Deleting Spoilers

I had a cacher find 2 of my hides today and on both counts stated they forgot to sign the log . I know the golden rule is no signature = no find . But I was willing to let both go .

Until the cacher posted a picture of my micro ( rated 3 difficulty ) in it's exact hiding spot . I've had many logs stating it's a tricky hide and in my opinion the cachers pic compromised the whole cache . So I deleted the log to get rid of the picture .

I emailled the cacher telling her I deleted the log and she could repost the find MINUS the picture .

Thing is this cacher has a bad habit of posting pictures that compromise hides . In my opinion....any spoilers should be done by the CO.....not the cachers doing the finds .

And I'm curious...how does one forget to sign logs on 2 caches that are just over 500 feet apart ?

Opinions please

I had a cacher find 2 of my hides today and on both counts stated they forgot to sign the log . I know the golden rule is no signature = no find . But I was willing to let both go .

Until the cacher posted a picture of my micro ( rated 3 difficulty ) in it's exact hiding spot . I've had many logs stating it's a tricky hide and in my opinion the cachers pic compromised the whole cache . So I deleted the log to get rid of the picture .

I emailled the cacher telling her I deleted the log and she could repost the find MINUS the picture .

Thing is this cacher has a bad habit of posting pictures that compromise hides . In my opinion....any spoilers should be done by the CO.....not the cachers doing the finds .

And I'm curious...how does one forget to sign logs on 2 caches that are just over 500 feet apart ?

Opinions please

Well if she posted the pictures it probably safe to assume she found the caches. How did she forget? Her mind was distracted by the nearby studmuffin. Or maybe it is her habit to not open the cache to sign the logbook. As for deleting the logs, I don't see a problem.

Jim

Opinions please

You did what I would have done except i would have asked her to go back and sign the log after posting the spoiler.

Opinions please

Perhaps she has arthritis (or something of that ilk) and can find the caches OK, but either cannot open them or sign the log.

If that is the case, she may not want to mention it in logs and so instead 'forgets' to bring a pen or sign the log.

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

are they new? i know sometimes when attacked by bugs its can be hard to remember to sign the log (though i have never forgotten) Also I was much more 'loose' with what pictures I posted when still under 10 finds. Now I won't show the cache container if its not described in the description. I am also careful not to show the the direct location with my picture. I can see though how someone new could make the picture mistake. I have had to gone through and delete some of my pictures that I felt gave to much away.

Its hard to learn the ropes at first when it comes to geocaching.

For me the rule is simple:

- No paper signature = no online find.

- Spoilers are instantly deleted without warning.

Now, if you don't mention that you actually didn't sign the log I'll never know. I do not actively audit my caches unless an issue is apparent.

While I don't care how NOT nice my rules sound, I am very cordial and flexible with those cachers that "don't know any better". And for those people that insult me on ways to play the game, this is MY way to play the game. So anything mean you say will not affect me.. :D;)

I'd have asked her to voluntarily remove the picture via a polite email before I deleted it.

Some folks just don't realize what they are doing - I doubt anything alicious was intended by it. As for not signing the log - ask her - who knows, maybe her pen ran out of ink at the wrong moment. Wouldn't stop me as long as I could use mud/grass, plant material, charcoal - something to make my mark. But maybe the rrason is innocent enough.

I agree with deleting the pictures.

But as for no signature...

As long as the only hard part was the location of the cache, then I'd allow it. They obviously found it. Maybe they didn't have a pen.

On the other hand, I have seen a few caches where just locating the container was only part of the challenge. Successful retrieval, locating the log, and/or extracting the log were also part of the challenge. In that case a picture of the outer container would not work.

I've had people post spoilers for some of my caches before. One went so far as to explain how he solved the puzzle elements. In both instances, the logs were deleted and they were invited to re-log their find minus the spoiler information. I don't agree with asking nicely (to remove the spoiler) first, when the integrity of the cache was comprimised.

As for not signing the log, I made an exception the other day for two friends who spent 36 hours in the mountains to visit my C-130 Crash site cache. They forgot their pen, but they both took photos of the logbook which proves to me that they found the cache.

I have only had to ask people to change logs a few times. I email and explain what I want changed and tell them why. I tell them the log will be deleted in 24 hours if it isn't fixed. Usually it gets fixed and I think this is a friendlier way of handling the situation than deleting first. But whatever works for you is what you should do. The cacher should know better than to post complete spoiler pics.

