Abbreviations

streemlina

Welcome to the crazy world of geocaching! The abbreviations will soon become second nature to you. You'll spot them everywhere......there's a car I see on my way to work with a numberplate FTF.....I just think...first to find! B) I've invented my own, QEF (quick easy find) that I write in my logs & nobody has ever questioned it :) Anyway, happy caching! :D

Don't get me started on abbreviations. I am starting to read on a good number of logs words to the effect - arrived at GZ and started to look for a likely place. Why has GZ suddenly started to appear? I assume this means "ground zero" which in itself is complete nonsense anyway and as far as I can see has nowt to do with geocaching anyway. If lots of people are starting to look for my caches in the middle of New York, they are looking in the wrong place. :lol: I think people mean they have arrived at the posted co-ords and started to search for the cache.

By the way don't get me on about 24/7 - that's another load of tosh.

Anyway off for another beer and a lie down, probably in that order. TTFN and SYL. ;)

Don't get me started on abbreviations. I am starting to read on a good number of logs words to the effect - arrived at GZ and started to look for a likely place. Why has GZ suddenly started to appear? I assume this means "ground zero" which in itself is complete nonsense anyway and as far as I can see has nowt to do with geocaching anyway. If lots of people are starting to look for my caches in the middle of New York, they are looking in the wrong place. :lol: I think people mean they have arrived at the posted co-ords and started to search for the cache.

By the way don't get me on about 24/7 - that's another load of tosh.

Anyway off for another beer and a lie down, probably in that order. TTFN and SYL. ;)

Ground zero - original definition: -

• noun the point on the earth’s surface directly below an exploding nuclear bomb.

In respect to geocaching it refers to this original defintion, I.E. "Zero point" the point at which you are 0 ft from the marked co-ordinates. There is no need to detonate a nuclear device unless you really feel the need.

J

EDIT - interestingly, the slang defintion is "(Slang) very messy and dirty messy place ", which kinda sums several cache hiding locations I've been taken to whilst attempting to find this elusive ground zero!

Edited by Dakar4x4

Ground zero - original definition: -

• noun the point on the earth’s surface directly below an exploding nuclear bomb.

In respect to geocaching it refers to this original defintion, I.E. "Zero point" the point at which you are 0 ft from the marked co-ordinates. T

Rightly or (more probably) wrongly I've always taken GZ to mean "Geocache Zone", in the sense that DZ is used for Drop Zone in parachuting, as such I use it to mean the general area where the cache is placed, and not the precise spot, i.e. the point at which you stop following the arrow and start looking for an OPSS!

I think you'll find most of them in The Lexicon of Geocaching.

Welcome to the forums.

MrsB :D

Very useful link, thanks, but it doesn't mention ICT?

I've found this given in the clues for a number of caches and initially thought "Information & Communication Technology" - but apparently not! It seems to be a tree of some sort, usually a Horse Chestnut Tree - so why ICT not HCT? Have racked my brains and still don't get the I bit. Help!

I think you'll find most of them in The Lexicon of Geocaching.

Welcome to the forums.

MrsB :D

I've found this given in the clues for a number of caches and initially thought "Information & Communication Technology" - but apparently not! It seems to be a tree of some sort, usually a Horse Chestnut Tree - so why ICT not HCT? Have racked my brains and still don't get the I bit. Help!

Ivy Covered Tree (thought by some, with a warped sense of humour, to be the ideal hiding place for a camo'd micro)

P

Moderator note...

I had edited several posts in this topic a few days ago. I really needed to do more and after sitting down today and looking at it more carefully, I have decided to remove many posts out of this topic completely. They bear no relevance to the geocaching question asked and as many of you know, I don't like "hair splitting". Some of the acronyms that were posted are questionable, and many violate the forum guidelines completely.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

2. Foul language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly.

We have said many times that this includes asterisked words and acronyms.

Some *were* quite harmless. I still felt the need to slim this topic down to the question and the answers as they relate to geocaching alone. Please respect the wishes of this site and post in a family-friendly manner. I do not want a discussion about my actions in this topic. If you have questions you can write me directly via private message or you can write to appeals@geocaching.com.

Thank you, and carry on.

Ivy Covered Tree (thought by some, with a warped sense of humour, to be the ideal hiding place for a camo'd micro)

P

AH! Thanks. Why didn't they just put that, then? By the way, a nano on a cattle grid beats a camo'd micro any day! Talk about needle in a haystack ................ :)

P

AH! Thanks. Why didn't they just put that, then? By the way, a nano on a cattle grid beats a camo'd micro any day! Talk about needle in a haystack ................ :D

or how about a nano near a cattle grid, with a deliberately ambiguous clue, such that we spend an hour carrying out a fingertip search of the entire cattle grid, before we found it somewhere else! cheeky wotsits...

oh the memories....

grrr :laughing:

edit to keep on topic... We also use in (often only in our personal notes); rhs, lhs, mtt, bot, dsw and rtb. Bonus points if you can decode them..!

Edited by purple_pineapple

edit to keep on topic... We also use in (often only in our personal notes); rhs, lhs, mtt, bot, dsw and rtb. Bonus points if you can decode them..!

our best shot is

rhs right hand side

lhs left hand side

mtt multi trunked tree

bot base of tree

dsw ??? but maybe didn't see wire :rolleyes::)

rtb round the back

our best shot is

rhs right hand side

lhs left hand side

mtt multi trunked tree

bot base of tree

dsw ??? but maybe didn't see wire :rolleyes::)

rtb round the back

ooh, good effort! dsw is actually quite well known, although we haven't had a forum discussion on it for a while now... Although I like the image that "didn't see wire :unsure: " formed in my head!

rtb is well known in our little corner of surrey - a peek at some of our placed caches will explain all!

our best shot is

rhs right hand side

lhs left hand side

mtt multi trunked tree

bot base of tree

dsw ??? but maybe didn't see wire :);)

rtb round the back

ooh, good effort! dsw is actually quite well known, although we haven't had a forum discussion on it for a while now... Although I like the image that "didn't see wire :( " formed in my head!

rtb is well known in our little corner of surrey - a peek at some of our placed caches will explain all!

Our version of dsw often needs your version of rtb to avoid a hoh :)

Edited by t.a.folk