Multi with orienteering clues

42at42

I was wondering if others would find this interesting.

I was out with my Scouts the other night and for the 1st time in 20 years I used a compass for orienteering purpose.

I thought it might be fun for use in a multi. eg. give the first cords, then use a bearing and distance as a 2nd and maybe 3rd clue, then cords to the final.

Orienteering isn't "basic" to geocaching, which is about using a gps and coordinates to find hidden caches.

Please, if you do write up a cache page with some bearings and distances, don't tell me I "need a compass". I don't. I have a gps, I'm perfectly capable of adding 180 to your bearing and walking away from the spot where you provide the bearing on that reverse bearing to the given distance. It's easier and more accurate than using a compass. I mention this because I'd say that 90% of "bearing and distance" caches I've read say, "you need a compass".

This isn't to knock the idea, or say it isn't fun. Many people enjoy it, and it's a good opportunity to teach - teach the reverse bearing notion. Heck I ought to place one - and say, "lotsa bearings and distances, and NO, you don't need a compass, you have a gps!"

I teach map and compass by the way. Interesting to watch people master it. Most of whom will never carry or use a compass again in their lives.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

These have been done before, and I think they are popular. I have not done one because I have not made the time. I did Orienteering in Scouts as well so I would get a kick out of doing it.

Here are two in Georgia that I now of:

Stone mountain cache

CMP Orienteering Challenge

If you do a keyword search on orienteering you will get couple pages of them.

Edited by Lakebum

Orienteering isn't "basic" to geocaching, which is about using a gps and coodinates to find hidden caches.

Please, if you do write up a cache page with some bearings and distances, don't tell me I "need a compass". I don't. I have a gps, I'm perfectly capable of adding 180 to your bearing and walking away from the spot where you provide the bearing on that reverse bearing to the given distance. It's easier and more accurate than using a compass. I mention this because I'd say that 90% of "bearing and distance" caches I've read say, "you need a compass".

Most GPS's, I think are capable of showing a bearings, even if it isn't an actual compass.

In the write up I would say "you need a compass" or "use the compass or bearing feature on your GPS".

Orienteering isn't "basic" to geocaching, which is about using a gps and coordinates to find hidden caches....

Projecting a waypoint seems a lot like electronic orienteering. It would seem that what you can do with a compass and bearing you can do with a GPS and thus they dovetail well. Never having successfully projected jack with my GPS I'd have a lot better luck with a hand held compass.

Projecting a waypoint seems a lot like electronic orienteering. It would seem that what you can do with a compass and bearing you can do with a GPS and thus they dovetail well. Never having successfully projected jack with my GPS I'd have a lot better luck with a hand held compass.

I haven't tried projecting a waypoint on my GPSr either. So far I've only done it on my computer. Seems like the easiest way to project a waypoint with the GPSr, assuming it is not too far away, is to turn in that direction and toss the GPSr :o

Back on topic, if it is fairly straightforward, it can be a multi. If it requires more than just basic projection of waypoints, then make it a mystery / puzzle. Of course, just my opinion, your reviewer has final (and only) say in the matter.

I was out with my Scouts the other night and for the 1st time in 20 years I used a compass for orienteering purpose.

I thought it might be fun for use in a multi. eg. give the first cords, then use a bearing and distance as a 2nd and maybe 3rd clue, then cords to the final.

Head to CO I have a bunch of them that use the old fashioned magnetic thing. Along with projections, resections, etc. etc.

I've done several multis that give distance and bearing to later stages. My GPSr will do this.

Most do mention that you'll have to project a waypoint, but sounds like you are already planning to do that. I don't think it'd be a problem.

[/quo

Trying to delete my post, because I already got my question answered! Oh well, maybe my next question should be, how do you delete a post??

Edited by Beege49

I have done several caches like this and they were fun, I even used a compass to make it more interesting.

That being said, and one scout to another, please don't call what the scouts do orienteering. It is waypoint projection at best. Orienteering is never done in the manner that I see scouting units do it. For proof of this, next time you see a scout group doing "orienteering" see if they have a map in their hands.

I think it is a great idea for a cache. I would make it a letterbox but whatever works for you.

I also teach map and compass and have to agree with the previous post that most students will never use it. BUT it is an essential skill to have in the back country.

Please post a link to the cache when you create it. Good luck.

Head to CO I have a bunch of them that use the old fashioned magnetic thing. Along with projections, resections, etc. etc.

Wow!! Took a look at a couple of your caches. Very nice. Wish I lived in the area.

Don't give all the bearing/distance figures on the webpage. Just the first and at that location they will find a container (hopefully not a micro) with the next one. If you do it on one page there is no reason to stop at the intermediate ones. Just do it on paper and go.

Also be aware that your stages count as waypoints and must be 528 from all other waypoints including hidden ones from puzzles or such as yours.

I have done several caches like this and they were fun, I even used a compass to make it more interesting.

That being said, and one scout to another, please don't call what the scouts do orienteering. It is waypoint projection at best. Orienteering is never done in the manner that I see scouting units do it. For proof of this, next time you see a scout group doing "orienteering" see if they have a map in their hands.

Feel free to send your boys to our troop(LSMO) for Orienteering MB. Our kids actually use the compass, and the map.

The Steaks

Feel free to send your boys to our troop(LSMO) for Orienteering MB. Our kids actually use the compass, and the map.

The Steaks

Talking of which, you missed a good discussion about Orienteering MB tonight at our meeting.

MTBoy's Disoriented integrates part of a permanent orienteering course at the BLM Science Center in Anchorage. One can navigate the course using the highly detailed orienteering map and a compass (though really good orienteers navigate by landmarks and terrain features on the run and rarely consult their compass), or by projecting waypoints scaled from the map. It was a lot of fun to complete the cache with a small group.

Call it pace and compass.. call it projections... call it shooting azimuths... but it's not Orienteering. Orienteering is navigation using a map. A compass is an optional tool that is usually only used to quickly check map orientation while on the move. Check your merit badge booklet for details, or better yet take your troop to an orienteering meet held by a local club. United States Orienteering Federation and My Webpage