I wouldn't worry about the no signature comment if it was my cache.

... I don't agree with asking nicely (to remove the spoiler) first, when the integrity of the cache was comprimised....

For the most part - it is already too late though - anybody watching the cache via either watchlists or bookmark lists already got an email with the spoilers intact. Those would be the people most interested in finding a "spoiler". The few random folks that might see it while you wait 24 hours probably aren't going to hurt anything more. Always try to be polite and give folks a chance to do the right thing.

i know sometimes when attacked by bugs its can be hard to remember to sign the log (though i have never forgotten)

This. Oh God, this.

Up here in the great white north, the mosquitos wear leather jackets and ride motorcycles. Two weeks ago I found a cache and didn't sign the log because to do so would have required a plasma transfusion upon completion. It was one of only two finds that I didn't sign the log book. (The other was at the end of a 20-minute hike, and I had forgotten the pen in the van). In both cases I posted my find and gave the reason for not signing in.

...Thing is this cacher has a bad habit of posting pictures that compromise hides . In my opinion....any spoilers should be done by the CO.....not the cachers doing the finds .

Opinions please

Well you pose some questions. First it's polite to ask them to remove the spoiler photo and invite them to post photo's of the container that's not a spoiler or photos of their adventure. Always give them a chance to do the right thing before you take the heavy handed action. You can always follow up with the deletion.

As for forgetting to sign the log. Simple. They forgot to bring a pen. That's my normal problem.

... I don't agree with asking nicely (to remove the spoiler) first, when the integrity of the cache was comprimised....

For the most part - it is already too late though - anybody watching the cache via either watchlists or bookmark lists already got an email with the spoilers intact. Those would be the people most interested in finding a "spoiler". The few random folks that might see it while you wait 24 hours probably aren't going to hurt anything more. Always try to be polite and give folks a chance to do the right thing.

I figured I was being polite when I emailed them with an invitation to re-log the cache minus the spoiler content. :unsure:

Now, if you don't mention that you actually didn't sign the log I'll never know. I do not actively audit my caches unless an issue is apparent.

That is excellent news! I think I'm gonna go out and "find" a whole bunch of yours today! :P

I've got a cache maintenance tour planned right after you do that trip. I'll be waiting for your logs.. :unsure:

Well you pose some questions. First it's polite to ask them to remove the spoiler photo and invite them to post photo's of the container that's not a spoiler or photos of their adventure. Always give them a chance to do the right thing before you take the heavy handed action. You can always follow up with the deletion.

As for forgetting to sign the log. Simple. They forgot to bring a pen. That's my normal problem.

While I agree it might BE polite to ask first, I contend that it is NOT impolite to NOT ask.. A possible scenario where someone was overly senstive to a deleted log containing spoilers is just way too PC for me. While I agree with "love thy neighbor", the notion that you have a right to NOT have your feelings hurt is just plain silly. I know, a stretch for this topic.

I figured I was being polite when I emailed them with an invitation to re-log the cache minus the spoiler content. :unsure:

I agree. The polite part comes in the follow up email. "Sorry about having to delete your log but your picture ruins the cache for other finders. Please re-log it without the picture. Thank you."

Firm, but polite. :P

are they new? i know sometimes when attacked by bugs its can be hard to remember to sign the log (though i have never forgotten) Also I was much more 'loose' with what pictures I posted when still under 10 finds. Now I won't show the cache container if its not described in the description. I am also careful not to show the the direct location with my picture. I can see though how someone new could make the picture mistake. I have had to gone through and delete some of my pictures that I felt gave to much away.

Its hard to learn the ropes at first when it comes to geocaching.

I would bet it was the bugs. Yesterday on one cache I dated the log book, and put what I took/left and TFTC! But forgot to put my name on it because I forgot my bug spray and I was being eaten alive and I was nearly mentally insane by the time I got out of the woods. I am sure an acception can be made since I didn't actually "sign it" but I did log the find in the log and on the site LoL.

Later on the way home I stopped at walmart and bought a small pen sized container of bug spray to keep in my pack just in case I forget to spray my self before I venture off.

While I agree it might BE polite to ask first, I contend that it is NOT impolite to NOT ask.. A possible scenario where someone was overly senstive to a deleted log containing spoilers is just way too PC for me. While I agree with "love thy neighbor", the notion that you have a right to NOT have your feelings hurt is just plain silly. I know, a stretch for this topic.

