A Pictoral Mapping Quiz

currykev

White Wells Bath House Ilkley Moor (Ba' Tat!!!) GC1KJQA

Don't know where the cache is but apparently, Kate does?

I'm also not sure of the significance of the Sudanese flag!

Absolutely spot on. That cache a a couple of others in the area went out just a couple of days after we were last there. No doubt we'll pick them up sometime over summer.

The flag is just something that the tennants of White wells do - they've done quite a lot of travelling to less touristy places and change the flag quite frequently. If you go into the cafe, there's a load of their photos. I keep meaning to put up a photo of the Lat/Long coordinates on Waymarking, but never get round to it, and it probably won't fit any of the categories anyway (as all my previous attempts at others have been rejected, I just can't be bothered really)

Anyway, enough of my mithering. :rolleyes:

Over to you.

There is a pretty big clue in the question already. I'll give it a little longer before I give you another one.

The cache is called " A stupid cache on the boundary of two countries Robert" :):D:D

No idea of its GC number though!

Good guess. It IS an international border at the top of the picture.

The number 49 is significant.

There is a pretty big clue in the question already. I'll give it a little longer before I give you another one.

The cache is called " A stupid cache on the boundary of two countries Robert" :D:D:D

No idea of its GC number though!

Good guess. It IS an international border at the top of the picture.

The number 49 is significant.

Obviously a reference to the 49th parallel. I don't think it's North/South Korea - aren't they a bit further south than that? And the land looks rather too inhabited / un-mined.

A quick search on Google maps reveals the 49th parallel to be a quite clear straight line border between the US & Canada, running from Winnipeg to Vancouver. So where's that cache?

Point Roberts, near Vancouver, looking at the GM. Is that cheating? :)

And the cache is "What's The Point? #1", GCHNWW

Has to be something to do with Freemasonry, and wasn't the Saint (Simon Templar) named after the Knights Templar.

I've worked out its the washington monument in virginia, but I'm struggling to find the cache! Finally got it!

Da Mystery Lot, GC18J7T

Can I claim the cache now? That was harder than many caches I've physically found! :D

Doh, beaten to it, again!

Mind you, I learnt quite a bit in the search!

Edited by Guanajuato

Here's another one that looks much better tilted - this is a virtual that is really on the edge - and it's not too far from the last one.

When I was younger, I used to draw landscapes like this using a 3D modeling, rendering and animation program specializing in fractal landscapes.

1ef3a11c-91f3-41c6-a262-a20836d8e11c.jpg

It's in Utah...That's 2 (states) across and one down from South Dakota (where Rushmore is)

It's a National Park.

It's connected with a fractal landscape software programme.

It is seen better at a tilt because, (like Devils Tower) there's quite a height difference that isn't apparent when viewed from directly above.

Edited by HighlandNick

It's in Utah...That's 2 (states) across and one down from South Dakota (where Rushmore is)

It's a National Park.

It is seen better at a tilt because, (like Devils Tower) there's quite a height difference that isn't apparent when viewed from directly above.

Ignoring the clues 'cos I know next to nothing about where the US states are, and going solely on the basis that there seems to be a big hill with a hole in the side I'll guess:

Mt St Helens

(the one that erupted years ago)

It's a National Park.

Ignoring the clues 'cos I know next to nothing about where the US states are, and going solely on the basis that there seems to be a big hill with a hole in the side I'll guess:

Mt St Helens

(the one that erupted years ago)

Nope!!

Well, the place is Tuktoyaktuk (or Tuktuyaaqtuuq) of Ice Road Truckers Fame. No idea how far to the nearest cache I'm afraid as I cannot get Google Earth at work...

I'll give you half a ding for Tuktoyaktuk and as I only picked this up I'll tell you that it is about 70 miles to Inuvik (as the GPS flies) where there are 3 or maybe 2, as one of them seems to be of uncertain status.

Over to you.

Edited by Just Roger