selling personal geocoins

sweetlife

Hello, we were thinking and talking amoungst ourselves and been seeing people selling off their geocoin collections lately and for whatever reason it may be, but it is a shame, but hey what people got to do they got to do, sometimes we have no choice, but here is something we do like to say. Our coins have mostly been traded for and to tell you all the truth we went all out, for being our first coin ever made. We made them trackable, they are nice big geocoins and pretty heavy, and they were a big expense, all paid out of our pocket, but we really like the design we came up with and it turned out great. We have realized that our coins have been liked alot and we hardly have any left, they went quick, but in the process of trading for our geocoins, we have met many new people here in the forumns and to highly speak of, many new friends. We do however would like to say everyone that we have traded with and that has our geocoins in their posession, if they for some reason have to get rid of their geocoins, we would like to know if you would be so kind in sending us a message and at least have the courtisy to ask us before you sell it on ebay if we would like to have it back. We would like to be the first ones to be able to purchase this coin back before someone else has the chance of getting it. We would be honored to have our geocoin back, and if anything ever came up like a event or charity or something where people need donations we would gladly give back to the community of Geocaching. If forever there was a day we had to get rid of our geocoins we traded with we do the same and it is so we just appreciate this in return.

Just to let everyone know this is not ment to hurt anyones feelings or tended to make rude remarks back or saying our coin is better then anyone elses. We are not like that. People that know us do know that, Just saying something we been thinking about and wanted to get it off our shoulders...hope everyone just understands where we are comming from.

Have a great day/weekend everyone.

Cache on!

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

While I understand where you are coming from, you have to understand a few things. If you trade the coin, then you lose all rights to it. It's not the same as gifting a coin to someone. It will sting the first time, and probably even the second. But remember that you gave value for value so it is not much different than had you sold the coin to some person. Also you must remember that someone might be selling your coin on eBay 2 years down the road. I doubt they will be taking the time to find who they traded what coin with and so forth. It's just unrealistic. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but you are going to get your feelings hurt if you put unrealistic expectations on these coins. Good luck though.

Even if you give the coin to someone, you lose all rights to it. It's a gift, not a loan. I do not think it's a very nice thing to sell coins who are given to someone, but if they want to do it, it's there choise.

It is a different thing when someone gives you a coin, but under 'no selling' condition. When you exepted the gift, you except the conditions to it.

BTW, when i speak of 'you' I do not adress this to someone personal (oops, bad english).

What you are asking has been said many times before in geocoin forums, I begged for my personals back rather than see them sell on ebay. But putting it into perspective there isn't much you can do (other than what you asked in this thread) to stop people from selling a coin.

Did you trade them all or were some sold to fund the project?

Technically, he is correct, but that hasn't stopped me from having the same feelings that you do about it, especially since I've never sold any of my coins, only given away or traded. The same goes for any of my 'traders.'

A few of mine have shown up on that e-place, and I've managed to let go of them emotionally, with one exception, because truly, I have little control over what happens to them once they are out of my hands, as much as I may not like it. That one exception was one that I traded to somebody in friendship (I thought -- their view on friends and trading turned out to be less than they let on), but a bit later, it turned up for sale. I was hurt and angry :laughing::D, angry enough that I bought it myself, for over eight times what it cost to have it made! Good Grief!!

Because my coins aren't trackable, I attached a travel bug tag to it and called it Are You My Friend?, TBYTHR, and set it free. It's happily traveling the world and is currently in Germany. As for the person who sold it, I like to think that there was a brief 'Uh-oh' moment when they saw who bought it. I've since seen that person, and based on their actions then, I think there is a little remorse.

But now, it's over and done with and I like watching where that coin goes next. :D

i totally can understand what barry and val wanted to say with this thread.

and i can agree to it, too. i have one of their personal coins and could never

sell or give it away. it was a great gift and i keep it in honor!

thanks my friends for this one, again!

but i can also understand that some think different about this.

for me its a gift, or a trade and i would try everything else not to sell

these gifts!

All they are asking is if someone gets rid of the coin to just give them the first shot of getting the coin back. What is so bad about that. They are not asking to get it back for free, they would pay to get it back. I see no problem with that. Why shouldn't they get first dibs on their own personal coin?