Actually, I don't think it's a stretch. Too many people are overly concerned about hurting other peoples feeling's. They did something wrong, either intentionally or not, and are going to impact someone else's find experience. Corrective action should be immediate. Then be polite about it in a follow-up email.

I've never deleted anyone's log (yet). Someone did reveal too much of a hint in one of their logs in my opinion on one of my caches. In that case as I sent a email request to have them change it, which they did. A spoiler picture or exact details in the log would get a instant delete.

I would bet it was the bugs. Yesterday on one cache I dated the log book, and put what I took/left and TFTC! But forgot to put my name on it because I forgot my bug spray and I was being eaten alive and I was nearly mentally insane by the time I got out of the woods. I am sure an acception can be made since I didn't actually "sign it" but I did log the find in the log and on the site LoL.

Gah! Brings back bad memories. I've been so tempted to just initial the log with "Av" and get the heck out but I force myself to date and sign fully. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :unsure:.

i know sometimes when attacked by bugs its can be hard to remember to sign the log (though i have never forgotten)

There's been a few times I've pulled the bike up when out with the lads to find midges and other annoying little bugs around. When we all spark up our ciggies and cigars they soon disperse.

If we got mozzies up here they'd be wearing thermals and scalves.

If you don't smoke, take a smoker with ya :unsure:

Gah! Brings back bad memories. I've been so tempted to just initial the log with "Av" and get the heck out but I force myself to date and sign fully. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :unsure:.

Hopefully it will be a non issue from now on with the small bug spray i got to keep in my pack. Otherwise I would stop some where to buy some because yesterday was insane, and it makes sense because lately we have gotten so much rain.

Always give them a chance to do the right thing before you take the heavy handed action. You can always follow up with the deletion.

I would not consider it "heavy handed" to immediately delete any spoiler pictures. It seems to me to be the right thing to do for those who may look for this cache between the time you ask that the log is changed and the time it gets changed. That could be a while, especially if the person who posted the picture balks at removing it.

As to the idea that only a random few may see the page in the 24+hours it may take to ask that it be deleted, and it really being gone. If I happen to be one of those that hit upon the cache while it had a spoiler, that would take away some of the fun of finding the cache. I wouldn't be happy.

It is much better to take a chance on insulting the person leaving the picture, than to take a chance on spoiling the hunt for someone who had nothing to do with the spoiler.

Besides, if the logger is insulted by a polite request to fix a mistake on their part, that's their problem.

There's been a few times I've pulled the bike up when out with the lads to find midges and other annoying little bugs around. When we all spark up our ciggies and cigars they soon disperse.

If we got mozzies up here they'd be wearing thermals and scalves.

If you don't smoke, take a smoker with ya :unsure:

This. Oh God, this.

Up here in the great white north, the mosquitos wear leather jackets and ride motorcycles. Two weeks ago I found a cache and didn't sign the log because to do so would have required a plasma transfusion upon completion. It was one of only two finds that I didn't sign the log book. (The other was at the end of a 20-minute hike, and I had forgotten the pen in the van). In both cases I posted my find and gave the reason for not signing in.

Bug spray maybe? 100% DEET works for me. Keeps everything away except chiggers.

Here's typically what happens: Cache is a 500m hike down a nice paved or gravel trail. Nice breeze, no bugs. You think "I don't need to smell myself up with bug spray". So you start hiking. Life is good. Then you get near GZ and the line on the GPS starts pointing 10m off the trail in a patch of cedar trees. Doh, bug spray is back at the car. Hmm, this won't take long. In and out of there in a few seconds.

As soon as you step off the trail it's open season on humans. :unsure:

Now you can't find the cache. After a bit of a search you can't retrieve it easily. Once you get your hands on it you can't get it open. Then you're trying to find that one scrap of empty log sheet. Here's a spot, doh, pen won't write. Then you try to seal the zip lock baggie the log sheet was in. Then you try to seal the zip lock baggie again as they never close properly after the 10th time opening. You finally try to cram all the trade items and the oversized travel bug back into the container that can't possibly hold it all. Sure enough you can't get the oversized TB back in so you're stuck with it. Pull out the log sheet again so you can write you took the bug. Fiddle with the baggie yet again. FINALLY the cache is back in place. RUN!

