

Thanks, glad to hear I'm not alone. I didn't mean black, if I said that somewhere, I meant it goes blank, when I try to get out, after it locks up. I then just close the browser down, or switch to another tab, or I can't do anything. I can be patient, but when it's happening on three different computers, I have a hard time believeing that changing a setting on one computer, is going to fix them all ????

Thanks, glad to hear I'm not alone. I didn't mean black, if I said that somewhere, I meant it goes blank, when I try to get out, after it locks up. I then just close the browser down, or switch to another tab, or I can't do anything. I can be patient, but when it's happening on three different computers, I have a hard time believeing that changing a setting on one computer, is going to fix them all ????

Are you absolutely sure you haven't installed the same add-in on all three computers? Since the vast majority of users apparently aren't seeing these problems, that's really all I can think of.

--Larry

Are you absolutely sure you haven't installed the same add-in on all three computers? Since the vast majority of users apparently aren't seeing these problems, that's really all I can think of.

--Larry

Not sure what you may be referring to. Haven't installed anything on all three computers. The desktop, rarely gets turned on, just to scan and update, usually just once a week. If it happens to be on, it gets scanned daily, and updated automatically.

When this problem started, I was banking on that computer, being fine, because it worked perfectly on geocaching.com, the last time I used it. Boy was I wrong. It really kinda surprised me, when I experienced the same problem. Then I went and got my wife's laptop, and there it was again.........this is crazy, I know, but something is not right, on geocaching.com.

I'm beginning to see others, now, with the same, or similiar problem. So what's up with that? I don't have a problem waiting a bit, if someone, is indeed acknowledging the problems, and working to correct them. However, it does look like they would have gotten the bugs out, before throwing it out to us............

Sorry, just venting a bit........nothing personal, I assure you.........

I have been having the exact same problem. It occurs on my home computer, as well as, my work computer but not every time. I did start happening right after I noticed some changes to the site.

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!! I am sorry that you are having the problem, but at least, maybe everyone won't think I'm off my rocker. And your two computers aren't even located, at the same place.......and yes, I like you, will say that it doesn't happen everytime, but just as soon as I think I've got it figured out, there it is again. And likewise, it started happening here, right after the changes were made on the website....................

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!! Now, if someone can just tell us what is going on, or fix it, we'll be in good shape again.............

Edited by reef runner

I am having the same problem. It happens when I attempt to search for caches. It doesn't matter how I search, by home coords, state, zip, nearest to another cache - it can happen at any time. I can usually get past it by hitting F5 to refresh, the message will come up a couple more times but then it works. It doesn't happen every time, but at least half. When it doesn't happen on the first page it will usually happen by the time I get up to four pages into the search at the most. It only started when the upgrades were installed. Nothing on my computer has changed since before then.

I am having the same problem. It happens when I attempt to search for caches. It doesn't matter how I search, by home coords, state, zip, nearest to another cache - it can happen at any time. I can usually get past it by hitting F5 to refresh, the message will come up a couple more times but then it works. It doesn't happen every time, but at least half. When it doesn't happen on the first page it will usually happen by the time I get up to four pages into the search at the most. It only started when the upgrades were installed. Nothing on my computer has changed since before then.

Amen, and thank you very much, also..........Maybe someone is going to get the message, sooner or later....

Amen, and thank you very much, also..........Maybe someone is going to get the message, sooner or later....

No one doubts that you are encountering this issue, reef runner. However, every time we try to narrow down the issue by asking you to try various things, you shut down on us and tell us to get to work fixing it. The fact is that this issue only happens with a small fraction of users. We need your help in determining what is common to your computers that is causing them to act this way when the majority of users with the same configuration as you are having no problems (and we can't reproduce it internally).

In our previous conversations I have asked you what security/antivirus software you are running and whether or not that is present on all of your computers, what add-ons you might have installed in IE on all of your computers, and if you experience any issues with Firefox or another browser on any of your computers. All of these questions help to start narrowing down the culprit, but if you don't cooperate with us by answering these questions and exploring these scenarios, there is little we can do to figure this issue out.

