Logging

Parabola

I know log's have gotten shorter and shorter over the year's, and I've gotten used to it and have just accepted it. But we aren't suppost to delete a real find log, unless it's saying something that isn't acceptable for the whole public to view.

Well, today I got a blank log. Nothing, zip zero zilch. I though ouch, maybe that's just how this person log's. Checked some other of their log's, and no about a sentence each find. Am I out of line to contact the logger and delete the log, and invite them to re-log with a log. Or is this just acceptable and get used to it?

I'm just wondering cause this took me off guard completely, and still kind of shocked over it.

Would like to hear what other people think about it. And please don't let this get ugly. It's an honest question.

You know you don't have to speak at a meeting if you don't want to. You're encouraged but not required. :laughing:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

No log, sux. I'de be scratching my head wondering how my cache was so bad it didn't even deserve a TFTC.

My name is Vater and I'm a cacheoholic.

Yeah, I thought it was with at least a TFTC. Especially this time of year, the garden's all around are really neat to look at and the walking trail around the area with a big fountain in the middle is kind of neat.

I didn't think you could leave a blank log by accident. I know you can do it intentionally.

They where a little testy on another on of mine they look for and couldn't find. I'm not going to worry about it, I just though it was very strange, and as a cache owner if I could do anything about it. I'll drop them an e-mail asking about it. Not that I can make them change it, but I hope it was an honest mistake.

Well, today I got a blank log. Nothing, zip zero zilch.

One log on my cache is a single letter of the alphabet, a letter "d", perhaps a critique of the cache experience (only a very deserving cache gets an "a"), or from a very young child who was told to "just type anything". I doubt that the written cache log has more than just the name and date (it is a micro after all).

I didn't press the issue, and certainly won't remove the log. Don't want an "f" next time...

Edited by kunarion

One log on my cache is a single letter of the alphabet, a letter "d", perhaps a critique of the cache experience (only a very deserving cache gets an "a"), or from a very young child who was told to "just type anything". I doubt that the written cache log has more than just the name and date (it is a micro after all).

I didn't press the issue, and certainly won't remove the log. Don't want an "f" next time...

No, it wasn't a micro. There is a 2 inch by 4 inch spiral note book in it. I agree most people don't write anything in logbook's anymore. Just sign and date it. Heck I've found a logbook that was a full size notebook and it was kind of sad to see just names, and date's, but then you will have a few people that will write about what ever was going threw their head at the time.

No, it wasn't a micro. There is a 2 inch by 4 inch spiral note book in it. I agree most people don't write anything in logbook's anymore. Just sign and date it. Heck I've found a logbook that was a full size notebook and it was kind of sad to see just names, and date's, but then you will have a few people that will write about what ever was going threw their head at the time.

For some people that blank log is about what was going through their head at the time.

pretty easy to leave blank logs via the iPhone app. I just logged a find on one of my caches and when I went to post a field note, I left the log section blank and auto submitted to the site and yeah, 100% blank, so maybe that's what's going on...

regardless, sucks when you don't get much for a log on your caches, but I don't think there is any reason to delete his log. Couple more finds and it'll be buried and you'll forget it ever happened. Some people aren't much for words, no harm done....

I actually had no idea it was even acceptable to write anything other than your name and date! I only started GeoCaching recently and just assumed that because everyone else puts only their name, and sign date, that that's what I am supposed to do as well.

I did, however, write a question to the last person who signed before me on a cache a couple weeks ago. I think it'd be way more fun and interesting if people wrote down more than just their name and sign date. People need encouragement, they may not know like I didn't!

Next time I find a cache with a reasonably sized log, I will write to my hearts content. If I hide a cache, I will kick off a conversation about a topic, and hopefully people will write their opinions. :laughing:

I recently started gecaching also. And every log I have found about 12 now has only been name and date. I thought that was how it was done.

Also when I log online, as noted, I am not a talke/writer, but thought they at least wanted to know that it would have a "last date found" so others would know it is still a good active cash.

I would also not be offened if mine was deleted.

Would like to hear what other people think about it.

Personally, I'd wonder if they got the right cache. If someone doesn't want to post much of a log that's their prerogative, but it's only happened on our easiest caches. I figure they're just on a cache run. Not much of a log--they probably missed out on the point of the cache and the surroundings. You can only lead the horse to water...

