Discouraged...

Soobax

I have been caching for over a year now but only have just under 40 caches found. I work two jobs, have no friends that want to cache, and do not have a lot of time to cache but I spend the majority of the free time I do have caching. If I could cache all day every day I would - but unfourtunately this is just unrealistic.

The point of my post is this - I have attended 2 events so far in my caching career and although they have been absolutely amazing, the people in charge of organizing them have so much dedication and passion for caching its incredible - but some of the attendees are SO FOCUSED on how many finds I have etc. When I tell them I have less then 40 they become quite pretencious and act as though there must be some kind of problem... I have been asked following the stats conversation if my GPS might be innacurate, or If I only cache in my own community, etc. When I respond no a common answer is " Oh thats suprising, I haven't seen your name on any cache logs..." Do people really monitor or care about others business so much as to search logs for my finds???? It hurts my feelings to think how quick to assum some people can be and really makes me not want to continue something I love because the passion for it is sort of destroyed. Maybe there are people out there that attend events and aren't cachers and are just there to ruin things? Could this be why people have adopted such negative assumptions about new cachers like myself?

My frustration and discouragement comes from a world of different perspectives (I guess.) My favorite part about caching is being shown places I never would have found on my own and being given the opportunity to explore new areas is a huge gift for me. How come others do not feel the same? Why has it become so competative? I thought it was supposed to be FUN. I am afraid that some people are losing the spirit of caching and getting caught up in the politics and stats and FTF that they are missing the most important parts (our beautiful world.) I am also dissapointed to see the amount of these kinds of people who are willing to destroy whatever enviornment needed to find the cache. With the race for FTF people (at least in my area) go to great lengths to be that first finder and will ruin anything in their path to do so. I understand the rush and feeling of accomplishment that comes with FTF but I really wish people would be more respectful of the environment - and myself.

I am mostly just looking for some support or confirmation...or reasoning behind the behaviour I have described. I feel pretty alone on this and do not want the attitudes of others destroy an activity I love. (I know it is best to ignore those who "ruin your chance of a good time" I am trying not to be affected by it but I am running a little thin at the moment..lol)

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all those who make this sport possible, and thanks to all those people who are out there to have a good time.

Maybe you should mention that you are a firm believer of "it's not about the numbers". Your post reminds me of a comment made to me on a water garden forum a few years back. Someone had asked a question & I responded with what I do in that situation. One person responded with "I'm not sure that is a good answer - I'm going to wait until someone with more posts responds". I was both amused & insulted at the same time. Think about it - does having 2000 posts in this forum make you an expert by that fact alone? Does someone who has 1000 finds but only posts to the forums 10x a year not have enough experience to offer good advice? Some people just don't think before they speak, and some are so narrowly focused that they don't see the big picture. Enjoy your caching, keep going to those events & you'll meet someone who enjoys this hobby as much as you do!

Maybe you should mention that you are a firm believer of "it's not about the numbers". Your post reminds me of a comment made to me on a water garden forum a few years back. Someone had asked a question & I responded with what I do in that situation. One person responded with "I'm not sure that is a good answer - I'm going to wait until someone with more posts responds". I was both amused & insulted at the same time. Think about it - does having 2000 posts in this forum make you an expert by that fact alone? Does someone who has 1000 finds but only posts to the forums 10x a year not have enough experience to offer good advice? Some people just don't think before they speak, and some are so narrowly focused that they don't see the big picture. Enjoy your caching, keep going to those events & you'll meet someone who enjoys this hobby as much as you do!

Well said.

Please don't be discouraged.

I have no experience of what Events are like across your side of The Pond, but I'm sure there are plenty of cachers like yourself who may not have a great number of Finds but enjoy the game their own way and appreciate the different places that are shown to them through this pastime.

We're definitely not "numbers people" - In fact, we've been known to go for 2 or 3 months without bothering to hunt a cache! :anicute: When we attend Events we go primarily to meet other cachers, rather than go caching and chase the FTFs on caches released that day. For us they are social occasions and we enjoy chatting to all, whether they have 10 Finds, or 1000.

