Ethical problem

Okay here's the thing. quite close to me is a geocacher who has made a point of clearing all the caches within a 5km radius of his home.

Now is it right to put in a really hard one within his 5km 'exclusion zone' just to 'flumox him' (in a totally non-malicious way as he's a top bloke!)?

Obviously it would be a permanent thing and open to everyone to find...

Tsiolkovsky

Oh yes... in fact we were planning on doing something like that for Philpamandrob, who have cleared 25 miles around home!!!!

We planned to place a puzzle cache with fake coords of his house, and then have it sooo devilishly difficult that it would stay on his nearest unfound for ages...

Never did get around to finding something hard enough!!!!

Oh yes... in fact we were planning on doing something like that for Philpamandrob, who have cleared 25 miles around home!!!!

We planned to place a puzzle cache with fake coords of his house, and then have it sooo devilishly difficult that it would stay on his nearest unfound for ages...

Well if I am being honest I've already done it twice so far - both cases were encrypted puzzle caches (Part of the Moscow Rules series) but this would be a straight one and he might get the feeling I was getting at him - which I'm not.

BTW if you do want some help, I can craft up a little encrypted puzzle for you which might just fox him...

Tsiolkovsky

Well if I am being honest I've already done it twice so far - both cases were encrypted puzzle caches (Part of the Moscow Rules series) but this would be a straight one and he might get the feeling I was getting at him - which I'm not.

BTW if you do want some help, I can craft up a little encrypted puzzle for you which might just fox him...

Tsiolkovsky

Awwwwww - you're not talking about Jerry are you??

Why not have a word with your friendly local reviewer, and arrange to put out a cache a couple of miles from his front door. Make it nice and easy, and not too far away.

Then, half an hour later, when he's probably at the new cache, publish another one - at his home co-ords.......

:):D:D

Philpamandrob admitted to me that he hates going on holiday because when he goes away, he comes back to anywhere between 10 and 100 caches to do when he gets back.

Any normal, sane person would be grateful they had new caches to do... not Phil... he sees it as a "problem!!!"

Okay here's the thing. quite close to me is a geocacher who has made a point of clearing all the caches within a 5km radius of his home.

Now is it right to put in a really hard one within his 5km 'exclusion zone' just to 'flumox him' (in a totally non-malicious way as he's a top bloke!)?

Tsiolkovsky

I think Captain Gor-tex has done this already with Bristol Curios #25 :D

(unless he is the cacher you're refering too.....)

Do it though, if nothing else the rest of us will have fun trying to solve it :ph34r:

Across the pond, in the wide open spaces of the Great Plains, there was a geocacher who became obsessed with finding all caches within 50 miles of his home coordinates. When he achieved that goal, he did not keep it a secret. Also, he enjoyed being FTF on any new caches that popped up within "his" circle. He did not keep that a secret, either.

The geocachers in that area plotted their response quite deliberately. They cooperated to hide a series of caches, each of which was as close as possible to being exactly 50 miles from this fellow's home coordinates (depending on available hiding places, of course). A cache was placed every 15 degrees around the 360 degree circle, for a total of 24 caches. With the volunteer cache reviewers' cooperation, the caches were released in batches... first four, then eight more, then the last 12 all at once.

So, you might try that on a smaller scale of a circle with a radius of 5 km. :D

...Now is it right to put in a really hard one within his 5km 'exclusion zone' just to 'flumox him' (in a totally non-malicious way as he's a top bloke!)?...

Of course it is. He's enjoying the challenge of clearing his zone, you are just giving him more enjoyment.

Looks like others have found creative and wonderfully giving ways of maximizing his enjoyment.

I think Mark deserves a linked series of cipher caches within the 5km range that lead incrementally forward culminating in an AES triple DES hybrid cipher requiring the combined computer power of the western hemisphere to solve it (in approximately 55 years on full power with NSA and NASA link ups).