No one doubts that you are encountering this issue, reef runner. However, every time we try to narrow down the issue by asking you to try various things, you shut down on us and tell us to get to work fixing it. The fact is that this issue only happens with a small fraction of users. We need your help in determining what is common to your computers that is causing them to act this way when the majority of users with the same configuration as you are having no problems (and we can't reproduce it internally).

In our previous conversations I have asked you what security/antivirus software you are running and whether or not that is present on all of your computers, what add-ons you might have installed in IE on all of your computers, and if you experience any issues with Firefox or another browser on any of your computers. All of these questions help to start narrowing down the culprit, but if you don't cooperate with us by answering these questions and exploring these scenarios, there is little we can do to figure this issue out.

I apologize, but I thought that I gave you everything that I knew to give you, and that you, or whoever else had asked for. I gave you my OS's and version #'s, my browser and version #'s, I have explained everything that I know to explain. I use Norton Internet Security 2009, on all computers, and they are scanned daily, if turned on. Nothing on this end has changed, since the time when all was working flawlessly. Everything that I have here now, was in place, way prior, to things going south. I told you that I don't have another browser. I use IE, and I have used IE8, since it came out, on all three computers, and with geocaching.com. There has never been a problem with the website.

Now as for add-ons, I'm not really sure what you are talking about. I do automatic updates, on everything, all the time, if that is what you are referring too. If an update comes, it gets downloaded and installed. I am surely not trying to hide anything, nor misrepresent anything. I'm just very frustrated that this has occurred, all of a sudden.

As I, and the other gentleman mentioned previously, it does not happen every time, and just when I think all is okay, I log off, shut down, come back up, and go to geocaching.com, and, it might work, or it might not. I just don't know what else to tell you.................other than I appreciate you trying to help me. Please, if there is something else that you want to know, let me know, and I will get back with you tomorrow, but I'm done for today................. B) BTW, I am not a systems person, but I've had one to take a look, and he tells me that there is nothing going on, on my end. I know that tells you nothing, but just thought I'd throw that in, again............good evening, and I'll catch back up with you, or whoever, tomorrow..........

Regarding "Add-Ons"...this post detailed how to find out what you have going on in the background that you may not know about personally...

What you are describing sound like some plug-in, add-in to Internet Explorer is being triggered by the site and causing the program to crash. Goto Tools->Internet Options ->programs tab and look under manage add-ons.

Disable or remove anything there - reboot your PC and try again.

I suspect that this issue is due to known Javascript errors that are occurring on pages that serve ads. These ads appear if you are a basic member and do not if you are premium, but the Javascript that controls the display runs regardless. These errors only seem to affect IE.

I'm not positive that this is the cause as the crash/freeze that some are reporting does not happen for us internally. However, you might try installing another browser and seeing if that corrects the issue for you.

This is of course just a workaround solution. I'm going to see if the errors can be hotfixed and if so try to get the fix pushed out; if not, it will have to wait until the next release of the site.

Thank you for your patience.

Just a thought, but if the Java script for the adverts has changed perhaps it now conflicts with Norton Internet Security 2009 (which I believe can be set up to prevent unwanted adverts appearing on a webpage)???

Reef runner - I hope I'm not teaching grandmother to suck eggs - have you tried disabling NS IS2009 temporarily and accessing the geocaching website? If this restores access, you could then try altering its advert suppression settings??

Chris

I apologize, but I thought that I gave you everything that I knew to give you, and that you, or whoever else had asked for. I gave you my OS's and version #'s, my browser and version #'s, I have explained everything that I know to explain. I use Norton Internet Security 2009, on all computers, and they are scanned daily, if turned on. Nothing on this end has changed, since the time when all was working flawlessly. Everything that I have here now, was in place, way prior, to things going south. I told you that I don't have another browser. I use IE, and I have used IE8, since it came out, on all three computers, and with geocaching.com. There has never been a problem with the website.

To address a couple of items in the above paragraph...