Geocaching is many things to many people: Just choose the aspects of it that you prefer... and ENJOY :D

MrsB

some of the attendees are SO FOCUSED on how many finds I have etc. When I tell them I have less then 40 they become quite pretencious and act as though there must be some kind of problem...

My frustration and discouragement comes from a world of different perspectives (I guess.) My favorite part about caching is being shown places I never would have found on my own and being given the opportunity to explore new areas is a huge gift for me. How come others do not feel the same? Why has it become so competative? I thought it was supposed to be FUN.

There are a large number of geocachers who concern themselves greatly with what others are doing, how they play the game, how they log their finds, etc. They live to force others to conform to their own way of playing.

But the bottom line is, if you are having fun, and not hurting anyone else, why let them bother you?

I'm the same way, for a long time, I only went for caches in what could be really cool areas, because that's what I enjoyed. Recently, I started hitting some urban micros on boring afternoons when my gf and I felt like a walk along some bike trails.

After years of caching, I still have less finds than some people can get in one single day. Good for them, but I think I've probably had more fun per cache than any of them, so they can keep their methods, and I'll keep mine. :anicute:

Like life, you'll be better off if you don't worry about what others think, and just concentrate on having fun.

Some times a few bad apples can ruin a whole event. I say this not from any geocaching events I've attended but other times where I've gotten together IRL with people I supposedly have something in common with but have never met :anicute:.

If the crabapples at the events are ruining your fun, skip the events. It cuts out a potential avenue of good times but also eliminates some stress....

Or, just come to peace with the idea that some people operate on one frequency and you operate on another, and you'll never see eye to eye.

As others have said, don't get discouraged. As long as YOU are having fun, then who cares what others think. Caching is not a race or a contest to see who can get the most finds, so try not to let it bother you.

Lots of people start up and go crazy for numbers and then suddenly disappear from the hobby. As Blue Deuce said, look for some old timers to hang out with. While they may have lots of finds, you'll find that most will say it's about the fun, the adventure and being with others rather than the numbers. If you can make it work with your schedule, hook up with some of them and go caching one afternoon for a couple finds.

If you're at an event and someone asks you how many finds you have, just say something like, "I'm not sure. I haven't really looked in awhile."

Edited by Skippermark

Its like any community in life there are those who always think that they are more important and look down on those who they feel are below them because they don't have the right equipment or that they haven't scored enough, I am a photographer I once made the mistake of joining a photographic club, I was decended on by 5 over inflated egos who started to quiz me about what equipment I had, if I used a monopods, I was told i needed this lens and that lens and have I won any comps, was a member of any official organisation.

I stayed to see judging of some very bad landscapes and watched the self petchulating back slapping before heading for the door as fast as possible with the words, you have the wrong tripod ringing in my ears.

Live and let live, you will get people who think they are the be all and end all of caching, like you I find this sport fits in with my photography, both I enjoy on my own. Ignore the ego's they will inflate and burst one day

I wanted to have 1000 finds by New Years Day! Why? Cause it is a personal goal. I want to go out and do a special cache and have that be my 1000th. It doesn't matter to anyone but me. You make your own fun in this sport.

As far as "old timers", I have been told by one that you aren't a real cacher until you have a thousand finds. I know another that has a two minute rule for finding caches or they will give up. Who's a real cacher?

I think you are. I don't care if you have 40 or 40,000 finds. Welcome to the club! :anicute:

Some people get overzealous whenever metrics are involved, like # finds. If our sport was an assembly line, then yeah - the number is everything. But it's not. Most of us are in it for various reasons - the family activity, the exercise, the thrill of the hunt, the new locations and scenery ...but there are some in it for just the numbers.

Ignore them. They don't "get it", and probably never will.

Yeah, don't get discouraged. Ignore mean people. Just get out and enjoy the places you like. Find the caches that appeal to you. If that's 1 per day or 1 per year, as long as it's what you want out of the game, then you are successful. Personally, I would rather find 1 cache in a great place than 10 caches in lousy places because that's the experience I'm looking for. You should what makes it memorable for you.

