Brand New and Completely Excited to Start Caching

rockinrio

HI EVERYONE!!!!

I stumbled upon the word "Geocaching" yesterday while randomly surfing the net. I googled it and here I am today, finally able to post in the forum (longest 24 hours of my life), and I'm ready to go find this stuff!!!

Currently, I have no GPS or formal instruction on how to do this. But, according to the site, there's about 40 caches within 5 minutes of my house. I'm going to try and find a few tonight without GPS but just Google Earth and a good memory. But, are there any suggestions from other cachers out there to help me make the big leap of investing in a GPS? How do I know that I'm getting the right unit for the right price? Is there a basic unit that can just give me my coordinates and not cost me a car payment? lol

I just want to get started and explore. I'm totally unsure of myself and don't want to look like a complete idiot in front of people walking by or find myself searching forever for a cache and never finding it!

Did I mention that I'm nervous? Or was that implied?

Please help!! Thank you all!

Jessica

Welcome! Nothing to be nervous about - we all look like complete idiots sometimes and many of us have accumulated hundreds of DNFs (Didn't find the cache) over the years. I know I have close to 200 caches that I failed to find and I'm supposed to know what I'm doing after 7 years (at least you'd think I should).

As far as an inexpensive GPS, consider the Garmin Venture HC or Garmin Legend HCX. Both are well under $200 and have enough features that you won't outgrow the unit if you get really into the sport.

If you can swing it, the Legend HCX is the better choice because it has expandable map memory and can give you turn by turn driving directions with the proper software loaded.

Amazon.com usually has pretty good prices, so use them as a benchmark. If you can find a unit cheaper than Amazon sells it for, jump on it.

Stay away from the units designed for vehicle use like the Garmin Nuvi and Tom Tom. Great for getting you place to place in your car, but not so good for geocaching.

A bit of advice. Caches come in all kinds of sizes ranging from about as small as the eraser on the tip of a pencil to a 5 gallon bucket. The smallest caches are called micros. You might want to avoid them in the beginning and stick with regular or large sized caches in the beginning. Micros can be frustrating for even veteran cachers. Also shoot for caches with a difficulty of 2 or lower in the beginning. Once you've found a few and get comfortable you can start looking for micros and higher difficulty caches.

Good luck on your first hunt!

Edited by briansnat

Welcome to geocaching! Have fun finding those caches sans the gps--it can be done, especially easy if you know the area well. I would take along some notes....

There are gps units that can be had very inexpensively. They do a nice enough job. The more $$$ you pay, the more you gain in accuracy, ease of use features, and of course nice to have bells and whistles.

I'd advise you to read a few dozen threads on the choices available, really think about how you will cache (mostly in town, mostly on trips, etc) and how else you might use the gps (for travel, to navigate in your car or on bike trips, while hiking, hunting, or camping) and then begin to examine your budget.

When you are ready look for a few gps units you think will suit you in your price range and then fire off a question to the boards about recommendations.

In general, plan to spend a couple of hundred dollars for a gps that will be pretty reliable and about double that for one you won't soon outgrow.

(I recommend the Garmin 60 CSx--It's the best gps out there for ease of use and accuaracy. It is a bit on the pricey side, but worth every penny--especially when you add city maps and possibly topo maps).

Looking for caches without a GPSr can certainly be done. Some cachers have found hundreds that way. I've found a few myself. Would suggest looking for a larger, low difficulty cache with a lot of "easy finds" in the logs. Don't go by memory, print out the cache map. Good luck!

As for the GPSr. Contact some of your local Parks and Recreation deparments. It's possible one of them RENTS very basic GPSr units. I've gone this route in the past when I sent mine in for repair.

Welcome to caching-I started out with the Garmin Legend(the blue one),its a good starter unit,but now I have the 60CSx and really love it,got it off Walmart site for a good price,just kept watching it and they run very good prices on them.Site to store,just ordered it and they sent it to my local wallyworld and sent me a email saying it was ready to pickup.

Welcome aboard!!

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular siaed caches for your first few. Stick to areas you are familar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like hider - where would you put a container? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others. Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

I too recommend either the Venture HC or the Legen HCx.

I found one!!! Last night! And, the crazy thing is, it's only 200 yards from my office. All this time, there's been a little tube in a tree up the street from where I work and I never knew it. But now I do!!! So exciting!

that's awesome...I can remember my first (far back as three weeks ago :rolleyes: ) had a silly grin on my face for a week

I have found that now while driving around my city I have a new found appreciation for it. I no longer see it as dirty, I see it as one huge potential hiding spot !!

The Legend HCx has worked great for me.

X2 and they can be found on EBay as a bundle for about $150. Came with City Nav 2009, a vehicle mount and sd card. Good stuff!

X3 I actually bought the HCx second hand after buying a 76CSx for a smokin' can't pass it up deal and when my girls and I go out they use the Legend and it does a great job. E-bay, Craigs list and the GPS Sale forum are great places to keep your eyes on.

Welcome to the clan of the addicted and "Happy Caching.."

Welcome to the world of caching. Now, be prepared to get "the look" when you try to tell people about your new obsession and get it even more sometimes when you are out looking. In any case, it is fun. Regarding your first GPS, I use a Garmin GPSmap60. It is an older model but it does what I need it to do. I had to beg with the wife to get it for a fathers day present because I wanted an entry level unit so we can try caching with the family.