Let's see him 'breath' a sigh of relief then.

Oh bugger his radius is almost the same as mine, scrap the idea immediately.....

Tsiolkovsky

I think Captain Gor-tex has done this already with Bristol Curios #25 :laughing:

(unless he is the cacher you're refering too.....)

Do it though, if nothing else the rest of us will have fun trying to solve it B)

Ha, Curio #25 has already been solved and retrieved *Mickey* and I resemble resent that comment absolutely, but in this case it isn't me, Im not that Disorganised (hint)

That said these ciphers (in Bristol and worse still in the very hilly Welsh badlands also in my radius) are doing nothing for early nights......now back to Moscow :laughing:

..a linked series of cipher caches within the 5km range that lead incrementally forward culminating in an AES triple DES hybrid cipher requiring the combined computer power of the western hemisphere to solve it (in approximately 55 years on full power with NSA and NASA link ups).

Hmm... AES you say? Way too easy... We're talking elliptic curves here...

Seriously I a do have a Moscow Rules #4 ready - just don't know whether to place it as I'm being forced to relocate away from Bristol.

Tsiolkovsky

..a linked series of cipher caches within the 5km range that lead incrementally forward culminating in an AES triple DES hybrid cipher requiring the combined computer power of the western hemisphere to solve it (in approximately 55 years on full power with NSA and NASA link ups).

Seriously I a do have a Moscow Rules #4 ready - just don't know whether to place it as I'm being forced to relocate away from Bristol.

Tsiolkovsky

Aww, I've just started this week, your hide at Sidetrack at patchway was really good fun. Where are you moving to?

Tsiolkovsky

Aww, I've just started this week, your hide at Sidetrack at patchway was really good fun. Where are you moving to?

Hmmmmmmm - methinks that might be a *mouse* hide ??????? ;):D

Quite right. Sidetracked at Patchway GC1JY0R is a Mouse hide.

I was actually fumbling to reference GC1H6C1, which is Sidetracked Parkway not Patchway (you can see my problem?).

Which BTW is a corker of a hide!

In answer to your question I'm moving to Frome - which admittedly isn't that far from Bristol but does mean I won't be able to maintain my regular cache update cycle. Luckily I have found some very nice people to look after both the crypto and traditional caches so they are still going to be available. Which may or may not be a blessing.

Tsiolkovsky

Ethical problem take #2:

So the Moscow Rules series have been adopted and are now out of my control. Is it ethically right to visit these caches and log them as finds before I leave the area?

Problems, problems, problems :D

Ethics?

Ethics??

What are they?

All's fair in love and (cold) war.

Ethical problem take #2:

So the Moscow Rules series have been adopted and are now out of my control. Is it ethically right to visit these caches and log them as finds before I leave the area?

Problems, problems, problems :D

Well... :D

You could walk out to wherever the boxes are, fumble around a bit, then shout out "Here it is - I've found it!"...

if you really want to...

Geocaching "ethics" regularly make for interesting debate.

MrsB :D

Across the pond, in the wide open spaces of the Great Plains, there was a geocacher who became obsessed with finding all caches within 50 miles of his home coordinates. When he achieved that goal, he did not keep it a secret. Also, he enjoyed being FTF on any new caches that popped up within "his" circle. He did not keep that a secret, either.

The geocachers in that area plotted their response quite deliberately. They cooperated to hide a series of caches, each of which was as close as possible to being exactly 50 miles from this fellow's home coordinates (depending on available hiding places, of course). A cache was placed every 15 degrees around the 360 degree circle, for a total of 24 caches. With the volunteer cache reviewers' cooperation, the caches were released in batches... first four, then eight more, then the last 12 all at once.

So, you might try that on a smaller scale of a circle with a radius of 5 km. :D

21 of these caches in Northeast Texas are still active as of this writing.

The alternative would be mess with them by getting a cache published in their front yard, and forgetting to place a container. No, that would be just too wicked.