Forget about what anyone else thinks. The motorcycle community has a saying that goes, "Ride your own ride." What it means is to not get influenced by what someone else thinks is the way to ride. Don't ride faster than your comfort level. Don't go places where you aren't having a good time. I would think that the same applies here. If the events in your area are like that and it's not good for you, don't go to them.

It sounds like you are doing fine. Just ignore the rest.

Some people get overzealous whenever metrics are involved, like # finds. If our sport was an assembly line, then yeah - the number is everything. But it's not. Most of us are in it for various reasons - the family activity, the exercise, the thrill of the hunt, the new locations and scenery ...but there are some in it for just the numbers.

Ignore them. They don't "get it", and probably never will.

This sums up my feelings. By the way, people get judged for having higher as well as lower numbers. It's embarrassing when some newbie tells you that they feel like a peon because they have less finds than you do. But when that happens, I always tell them, "Numbers, schmumbers, I just do it for fun."

Please don't be discouraged.

I have no experience of what Events are like across your side of The Pond, but I'm sure there are plenty of cachers like yourself who may not have a great number of Finds but enjoy the game their own way and appreciate the different places that are shown to them through this pastime.

We're definitely not "numbers people" - In fact, we've been known to go for 2 or 3 months without bothering to hunt a cache! :anicute: When we attend Events we go primarily to meet other cachers, rather than go caching and chase the FTFs on caches released that day. For us they are social occasions and we enjoy chatting to all, whether they have 10 Finds, or 1000.

Geocaching is many things to many people: Just choose the aspects of it that you prefer... and ENJOY :D

MrsB

Very well put, and I agree! I am personally not at all into numbers, and I am not at all obsessive-compulsive about hunting caches or hiding them. I am a very happy person, and my life does not center around geocaching, and my life is filled with many other activities and pursuits which often eclipse geocaching.

In four and a half years in the sport, I probably have about 390 finds (in three countries) of my own (perhaps a few more; my wife, who is an obsessive-compulsive geocacher, and who spends over 45 hours per week on geocache hunting-related activities, has found the remainder of the hides shown on our account), and about two dozen hides (most of them extreme terrain and 5/5 caches), and I will sometimes go a month or two without bothering to seek or place even one cache. And, much as the Blorenges stated, when I attend events, it is only to see other cachers and hear tales; and while at events I do not hunt caches, and I could care less when speaking with a cacher whether they have four finds or forty thousand finds.

There are some people that are in it to compete for numbers. It is not much fun to compete against others if you cache all alone. Those that are in it for numbers might be more likely to go to events to compare themselves to other cachers. This might cause "all about the numbers" type cachers to be over represented at events. Hopefully you can get to know the locals and seek out the ones that have similar caching goals as you do. The next time someone asks you how many cache finds you have, ignore the question and instead tell them all about your favorite cache find. They can't force you to play their way.

There are some people that are in it to compete for numbers. It is not much fun to compete against others if you cache all alone. Those that are in it for numbers might be more likely to go to events to compare themselves to other cachers. This might cause "all about the numbers" type cachers to be over represented at events. Hopefully you can get to know the locals and seek out the ones that have similar caching goals as you do. The next time someone asks you how many cache finds you have, ignore the question and instead tell them all about your favorite cache find. They can't force you to play their way.

Although Ii normally enjoy disagreeing with Trialdad on the forum, I must admit (AAARRRGGGHHH!) that I strongly agree with the points he has made in his current post, including his rather astute sociological observations about the innate selectivness and uniqueness of the sample of geocachers which one will find at an event.

Bottom line is that my advice to the OP is to be true to yourself, and to totally refuse to play the game any way other than the way in which you wish, and to realize that if someone really tries to pull that kind of verbal one-upmanship nonsense on you at an event, then it is their problem and not yours: they are simply exhibiting a pathological obsession, and are not to be taken seriously.