First, just because you have not changed nothing does not mean there is nothing on your machine having trouble. Whatever configuration you have played well with the old gc.com format. Fine. But gc.com has changed and something about your 3 machines does not like it while a great many other users are not experiencing any problems. That means there is SOMETHING unique to your configurations that is banging it's head on the new site format, whether you changed anything on your end or not. That's why there are so many questions about your configurations. They need to know as much about your environments as possible to be able to get to the configuration issue.

Second, we understand you are using a specific browser and don't have another, but you need to download another one, say Firefox, and just see if you get the same errors going to the site with that browser. Why? Because if Firefox works consistently fine, then the configuration issue is with your browser. If it does not, it is elsewhere on your systems. Again, this is a technique to help narrow down the scope of the problem and start isolating possible problem causers.

I know this is terribly frustrating,especially for a non-tech person, but please try to understand that the questions and tasks being asked of you are to help solve the problem, not to string you along.

Good luck!

To address a couple of items in the above paragraph...

First, just because you have not changed nothing does not mean there is nothing on your machine having trouble. Whatever configuration you have played well with the old gc.com format. Fine. But gc.com has changed and something about your 3 machines does not like it while a great many other users are not experiencing any problems. That means there is SOMETHING unique to your configurations that is banging it's head on the new site format, whether you changed anything on your end or not. That's why there are so many questions about your configurations. They need to know as much about your environments as possible to be able to get to the configuration issue.

Second, we understand you are using a specific browser and don't have another, but you need to download another one, say Firefox, and just see if you get the same errors going to the site with that browser. Why? Because if Firefox works consistently fine, then the configuration issue is with your browser. If it does not, it is elsewhere on your systems. Again, this is a technique to help narrow down the scope of the problem and start isolating possible problem causers.

I know this is terribly frustrating,especially for a non-tech person, but please try to understand that the questions and tasks being asked of you are to help solve the problem, not to string you along.

Good luck!

Thank you, "for banging my head", I needed that, and I do understand what you are saying. I suppose that pure frustration took over, after messing with this problem, for nearly a day. I apologize.

I assure you, I'm trying to do what everyone has asked. Now, as for disabling all of the add-ons, that is not something that I am comfortable doing. I prefer not to mess with stuff that I don't fully understand. I am by no means a die-hard techie, but likewise, I do know a little more, than the average Joe out there banging keys. I'm not computer illiterate. I also know when not to mess with something, and if I'm not certain of what the possible outcome may be, I usually leave it alone.

I am, however, now convinced, that this is indeed, a Microsoft IE problem, probably IE8, to be exact, and as you have so correctly pointed out to me, IE8 worked and played well with the old gc.com, but for some reason, it doesn't like something in the new gc.com. I have now taken the advice given by many, and loaded a version of FireFox. I had NO problems with Firefox and gc.com, however, I personally would prefer to use IE, as I am more familiar with that browser.

I have also taken note, that someone told me, that when they got the error page, that they used the "go back" a page, and it would load the search. This seems to work also. So, for obvious reasons, it seems that it's the search function, that doesn't want to load up properly, every now and then, whether it be a search performed with cords, address, zip, or whatever, it just wants to hang up, on occassion.

I hope this will help. I also plan to investigate the issue mentioned previously, about Norton Internet Security 2009, and see if there is a setting in there, that will change anything pertaining to the page.

I suppose the question that I really have, is what is unique about gc.com, that makes it necessary to include something, that is not compatible with IE8. IE8 is a widely used browser, and I would think that gc.com would surely want to be compatible with all browsers, and I'm sure they are working in that direction. But why has this particular problem never occurred on any other websites. What is unique about gc.com, that requires this kind of programing change, that no one else has had to install, or at least, no one that I have run across, as of yet?

Either way, I intend to continue working with anyone that is willing to attempt to help me. Based on some of the other post, maybe I am not the only one experiencing this problem, and I am sure that gc.com wants us all to be happy.......

