Top Ten Hardest Caches in America

besty45

OK so I've been wondering this for a while what exactly are the top ten hardest caches in America? I think for sure Blood & Guts has to be in there somewhere but that's the only one I know. :)

There is a cacher in the Maryland area that has overdosed on Chemical X, and has been exposed to brain damaging gamma rays. This cacher has established a series of caches called Psycho Urban caches. You might take a look and some of those.

Jim

Do you mean hard as in challenging terrain hard or difficulty in solving or in finding/seeing the cache?

The final to the Puzzle Master Challenge is the hardest I know about. In order to find it, one must solve and find 18 extremely challenging puzzles, most of which are 5 difficulty, and four of them are 5/5 .

I've been looking at that one. I've taken a look at a few of the puzzles and scratched the surface on a couple. Most I haven't a clue on how to approach the puzzles and one seems fairly obvious how to approach it but appears to use some math that was beyond what I studied in college 30 years ago.

The closest published waypoints are also about 150 miles away which adds some difficulty as well as a couple of the puzzles seem to require visits to the area to gather information necessary to solve it.

What I found interesting is that most of the finds have been made by the same group of people (mostly creators of one or more of the PMC puzzle caches) and that many of them were found as a group consisting of 3-4 cachers. Given that i'm several hours away and primary cache alone I suspect that I might not find *any* of the PMC caches, let alone the finale.

Do you mean hard as in challenging terrain hard or difficulty in solving or in finding/seeing the cache?

The final to the Puzzle Master Challenge is the hardest I know about. In order to find it, one must solve and find 18 extremely challenging puzzles, most of which are 5 difficulty, and four of them are 5/5 .

I've been looking at that one. I've taken a look at a few of the puzzles and scratched the surface on a couple. Most I haven't a clue on how to approach the puzzles and one seems fairly obvious how to approach it but appears to use some math that was beyond what I studied in college 30 years ago.

The closest published waypoints are also about 150 miles away which adds some difficulty as well as a couple of the puzzles seem to require visits to the area to gather information necessary to solve it.

What I found interesting is that most of the finds have been made by the same group of people (mostly creators of one or more of the PMC puzzle caches) and that many of them were found as a group consisting of 3-4 cachers. Given that i'm several hours away and primary cache alone I suspect that I might not find *any* of the PMC caches, let alone the finale.

Well, I've got two of them in my local area. One, I've solved, and hope to sign the log next weekend. The other, I shall have to work on. The remainder, I have no interest in. Too far to drive. Oh, well.

Well, I've got two of them in my local area. One, I've solved, and hope to sign the log next weekend. The other, I shall have to work on. The remainder, I have no interest in. Too far to drive. Oh, well.

Nice job, HD! I've looked at the puzzles, but they're a bit far for me, plus most of them look to be beyond my puzzle solving abilities. I'm impressed by those that have the know-how to solve them, though.

Well on outward appearance Cerebral Codex appears to fit the bill. You may want to look into some bookmark listings for "challenge" caches like DeLorme, All County Caches, Well Rounded Cacher (finding one of all 81 difficulty/terrain ratings to be eligible for the fnal).

On a side note: Think some may over hype the Psycho Urban Series. I did some of this summer and did 5 in the series and 19 cache find (3 in a different state) in one day without rushing or caching dusk to dawn. I enjoyed them but the ones I did were not overly difficult or time consuming. Some of the later ones are more difficult and actually am looking forward to doing one of them this year.

I don't know about physical challenges, but here is a puzzle cache that has defied EVERY attempt to solve it.

I hang out on a very geeky website, and it's such a puzzle that another geocacher decided to post it on that geek site to see if THEY could solve it. (they couldn't)

That thing is frustrating! I just spent an hour talking to a robot *trying* to figure out the coordinates for a cache that is almost 2000 miles from my house... I need a life...

OK so I've been wondering this for a while what exactly are the top ten hardest caches in America? I think for sure Blood & Guts has to be in there somewhere but that's the only one I know. :ph34r:

Hmmmm.............

I don't know about the top ten, but if you're making a list of tough caches, SpiderFish in Alabama has to be either on the list, or be first alternate.

This one is a brain-buster.

Well on outward appearance Cerebral Codex appears to fit the bill.

Both Cerebral Codex and Choreographed Chaos are very difficult caches, puzzle-wise, terrain, and number of field trips required to complete. They are both in the Pinelands of South Jersey. Figure on a few months of effort for each unless you have the time to spend on a regular basis. Most stages are the equivalent of a 5x5 cache, and there are 10 stages plus the final.

Edited by Grunriese

I don't know about physical challenges, but here is a puzzle cache that has defied EVERY attempt to solve it.

I hang out on a very geeky website, and it's such a puzzle that another geocacher decided to post it on that geek site to see if THEY could solve it. (they couldn't)

They must have updated the "guidelines", at one point you couldn't do this type of listing. All info that you needed would have to be in the listing. Now that they have updated the info I can do a (T-2/D-5) cache I have wanted to do.

There are two cachers that have solved all or almost all of the separate caches. Muddy & Amused and Trowel32. And neither of them own caches in the series. The "Puzzle Masters" them selves only have the info on their own caches and are more than welcome to try for the other caches and the final. They only have one of 18 puzzle pieces that lead to the final and none of them will be inthe running for FTF. Personaly, I can't wait to start working on the other caches in the series. Each is its own separate smilie. As with most challenging caches a team effort is always recommended and great, but the two in the lead are working solo.

Harry, good job! I can not wait to add your name to the roster and give you access to the special PMC group....

Edited by gipsie

That thing is frustrating! I just spent an hour talking to a robot *trying* to figure out the coordinates for a cache that is almost 2000 miles from my house... I need a life...

I have been poking that frog with a stick for the last half hour myself. No answer yet, but my screen is developing a nice dent. I think the frog cheats. Every third question I ask gets answered with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

I have been poking that frog with a stick for the last half hour myself. No answer yet, but my screen is developing a nice dent. I think the frog cheats. Every third question I ask gets answered with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

I have a couple of very easy JavaScript puzzles that are similar to that, but that bot is much more fun and challenging. I guess you have to ask the exact question or you get the run around.