The point of my post is this - I have attended 2 events so far in my caching career and although they have been absolutely amazing, the people in charge of organizing them have so much dedication and passion for caching its incredible - but some of the attendees are SO FOCUSED on how many finds I have etc. When I tell them I have less then 40 they become quite pretencious and act as though there must be some kind of problem...

Interesting. I had made a comment awhile back that when we first started attending events it seemed the first question people asked each other was "So, how many finds do you have?" but that seems to have changed a lot over the years.

Don't let it get you down. Some people are dickheads, some people are number focused and it is possible you found some people who are both. If you're ever in Calgary come to one of our events -- we welcome cachers regardless of their number of finds.

The best thing about geocaching is that it is open to anyone. The worst part about geocaching is... that it is open to anyone!

Fortunately the good people handily outweigh the bad.

Keep attending events, you will meet some great people. Better yet, host some events.

I am of the opinion that numbers should not be displayed unless the cacher chooses for them to be... and that anyone who judges another based on numbers is quite foolish and of little consequence. I know many of the well-known players in the game and can tell you that they will all accept you on your merit without regard to numbers.

Put up a post on the B.C. Geocachers forum stating that you are looking for caching partners who don't care about the numbers but just want to have fun, I am sure someone will respond - http://www.bcgeocaching.com/index.php?name...wforum&f=26

I have been caching for over a year now but only have just under 40 caches found.

My frustration and discouragement comes from a world of different perspectives (I guess.) My favorite part about caching is being shown places I never would have found on my own and being given the opportunity to explore new areas is a huge gift for me. How come others do not feel the same?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all those who make this sport possible, and thanks to all those people who are out there to have a good time.

My story? Over 3 years caching with just under 40 GCs found. No FTFs. No caching buddies. I actually like caching alone. Never attended an event either.

Yes, my favorite part is also being shown new places to explore.

So do I care what others think or feel I have to be 'validated'? :anicute:Naaah... I enjoy myself and that's all that counts to me, so rock on Soobax!

Don't get discouraged. Just enjoy the sport.

I look at it this way. Everyone will have their own pace. I tend to try and pack in as many caches as I can in a day I try to plan out my route when I head out. So ends up being pretty fast paced for me and my Son. Which works for us fine. On the other hand at that pace We really miss a lot of what some of the caches are all about. Now on the other hand Is my Dad he just got into caching as well and lets just say when we go out together I have to slow the pace up. He likes to just take it real easy. But that is his pace and I respect that.

One of the people I work with has been Caching since 2001 and only has 120ish finds. Though he has finds like in 8 states. So I would say your pace is just fine as long as you enjoy what you are doing. :-)

As far as "old timers", I have been told by one that you aren't a real cacher until you have a thousand finds.

Which donkey-tail said that?

BD, although I would love to say, I would rather not out another cacher negatively on the forums. :anicute:

Edited to add, I have been to events where I have asked folks where they are from or what their handle is and may have said that I haven't seen them in logs anywhere and have gotten the response that they only have x number of finds.

Noobs, I don't care. The only difference between a geocacher and a non-geocacher is one find. Maybe not even that, if you have one DNF I consider you a cacher. If you have logged in to any of the sites and hit the road with a GPS to find a cache you are a cacher.

Edited by DoctorWho

Lots of nice things said here, so I really can't say much else except just know that, in whatever hobby we do, there's always those who view it as some sort of competition.

I run into this all the time when I ride my Harley. People on other motorcycles *apologize* to me for not having one. I'm like, "don't apologize, just ride what you want. My first bike was a Honda Spree scooter". I only have one because I've wanted one since I was a kid, not because I think I had to have one. I'm half-tempted to trade it in for a smaller model from another manufacturer to get a little better gas mileage, but then I'd kick myself 'cause I love it so much. :anicute:

Same with boaters, same with sports teams, same with <insert hobby here>. There's always someone who's in it to "win" and then go on to something else.

Just ignore them. With reference to Geocaching, i'm a total n00b. I have found 4 so far, but I take my time, take my dogs for walks, and if I can't find it, that just means we'll get to come back... it gets us out of the house with a goal other than walking around the block.

