Are library caches acceptable?

I'd like to place a cache in our local library (geared towards kids as many of my caches are), but I could swear I've read something about them being unacceptable. I've searched the forums and read the cache placement guidlines as best I could and cannot find a clear answer.

Does anyone know, are library caches acceptable?

There has been some discussion that they may not involve GPS usage to be found (or hidden), and therefore not qualify as 'Geocaches'.

Assuming permission from the library staff, I don't think they are wrong per se, but the GPS usage question does put a bit of a kink in it.

Ask your reviewer, they will have the final say if your idea is acceptable or not.

There has been some discussion that they may not involve GPS usage to be found (or hidden), and therefore not qualify as 'Geocaches'.

Assuming permission from the library staff, I don't think they are wrong per se, but the GPS usage question does put a bit of a kink in it.

Ask your reviewer, they will have the final say if your idea is acceptable or not.

I was thinking it would be either a multi or a puzzle cache. The GPS coordinates would take you to the building where you find a plaque on the outside of the building. Clues from the plaque would guide you to the next stage, inside the library. While it would be fairly easy, being a kid cache, I would not indulge the fact that it is a library anywhere in the title or on the cache page; the only way to find it would be with a GPSr.

I'm thinking as long as I'm careful to follow the guidelines closely, I should be ok. I will also contact my local reviewer for input.

I was thinking it would be either a multi or a puzzle cache. The GPS coordinates would take you to the building where you find a plaque on the outside of the building. Clues from the plaque would guide you to the next stage, inside the library. While it would be fairly easy, being a kid cache, I would not indulge the fact that it is a library anywhere in the title or on the cache page; the only way to find it would be with a GPSr.

I'm thinking as long as I'm careful to follow the guidelines closely, I should be ok. I will also contact my local reviewer for input.

What if your receiver doesn't work inside the building?

I've got a library cache. It's called The Rainy Day Cache

The coords are for the parking lot and I've included the Dewey Decimal number in the cache page. As you can guess this is a 1.1 hide.

As long as you get permission from the head librarian you're good to go. Make sure that the library staff know where your cache is hidden. That way they can help any lost Cachers. :cool:

I'd be interested to hear from a reviewer on this subject. All this talk has gotten me to thinking. :laughing:

Wouldn't making it a letterbox get around that. Published coordinates take you to the front door. A set of instructions take you the rest of the way.

I've done some where part of the puzzle was figuring out the co-ordinates of the front door and the other part was figuring out the call number of the log book. It was placed with permission of the librarian and was a BYOP sign only cache. The book was in the reference section so it would not be checked out. Story sucked but had a big cast of characters. :cool:

Jim

First of all, keep in mind that just because a cache of this type exists today, there's no precedent, so your cache won't be acceptable based on that fact.

One that I've done was a multi that involve projecting a waypoint from the 2nd stage to lead you to the entrance of the library. Silly me, I didn't realize it would be INSIDE until that point.

The closest cache to my house is hidden in a library, so if its exceptable so is yours.

Not necessarily true as placement guidelines do change.

Even though a similar cache may already exist, any new placements still must meet the current guidelines.

Not every reviewer approves of library caches. NewYorkAdmin archived one in my area not too long ago that was located in a library because s/he discovered it was hidden inside and not outside as the owner assured him/her when they submitted the cache proposal.

Archived most likely due to the deception rather than the location.

Libraries across the nation are starting GPS-lending and geocaching programs, so I expect that you will see more caches hidden inside them.

As I said, I thought I remembered hearing some controversary a while back, it's obvious there are many different opinions on this one. I AM aware that just because certain caches exist does not mean they will be acceptable today, I learned that through trial & error.

I think my best bet is to check with my local reviewers.

I checked the coordinated today, to be sure they weren't too close to any other caches. Wouldn't you know it, they are! Too close to only ONE cache, ONE OF MINE! Go figure! So now my dilemna is do I move my current cache (which has been well-received) to make this new library kid cache??? What to do....what to do......