I have a hide at a beautiful spot in the Columbia River Gorge, so sometimes when I get the "TFTF!" log I feel disappointed. But since that's a popular route, I often get "Oh wow! I forgot about this place!" or "Caching thru on a visit from the east coast, beautiful site!" and I quickly forget the "TFTF" since I'm probably being hypocritical as I've left a few short logs myself.

I actually had no idea it was even acceptable to write anything other than your name and date! I only started GeoCaching recently and just assumed that because everyone else puts only their name, and sign date, that that's what I am supposed to do as well.

I did, however, write a question to the last person who signed before me on a cache a couple weeks ago. I think it'd be way more fun and interesting if people wrote down more than just their name and sign date. People need encouragement, they may not know like I didn't!

Next time I find a cache with a reasonably sized log, I will write to my hearts content. If I hide a cache, I will kick off a conversation about a topic, and hopefully people will write their opinions. :laughing:

I don't see them very often anymore, but if you find an older cache that still has an old log book in it, flip to the start of it or somewhere in the middle. You'll find some longer log's. There's a few great one's by me that the log book's are great to sit and read when you find the cache.

In fact, I've pulled some logbook's out and put in a new one, and got the one I pulled out back to the owner's of the cache. I thought there was just too good of stories in their and figured the cache owner would like to read them.

The way Groundspeak logs you out after five minutes when you're writing a log ...

Does this happen? I've never been loged out, and I'm not the fastest typing person :laughing:. With an average of 100 words per log ...

Oh yeah. The page will time out on you. But again I thought it was like 45 min. It's the same as if you writing a cache page. If you take too long it will time out on you and everything you did is gone.

Oh yeah. The page will time out on you. But again I thought it was like 45 min. It's the same as if you writing a cache page. If you take too long it will time out on you and everything you did is gone.

I've never encountered this before, and I've stopped writing a log halfway and had dinner before coming back to continue. But then my browser (Firefox) has been customized with so many add ons and scripts (like Prime Suspect's Log Maximizer) I'm not sure what's the normal behavior anymore.

Happened to me. Looking at the other caches this newbie found that day all but one had empty logs. The email alert showed it was done from one of the phone applications. I also contemplated emailing the cacher or deleting the non-log. I just left it. Did make a note to check the log book to make sure he signed that, its on my Monday to do list.

I am one of them that posts very little. Maybe my perspective can help some. (disclaimer: Never saying my way is right) I rarely post anything and I actually hate the idea of having to post a log along with the found it. For some of my reasons.

Unless something really neat happens when finding the log what is there to really say about a micro hanging in a pine tree. I walk 20 feet grab it sign and leave. Not much exciting nor memorable about it. We spend one day a week going out and finding 15 to 20 a day. They seem to become a blur after the 10th micro or so. Rarely does something stand out about each one. Now I am suppose to come back and post a story about the hide. It is hard to think of something.

I am not really a social person. I have no real desire to meet new people nor do I want people to know more about me and my life. It is rare that I come across anyone that I prefer to be any more than cordial with. This is a game I play with my family not the world. I enjoy going out geocaching(even getting the micros in the pine tree) and I like to spend the time with my daughter. Coming back and posting that we spent the day together is really not anyone's business nor do I want to advertise that we did so.

There are exceptions to the above. As today I meet a couple of other geocachers at a cache and we ended doing another multi together. I had a good time talking to them and enjoyed the hour or so we spent hunting. Will I attend a geocache event? The odds are in favor of no. Would I hunt with the 2 I met today again? Yes I would.

I use to never log finds at all since I was required to post something to the log. After awhile of keeping up with which I did in a spreadsheet got old I started logging. Now I have to spend 10 to 15 minutes a find to think of something trivial to say about the cache so I can get my smiley and filter it out of my next hunts.

Again I am not saying my way of thinking is right and I apologize if I offend anyone with what I said.

I am one of them that posts very little. Maybe my perspective can help some. (disclaimer: Never saying my way is right) I rarely post anything and I actually hate the idea of having to post a log along with the found it. For some of my reasons.

Unless something really neat happens when finding the log what is there to really say about a micro hanging in a pine tree. I walk 20 feet grab it sign and leave. Not much exciting nor memorable about it. We spend one day a week going out and finding 15 to 20 a day. They seem to become a blur after the 10th micro or so. Rarely does something stand out about each one. Now I am suppose to come back and post a story about the hide. It is hard to think of something.