Hey, I cache alone and I have not attended any "event functions"....I have met a few wonderfully nice people/cachers, but I enjoy caching for me...I think it is an individual game that can be played by a team or buddies...I don't have a problem with that, but, when I sign the log, I want to know it was me that drove to, searched, found the cache container and signed the log....not sign a log that someone else found...Now that is just me. But, I think you need to re-think what you want from geocaching and then go for it. Only you will know. This game is no different then any other game....the games is made up of the same kind of people...you you can have fun with, some will run you down, some will like you, some will dislike you, some will be envious off you and so on, but that is life, isn't it? I love this game and I play it all, Premium Member, place caches for others to find and enjoy, and I go and find as many as I can....The numbers you rack up are important, because no one is going to give you a money prize or a certificate for your finds. Just enjoy the thrill of going to places you have never, but should have been and think of all the places you have yet to visit. It is a heck of a journey and whether it is with someone or just by your self, it still a beautiful ride. Happy Trail and you are never alone...

Many agreeable sympathies already expressed....chief among them, don't sweat the small stuff.

Some or many might view it as negativity, but I've a long-practiced habit when I'm asked questions I think are really none of their business or too personal: "Why do you need to know?" And it's rare-to-never when the answer they've given (if one) was satisfactory enough for me to feel compelled to answer the original inquiry. Plus it usually closes the subject.

When one of "them" comes prying, if they wanta get snooty when you tell 'em you're a noob? Just consider yourself lucky that they so quickly exposed themselves for what they are.....and would you really wanta befriend or associate yourself with someone that shallow? For that's what they are!

Enjoy the game you enjoy, the way you do. And don't let others change that, or even try. There's nothing in the 'Manual of Mankind' that makes you responsible for living up (nor down) to their standards. It's the close-minded who are penalizing themselves - & are the real losers.

~*

OK, I didn't read all the posts, but what I read was all true, lol... So why I'm posting??? Well, because I'm newbie two... a Few finds, and today I went to the first event. Before this I knew NO geocachers at all, so I was a little worried how it will be, to my surprise, was really nice, I made clear that I was a newbie, first of all, my English is not perfect (I'm from Chile) so I can't say right some geocaching words, 'cause I have no idea how to pronounce them.

The thing, is that the event was great, I didn't talk to a lot of people, but they asked me how many caches I had, so I said 3, and they were giving me advices and stuff like that... I felt was really nice, and I really want to go to next event.

Maybe I will meet someone like the people you describe, and for sure if they ask me I will try to say my finds with proud, and remember to myself why I like geocaching!

It's an sport, so some people goes jogging to make good marks, other to excersice, others to get out of their routine... And who cares??? He / She is just jogging and who cares???

Just have fun, because life is too short to be worried about others people thoughts!

...snip...

Forget about what anyone else thinks. The motorcycle community has a saying that goes, "Ride your own ride." What it means is to not get influenced by what someone else thinks is the way to ride. Don't ride faster than your comfort level. Don't go places where you aren't having a good time. I would think that the same applies here. If the events in your area are like that and it's not good for you, don't go to them.

...snip...

Pithy words to live by.

As a relative newbie myself, I've run into my share of "caching snobs" and at one point fretted over it (particularly when it came to how my placed caches were perceived). At one point I cared about getting FTFs, and whether my numbers were high enough.

The bottom line, though, is that this September my kids went back to school, and instead of relating their video game achievements (like nearly every other kid) in response to the customary "tell me about your summer" essay, they told of road trips and hiking and learning about science and technology and visiting nearly every playground in the county. And we spent so much meaningful time together, getting fresh air and exercising.

I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I won't let someone else's bad attitude take it away either.

OK, I didn't read all the posts, but what I read was all true, lol... So why I'm posting??? Well, because I'm newbie two... a Few finds, and today I went to the first event. Before this I knew NO geocachers at all, so I was a little worried how it will be, to my surprise, was really nice, I made clear that I was a newbie, first of all, my English is not perfect (I'm from Chile) so I can't say right some geocaching words, 'cause I have no idea how to pronounce them.