Thanks for the replies, I'd still like to hear from a reviewer on this one if you're listening....

Edited by MsMotorcycle

Lots of different plaques outside the library, requiring the use of GPS to determine the right one? Then, yeah, that would probably satisfy the GPS usage requirement. Otherwise...

Prime Suspect, not sure I understand.......

Since there will be no indication of the location in the title or description, they won't know to go to the plaque on the library until they use their GPSr to get them there. Kind of like any multi that takes you to a first set of coords, they don't make you choose from several different sets of coords before you can move on to the next waypoint, you use the ones they give you on the cache page. Why would they make you choose from several plaques? WP1 is WP1, whether it leads to a little slip of paper or a plaque or whatever.

I could see if the description said "cache is in library, clues are on plaque on front of building." Then a person could find it without coords, which I know is talked about clearly in the guidelines, this would be a cache that could be found without a GPSr, which is clearly not allowed.

I appreciate all the input, you've all given me lots of indication that I really need to be sure I have everything in order before I go forward.

Edited by MsMotorcycle

Since there will be no indication of the location in the title or description, they won't know to go to the plaque on the library until they use their GPSr to get them there. Kind of like any multi that takes you to a first set of coords, they don't make you choose from several different sets of coords before you can move on to the next waypoint, you use the ones they give you on the cache page. Why would they make you choose from several plaques? WP1 is WP1, whether it leads to a little slip of paper or a plaque or whatever.

I could see if the description said "cache is in library, clues are on plaque on front of building." Then a person could find it without coords, which I know is talked about clearly in the guidelines, this would be a cache that could be found without a GPSr, which is clearly not allowed.

I appreciate all the input, you've all given me lots of indication that I really need to be sure I have everything in order before I go forward.

The idea behind the requirement is that there is the option to use GPS as an integral part of of the cache hunt. This is the reason people are suggesting a multi with the first part a plaque or some other sign outside the library. Even better would be to hide a cache outside the library that contains the clues necessary to find the final with the log to sign inside the library. That way the finder will have the option to used the GPS to find the plaque, sign, or cache hidden outside the library. Once they have used their GPS in this part of the search, the cache will have met the listing guidelines. They can go inside an look for a particular Dewey decimal number or whatever. Simply putting all the information on the cache page and posting the coordinates for the front door of library will generally not satisfy the requirement.

Not every reviewer approves of library caches. NewYorkAdmin archived one in my area not too long ago that was located in a library because s/he discovered it was hidden inside and not outside as the owner assured him/her when they submitted the cache proposal.

In that case, the cache was not archived because it was in a library, but because the CO was not being honest about where it was placed.

What it really boils down to here with whether or not the use of a GPS is an integral part of the hunt. A cache for which the published coordinates just takes you to the building and they you go in and find a book based on a call number (not all libraries used dewey decimal...the term "call number" is more frequently used) that is the cache listing might not be good enough. However, a cache where you have to visit 1 or more locations to get the numbers/letters in the call number might be fine.

I'd be interested to hear from a reviewer on this subject. All this talk has gotten me to thinking. :wub:

Wouldn't making it a letterbox get around that. Published coordinates take you to the front door. A set of instructions take you the rest of the way.

As long as not the use of a GPS was an integral part of the hunt (a directy quote from the guidelines) you could make it a letterbox/hybrid. If not, you could only make it a letterbox and publish a listing for it on one of the many letterbox sites.

In that case, the cache was not archived because it was in a library, but because the CO was not being honest about where it was placed.

What it really boils down to here with whether or not the use of a GPS is an integral part of the hunt. A cache for which the published coordinates just takes you to the building and they you go in and find a book based on a call number (not all libraries used dewey decimal...the term "call number" is more frequently used) that is the cache listing might not be good enough. However, a cache where you have to visit 1 or more locations to get the numbers/letters in the call number might be fine.

