Items for FTF

muney4nuthin

FTF prizes are quite different from one to the next.

For my first cache I put a $20 gift card to the local pizza place, but I won't be doing that for all of them.

Next time I may put in a nice little flashlight,a fishing lure (if it's near a fishing spot), or something else with a local meaning.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

For something inexpensive, I'm putting this into my next micro hide :

6N-00012S1.jpg

From GeoSwag - I'd link to the item directly but they don't have a separate page for the product. It's a tiny pin that fits into a film canister or matchstick holder. In case the image link is broken, it is a pin in the shape of a film canister, with the letters FTF on top and the words "Geocaching - Not another micro!" on the body.

There are also a number of FTF geocoins you can get. An unactivated geocoin is a nice prize.

It's nice to have something in-theme as well. My one and only FTF, I got a dollar coin that was in theme with the puzzle.

I don't like the practise of having a special item for the FTF. As I learn more about the game, I'm discovering that in my local area it's always the same small group of cachers who get the FTFs. These folks obviously sleep in specially made catapults that launch them directly to a cache the very instant it goes active. Whoever lands first gets the prize.

I have nothing against these chaps. Racing to be first is how they play the game. But I suppose I am a tad resentful that they get to saunter home with their swag bags bulging with cool DVDs and engraved coins and gift certificates and gold plated film canisters and who knows what all on a fairly regular basis, while us average drones who trudge off to the salt mines every day and go out caching in our spare time get to ooh and ahh over pen caps and soiled golf balls.

I'm slowly planning my first hide, and when I place it the cache is going to contain absolutely nothing. At random intervals I will place neat items in the cache to reward the moms and pops who go out caching with their little ones on sunny Sunday afternoons after church.

I think I should add that I don't take anything from the caches I find. Ok, yesterday I took a calculator, which was a cool item, and I actually needed one. But my usual practise is to leave a CD if there's room and take nothing.

As I type this, I realise that what I don't like is the idea of rewarding the FTF over and above everybody else. I think the hunt and the find should be its own reward. I found a cache this past weekend that's been around since 2002. I don't know how many dozens or even hundreds of folks found it before me, but I was pleased with myself for finding it. I enjoyed the search and the woods and the trails and the peace of the outdoors. It was a gold plated moment, and I really think it was reward enough.

I don't like the practise of having a special item for the FTF. As I learn more about the game, I'm discovering that in my local area it's always the same small group of cachers who get the FTFs. These folks obviously sleep in specially made catapults that launch them directly to a cache the very instant it goes active. Whoever lands first gets the prize.

I have nothing against these chaps. Racing to be first is how they play the game. But I suppose I am a tad resentful that they get to saunter home with their swag bags bulging with cool DVDs and engraved coins and gift certificates and gold plated film canisters and who knows what all on a fairly regular basis, while us average drones who trudge off to the salt mines every day and go out caching in our spare time get to ooh and ahh over pen caps and soiled golf balls.

I'm slowly planning my first hide, and when I place it the cache is going to contain absolutely nothing. At random intervals I will place neat items in the cache to reward the moms and pops who go out caching with their little ones on sunny Sunday afternoons after church.

I think I should add that I don't take anything from the caches I find. Ok, yesterday I took a calculator, which was a cool item, and I actually needed one. But my usual practise is to leave a CD if there's room and take nothing.

As I type this, I realise that what I don't like is the idea of rewarding the FTF over and above everybody else. I think the hunt and the find should be its own reward. I found a cache this past weekend that's been around since 2002. I don't know how many dozens or even hundreds of folks found it before me, but I was pleased with myself for finding it. I enjoyed the search and the woods and the trails and the peace of the outdoors. It was a gold plated moment, and I really think it was reward enough.

I really appreciate your sentiment. I haven't hidden very many caches but the only thing the FTF has found aside from the usual swag is a blank log book. And that isn't likely to change any time soon.

I do like the idea of randomly dropping some cool swag for finders.