The thing, is that the event was great, I didn't talk to a lot of people, but they asked me how many caches I had, so I said 3, and they were giving me advices and stuff like that... I felt was really nice, and I really want to go to next event.

Maybe I will meet someone like the people you describe, and for sure if they ask me I will try to say my finds with proud, and remember to myself why I like geocaching!

It's an sport, so some people goes jogging to make good marks, other to excersice, others to get out of their routine... And who cares??? He / She is just jogging and who cares???

Just have fun, because life is too short to be worried about others people thoughts!

I was at a geocaching mega-event last weekend (500 people plus) and met a nice fellow from Bolivia. He's been caching over a year, but has like 3 caches in his country. There are lots of reasons that great geocachers may not have big numbers!

...but some of the attendees are SO FOCUSED on how many finds I have etc. When I tell them I have less then 40 they become quite pretencious and act as though there must be some kind of problem.

My advice is to reply to someone asking how many finds you have with, "Less than I want to have" or something similar. It's true I'd guess, because most of us wish we'd been able to cache more. But it tells the person that you're not interested in discussing specific numbers.

And if they persist with it, just change it around and start asking about their find count and which finds around here are the best ones. These folks generally LOVE to be asked that question because they get to brag a little about finding so many caches that they've identified the good ones, and you get to actually listen to something you care to hear.

Either that, or pretend you need to go ask a local reviewer a secret question about a cache you're thinking of placing and excuse yourself.

...but some of the attendees are SO FOCUSED on how many finds I have etc. When I tell them I have less then 40 they become quite pretencious and act as though there must be some kind of problem.

My advice is to reply to someone asking how many finds you have with, "Less than I want to have" or something similar. It's true I'd guess, because most of us wish we'd been able to cache more. But it tells the person that you're not interested in discussing specific numbers.

I was thinking that you could tell that person that every slice of pizza that is eaten at the event counts as a find. After hearing that I bet they leave you alone and spend the rest of the night chowing on pizza.... :anicute:

The best thing about geocaching is that it is open to anyone. The worst part about geocaching is... that it is open to anyone!

Hear here!

Not all cachers are like that, so I am sorry you are getting discouraged. I'm a newb too, but so far I'm getting a really positive vibe. Although, I don't really attend events because I'm pretty shy at social events. It is a goal of mine to meet more cachers.

Maybe you'll come down to Vancouver some time. :anicute::D

I've been to events around here. I don't recall being asked for my count, nor has the subject come up in casual conversation. What is talked about more are some of the fun caches and the hard ones with plenty of hints given out. Perhaps recognition of some challenge achievement is mentioned, but I don't view that as a focus on numbers. Perhaps you just ran into some odd balls or hyper competitive types. I would still go and if someone asks you about your count, simply tell them if is so important they can look it up on the website.

Jim

1. When someone says they haven’t seen your name in any logs, pleasantly remind them that you don’t have a lot of finds and that for that reason alone, it is not likely that they would have seen your name.

1.1. I’ve never told anyone that I haven’t seen their name in logs. I have, however, told them “Oh, I’ve seen your name.”

1.1.1. Correction: I may have commented that I haven’t seen someone’s name in a log, but only in the context of asking if they are new to the area or in the context of telling them that I’ll have to keep my eyes open to see when our paths cross. This is always in a positive way.

1.2. I find it sort of fun to look at a log and see the name of a cacher who I know or whose name I’ve seen … particularly if I’m a long way from home. It is not, however, a competition.

2. I don’t think I cache just for the numbers. However, I get a degree of enjoyment from knowing that I know where caches are. I like to be able to drive down the street and tell my wife or friends: “There’s a cache over there.” To do that, requires having found the caches and requires finding lots of them.

2.1. Apart from being out and about in interesting places, I enjoy finding caches. I get a good feeling when I find a cache, especially if it is a very clever hide or in a great location. To keep getting this good feeling requires finding more caches, and as a result, building the numbers.

2.2. I use the numbers as a sort of personal goal. Have I developed enough skill to find “X” caches during the course of a week/month/year?

