New cache type please!

Delta68

In general, caches are no longer allowed to have Additional Logging Requirements

The rules now say that as long as the cache log has been signed, the found log must stay.

There are a few exceptions to this: Webcams, Virtuals, Earthcaches, (obviously as there is log to sign) Wherigos and 'Challenge Caches'

Spot the odd one out.

Yes! They are all specific cache types apart from the last one

We recently tried to set a couple of Challenge Caches but there are definite guidelines to adhere the main ones being:

the cache must be at the listed co-ordinates

and

a reasonable number of the community should be able to complete the challenge

I reckon this is different enough to a Puzzle/Unknown to warrant its own cache type.

Discuss

Thanks

Mark

I reckon this is different enough to a Puzzle/Unknown to warrant its own cache type.

I totaly agree with this, I was looking at a recently publishied cache in my area, (visit link) and to me it reads like a MASIVE ALR,

but after discussing it briefly in a caching chat room, we conluded it must be a "challenge cache"

Tho it is listed as an "unknown". . To my mind this is extreamly misleading and should be rectified.

I'd rather see them go away entirely,...

Ditto.

I don't see challenge caches as a unique cache type. They are a box just like everthing else. The entire unique thing about them is meeting the challenge. That's it. You don't need the box.

So I'd rather see challenge awards be automatic like they are with the Game Consoles. You do the work, you get the badge. This isn't so easy to program so Challenge Caches are a Plan B. Plan A works far better though.

I'd hate to lose out on a challenge just because I was too busy finding all the caches the challenge consists of to do the challenge.

Ditto.

I don't see challenge caches as a unique cache type. They are a box just like everthing else. The entire unique thing about them is meeting the challenge. That's it. You don't need the box.

So I'd rather see challenge awards be automatic like they are with the Game Consoles. You do the work, you get the badge. This isn't so easy to program so Challenge Caches are a Plan B. Plan A works far better though.

I'd hate to lose out on a challenge just because I was too busy finding all the caches the challenge consists of to do the challenge.

Just like an encryption puzzle is just a box/container, like every other cache. As long as you get there, it's all the same, eh?

You figure out the puzzle, you get the reward.

You complete the challenge, you get the reward.

Puzzles, challenges...similar, yet somehow different.

We recently tried to set a couple of Challenge Caches but there are definite guidelines to adhere the main ones being:

the cache must be at the listed co-ordinates

and

a reasonable number of the community should be able to complete the challenge

Perhaps the goal should be just spliting challenges into a new type, but dividing the catchall 'puzzle' into multiple sub groups. Puzzles you generally solve at home, puzzles you solve on location, puzzles completed by visiting tasks (challenges), etc.

I agree with creating a new cache type for challenges. However, I don't agree with having to go to a final cache to claim that the challenge was completed. I agree with one of the members above that if you complete a challenge, you can claim the log immediately after emailing the owner how you completed it. Similar to a virtual cache. But, I don't think that's going to end up changing.

I agree with creating a new cache type for challenges. However, I don't agree with having to go to a final cache to claim that the challenge was completed. I agree with one of the members above that if you complete a challenge, you can claim the log immediately after emailing the owner how you completed it. Similar to a virtual cache. But, I don't think that's going to end up changing.

That's not going to happen.

If a cache says, "I placed this cache to show you the great vista at the scenic overlook" and you go there and enjoy the great view but can't find the cache, does that mean you can log it as a find? I mean, you went there and saw the vista like the owner wanted and could maybe even post a picture that you visited the area...

Where do you draw the line? By placing a cache and making everyone sign in. That way there's no wishy washy stuff on either side.

Edited by Skippermark

I get it, but it will never happen. When was the last time a new icon was introduced?

I've been doing this for 5-6 years and never seen a new icon pop up. The unknown/puzzle icon will be the dumping ground of all new types of caches, no matter how unique or different they really are.

I get the feeling that a lot of the Geocachers that have been playing this game the longest, feel it is perfect, maybe a little resentful that us newer cachers might make "their" game different.

I get it, but it will never happen. When was the last time a new icon was introduced?

I've been doing this for 5-6 years and never seen a new icon pop up. The unknown/puzzle icon will be the dumping ground of all new types of caches, no matter how unique or different they really are.

