Signing Log

dc.hiker

I found a magnatized cache on a highway sign that was a good 2-3 feet above my head and out of reach. I had no way to reach the magnetic key box. Is this logged as a 'find' or a 'did not find' because I could not sign the log? I didn't stumble across this, and specifically went after this on a cross country trip.

I have found other caches (nano's) where the log was full, or others that were wet and it couldn't be signed... so are these a 'find' or a 'did not find'?

does the log need to be signed in order to count it as a find?

When I am out caching, if I find the cache and can open it, then I consider it a find, even if the log is too wet to sign. I keep a sharpie with me, so that way, even if the log is wet, I can sign the plastic bag, the cache itself or anything to show that I was actually there. I usually have an extra piece of paper with me too, so I can sign that and put it in the cache if needed.

If I find the cache, but it has been destroyed (I found one that was a birdhouse attached to a tree that was hit by lightning. The cache was literally blown up.), I will clean up the area the best I can, put what I can find of the cache back together and log it as a find. I will also log it as "Needs Maintenance" so the owner knows something should be done and other cachers will be aware.

If I see it, but can not get to it, then I don't consider it a find.

That's what walking sticks are for.

Jim

A stick can knock it down, but a grabber can put it back :blink:

Or you can push it back up with the stick. Unless, of course, the cache owner has a supply of aluminum magnets. :D Or you can lift it with it on the basket and leaning against the tip.

Jim

If I can't reach the container for whatever reason then I do not claim the find. If I can't open the container I will email the cache owner and let them know what I found and the problem with the container. They can decide if it is a find. I am ok either way.

I would never sign a container since that seems kinda like vandalism to me. Just my opinion and the way I play.

This thread is going well so far. The last time I recall someone asking a similar question, it devolved into a 3 page flame fest :blink:

To the OP, my views are pretty much in-line with the other posts, so count this as a "me too". As for wet logs, I usually carry some spare log sheets and plastic baggies. Some others said they've dried wet logs on their cars (if the car is nearby, of course).

I use a uniball powertank pressurized red pen. It has been known to successfully write on all but the mushiest of soggy logs. As for full nano logs - I make some mark (initials) somewhere on it or change it out. If it is out of reach - I have not overcome the "challenge" as presented by the cache owner and cannot log a "find" - I DNF those.

I have a cache that is placed above head head for average adults and have specified in the description that to claim a find you have to retrieve and sign the log - and this is reflected in the terrain rating and special equipment requirement

If you have been to a GZ where you could reasonably have expected to find a cache without needing special equipment then I feel you should be able to claim a smiley

OP, opinions on this are wide and varied. What do you feel is "the right thing to do?"

My personal view is that if I do not sign the log on a physical cache, then I do not claim a find online. In the case of wet logs, I too usually carry replacement supplies, and always a sharpie to write even on the wettest of logs. If a log is full, I find a spot in the margins to make my mark. If all the above would not work, I'd write a "needs maintenance" log about the situation.

At a minimum you should retrieve the cache to claim a find. There is a cache that was 20' down a cliff about 30 miles away. We spend an afternoon trying to get the cache and failed. We aren't rock climbers. That was a fun afternoon but a no find just the same even though the cache was in plain sight the entire time.

Once you retrieve the cache sign the log if at all possible. Nobody is going to begrudge you a find if you forgot your pen, or the log is too full. But you should have been able to sign it if there were a log that could be sign.

I love seeing online logs where people write, "found cache, did not sign, TFTH"

or even better, 3 DNF's in a row, the CO saying it's gone and it will be replaced soon, followed again, by a "found the cache, did not sign"

oh well, each to their own :blink:

I haven't come across any that I found, but couldn't sign, but if I did, would not log a find until I could sign the log in one way or another.

People like me put caches like that so they are harder to get. I have a cache that is in plain sight but unless you have a couple gallons of water with you you won't be able to retrieve it. You can look at it all you want though.

No signey, no loggey. Unless the log is unsignable, then that is a DNF.

I keep a sharpie with me, so that way, even if the log is wet, I can sign the plastic bag, the cache itself or anything to show that I was actually there.

:):blink::mad::)

No sign, no find. That's the way the game works. I keep some paper in my caching bag for occasions that I find a log that is full or too wet to sign. I add a page (or piece in the case of a micro or nano).

If I can't reach it, I don't log it. I also don't log a DNF if it's out of reach. I consider a cache being in a tree that I couldn't (or wouldn't) negotiate a non-hunt. I didn't go the distance. Now, if I had gotten in the tree and didn't find it, I'd log a DNF.

Regardless of the nature of the hide you really need to sign the log and have the 'cache in hand' to count it as a find.