3. The reward is in the journey.

4. I’ve heard of some of the legends of geocaching who have given it up and archived their legendary caches because the game changed for they and they stopped enjoying it.

5. Life is not just a great big game off hide-and-seek.

6. Someone once told me: “Its not about how big it is, but about how well you use it.”

6.1. We were talking about framing hammers.

6.1.1 You have a dirty mind.

6.2. The same goes for caching: Its not about how many you have found, but about how good the hides that you found were and how much fun you had looking.

My favorite part about caching is being shown places I never would have found on my own and being given the opportunity to explore new areas is a huge gift for me. How come others do not feel the same? Why has it become so competative? I thought it was supposed to be FUN.

I suspect that for some people, their favorite part of geocaching is FINDING CACHES. They could care less about being shown places they wouldn't have found and wouldn't view the opportunity to explore new areas as a huge gift. They want simple to find caches. The more caches they find the better. If you like exploring new areas or being shown new places and finding caches isn't so important, then perhaps you'd have more fun Waymarking. In Waymarking, you don't have to find anything, although most waymarkers are actually spending most of the their time finding places that fit one of the Waymarking categories and sharing it with others.

There are certainly many geocachers who try to place their caches in interesting places and encourage others to explore the area where they have hidden a cache. It may be that they are no longer the majority or it may just be that those who don't have this view tend to hide (and find) most of the caches. Fundamentally this is a game about finding caches. Don't expect it to change to satisfy your view of what is enjoyable or you will soon be posting about why aren't virtuals allowed anymore or what can be done to stop the dreaded MicroSpew.

Today I got FTF on this cache which stood unfound for 45 days after being published because even the FTF junkies couldn't be bothered hiking just a couple of miles for only one cache. I just hope the hider of that cache doesn't get discouraged like you. This was a well stocked cache on a very nice trail. Good coordinates too. The hider clearly put some thought into it.

There should be room in geocaching for different people who like different caches. Don't expect that everyone enjoys geocaching for the same reasons as you do. But also don't let them tell you that their reasons are the only valid ones.

I am mostly just looking for some support or confirmation...or reasoning behind the behaviour I have described. I feel pretty alone on this and do not want the attitudes of others destroy an activity I love.

(I know it is best to ignore those who "ruin your chance of a good time" I am trying not to be affected by it but I am running a little thin at the moment..lol)

Hi There... I've read thru the thread so far... I agree wholeheartedly with those who recommend NOT letting it bother you... Fact is you probably don't keep count of the NICE cachers... you enjoy them... but one always notices the thorns, and feels the pain.

My one suggestion as a newbie to an old pro like yourself (I'm still under 20 finds by a long shot) would be to plan next year to come up to the Kootenay's West or East (we're up east). There are lots of caches this way, most are pleasant locals and finds... a few can be annoying, but solveable... I've had many retries on a few, but got them all eventually. Even a few that evade high count cachers... but I got them...

Good scenery and pleasant experiences and some real challenges too. Winter is coming on so its probably late for this year. We're still caching but have to travel a bit further and the snow is coming down the mountains a bit further each week... but the valleys are only getting periodic dustings... But 09 is probably the best time... There are even a few cache events now and then... I missed this year, and the Cranbrook get together is next week and I can't get there (car trouble).

Look forward to seeing you listed in some of the local caches!

Doug VE7RXC

Numbers are pointless...memories are priceless..

We all cache in our own way... I am pretty proud to say that most of my cache finds ....I can remember something about that cache in particular..be it crappy weather, be it the great view, be it the company, be it the 5 times I was there before I found it...

Caching is a sport that you tailor to your lifestyle...your enjoyment...everyone gets something different from it..