I get the feeling that a lot of the Geocachers that have been playing this game the longest, feel it is perfect, maybe a little resentful that us newer cachers might make "their" game different.

Really? How about Wherigo, Mega and GPS Adventures Exhibit. All created within the last 5-6 years.

I like the idea of making Challenge caches their own icon. It seems to work for those who like them (to easily identify and distinguish from true puzzles) and those who don't like them (to avoid).

Really? Really? Wherigo, who decided to create that? Oh, yeah Groundspeak. Mega and GPS Adventures Exhibit, I see those ALL the time.

My point is Groundspeak pushes their own ideas to promote geoaching. So that they can have more people sign up. The more people that sign up, a portion of that is going to buy a membership. It's all about the money.

No icon has been submitted in the forums and seriously considered.

A challenge cache icon would be a good idea, I own one myself, but it doesn't make anymore money than doing nothing. It might actually cost money to implement.

Ditto.

Just like an encryption puzzle is just a box/container, like every other cache. As long as you get there, it's all the same, eh?

You figure out the puzzle, you get the reward.

You complete the challenge, you get the reward.

Puzzles, challenges...similar, yet somehow different.

You lost me. The entire point of a challenge cache isn't the cache. It's the challenge. That's why automatic awards like games use does exactly the same thing automaticly rather than forcing someone to sponsor the cache. If some poor sod doesn't clone a challenge for an area folks can't complet the challenge (actually they can they just have no way to get a "prize").

We aren't on the same page on this though.

Oh but buy the rules you already have the reward since they require a challenge cache to be at the posted location. So it's not a puzzle at all. It's just an ALR that this site likes.

Really? Really? Wherigo, who decided to create that? Oh, yeah Groundspeak. Mega and GPS Adventures Exhibit, I see those ALL the time.

My point is Groundspeak pushes their own ideas to promote geoaching. So that they can have more people sign up. The more people that sign up, a portion of that is going to buy a membership. It's all about the money.

No icon has been submitted in the forums and seriously considered.

A challenge cache icon would be a good idea, I own one myself, but it doesn't make anymore money than doing nothing. It might actually cost money to implement.

I beg to differ, the Mega event icon was created as a direct result of forum threads. That icon came after 2005 as I had to add it to the Icon SP profile.

If I recall correctly the coin icons are also a result of forum request.

Also the Small cache size was introduced as a request from forum users.

I ran a search and came up with a couple hundred threads on cache catagories, and couldn't go through every one of them, so if my thought has been discussed before I appologize but I couldn't find it.

Instead of a challenge cache catagory, why not a "Puzzle Cache" catagory? The Mystery/Unknown catagory we have now does include Mystery, Puzzle, and Unknown in the name depending on what part of GC.com you are looking at, so this catagory already has different subcatagories that are not widely recognized or used. Why not break the largest into it's own catagory with it's own icon, and let COs make the changes over time or trough attrition?

423.gif <<< Something simular to DRunner's all in one geocoin image.

Looking at some of the challenge caches accross the US on the two main challenge cache bookmarks that I use;

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...9f-1925b1621db1

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...b3-7fe026bf883d

I see around 850 challence caches, and I fairly sure that this number will grow over time, but does that warrent it's own catagory? Compared to the thousands of Puzzle caches I think that the unknown/mystery caches would be better suited to incorporate challenge caches and then separate the puzzles from that catagory with their own.

Yes I know it would be work for every active puzzle cache owner to go in and select that their cache is now a puzzle and not just a mystery / unknown. If they are not active and maintaining their caches then the Unknown part of mystery/unknown would still apply.

And I know that everybody's cache list would become skewed due to a change like this, but I do think that it would be a better representation overall of the caches types that all of us have gone after.

Thoughts?

MYater

I'd rather see the cache type scheme changed or see a new "genre" type introduced. Adding cache types willy nilly really isn't going to fix the problem laying under the surface. This thread is only dealing with one genre. What about urban micros, urban epics, nice hikes, scenic tours, etc. etc.?

The Challenge caches I've heard of in the area you can find and sign the logbook, just don't log it online until you've met the challenge.

There's one puzzle in my area where the cache is at a location , but you can't log until you get a golf ball on a tee in a snowglobe. I signed the log, but never got the ball on the tee.