What do you drop...

OK, I guess this may have been discussed before, I know I have mentioned Micro Trade items in some other threads. Let's try to keep the arguement about Micro Caches themselves out of this thread(there are plenty of other places to discuss that). This thread is to discuss what items you like to leave in Micro Caches. I guess your favorire Found Items will also fit the discussion. Here are some of the things I like to leave in Micro Caches that are not the standard coin/marble variety. Mineral samples with ID card, lapel pins, Tiny fridge magnets, paper money(folded lengthwise, and rolled tightly, stuffed in a tiny section of a drinking straw), Raffle Tickets(that can win you TBs), Tiny Collectible Cards(that can win you TBs). I'll revise the list later when I'm on my own computer. Hopefully there will be some interesting reading then.

OK, I guess this may have been discussed before, I know I have mentioned Micro Trade items in some other threads. Let's try to keep the arguement about Micro Caches themselves out of this thread(there are plenty of other places to discuss that). This thread is to discuss what items you like to leave in Micro Caches. I guess your favorire Found Items will also fit the discussion. Here are some of the things I like to leave in Micro Caches that are not the standard coin/marble variety. Mineral samples with ID card, lapel pins, Tiny fridge magnets, paper money(folded lengthwise, and rolled tightly, stuffed in a tiny section of a drinking straw), Raffle Tickets(that can win you TBs), Tiny Collectible Cards(that can win you TBs). I'll revise the list later when I'm on my own computer. Hopefully there will be some interesting reading then.

These fit in most micros and when they don't, I stash one nearby.

6242004b-89b9-48c8-9885-ecc0efc9e020.jpg

Pathtags fit in the film canister types of micros, so I always have one or two handy. Occasionally I find very small items -- usually stuff that comes out of vending machines or that you can get at the 100Y store -- that fits into small containers well. I don't have any on me at the moment so I don't have any pics.

I love the rolled pennies, Snoogans -- did you order those, or do you actually have a press?

I love the rolled pennies, Snoogans -- did you order those, or do you actually have a press?

I have a press. :(

It was even blessed by Jeremy. ;)

You are my hero - I want one so Bad

ME TOO! Thought it was so neat I went shopping for one. Saw the price tag....backed awayyyy....real quickkkk.

I've had to resort to usin' the local railroad. No blazonry, but who don't like seein' a squooshed coin!?! *heh heh hehhh*

Something I've wondered about - and more than once. I've found geocachers in general to be a rather creative lot....but it's escaped me as to why they are so generally stubborn when it comes to getting creative with micro-sized swag! I've got a sneakin' suspicion there's more griping about swag by those who want (and expect) to open the Tupperware & find gold, jewels, laptops, DVD players, Wave Runners, sports cars....and want to lament to the world at large their misfortune at not finding same. Another pet theory is they mostly want to lambast someone for short-changing their expectations, even more than they want the uber-swag....the word "lame" appears a lot.

Trinkets, people. That's all they're supposed to be. Tokens. If you find one that ties in with something special to you....so much the better. Take something, if for no other reason than to move it along. And leave something - something that might hold some small worth or meaning to someone else. I enjoy just looking thru the li'l treasures, as much as the hunt, or the journey to it, as anything else about the game. I'd hope you would too - and if we all did, it would help keep an excitement about the game, something else to enjoy. So c'mon people - get with the program, & stop bein' such a grump! Adopt the "When you find a lemon..." attitude! :laughing:

Me - I've been using tiny seashells as sort of a sig-item. Not just pieces either - perfectly full li'l beauties, and polished up when they'll take one. I've collected 'em for years, and thought it'd be nice to share them with others. They're quite beautiful to me....and apparently to some others as well, becuz they 'disappear' right regularly. I nearly always put them in my new caches....but my supply's getting kinda low. Gotta come up with a new one. I also frequently leave little stars (ie my 'handle) ....foam, plastic, crystal....buy 'em as I find 'em.

I've even resorted to leaving one of those commemorative quarters - which will fit nicely into a 35mm cannister, with room to spare. Hey, it ain't much....but it's worth more'n the expired pizza coupon I found! And who knows....just might be a treasure to someone. Case in point: Dooley's Waterin' Hole -- I left a NM state quarter, turned out the 3rd finder needed that one to complete his set!

My new sig item....not too much value-wise, but it'll have time invested - MY time. I recently learned how to fold Origami Shurikens. Origami, of course you know....and Shuriken....the 'Throwing Star' thingys. Connection - again, my 'handle'. I've ordered a special foil-backed paper to make 'em with....I think they'll be nice li'l give-aways. But with my luck, I figure it won't be long before we see a thread or six about "you can put somebody's eye out with those things". *sigh* Face it.....we can't win!

But anyway, THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!! As you can see....it's something been layin' heavy on my mind, for some time now!

(I'll get over it.)

:laughing:

~*

I'm so glad you started this thread! I was just going to ask the same thing.

Like a couple of other people have said, it's fun to see little trinkets, even in film canisters. Sometimes I find things I like even better than what I see in an ammo can. If we find a film canister with only a log in it, we usually add a few items so the next person has something to look at or trade for.

We have a special box for our micro swag. It's one of those plastic boxes that snap shut with all the different little compartments. This one was meant for beads, but I have also seen versions made for fishing lures.

Here's what we currently have on hand for micro swag:

a bee button, which has an attached ribbon with our initials and tftc (our signature item)

glass beads with gold painted spirals

sun and moon glass beads

smiley face erasers

big confetti pieces shaped like spirals

Other things we have seen and liked:

Monopoly houses

glass pieces

pins

signature items of any kind

smashed pennies

tiny racecars

That's what comes to mind right now- I will try to think of some more. Meanwhile, I will be checking this thread frequently. I love to hear everyone's great ideas, and if you happen to have pictures, even better!

Thanks!

Chris

I have a press. :)

It was even blessed by Jeremy. B)

That is REALLY cool. :)

(Although I do note that I bought a small table-top vacuforming machine for my husband for our anniversary; I should figure out a way to make a mold for casting small resin trinkets with it)

Mineral samples with ID card, lapel pins, Tiny fridge magnets, paper money(folded lengthwise.

I've used all of those, as well as small jewelery (usually earrings), collectible coins like mercury dimes and Indian head pennies, small strings of colored paper clips, fishing flies and small lures (with a tiny piece of duct tape covering hook) and the small ceramic animals that come in Red Rose tea (I've collected hundreds of them over the years).

One skull. :laughing:

skullbead22406.jpg:laughing:

No way!! I have a 9 foot long string of those exact beads and have been leaving them all over the place- micros and any other size. I really enjoy those little things.

I am also big on the old foreign coin thing. There is a guy at the local flea market who has tons of them. I just pick through the 25 cents per coin bin and find ones I think are cool.

Edited by killthewhelp

One skull. :unsure:

skullbead22406.jpg:D

No way!! I have a 9 foot long string of those exact beads and have been leaving them all over the place- micros and any other size. I really enjoy those little things.

I am also big on the old foreign coin thing. There is a guy at the local flea market who has tons of them. I just pick through the 25 cents per coin bin and find ones I think are cool.

Cool. I use them for all size caches too- smalls get 2 (strung together with black craft string) & regulars get 3 (with glow in the dark string). The different color string makes them easier to tell apart.