Don't let someone elses caching style get to you...we all are here together, for different reasons..ENJOY YOUR caching experiences!!!

i agree with most of the people here, I like the game because like you it takes me to places I have never been and to older places that I had forgotten about. For me caching is all about allowing myself to be free to discover what the world has to offer and the stat page is a management tool to see where I have been. I went to my first event and while I was there no one asked me how many finds I had I enjoyed the food and the company and I met a cacher who hit my hide page several times I really enjoyed the talk we had and learned a lot from him.. I think you should find what makes you happy and grab on with both hands.

i agree with most of the people here, I like the game because like you it takes me to places I have never been and to older places that I had forgotten about. For me caching is all about allowing myself to be free to discover what the world has to offer and the stat page is a management tool to see where I have been. I went to my first event and while I was there no one asked me how many finds I had I enjoyed the food and the company and I met a cacher who hit my hide page several times I really enjoyed the talk we had and learned a lot from him.. I think you should find what makes you happy and grab on with both hands.

The point of my post is this - I have attended 2 events so far in my caching career and although they have been absolutely amazing, the people in charge of organizing them have so much dedication and passion for caching its incredible - but some of the attendees are SO FOCUSED on how many finds I have etc. When I tell them I have less then 40 they become quite pretencious and act as though there must be some kind of problem.

Don't worry... geocachers who obsess over the size of someone else's stats might be doing so for the same reason why some guys worry about... well... this is a FAMILY forum... I ain't sayin' nuthin' more than THAT! :laughing:

All ya gotta do if someone asks you about the size of your stats is to smile and say "Enough to really love this sport!"

Then immediately ask them about the coolest location they've ever experienced. Then go right into some of coolest experiences you've had so far and ask about other locations.

That's how you take charge and pre-emptively de-rail those guys who are obsessed over the size of one's numbers. :anibad:

I have been caching for over a year now but only have just under 40 caches found. I work two jobs, have no friends that want to cache, and do not have a lot of time to cache but I spend the majority of the free time I do have caching. If I could cache all day every day I would - but unfourtunately this is just unrealistic.

The point of my post is this - I have attended 2 events so far in my caching career and although they have been absolutely amazing, the people in charge of organizing them have so much dedication and passion for caching its incredible - but some of the attendees are SO FOCUSED on how many finds I have etc. When I tell them I have less then 40 they become quite pretencious and act as though there must be some kind of problem... I have been asked following the stats conversation if my GPS might be innacurate, or If I only cache in my own community, etc. When I respond no a common answer is " Oh thats suprising, I haven't seen your name on any cache logs..." Do people really monitor or care about others business so much as to search logs for my finds???? It hurts my feelings to think how quick to assum some people can be and really makes me not want to continue something I love because the passion for it is sort of destroyed. Maybe there are people out there that attend events and aren't cachers and are just there to ruin things? Could this be why people have adopted such negative assumptions about new cachers like myself?

My frustration and discouragement comes from a world of different perspectives (I guess.) My favorite part about caching is being shown places I never would have found on my own and being given the opportunity to explore new areas is a huge gift for me. How come others do not feel the same? Why has it become so competative? I thought it was supposed to be FUN. I am afraid that some people are losing the spirit of caching and getting caught up in the politics and stats and FTF that they are missing the most important parts (our beautiful world.) I am also dissapointed to see the amount of these kinds of people who are willing to destroy whatever enviornment needed to find the cache. With the race for FTF people (at least in my area) go to great lengths to be that first finder and will ruin anything in their path to do so. I understand the rush and feeling of accomplishment that comes with FTF but I really wish people would be more respectful of the environment - and myself.

I am mostly just looking for some support or confirmation...or reasoning behind the behaviour I have described. I feel pretty alone on this and do not want the attitudes of others destroy an activity I love. (I know it is best to ignore those who "ruin your chance of a good time" I am trying not to be affected by it but I am running a little thin at the moment..lol)

If you live long enough....you will care less and less about what others think about you. Some people achieve this status at a young age but it took me many years. So many years wasted worrying about what others think or "might" think. Pitiful.

You have 40 caches? Man! That's a lot! I have 30. Of course most of mine are "big piles of sticks" finds! Kinda proud of that!! :D

Anyway, with age comes wisdom....usually.

Now, I gotta go.....there is a great big Pile Of Sticks waiting for me out there.....somewhere! :anibad::laughing::)