By this time you're light headed from the blood donations and have a nice 500m hike back to the car. Oh, BTW, the breeze is gone and the sun is now blaring down on you.

OK, so maybe it's not typical but you get the point. :P

Here's typically what happens: Cache is a 500m hike down a nice paved or gravel trail. Nice breeze, no bugs. You think "I don't need to smell myself up with bug spray". So you start hiking. Life is good. Then you get near GZ and the line on the GPS starts pointing 10m off the trail in a patch of cedar trees. Doh, bug spray is back at the car. Hmm, this won't take long. In and out of there in a few seconds.

As soon as you step off the trail it's open season on humans. :unsure:

Now you can't find the cache. After a bit of a search you can't retrieve it easily. Once you get your hands on it you can't get it open. Then you're trying to find that one scrap of empty log sheet. Here's a spot, doh, pen won't write. Then you try to seal the zip lock baggie the log sheet was in. Then you try to seal the zip lock baggie again as they never close properly after the 10th time opening. You finally try to cram all the trade items and the oversized travel bug back into the container that can't possibly hold it all. Sure enough you can't get the oversized TB back in so you're stuck with it. Pull out the log sheet again so you can write you took the bug. Fiddle with the baggie yet again. FINALLY the cache is back in place. RUN!

By this time you're light headed from the blood donations and have a nice 500m hike back to the car. Oh, BTW, the breeze is gone and the sun is now blaring down on you.

OK, so maybe it's not typical but you get the point. :P

Sounds like the story of my caching life. But for the life of me, there's no way I am leaving without putting some kind of mark on the log. Even if it's bug guts. :)

Opinions please

Well, if she posted a pic, she obviously found them.... but you'd be surprised at how...... hmmm, how can I put this.... you'd be surprised how absent-minded some people are.... There are some people who honestly are like that. They don't try to be absent-minded, but they just are..... I can't explain it. I know a person just like that and I've pretty-much given up on trying to figure out HOW IN THE WORLD a person can be that short-minded.....

Anyway, I think what you did was fine, if the cacher takes offense to your email or you taking off her found it posting, then that's her problem, not yours.

I figured I was being polite when I emailed them with an invitation to re-log the cache minus the spoiler content. :D

You'll find it doesn't matter how you word things in an email or posting or whatever, people will always find ways to take what you typed out of context and turn it into something bigger than it really is....

Like your first post w/ the smiley that looks all angry, I figured you probably were just annoyed... but someone else might think you're fuming mad. I could be wrong or someone else could be wrong, but my guess is you're not fuming mad.... Just extremely frustrated....

I guess my point is: do what you think is right and makes the most sense.

I think i'm going to post pictures of all of Yankeez33's hides too now! Even more fun, I think i'll start taking pictures of him logging in all the FTF's he gets moments before i get there & I'll start posting them! [:D]

Ok, not really. I'm just kidding. If the truth be known, it's kinda fun running into the usual offenders - i just hope to be the one to come up with the FTF one of these days.

About Yankeez33's issues, this drives me nuts too.

This case is a bit of a catch 22. The pictures prove that the cacher was there & found the cache, so, if it were my cache, i'd let the online logs stand. But, the pictures - they've got to go! And, if the pictures hadnt been posted, then the log shouldnt exist and the circular logic continues. If it were me, i'd log it on the site, state i forgot my pen (which may or may not be a load of bravo sierra) and offer to email pictures to the CO.

Mind you, the only time something similar to this actually happened to me (we couldnt figure out how to get the log out), the CO deleted my log less than 24 hours later. When I asked him why, he responded that he'd sent me several emails about it and I didnt respond, so i needed to go back and figure it out before I logged online.

This bugged me ALOT. This is geocaching, not geologging. I clearly found the CACHE.

Annyway, rant over.

On the picture front, ive been known to post pictures of the chewer (our chocolate lab puppy) in, around or near the GZ for some caches depending on whether it was mildy interesting or not. But, I usually try to be sure the hide isnt visible.

You'll find it doesn't matter how you word things in an email or posting or whatever, people will always find ways to take what you typed out of context and turn it into something bigger than it really is....

Like your first post w/ the smiley that looks all angry, I figured you probably were just annoyed... but someone else might think you're fuming mad. I could be wrong or someone else could be wrong, but my guess is you're not fuming mad.... Just extremely frustrated....

I've made it a habit to post the following statement in my cache page descriptions.