We are still relatively new ourselves (started this summer). Our caching name is actually Team V3. Good luck on the trails and keep caching!

Congrats on finding your first cache! I love the enthusiasm in your post and am happy you're having fun. Good luck on your next hunt :D

Here's a tidbit of motivation for you...

Geocaching is one of the cheapest hobbies you can start! All you need is GPSr, batteries and a pen.

I think some will look at this post and scratch their head. "How do I manage to spend all that money then?"

I found one!!! Last night! And, the crazy thing is, it's only 200 yards from my office. All this time, there's been a little tube in a tree up the street from where I work and I never knew it. But now I do!!! So exciting!

Congrats!

..... Wow, did I sound this geeky after I found my first one just about one year ago? :D

ABSOLUTELY I DID! :D

Glad to see anoher person has been bitten by the geocaching bug! Aren't we all just geeks at heart anyway?

Edited by kraushad

Congrats on finding your first cache! I love the enthusiasm in your post and am happy you're having fun. Good luck on your next hunt :D

Geocaching is one of the cheapest hobbies you can start! All you need is GPSr, batteries and a pen.

I think some will look at this post and scratch their head. "How do I manage to spend all that money then?"

That was exactly what I was wondering, too. "Cheapest" is a strange way to describe a hobby that strongly relies on a GPS unit that can run you up to $500 or more!

Congrats!

..... Wow, did I sound this geeky after I found my first one just about one year ago? :D

ABSOLUTELY I DID! :D

Glad to see anoher person has been bitten by the geocaching bug! Aren't we all just geeks at heart anyway?

Total geek. No question. And proud of it!!!!

HI EVERYONE!!!!

I stumbled upon the word "Geocaching" yesterday while randomly surfing the net. I googled it and here I am today, finally able to post in the forum (longest 24 hours of my life), and I'm ready to go find this stuff!!!

Currently, I have no GPS or formal instruction on how to do this. But, according to the site, there's about 40 caches within 5 minutes of my house. I'm going to try and find a few tonight without GPS but just Google Earth and a good memory. But, are there any suggestions from other cachers out there to help me make the big leap of investing in a GPS? How do I know that I'm getting the right unit for the right price? Is there a basic unit that can just give me my coordinates and not cost me a car payment? lol

I just want to get started and explore. I'm totally unsure of myself and don't want to look like a complete idiot in front of people walking by or find myself searching forever for a cache and never finding it!

Did I mention that I'm nervous? Or was that implied?

Please help!! Thank you all!

Jessica

Very cool story about getting here! I love it! Happy caching and welcome aboard.

Welcome to the sport!

I have found a few without a GPS, and from time to time I have had to use my cell phone to find them. It's pretty satisfying to find a cache that way. When you are ready to take the plunge, I might be able to point you in the direction of some good deals on a GPS. No reason to pay a bunch of money, but it's all relative. I have a friend who got a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx for about $250, which is more GPS than anyone will ever really need, and probably the last one many will ever own. Terrific unit that does everything you'll ever need. I found a great deal on a Garmin Oregon 400T, so I am going to try that out, but for the money, you can't beat the CSx. Definitely try eBay before getting anything...just do yourself a favor and don't buy retail. If you can find a used CSx, that's a great way to go. A lot of cachers who are going with the Colorado/Oregon will be looking to unload theirs (then again, many are so attached that they will just keep them "just in case" - like me) to make up some of the $600 price of the Oregon.

A few things I would suggest as you start caching that I wish someone had told me:

1. Log your finds, and log them in a way that each find will be meaningful to you. You can't believe how much you will enjoy reading those logs a few years from now, and your enthusiasm will shine through. Your online reputation will open doors to friendships through caching that you will treasure.

2. Be positive. Enough on that. We have enough whiners, critics and naysayers.

3. Get involved. There are lots of events where you can meet other cachers and enjoy their company. Everyone is always really nice, and we embrace new cachers...after all, they usually place some of the best new caches for us to find!

4. It's not about the numbers. It is tempting to want to try to rack up huge numbers of finds. I think all of us have gotten into that at one time or another. "Power caching" (going on marathons to see how many you can get) can be a lot of fun, but the most meaningful hunts are those where you find a place you never would have gone otherwise, and are SO glad caching took you there. Go at your own pace, and hunt what YOU enjoy, and you will keep that spark going for you.

5. Get some thick skin. As with any online community, there are going to be a few jerks who simply don't engage their brains before they open their mouths. As mentioned, the VAST majority of cachers are really nice geeks who love this game, and love to share their adventures. (Go to any GC event, and see if you can get them to be quiet. I dare you.) Just don't let the few bad apples get to you, and you will have a lifetime of adventure you never imagined before.

It's great to see your enthusiam and hear about your first find. See you on the trails!

bd

Congrats on finding your first cache! I love the enthusiasm in your post and am happy you're having fun. Good luck on your next hunt :santa:

Well the spending money comes after you become addicted and start buying a backpack, maps, water bladder, first aid kit, multi tool and a ton of batteries and whatever else you might want! ;)