Spell check Before Publishing Cache

NYSandy23

I did a search for this topic and only seemed to find it related to the forums.

Is there any way to place a spell check on the Groundspeak pages that lead toward the publication of cache pages? An occasional misspelled word is sometimes okay, but for many cache pages the spelling is atrocious. Even if not possible, perhaps a reminder on the page itself to run a spell check before submitting it for publication would be helpful.

Does anyone else find this lack of both decent spelling and poor grammar annoying?

Edited by NYSandy23
I did a search for this topic and only seemed to find it related to the forums.

Is there any way to place a spell check on the Groundspeak pages that lead toward the publication of cache pages. An occasional misspelled word is sometimes okay, but for many cache pages the spelling is atrocious. Even if not possible, perhaps a reminder on the page itself to run a spell check before submitting it for publication would be helpful.

Does anyone else find this lack of both decent spelling and poor grammar annoying?

Sure do - the first sentence of your second paragraph is a question without a question mark. :blink:

In all seriousness - Geocaching is an international game. While the majority of the caches are hidden in the U.S., there are caches hidden in other countries as well. I would think the onus on spell-check and grammar-check would be on the individual to use proper language and not have THIS particular site tell you how to do it. If you want to have things spell-checked and grammar-checked, let Mr. Gates and his army of grammarians tell you the correct way and then cut-and-paste it into the description. Then cachers speaking other languages can do the same with their own spell checkers. :D

Literacy is not what it used to be.

I make all possible attempts to be grammatically correct, and to spell correctly, thus to distract the reader less by my mistakes, so they can concentrate on the actual meaning of what I have written.

I concur. On the other hand, I like to believe many of the more obvious mistakes could be prevented by a simple proof read before publishing. I see some of the same sort of errors at work in the narratives of professionals.

Literacy is not what it used to be.

I make all possible attempts to be grammatically correct, and to spell correctly, thus to distract the reader less by my mistakes, so they can concentrate on the actual meaning of what I have written.

I'm not an english major but isn't this a run on sentence? :blink:

Yes, thank-you! I was hoping someone would find something wrong there.

Yes, poor spelling and incorrect grammar can be annoying, but I find that the spelling and grammar found on a cache page can be a good indication of cache quality. Those that are careless in their written expression are also more likely to be careless with other details.

I expect that if a cacher would submit the type of cache page the OP is addressing there is very little chance they would use a spell check or grammar check utility. Those of us who care already try to do these things.

As has been mentioned this is a global game so cachers need to take on the responsibility of managing their own cache pages.

And while we can hope for better language usage I think we are not doing ourselves any favors by belittling those who have less developed communication skills.

Hope I don't have any typos or grammar errors in this post. :blink:

Yes, poor spelling and incorrect grammar can be annoying, but I find that the spelling and grammar found on a cache page can be a good indication of cache quality. Those that are careless in their written expression are also more likely to be careless with other details.

I wasn't going to go there, but I agree with you, Ed.

Ok, I too will come out of the closet as not wanting to go there, but waited for Ed to do it. :rolleyes:

For the original poster, it can be annoying, but I doubt anything will ever be done, other than suggesting use of firefox or spellcheckers. C'mon now, who doesn't love a cache description that looks like it was texted in by a 15 yr. old?

And of course sometimes those misspelled words are intentional subtile clues. Wooden want to leaf those out of a description.

PS: WARNING!!!! somewhat off topic.....

Just saw on the news that most large corporations that are currently hiring, are discarding all resumes and applications that contain a single misspelled word or grammatical error. They just have too many to wade through and need to reduce the pile to a manageable level.

Edited by edscott

And of course sometimes those misspelled words are intentional subtle clues. Wooden want to leaf those out of a description.

PS: WARNING!!!! somewhat off topic.....

Just saw on the news that most large corporations that are currently hiring, are discarding all resumes and applications that contain a single misspelled word or grammatical error. They just have too many to wade through and need to reduce the pile to a manageable level.

Sub-tile? You mean the cache is under the tile!??

'I'm sorry Miss Jones, but we here at BigCorp.com highly value correct spelling and grammar, and since the position you are applying for is exceptionally visible to the general public, spelling and grammar are most important. Our research has revealed that you are a Geocacher, and that you have several mis-spellings and many cases of questionable grammar on your owned cache pages. We regret that we cannot hire you at this time.'