Any spoilers posted in your online logs, will be deleted.

While I agree it might BE polite to ask first, I contend that it is NOT impolite to NOT ask.....

It's always polite to give someone the chance to do the right thing than punish them first. I would extend to you the cache owner the same courtesy when your cache is clearly needing to be archived.

It's not about feelings. It's more about ownership. I own my log, thus you should treat it with a bit of respect. If hard feelings are saved along the way, all the better.

It's not about feelings. It's more about ownership. I own my log, thus you should treat it with a bit of respect. If hard feelings are saved along the way, all the better.

But it's the CO's cache and posting spoilers ruins it for others and the owner. So the you have to decide on a case by case basis which is more important. Minor spoilers, give them a chance to correct it. Major spoilers, whack it.

It's always polite to give someone the chance to do the right thing than punish them first.

Maybe this is part of the reason for the differing opinions on this. Some of you feel that deleting a log is somehow "punishment". I look at it as cache maintenance. No one is being punished by having a log deleted, as long as they are allowed to relog with corrections.

If a log would compromise the cache experience for another player, I would delete and let them relog. If the problem wouldn't compromise the cache, I would e-mail them and give them a chance to correct it. No punishment involved.

But it's the CO's cache and posting spoilers ruins it for others and the owner. So the you have to decide on a case by case basis which is more important. Minor spoilers, give them a chance to correct it. Major spoilers, whack it.

If they are beating down the door to find your cache by the droves, maybe. I've never seen a cache anywhere near close enough to that.

It's always polite to give someone the chance to do the right thing than punish them first.

.... I look at it as cache maintenance. No one is being punished by having a log deleted, as long as they are allowed to relog with corrections. ....

Reverse it. Would you rather finders remove your cache because of a problem they percieve and ask you to replace it in a more suitable fashion, or have the chance to fix it yourself?

That is excellent news! I think I'm gonna go out and "find" a whole bunch of yours today! ;)

Me too!! :D

Edited by Shop99er

If they are beating down the door to find your cache by the droves, maybe. I've never seen a cache anywhere near close enough to that.

I consider ruining the fun for even one cacher enough. If I ever do delete a log I will do a follow up email. That's where the polite part comes in to play.

I've made it a habit to post the following statement in my cache page descriptions.

Actually, to a newbie that doesn't really know how things work, that might be a bit confusing, and give the impression that you somehow have the power to delete the spoilers themselves.

I'd suggest rewording it slightly:

Any online logs posting spoilers, will be deleted.

(or something like that. You get the idea.)

I consider ruining the fun for even one cacher enough. If I ever do delete a log I will do a follow up email. That's where the polite part comes in to play.

I agree. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't always check the online logs at the time I receive notice of a find. Since the emailed log doesn't mention that pictures have been uploaded, my cache may go for quite some time with blatent spoilers in the gallery. Once I did manage to discover it, I would fix the immediate problem (the pictures) by deleting the log before anyone else had their fun spoiled. But right after that I would send a polite email stating my reason and inviting a re-log.

Well, then if regards to your caches, that speaks for itself. If I found your cache and posted a spoiler, I wouldn't be able to complain about getting my log removed..... :D

I think i'm going to post pictures of all of Yankeez33's hides too now!

:D;)

Go ahead , Chewy . You have twice the amount of hides I do . I'll muggle yours and turn them all into puzzles caches and send the descriptions to you ( all mixed up of course ) so you can TRY and recover your caches :ph34r:

Someone mentioned the cacher being possibly new .

The cacher in question is not new and like I stated...she has a habit of doing this for her finds . So the forgotten pen doesn't fly with me . As for offending a cacher by deleting their spoiler pics ...not the least bit concerned about it . If it turns her off searching for anymore of my caches it wouldn't cause me to miss any sleep.

The integrity of my cache for future cachers to find is more important than a few hurt feelings . And maybe it'll wake her up so she doesn't do it to anyone else .

:cool:

Reverse it. Would you rather finders remove your cache because of a problem they percieve and ask you to replace it in a more suitable fashion, or have the chance to fix it yourself?

Apples and oranges. One is a minor inconvenience, the other is theft.

My bad, allow me to correct it.

Reverse it. Would you rather finders relocate your cache because of a problem they percieve and ask you to replace that cache in a more suitable fashion, or have the chance to fix the fix it yourself?