Thanks to everyone, that has tried to help me............I'm trying ! ;)

Just a thought, but if the Java script for the adverts has changed perhaps it now conflicts with Norton Internet Security 2009 (which I believe can be set up to prevent unwanted adverts appearing on a webpage)???

Reef runner - I hope I'm not teaching grandmother to suck eggs - have you tried disabling NS IS2009 temporarily and accessing the geocaching website? If this restores access, you could then try altering its advert suppression settings??

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'm going to check on that too...................

I suppose the question that I really have, is what is unique about gc.com, that makes it necessary to include something, that is not compatible with IE8. IE8 is a widely used browser, and I would think that gc.com would surely want to be compatible with all browsers, and I'm sure they are working in that direction. But why has this particular problem never occurred on any other websites. What is unique about gc.com, that requires this kind of programing change, that no one else has had to install, or at least, no one that I have run across, as of yet?

Add-Ons - IE handles add-ons differently from many browsers.

Goto tools->internet options->Programs tab and manage add-ons

Disable all of them and reboot your PC. Any site that used or needed them will ask to re-enable should they be necessary.

At least tell us what you see there.

Edited by StarBrand

I've been re-reading your posts to see if you are seeing the same issue that I am, or not. I do get the header of the cache listing page, but do not get the caches, unless I hit Refresh (F5) one or more times.

The page that I get looks like this:

2df0d23c-f673-48d5-9ba3-9d7e2fb8a1d0.jpg

Notice the "Error on page" message in the lower left. If you click on the icon to the left of that, you will bring up a window with the actual error message. What I get is this:

Webpage error details

Message: HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)

If this is also what you are seeing, then it has been reported and acknowleged in at least one other thread. And as I said above, hitting F5 one or more times (usually just once) will get the rest of the page to list.

Disable all of them and reboot your PC. Any site that used or needed them will ask to re-enable should they be necessary.

I've been able to replicate the issue at work on Explorer (another reason to not use it and use Firefox).

I disabled all of the add-ons as requested. As soon as I go to the GC.com main page I am asked to enable the add-ons and get a link to click. The problem is that it doesn't tell me which one to enable again. That is a problem since you would have to enable each one of them. If I don't add one back, I get the error page. F5 brings me back and I can click through. Same thing again -- window tells me to enable add-on, click link and open window, don't know which to add, and then the page crashes. F5 brings it back and the cycle continues.

I then curse Bill Gates yet again and open Firefox and I am happy once again. ;)

Edited to add that this only happens in my non-premium member testing account.

Edit 2, I just went around again from the main page with all add-on items disabled and got to the search page again and crashed again. Had to F5 to bring the search results page up. Every add-on is still disabled.

Edited by mtn-man

Again, I'm not comfortable doing this, and besides, there are way way too many to try and list them.............surely you don't mean for me to type in everything in the list of add-ons..........

I've been re-reading your posts to see if you are seeing the same issue that I am, or not. I do get the header of the cache listing page, but do not get the caches, unless I hit Refresh (F5) one or more times.

The page that I get looks like this:

2df0d23c-f673-48d5-9ba3-9d7e2fb8a1d0.jpg

Notice the "Error on page" message in the lower left. If you click on the icon to the left of that, you will bring up a window with the actual error message. What I get is this:

Webpage error details

Message: HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)

If this is also what you are seeing, then it has been reported and acknowleged in at least one other thread. And as I said above, hitting F5 one or more times (usually just once) will get the rest of the page to list.

Yes, sometimes I get that exact page, but when I do, I hit the "back page" button, then "forward" and it will usually load correctly, maybe after two attempts. The Refresh button has the same effect.

But, sometimes, it just simply throws up the error message in the middle of the screen, but I have found now, that I can also "back page", the "forward page", several times, and that also will clear it up...............

I've been able to replicate the issue at work on Explorer (another reason to not use it and use Firefox).

I disabled all of the add-ons as requested. As soon as I go to the GC.com main page I am asked to enable the add-ons and get a link to click. The problem is that it doesn't tell me which one to enable again. That is a problem since you would have to enable each one of them. If I don't add one back, I get the error page. F5 brings me back and I can click through. Same thing again -- window tells me to enable add-on, click link and open window, don't know which to add, and then the page crashes. F5 brings it back and the cycle continues.