I am not really a social person. I have no real desire to meet new people nor do I want people to know more about me and my life. It is rare that I come across anyone that I prefer to be any more than cordial with. This is a game I play with my family not the world. I enjoy going out geocaching(even getting the micros in the pine tree) and I like to spend the time with my daughter. Coming back and posting that we spent the day together is really not anyone's business nor do I want to advertise that we did so.

There are exceptions to the above. As today I meet a couple of other geocachers at a cache and we ended doing another multi together. I had a good time talking to them and enjoyed the hour or so we spent hunting. Will I attend a geocache event? The odds are in favor of no. Would I hunt with the 2 I met today again? Yes I would.

I use to never log finds at all since I was required to post something to the log. After awhile of keeping up with which I did in a spreadsheet got old I started logging. Now I have to spend 10 to 15 minutes a find to think of something trivial to say about the cache so I can get my smiley and filter it out of my next hunts.

Again I am not saying my way of thinking is right and I apologize if I offend anyone with what I said.

Please don't think I am trying to push my view of caching on you but you may want to try a different approach to this hobby. Take a little more time in the planning and try to find the caches that inspire you. If all you are finding are those that leave you with nothing to say you are possibly not getting all the fun out of it you could.

That does give me a different perspective. I'm just the opposite. I usually post a pretty long log, but it all depend's on the cache. I'm a pretty fast typer. But I know what you are saying about the 10th container stuck on a sign. It's hard to say much about that, unless something unique happens while you are there. But I do have some log's that took me three log post's (two notes and one found) to get it all in there. But I had a neat story to tell or the cache was something I really was looking for and had a great time hunting it.

Thank you for posting. :laughing: I do appreciate it to hear the view's of others. :laughing:

Would like to hear what other people think about it.

I'd just shake my head and forget about it.

The funny thing is after they left the blank log, they e-mailed me for a hint that night on another one of mine. So I do wonder if they where using the iPhone app or something on that order to log, that would allow one to make a blank log. Not that it's that hard to do. But I think that is what happened.

This is a game I play with my family not the world. I enjoy going out geocaching(even getting the micros in the pine tree) and I like to spend the time with my daughter. Coming back and posting that we spent the day together is really not anyone's business nor do I want to advertise that we did so.

I also don’t go into detail about private family matters.

So I sure hope there aren’t restrictions on the contents of a long log. Many of my logs are only tangentially related to cache trip itself, and often border on pure fantasy. Or worse, they go to great embarassing length about how badly I Failed To Find. I try to do something based on the cache “theme”. Part of this thread has me second-guessing my long logs, and whether they might be very annoying to people. Just don't go starting a thread about "Why are kunarion's logs so long and rambling when it could just as well have been a nice ALT-255".

But the adventure itself is uneventful, since my planning avoided, say, the fall off the cliff, or the encounter with the bear. The exception would be writing about those micros in pine trees – there’s always plenty of action. “I’m now covered head-to-toe in pine tar, I’ve got pine needles down my shirt and into places I’d rather not even mention, and I searched for that little beast for, oh, about 75 years.”

Edited by kunarion

My handwriting is dreadful, so the physical log book gets my signature and maybe a sentence or two about the cache experience.

Online I do like to say something positive about every cache I find, even if it's just "a nice walk on a beautiful sunny day". Sometimes I drone on a little longer than I should, and I have a bad habit of exaggerating any difficulties I may have had during the caching experience. I suspect this has led my local caching community to think of me as a clumsy oaf crashing through the woods like that Edgar bug from the Men In Black film, flailing around shouting, "Where is it!?"

A blank log is most likely a mistake. Maybe they didn't realise they were posting an actual log if using their phone app thingy. A friendly query might help.

Well, today I got a blank log. Nothing, zip zero zilch. I though ouch, maybe that's just how this person log's.

Maybe they logged it from the GC iPhone app, which lets users post their finds live to the website. If they log this way, it does allow for blank logs. It also has the option to post a field notes page for later editing and logging.

I normally use the field note option but don't write anything in the field note page because I'd rather write my log on the computer when I get home. When I do this, nothing appears on the cache page. However, the default option in the app is set for direct logging to the page and not using field notes. A couple days ago I upgraded to the newest version of the app and forgot to turn off the "live" logging feature.

We were caching this weekend and found our first cache. I went to log the find with a field note and realized after submitting it that I had just submitted a blank log. I quickly turned the live feature off so I was submitting field notes, but the blank log had been sent and was on the cache page. Of course, when I got home, I deleted it and posted a real log.

Edited to add a forgotten word.

Edited by Skippermark