Edited by joranda

All valid points. You do give up all rights when you give or trade a coin. That's why Barry and Val aren't demanding. They just want a little courtesy. You can tell someone it's not a big deal, don't let it disappoint you, but if someone sares enough to put it into words, you have to respect that. We haven't been traded or gifted yet (still pretty new), and am still designing our first coin, but if we give it to you, we're giving it to YOU. Can we control it? No. Will it hurt? Probably. So...sweetlife is just asking for a courtesy.

What you are asking has been said many times before in geocoin forums, I begged for my personals back rather than see them sell on ebay. But putting it into perspective there isn't much you can do (other than what you asked in this thread) to stop people from selling a coin.

We never intended to make our money back at all. We figure if we dont trade for coins we were going to try to buy them, so it all evens out.
Technically, he is correct, but that hasn't stopped me from having the same feelings that you do about it, especially since I've never sold any of my coins, only given away or traded. The same goes for any of my 'traders.'

A few of mine have shown up on that e-place, and I've managed to let go of them emotionally, with one exception, because truly, I have little control over what happens to them once they are out of my hands, as much as I may not like it. That one exception was one that I traded to somebody in friendship (I thought -- their view on friends and trading turned out to be less than they let on), but a bit later, it turned up for sale. I was hurt and angry :laughing::D , angry enough that I bought it myself, for over eight times what it cost to have it made! Good Grief!!

Because my coins aren't trackable, I attached a travel bug tag to it and called it Are You My Friend?, TBYTHR, and set it free. It's happily traveling the world and is currently in Germany. As for the person who sold it, I like to think that there was a brief 'Uh-oh' moment when they saw who bought it. I've since seen that person, and based on their actions then, I think there is a little remorse.

But now, it's over and done with and I like watching where that coin goes next. :D

That is so awesome to hear what you did. At least it is traveling and visiting places all over the world you otherwise never may ever get a chance to visit. Thanks for sharing Flutey :D
i totally can understand what barry and val wanted to say with this thread.

and i can agree to it, too. i have one of their personal coins and could never

sell or give it away. it was a great gift and i keep it in honor!

thanks my friends for this one, again!

but i can also understand that some think different about this.

for me its a gift, or a trade and i would try everything else not to sell

these gifts!

Thanks so kindly for what you said. It really means alot to us. More then you know.

sweetlife

All they are asking is if someone gets rid of the coin to just give them the first shot of getting the coin back. What is so bad about that. They are not asking to get it back for free, they would pay to get it back. I see no problem with that. Why shouldn't they get first dibs on their own personal coin?

Well said, that is all we are trying to say. AMEN :laughing:

All valid points. You do give up all rights when you give or trade a coin. That's why Barry and Val aren't demanding. They just want a little courtesy. You can tell someone it's not a big deal, don't let it disappoint you, but if someone sares enough to put it into words, you have to respect that. We haven't been traded or gifted yet (still pretty new), and am still designing our first coin, but if we give it to you, we're giving it to YOU. Can we control it? No. Will it hurt? Probably. So...sweetlife is just asking for a courtesy.
First of all I like to say that we are thankful to have a person say something like this and so meanful that we dont even know or ever seen in the forumns. Yes coutesy is all we ask. Very well said

so very well said. thanks!

rsg

We never intended to make our money back at all. We figure if we dont trade for coins we were going to try to buy them, so it all evens out.

Coins have migrated away from personal non trackables to commercial trackables, so it would stand to reason that people will sell anything on ebay since that is what drives most sales nowadays.

Coins have migrated away from personal non trackables to commercial trackables, so it would stand to reason that people will sell anything on ebay since that is what drives most sales nowadays.

Maybe someone could answer this then...

How does Moun10Bike stop the sale of his coins? I read somewhere that he freezes the coin somehow. Or did I just read something wrong?

Maybe someone could answer this then...

How does Moun10Bike stop the sale of his coins? I read somewhere that he freezes the coin somehow. Or did I just read something wrong?

From what I understand, Moun10Bike activates his coins before trading/gifting/selling them so he actually retains ownership. I could be wrong, but that is what I have read.

We wanted to thank everyone that has said nice things here in the forumsn about us. We do have alot of friends here in the forumns. It truley is nice to hear that if in any case someone had to get rid of their coins for any reason or cirumstances that have arised and they have one of ours in their collection that they would be so kind to give us first chances of us getting it back, that means so much to us more then anyone would know. Thank You Again,

From what I understand, Moun10Bike activates his coins before trading/gifting/selling them so he actually retains ownership. I could be wrong, but that is what I have read.