I then curse Bill Gates yet again and open Firefox and I am happy once again. ;)

Edit 2, I just went around again from the main page with all add-on items disabled and got to the search page again and crashed again. Had to F5 to bring the search results page up. Every add-on is still disabled.

As mentioned before, this is the part that I am not comfortable with. Many of my add-ons say enabled, and many say disabled. I'm not sure what everything is, so I don't feel good about just goiing in and turning everything off.

Agree on the Bill Gates thing, but I suppose they are the 800 lb gorilla, and unfortunately, IE is all I know, and all I have ever used, for any length of time. I have attempted to use Firefox several times in the past, but have always gone back to IE. For some reason, I just couldn't get used to Firefox, but I have tried. I did go back and load up a version, earlier today, and yes, gc.com worked fine, the several times I tried it. But, I might try it on IE8 several times and it works perfectly also, then all of a sudden, when I think all is well, things go south again......

reef runner, I highly recommend Firefox. I was skeptical at first but since I've started using it a couple of years ago I have never looked back. Internet Explorer has too many problems.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgra...from=getfirefox

Thanks...........and I appreciate your suggestion. As I mentioned in my last post, I have attempted to use Firefox several times in the past, but have always gone back to IE. For some reason, I just couldn't get used to Firefox, but I have tried it several times. As I said, I did go back and load up a version, earlier today, and yes, gc.com worked fine, the several times I tried it, using Firefox. But, I might try it on IE8 several times and it works perfectly also, then all of a sudden, it doesn't. I hear what you are saying about IE8, but I have not experienced those problems before. I've never had an problems that were browser related, with any website, before now.

I don't want to keep taking up everyones time, so I'll just continue to muddle through. As I said, I've now found a couple of ways to force the page to load, yes it's aggravating, but I can get by. I don't have any other problems, so it's not worth it to me, to have to struggle, with everything else, using an unfamiliar browser, when I'm quite comfortable with IE8, and yes, I'll probably go to IE9, when ever it becomes available. Again, I hear what you are saying about Microsoft, but I don't have those problems that you are referring to, other than this one.............

Moun10Bike and crew are looking at it. Hopefully my image helps.

Yeah, I bet JC looks better than you do....................just kidding

anyway

I do appreciate everyone trying to help me.........

If anyone ever needs any help learning how to fly a stunt kite, give me a holler............you've got to have more than one hobby, because Stuff Happens, you know............

reef runner, I highly recommend Firefox. I was skeptical at first but since I've started using it a couple of years ago I have never looked back. Internet Explorer has too many problems.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgra...from=getfirefox

If you haven't tried it yet, take a look at the geocaching.com Google Maps under Google Chrome. Try zooming and panning in cache-heavy areas, while the page is still trying to load caches. You will love it for that. (I too prefer Firefox for everything else, although my old IE habit is hard to break)

Reefrunner... as long as you keep a list of what you disable, so that you can re-enable it later, you won't have any problem. Remember... these *are* add-ons, after all. You did not start with them when you got your computer.

This is definitely an IE8 problem. Ever since I installed IE8, I occasionally run into websites that completely lock-up my browser (to the point that I have to end-task on it). It almost always comes down to how IE8 handles javascript problems. I've been able to get around some of the problems by going into compatibility mode, but that doesn't always fix the problem.

Although the changes to the website are causing IE8 to lock-up, that doesn't mean that it's the fault of the website, especially when other browsers are not having a problem.

IE8 does have a cool javascript debugging feature, which is really cool. You can trace exactly where the javascript problem is and actually step through the javascript code.

Tools > Developer Tools ... Then click on 'Script' and then click 'Start Debugging'. You can put in break-points and do all kinds of cool stuff. If it is a javascript error that is causing the problem, the exact line will be highlighted when the problem occurs. Try this and post the code.