I've only got one hide to my credit (but more in the works), but I enjoyed placing a FTF prize that was in spirit of the cache's theme, which was aliens. I had a rarely watched E.T. Limited Edition dvd set (three versions of the film plus a CD of the film score, so four discs total) and the LE came with a film frame cut from the negative and I included that as well. (There was also a hardcover book and really cool display case that held it all, but those were both too big to fit inside the cache). It was all packaged in the quad-fold silver foil dvd case that came with the set, so it was quite striking once you opened the ammo can and saw it sitting there.

Would I do that for every cache I place? As long as it fits the theme, yes. I enjoy the idea of someone pulling open my cache the first time and seeing all the theme related swag and gifts.

On the flipside, I've only got two FTF's to my credit and neither was more than a micro with a logsheet. I didn't feel cheated out of cool swag or a FTF prize, which I would assume is the case with most people who try to be FTF. Their prize is a clean log sheet.

I guess the easiest way to say it is to put something in there you'd enjoy getting as a FTF prize. Chances are, whoever finds it will like it and appreciate the thought.

Bruce

Edited by Bassanio

I've enjoyed the comments posted so far. :D

What we leave for the FTF varies but there's usually something a bit-better-than-average.

For some of our caches MrB has designed individual FTF certificates, illustrated with pics of the area, or images relating to the theme of the cache. Printed off onto glossy paper, they look very smart.

Sometimes I drop in a new trackable tag, or one of those unactivated GeoGems.

For our multi-cache that takes you round local Roman ruins I bought a reproduction Roman ring from the gift shop to use as a FTF prize. It wasn't gold and gemstones - It cost about $5 :P

We always drop in one of our Blorenge orange signature segments inscribed "FTF - Well done!"

Just put in whatever inspires you... but I think it's really important that new cache placers don't feel obliged to leave FTF gifts. It's a nice touch but, as others have said, the blank logbook is prize enough.

MrsB

(snip)

I also really like finding older caches. A couple of months ago I was on a business trip in Rhode Island and Connecticut. I had an afternoon free after the first conference and could have spent a few hours in a cache rich area racking up some numbers but instead went and found the oldest cache in RI (GCEC) then a couple of days later found the oldest cache in CT (GCE4). Both were published in Dec. 2000.

The only prize most FTF hounds want is a blank logbook. FTF prizes are neither very common in most areas, nor expected.

I probably have about 2 dozen FTFs (I really don't count them so that's an estimate) and have never encountered a FTF prize. In my 270+ caches I've put a FTF prize in maybe 12-15 of them.

Rather than shelling out money for a FTF prize, use the money to upgrade the swag for everybody.

After reading this post I actually have to agree...It is the same group that always gets the ftf...keep that in mind, TY

In my dauters cache, we left an old, but good condition, working Cell Phone with charger (probably worth about $30). Funny thing, the FTF didn't take the phone. It was the second or third to find.

In one we found, it had 2 scratch and win lotto tickets (we won nothing).

I guess the answer is that you can put anything, from nothing, to slightly better than normal, to extrodinary.

On the line of randomly putting cool stuff in a cache, I put a gift card for one pizza to a pizza shop that was beside a cache I found. It barrly fit, and was the first swag to ever be in the cache, but it was fun.

Edited by Andronicus

I was second to find tonight and the swag that the CO left for the FTF was still there. Since I didn't need it, I also left it. Its not always about the swag, but more about the hunt.

(I did make off with a Tinkerbell TB, though) :)

I'm with atmospherium I dont like to think that the little guys get no ftf and the big guys have all theftf and the nice prizes and all the glory

It makes me angry :(

It make me sad that all the people get second or third because we dont have ours to "ALARM" and ready to go :D

Edited by 7 TREASURE FINDERS

Going to hide a cache soon but would like some input on what type of item to put in it for the FTF. Ive seen a few logs stating the owner had something special for the FTF. New to this and the only FTF ive found was a micro. Any input would be helpful. Thanx

Nothing. Not necessary.

We haven't left any prizes but I will say that our caches are usually stocked well. We just put out some ammo cans and they were packed full.

I saw a local cachers log who was FTF say they took a large trade item as a FTF prize even though it was just regular swag. (You are entitled to a prize because you happened to be there first?)

I like the idea of 2nd and 3rd to find prizes too. We have not left any because it has always been an afterthought. We spend so much time packing them with crap that we forget about it! :(