As I understand it, there were several reasons that the reviewer would not have approved the cache if the owner had made an honest proposal. One of those reasons would have been that the cache was located inside the library. (By the way, the owner was honest with the library staff. There were several logs that described helpful librarians aiding cachers.)

Here is the what the reviewer wrote when they archived the cache:

______________________________________________________________________________________

quote:

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The above quote comes from the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines and tells us a geocache may not be placed entirely within a building. At the time this one was reviewed the owner assured me it was a multi part cache with the final outside in a bush. Based on the quote below from the cache owner I published the cache

quote:

The cache IS NOT inside the building. You told me to move it outside, and I did. The cacher has to manipulate (as you call it) R 000.1 and the word epilogue. If they are looking up information in a book, that is research. Once again, as you directed the cache is outside, in the bush, just behind the curb.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Recently a new cache came into the review queue that was located within a library. I asked the owner to rework the cache so that part if it was outside and include gps usage. He reasoned that since this cache was inside a library and he copied it his should be published too. Since I was spending the holiday in the Adirondacks I decided to stop by and take a look at this one. Sure enough, it’s a book on the library shelf. No container, a required part of a geocache, no cache in the bush outside, no stage two, just a book inside the library. See photos.

Since this is not the cache I reviewed and published and that the cache owner intentionally deceived me during the review process to skirt the guidelines the only option I have is to archive this cache.

Reviewing geocaches is largely dependent on trust. Trust is a fragile thing and easy to obtain but once lost its hard to recover.

if you believe that I have acted inappropriately, you may send an email with complete details, waypoint name (GC*****) and a link to the cache, to Groundspeak’s special address for this purpose: appeals@geocaching.com.

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Geocaching.com

.... Since I was spending the holiday in the Adirondacks I decided to stop by and take a look at this one. Sure enough, it’s a book on the library shelf. No container, a required part of a geocache, no cache in the bush outside, no stage two, just a book inside the library. See photos.

Since this is not the cache I reviewed and published and that the cache owner intentionally deceived me during the review process to skirt the guidelines the only option I have is to archive this cache. ...

Just a comment on the quoted comment above.

A cache container isn't required though I've heard some folks leaning that way. A log book is required. Thats it.

As for a book, a simple journal serving as the cache and log would be perfect. It would be somewhat pathetic to have to hollow out a book just to put a log book inside the book for the sake of needing a container.

.... Since I was spending the holiday in the Adirondacks I decided to stop by and take a look at this one. Sure enough, it’s a book on the library shelf. No container, a required part of a geocache, no cache in the bush outside, no stage two, just a book inside the library. See photos.

Since this is not the cache I reviewed and published and that the cache owner intentionally deceived me during the review process to skirt the guidelines the only option I have is to archive this cache. ...

A cache container isn't required though I've heard some folks leaning that way. A log book is required. Thats it.

The guidelines say a container is required:

"Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook."

"Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook."

Define container? I wouldn't really consider it a stretch of the definition if a log sheet was taped inside the book cover.

"Traditional Caches

Define container? I wouldn't really consider it a stretch of the definition if a log sheet was taped inside the book cover.

I agree.

If this is a container

flat.jpg

then a book can be a container

Edited by bittsen

Obviously, just leading someone to a plaque won't give them enough information to find a cache in the library. You're going to have to explain what's needs to be done, or at least give a pretty good clue. It's going to be pretty obvious what they need to look for.

A container is required. IMO, a book with a log sheet inside would be a container. A magnetic sheet, like bittsen's example, with a log sheet in a pocket on the back is a container. Some reviewers have taken to saying that just a log book, or a magnetic sheet where you signed the back of the sheet, is not a container. A reviewer may be within his/her rights to use this literal reading of the guidelines in order to archive a cache, but it has the appearance of the reviewer looking for technicalities to archive a cache he/she didn't like. It seems to me that a container and a log could be one-in-the-same item.