As mentioned before, this is the part that I am not comfortable with. Many of my add-ons say enabled, and many say disabled. I'm not sure what everything is, so I don't feel good about just goiing in and turning everything off.

Agree on the Bill Gates thing, but I suppose they are the 800 lb gorilla, and unfortunately, IE is all I know, and all I have ever used, for any length of time. I have attempted to use Firefox several times in the past, but have always gone back to IE. For some reason, I just couldn't get used to Firefox, but I have tried. I did go back and load up a version, earlier today, and yes, gc.com worked fine, the several times I tried it. But, I might try it on IE8 several times and it works perfectly also, then all of a sudden, when I think all is well, things go south again......

fortunately, IE has a version you can launch with add-ons disabled

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Addons)

This is definitely an IE8 problem. Ever since I installed IE8, I occasionally run into websites that completely lock-up my browser (to the point that I have to end-task on it). It almost always comes down to how IE8 handles javascript problems. I've been able to get around some of the problems by going into compatibility mode, but that doesn't always fix the problem.

Although the changes to the website are causing IE8 to lock-up, that doesn't mean that it's the fault of the website, especially when other browsers are not having a problem.

IE8 does have a cool javascript debugging feature, which is really cool. You can trace exactly where the javascript problem is and actually step through the javascript code.

Tools > Developer Tools ... Then click on 'Script' and then click 'Start Debugging'. You can put in break-points and do all kinds of cool stuff. If it is a javascript error that is causing the problem, the exact line will be highlighted when the problem occurs. Try this and post the code.

I've actually seen something similar in the office on 64-bit IE. Do you have the Java plug-in installed? Not javascript, but Java. You should check Add/Remove programs and uninstall all versions and install the latest build from here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Just a shot in the dark, but it's worth a try ;)

Justin,

Thank you for that information. I did not know that there was an option to start Internet Explorer (without add-ons). I started IE8, WITHOUT ANY ADD-ONS. I got the same results that I have been experiencing, with the add-ons enabled............thank you again.

Maybe this will be of assistance to the programmers that are trying to fix this situation...........

I've actually seen something similar in the office on 64-bit IE. Do you have the Java plug-in installed? Not javascript, but Java. You should check Add/Remove programs and uninstall all versions and install the latest build from here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Just a shot in the dark, but it's worth a try ;)

Hi Justin,

Thanks again, and yes I have Java, and it is up to date, as of Jan 19th, 2010.......

Interestingly, I did not see the problem in the No Add-ins version, so tried my regular (with add-ins) version tonight here at home and also had no problem. So my issue may be different that reef runners. I definitely, and repeatedly, was able to create the problem today at work.

ReadyOrNot: Yes, I have also seen lockups with IE8, particularily at work, but there I need to actually use the Task Manager to kill IE. The problem that I am describing, and that Reef Runners may be experiencing, still allows me to do a refresh. This is not really a lock up. Even Reef Runner states that his back arrow is working.

OK, I have not been able to bring up My[Your] Profile page or search for a cache without freezing up this

old computer since this new thing began.

So I tried Firefox and it told me the computer is toooo old but suggested I try Opera. I went to it and it took about two minutes to download.

I am about as computer dumb as one could be. I don't want to jinx myself but my computer is now on steroids. Everything working so far and much faster than before.

I hope this machine won't blow up with the added horsepower.

Windows 98----IE6

OK, I have not been able to bring up My[Your] Profile page or search for a cache without freezing up this

old computer since this new thing began.

So I tried Firefox and it told me the computer is toooo old but suggested I try Opera. I went to it and it took about two minutes to download.

I am about as computer dumb as one could be. I don't want to jinx myself but my computer is now on steroids. Everything working so far and much faster than before.

I hope this machine won't blow up with the added horsepower.

Windows 98----IE6

Windows 98? OK, I promise not to laugh, but seriously... if you are running a computer that is running Windows 98, that tells me that you are running a seriously old and seriously underpowered computer that is almost certainly teetering on the edge of collapse. It really is time to start saving your pennies for a new box.