It is true that Moun10Bike (and a few geocoiners) activates his coins before passing them on. To the best of my knowledge he has never sold them himself, but has donated them to good causes to be sold -- the seller retaining those funds, not Moun10Bike. Most Moun10Bike coins are treasured by their owners and would never be sold. A very few have been sold on e-place with his permission, and another very few have been sold without permission. There have been rumors of one or more of those coins sold without permission being locked by him, but I don't know if that is true. In terms of tracking, those coins are/would be worthless. But still, once the coin is out of his possession, it is gone.

Edited by FluteFace

It is true that Moun10Bike (and a few geocoiners) activates his coins before passing them on. To the best of my knowledge he has never sold them himself, but has donated them to good causes to be sold -- the seller retaining those funds, not Moun10Bike. Most Moun10Bike coins are treasured by their owners and would never be sold. A very few have been sold on e-place with his permission, and another very few have been sold without permission. There have been rumors of one or more of those coins sold without permission being locked by him, but I don't know if that is true. In terms of tracking, those coins are/would be worthless. But still, once the coin is out of his possession, it is gone.

Hey Flutey, we dont know anything about the Moun10bike coins as we have never had a chance to ever move one along that has been in a cache, we have none the less ever laid on eyes on one. Hope to see a V1 some day. We hear they are beautiful. Would be such a honor and pleasure to have one in our collection some day but more likey wont, but we have faith, we have patience, and never know, things happen for a reason, and nothing wrong with wishfull think we may even get blessed with one someday.

Barry and Valarie

Mountain, WI.

sweetlife :D

Edited by sweetlife

Yep...I feel for ya too. I hope the ones I trade with would do the same for me in the event they no longer need or want my coin anymore and you aint kiddin...THEY GO FAST!!!

I never sold my coin either, but do realize I Gifted and traded them off Square N Square! Just would irk me to see someone else make a small profit from something I had no intentions on making a profit myself from, especially for the sake of makin a few bucks! Id never sell a gift coin and would like to believe no one would sell my Gifted coin.

Id like em back, but if someone asked me if they could sell it, Id let them do so...It aint mine anymore, but Id definatley offer a trade or a purchase price.

Nothing wrong with "putting the request out there." Some people will honor your request and others won't. I've slowly been learning to get over the disappointment when my requests have been disregarded. Others have been honorable and allowed me to give them something trackable to sell instead.

I would have to be in a pretty poor way before I parted with the personal coins I have received from people especially if I traded in person. I'll probably go to the grave with half my coins :D

I understand your attachment to your personal coins ;)

Well, I had my Isle Royale National Park Geocoin minted with the intent of selling them for whatever I could get out of them until I broke financially even (nearly $2,000 cost to me). I went the whole 9 yards with this coin--large size and thickness, 4 versions, trackable w/ laser etched numbers, and an icon--251 coins total). I did sort of limit the amount of coins any one person could purchase from me, but if they want to resell them.....I do not have a problem with that. Anthing that was left, I would trade.

Sweetlife..........speaking of trading. You offered a while back, and although I have not yet, broken even (soon though), I am willing to trade with you--either the BN or Copper regular editions or the LE antique silver. I know you purchased 1-2 coins from me, but thouight you'd like one of the others (probable the antique silver LE). Let me know and send me a picture of your coin you are willing to trade and what you would like from me if still interested. Please do this through my e-mail and not a PM. My forum topic on my coin is in here someplace!!.

I do have 4 XLE (antique bronze) with minor painting mistakes that are non-trackable (the tracking numbers have been ground off) if you would be interested in 1 of those--let me know as I have them up for sale at my store and have posted such in the coin topic.

Steve

Edited by hitechman

Well, you certainly don't have to worry about the coin you traded with me ending up on eway (event though I am an ewayer). Your coin is so clever and colorful and original! I keep my coins in a binder, but there are a few coins I just can't bring myself to file away, for fear of never seeing them once they enter "the vault". Yours is one of them!

Well, you certainly don't have to worry about the coin you traded with me ending up on eway (event though I am an ewayer). Your coin is so clever and colorful and original! I keep my coins in a binder, but there are a few coins I just can't bring myself to file away, for fear of never seeing them once they enter "the vault". Yours is one of them!
Awww...thank You very much for the kind words..we really appreciate that...more then you know...we do not ever regret of making our first coin, It was quite the pocket expense but you know what, all the trading we have done, we have made so many friend along the way thru trading is been so much fun, there is alot of great people out there, the value of our coin is nothing compaired to the value of the friendships we have made...to us that is priceless.