I don't think this was the case with the cache in New York. Despite Princess Caroline's assertion that New York Admin told the cache owner that the cache could not be inside the library, this is not my reading of note the reviewer left. It seems that the cache owner misunderstood the reviewers explanation that part of the cache hunt had to have the option of using the GPS. By falsely claiming the cache was not in the library they broke the trust with the reviewer who has the difficult task of determining the whether or not a cache meets the guidelines based on the input the cache owner provides. Had the cache owner understood the guidelines, he/she could have made a library cache that would be withing the guidelines. But instead they lied to get a cache approved.

A container is required. IMO, a book with a log sheet inside would be a container. A magnetic sheet, like bittsen's example, with a log sheet in a pocket on the back is a container. Some reviewers have taken to saying that just a log book, or a magnetic sheet where you signed the back of the sheet, is not a container. A reviewer may be within his/her rights to use this literal reading of the guidelines in order to archive a cache, but it has the appearance of the reviewer looking for technicalities to archive a cache he/she didn't like. It seems to me that a container and a log could be one-in-the-same item.

I don't think this was the case with the cache in New York. Despite PrinTess Caroline's assertion that New York Admin told the cache owner that the cache could not be inside the library, this is not my reading of note the reviewer left. It seems that the cache owner misunderstood the reviewers explanation that part of the cache hunt had to have the option of using the GPS. By falsely claiming the cache was not in the library they broke the trust with the reviewer who has the difficult task of determining the whether or not a cache meets the guidelines based on the input the cache owner provides. Had the cache owner understood the guidelines, he/she could have made a library cache that would be withing the guidelines. But instead they lied to get a cache approved.

The container in the case of the NY cache was simply the logbook. There was no log sheet inside. It seems bizarre to me that a book with a log sheet might be acceptable, while just the logbook would not.

After re-reading the reviewer's note a few more times with tozainamboku's points in mind, I think that both the cache owner and I may have misunderstood the reviewer's objections to the cache. If there had been some puzzle that involved the GPS to discover the location of the cache in the library, it probably would have been acceptable. By cutting the dialog short with lies that would satisfy the reviewer, the owner not only broke the trust of the reviewer but also denied cachers of a more interesting and enduring cache.

I'd be interested to hear from a reviewer on this subject. All this talk has gotten me to thinking. :)

A Reviewer I'm not, but I am quite the Letterbox-Hybrid enthusiast. As far as the guidelines, CacheDrone, and myself are concerned, simply providing starting co-ords does not satisfy the need for GPS usage.

If you read the cache pages for any of my three LBHs, you'll see that they all have you collect information, and then use that information to project from a point to the final. For a Library letterbox, I suppose that you could have a letterbox element leading to a projection, that projection could take you to a tree outside of the library bearing a tag with the book's call number on it.

I have a Library cache, and it's pretty simple - I just gave co-ords for the Library's back door and said that all you need is the cache name (which happens to be the call number). CacheDrone (obviously approved this, but some of the pickier reviewers would argue that although the cache has a log, it lacks a container... I don't necessarily agree with this, but it's certainly something to consider.

On the general topic of Library caches an their (for lack of a better term) 'legality' in the caching world, it depends on your reviewer. As I said, CacheDrone published my library cache with no trouble (aside from a very minor miscommunication on my part that was quickly worked out), but others are much pickier. Somebody in this thread has already mentioned NewYorkAdmin. A good friend of mine has a fake book hidden in the library in Ogdensburg, but can't get it approved. NewYorkAdmin wouldn't approve it, as it didn't really require GPS usage, and so he went back down there a little while later and put a tag in that gives you the call number for the book. You find the tag using GPS technology, and then go and find the book. Simple as that. Here's the problem - In the time that it took him to put in that tag, somebody else put a lame micro in nearby - It was deemed that the tag was proximitied out. No problem, he went and moved the tag, but there was still a problem with the book being too close to this micro. My Library cache is too close to a stage of a multi as well - CacheDrone & I agreed that the fact that one is inside and the other outside constituted enough of a physical barrier, and my cache was approved...

As I said, it all depends on who your reviewer is, and what their personal feelings are. I've found that most reviewers are pretty reasonable, especially if you are diplomatic and put forth a reasonable argument.

I'd be interested to hear from a reviewer on this subject. All this talk has gotten me to thinking. :)
A Reviewer I'm not, but I am quite the Letterbox-Hybrid enthusiast. As far as the guidelines, CacheDrone, and myself are concerned, simply providing starting co-ords does not satisfy the need for GPS usage. ...
That depends on the rest of the cache page. If the cache name or description makes it obvious that you are searching for a book in the library, then you are correct, coords to the front door will not be sufficient. However, if that info cannot be easily sussed merely by reading the cache page, coords to the front door might be perfectly fine.
As I said, it all depends on who your reviewer is, and what their personal feelings are. I've found that most reviewers are pretty reasonable, especially if you are diplomatic and put forth a reasonable argument.
I reject the idea that caches are disallowed in one area that would not be not be allowed in others simply because a local reviewer has a too conservative take on the guidelines. The appeals process exist to ensure that any individual reviewer does not take a more restrictive view than they should. If you have a cache denied when you believe it meets the guidelines, submit an appeal.

"Traditional Caches

If the container holds the log book that's enough. Thus the container and the log can be one and the same. Otherwise you get into debates over the minimal container size. Do you need a 2 mil poly wrap around the book to make the journal a container? Do you need to cut out the larger book to hold the smaller book to meet the rule? This is an area where the guidlines need some flexability.

"Traditional Caches

If the container holds the log book that's enough. Thus the container and the log can be one and the same. Otherwise you get into debates over the minimal container size. Do you need a 2 mil poly wrap around the book to make the journal a container? Do you need to cut out the larger book to hold the smaller book to meet the rule? This is an area where the guidlines need some flexability.

...does there have to be a cover on the logbook at all or can you just staple papers together. Do you need the staple?

Obviously a thin strip of paper rolled up counts as a logbook (nano cache) or we'd have a bunch of caches that don't meet that guideline. Containers are the same way - there is some interpretation as to what counts as one. A ziploc baggie? Nope. A thin magnet with a sticker attached for a log? Yep.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

I will do all my homework, plan this one carefully, make sure it falls within the guidelines, seek the help and advice of my local reviewer and place this library cache within the next month or so. It will use a GPSr several times, involve an actual cache container hidden outside, and best of all it will be fun for kids!

Maybe in the process, it will bring a few kids back to this really cool place that many children don't even know exist anymore..... the library! LOL! :D

Happy caching!

Thanks again everyone for the input!

I will do all my homework, plan this one carefully, make sure it falls within the guidelines, seek the help and advice of my local reviewer and place this library cache within the next month or so. It will use a GPSr several times, involve an actual cache container hidden outside, and best of all it will be fun for kids!

Maybe in the process, it will bring a few kids back to this really cool place that many children don't even know exist anymore..... the library! LOL! :D

Happy caching!

Sounds great, but you should know that you can, in fact, place teh actual cache container inside the library.

Sounds great, but you should know that you can, in fact, place teh actual cache container inside the library.

I happen to agree, as long as I do things correctly I will be fine and in the end, I will rely on my local reviewer for the final say. Thanks SO MUCH for the input!

(I had no idea my little question would spark so many replies!)

use of a GPS was an integral part of the hunt

This has come up before in a discussion on Letterbox Hybrids and the statement from a reviewer was to the effect of "coordinates to a parking lot followed by hints/directions to the final do not constitute integral part of the hunt".

Depending on the reviewer, you might not be able to have coords to the outside of the library and then clues/hints/directions to the inside.

I'm paraphrasing and I and others asked for an explanation, but never got it.

I'm looking for the exact thread now and the exact quote from the reviewer.